Anyone purchase a Sunpass for a rental car?

You may still use your transponders to pay for tolls during the system maintenance period. Your toll transactions will be held beginning at 7PM on Tuesday, June 5, 2018, and will be submitted once the system is back on-line.

For customers who replenish with cash You should access your account prior to 7PM on Tuesday, June 5, 2018, to make sure that you have enough funds on your account to pay for any tolls you may use during the system maintenance period. If you do not believe there will be enough funds, please replenish your account prior to 7PM on Tuesday, June 5, 2018, to guarantee that you have funds to cover your toll transactions when they are processed once the system is back on-line.

For customers who replenish their accounts through Easy Pay Because your toll transactions will be held beginning Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 7PM, your credit card may be charged multiple times after the system comes back on-line, if your automatic replenishment amount does not cover the total amount of tolls incurred during the system maintenance period. We only want to ensure you are aware there may be multiple credit card transactions. If you wish to keep this from happening, go to the website and make an additional replenishment payment prior to 7PM on Tuesday, June 5, 2018.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
remember that a functioning transponder should always be charged b4 the (rental's) toll by plate system is accessed. Toll by plate is a backup for a functioning transponder.

I did not get an e-mail .... this is from the web site

It's strange I got the email, it came on Tuesday night. The thing that worries me is I pick up the car on June 6 and I was going to enter the license plate, etc., via the Sunpass App before I got on the tollway. Now I won't be able to put it into the system on Monday the 11th. Will have to set a reminder for myself to do that as we will be in one of the parks that day. They say you can back date the day for the rental vehicle, so I am thinking it will work. I will have the transponder in the vehicle. I got the the one you can take home and use again. I will just put the rental car info into the app on the 11th and hope for the best.

It's strange I got the email, it came on Tuesday night. The thing that worries me is I pick up the car on June 6 and I was going to enter the license plate, etc., via the Sunpass App before I got on the tollway. Now I won't be able to put it into the system on Monday the 11th. Will have to set a reminder for myself to do that as we will be in one of the parks that day. They say you can back date the day for the rental vehicle, so I am thinking it will work. I will have the transponder in the vehicle. I got the the one you can take home and use again. I will just put the rental car info into the app on the 11th and hope for the best.
The KEY thing is to put funds into the account prior to June 5th, or sign up for EasyPay for automatic credit card replenishment. As PP said, the tag is nothing but a backup.

The transponder will work
; you just won't be able to do anything with your account online for a week. SunPass is a very easy system to use; don't make it more difficult than it is.

You don't actually need to add the rental car for the system to work. That's just a backup in case the transponder doesn't get read.

They also say that the Toll-by-Plate web site will be down, and that all toll transactions will be held. Although they don't specifically say so, it seems logical that Toll-by-Plate transactions won't be forwarded to the rental car servicers until the transactions go through the system after the maintenance window.

But this sounds like a major system upgrade. Which causes me to wonder … could this be in preparation for EZ-Pass interoperability? The Turnpike still hasn't announced anything regarding that yet.

But this sounds like a major system upgrade. Which causes me to wonder … could this be in preparation for EZ-Pass interoperability? The Turnpike still hasn't announced anything regarding that yet.

Please, please, please let this be the reason. I want to be able to use my EZ-Pass in Florida.

Ok....question from your dopey moderator. Is there a set in stone reason that the transponders have to be up behind the rear view mirror? Yes, I forgot mine in the car yesterday...again! And this time it was at MCO, so I highly doubt they are going to call me and then send it home to me!!! I was all set to remove it, but then ran into a huge torrential rain storm. I missed the turn into the terminal, ended up headed to downtown Orlando! Ah, not where I wanted to go. I was so stressed by the time I got to the rental return area, I completely forgot to remove the transponder. I just can't see it up there. Can you put it someplace else, in view?? Just curious.

Ok....question from your dopey moderator. Is there a set in stone reason that the transponders have to be up behind the rear view mirror? Yes, I forgot mine in the car yesterday...again! And this time it was at MCO, so I highly doubt they are going to call me and then send it home to me!!! I was all set to remove it, but then ran into a huge torrential rain storm. I missed the turn into the terminal, ended up headed to downtown Orlando! Ah, not where I wanted to go. I was so stressed by the time I got to the rental return area, I completely forgot to remove the transponder. I just can't see it up there. Can you put it someplace else, in view?? Just curious.
I think the official User Agreement says it has to be there. The reason is that it provides the best chance of a successful interaction with the readers. I know people have said they've left the transponder on their seat and it still worked, and that if you have a transponder in the glove compartment which for some reason you don't want to be read, that you should put it in an RF-shielding bag.

