Anyone purchase a Sunpass for a rental car?

also, there's apparently a smartphone app now:
http://www.paytollo.com/pt_florida

no transponder needed.

not super clear website but seems they use the app to track you and/or you enter the plate number in the app and then they charge you the cash, non-discounted, toll fee. They bundle all your tolls for 96 hrs then charge your credit card that amount plus 40 cents fee - IF Im reading the website correctly.

just noticed that supposedly EZ Pass MIGHT WORK
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/traffic/os-ezpass-central-florida-tolls-20171109-story.html

"...The E-ZPasses will be functional on toll roads managed by the Central Florida Expressway Authority: 118 miles on State Roads 408, 414, 417, 429, 451, 528 and 429. They will not work on toll roads managed by the Florida Department of Transportation, like Florida’s Turnpike...."
But i see conflicting info elsewhere.

anyone know for sure?

edit: seems like not yet but was supposed to be "early spring"-
https://www.cfxway.com/agency-infor...18.2070492452.1524866202-211874763.1524866202

"...Beginning in early Spring 2018, the more than 35 million E-ZPass customers in 16 states — from Maine to North Carolina and west through Illinois — will experience the convenience of nonstop travel in Metro Orlando without fumbling for change at toll gantries...."​
Only parts of those roads are operated by CFXway; other sections are operated by the Turnpike Enterprise. You would need to be very careful if you wanted to avoid rental company charges. If you're in your own car and you're willing to pay cash or risk being billed for service charges if you go thru any Turnpike toll points, that might work.
also, there's apparently a smartphone app now:
http://www.paytollo.com/pt_florida

no transponder needed.

not super clear website but seems they use the app to track you and/or you enter the plate number in the app and then they charge you the cash, non-discounted, toll fee. They bundle all your tolls for 96 hrs then charge your credit card that amount plus 40 cents fee - IF Im reading the website correctly.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/paytollo-app-to-pay-tolls.3563188/

I was reading somewhere (of course I don't recall where) that some highways down there were going away from maned tolls. Was hoping it wasn't on 528 or anytime soon.
Toll booths are going away rapidly in South Florida. Miami-Dade County has zero toll booths. Everything is either SunPass or Toll By Plate (much more expensive, and an administrative charge is added). All of the Express Lanes I have seen are SunPass Only -- or pay a big fine -- no Toll By Plate. And a number of the exits from Palm Beach County south on the Florida Turnpike are SunPass or Toll By Plate only.

One thing a lot of people don't realize is that SunPass is not only more convenient, it's also a LOT cheaper. I checked a couple of Miami toll locations today and the SunPass savings were 32% off the posted tolls!

Once you get to Florida, the easiest place to get a SunPass is any Publix supermarket. Just go to Customer Service and pick one up.

Has anyone got any recent information on the use of EZPass on CFXway toll roads. I know it is supposed to be coming early spring 2018, which is now. Searching the interwebs and have not been able to find any information confirming if it works yet and/or what CFXway toll roads it have may have been installed on so far. We always use 417 between the airport and the World and 528 between MCO and Port Canaveral if we are going on a cruise, so mostly interested in comments from locals using those roads if they have seen signs saying that EZPass is working now. Thanks.

Once you get to Florida, the easiest place to get a SunPass is any Publix supermarket. Just go to Customer Service and pick one up.
How much is the SunPass at Publix as opposed to buying it through Alamo at MCO?

How much is the SunPass at Publix as opposed to buying it through Alamo at MCO?
There are two SunPasses. The sticker is $5 + tax, the portable transponder is $20 + tax. You can also order them online, but I assume you'd have to pay shipping. If you're going to be visiting Florida often, I would get the portable transponder and you can use it repeatedly.

I don't know if the rental car companies sell SunPass. They all have some method of handling Toll by Plate, but I don't know about SunPass. If they sell them, they should be the same price as Publix.

There are two SunPasses. The sticker is $5 + tax, the portable transponder is $20 + tax. You can also order them online, but I assume you'd have to pay shipping. If you're going to be visiting Florida often, I would get the portable transponder and you can use it repeatedly.