So it will probably work if you have it somewhere else, but technically you'll be in violation of the agreement, and if it doesn't work, the Turnpike would be within their rights to charge you extra or even terminate your account. But normally if you have your license plate registered to the account, even if you don't get a successful read, they'll just charge you the SunPass rate.

I see a lot of transponders all over the place, including on the top of the dash instead of the window. I put mine behind the rear-view mirror specifically so that it is out of view and doesn't block my vision, but I'm sure anywhere on the front windshield will work fine.

And I don't think SunPass has "placement police!"

You don't actually need to add the rental car for the system to work. That's just a backup in case the transponder doesn't get read.
That's correct. The only issue would be if a transponder or reader malfunctioned.

If you DO register your rental car, one of the good features is that you can elect to have that registration EXPIRE at a certain time. So even if you leave the transponder in the rental car, you won't be charged any tolls after the expiration time you set during the registration process.

Also, once you have a SunPass account, you don't really need the transponder. If you leave it at home, just go into your SunPass account online or by phone and add the rental vehicle. You'll be charged at the SunPass rate via Toll by Plate.

Last edited:
So it sounds like we'll be fine, it shouldn't be too big of a deal to log in when the system comes back up and add the license plate of the rental, but since we have the transponder it should work with that also. But, now I'm a little confused on the replenishment. I have $10 on my account now. We'll be driving from MCO to Universal, Universal to Wilderness Lodge, WL to Legoland and back, then WL to Vero Beach resort, then back to MCO. Any guestimates on the toll amounts for all of that? Should I go ahead and add another $10 to make a total of $20 or add more? TIA!

So it sounds like we'll be fine, it shouldn't be too big of a deal to log in when the system comes back up and add the license plate of the rental, but since we have the transponder it should work with that also. But, now I'm a little confused on the replenishment. I have $10 on my account now. We'll be driving from MCO to Universal, Universal to Wilderness Lodge, WL to Legoland and back, then WL to Vero Beach resort, then back to MCO. Any guestimates on the toll amounts for all of that? Should I go ahead and add another $10 to make a total of $20 or add more? TIA!
I believe you can get toll estimates on the SunPass site. That would be a much better option than the guess of any of us here.

That's correct. The only issue would be if a transponder or reader malfunctioned.

If you DO register your rental car, one of the good features is that you can elect to have that registration EXPIRE at a certain time. So even if you leave the transponder in the rental car, you won't be charged any tolls after the expiration time you set during the registration process.

Also, once you have a SunPass account, you don't really need the transponder. If you leave it at home, just go into your SunPass account online or by phone and add the rental vehicle. You'll be charged at the SunPass rate via Toll by Plate.
I always put the rental period in the system! I was just curious as to whether or not I could just place the transponder further down, beneath the mirror, so that I could see a bit of it and not leave it behind! My EZ pass transponder is way below the mirror since my CX5 seems to have a small computer above the mirror!!!
Thanks all!!!

I always put the rental period in the system! I was just curious as to whether or not I could just place the transponder further down, beneath the mirror, so that I could see a bit of it and not leave it behind! My EZ pass transponder is way below the mirror since my CX5 seems to have a small computer above the mirror!!!
Thanks all!!!
I think as long as it's somewhere in the center of the windshield, and not behind any sort of metallicized glass, it should be OK and in conformance.

Just FYI, I had occasion to call Sunpass support yesterday for a routine matter. During the conversation I asked about the system closure June 5-11. The rep said they were basically completely re-doing the website to make it easier to use for customers. I asked about EZ Pass and she said there was no EZ Pass addition to the system that she knew about, and that was not the purpose of this closure.

Thanks all!!!

Mrs stabs her's to the glass well below the mirror and it works fine ... does not leave fixed all the time cuz it is a rag top and transponder could get stolen when parked with top down...

I think as long as it's somewhere in the center of the windshield, and not behind any sort of metallicized glass, it should be OK and in conformance.

Mrs stabs her's to the glass well below the mirror and it works fine ... does not leave fixed all the time cuz it is a rag top and transponder could get stolen when parked with top down...
Thanks guys! That should solve the problem!! If I can actually see the darn thing, I won't forget it!! Perhaps I should start stopping at the cell phone lot both ways....to log my info into the system upon arrival, then to remove the transponder before dropping the car off!

Thanks all!!!
We usually put ours just below the mirror so that I can see it and it's always registered the tolls correctly.
Almost left it in the vehicle the first couple of times we used it (was tucked up behind the mirror).
Fortunately the Alamo agent who was checking us in noticed and gave it back to us.
Ever since then, I mount it lower so that I can see it.
I've tried it in several positions from left corner to right (always near the top of the windshield) and it has always been picked up.

I've even just held it in my hand when riding as a pass' .... but this was in the 'vert with the top down.

p.s. if forgetting the transponder is an issue you may want to look at paytollo.com which uses your cell