I don't know if the rental car companies sell SunPass. They all have some method of handling Toll by Plate, but I don't know about SunPass. If they sell them, they should be the same price as Publix.
Is the $5.00 sticker the one I can purchase at Publix? Do we put the sticker on the car window? The Toll reader recognizes it as we drive through Toll?

Is the $5.00 sticker the one I can purchase at Publix? Do we put the sticker on the car window? The Toll reader recognizes it as we drive through Toll?
Yes, either model goes on the windshield, but the $5 one cannot be moved to another car. Publix sells both models. Remember to remove it when you return the car.

You will also have to deposit funds via phone or web site to cover the tolls in advance. That's why it seems easier to buy it ahead of time online.

Yes, you can buy both types at Publix. Either one goes on the front windshield. Most people put them right behind the rearview mirror so there is no obstruction of the driver's vision.

You set up an account, pre-paying at least $10 into the account. When it gets below $10, you replenish the account either online, by phone, or automatically. I have two SunPasses -- a sticker on DW's car, and a portable on mine. I keep a credit card on file, and every time my balance gets to $10, they automatically bill the credit card for $25 so I have enough reserve.

Here's the webpage for SunPass: https://www.sunpass.com/index

Hmmm. I'm not sure if we will spend $10 on tolls. Perhaps someone will know an approximate.

1. We will travel from MCO to resort Sheraton Vistana Villages on International Drive (one way);
2. From SVV to Kennedy Space (round trip);
3. From SVV to Disney Springs (round trip);
4. From SVV to Animal Kingdom (round trip);
5. From SVV to Dolphin Resort where we will be leaving rental car.

Will those travels cost at least $10 in tolls? I was hoping for much less.

The link I gave you above has toll calculators that will give you that info.

Hmmm. I'm not sure if we will spend $10 on tolls. Perhaps someone will know an approximate.

1. We will travel from MCO to resort Sheraton Vistana Villages on International Drive (one way);
2. From SVV to Kennedy Space (round trip);
3. From SVV to Disney Springs (round trip);
4. From SVV to Animal Kingdom (round trip);
5. From SVV to Dolphin Resort where we will be leaving rental car.

Will those travels cost at least $10 in tolls? I was hoping for much less.

ssv to kennedy will approach $10 by itself, can exceed depending on the route you choose .....
if you go 528 all the way tolls are 2.25 + 1 + 1.25 = 4.50 each way
if you use 417 (often less traffic) 1.50 + 1.50 + 1 + 1.25 = 5.25 each way .....

airport to rooms $3 (417) or $2.25 (528) depending on route ....

from room to points in WDW you can avoid tolls

see https://www.cfxway.com/for-travelers/#

you'll go over $10 but shouldn't break $15 unless you get lost!

get a couple of rolls of quarters and watch the signs CAREFULLY .......

I'm worried if we decide not to get Sunpass, we will miss some Tolls. My co-worker missed one and got a charge on her credit card from the rental car company that was I believe around $25. Does anyone know how much the toll pass is that Alamo offers at the airport?

I'm worried if we decide not to get Sunpass, we will miss some Tolls. My co-worker missed one and got a charge on her credit card from the rental car company that was I believe around $25. Does anyone know how much the toll pass is that Alamo offers at the airport?
Alamo charges a $3.95 convenience charge for each day that the vehicle is driven thru a toll point. There is no charge for days when the vehicle does not go thru a toll point, or when tolls are paid in cash or by using a renter-supplied transponder.
https://www.alamo.com/en_US/car-rental-faqs/toll-charges/other-state-toll-options.html

If I have the transponder, and pull a camper, do I still just enter the vehicle tag number?

Alamo charges a $3.95 convenience charge for each day that the vehicle is driven thru a toll point. There is no charge for days when the vehicle does not go thru a toll point, or when tolls are paid in cash or by using a renter-supplied transponder.
https://www.alamo.com/en_US/car-rental-faqs/toll-charges/other-state-toll-options.html
However...that's just the "convenience charge" for Alamo billing you for the tolls at the Toll by Plate rate, which is higher than you'll pay with a SunPass.

The $3.95 does NOT include the tolls -- you pay the tolls PLUS $3.95 per day used.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter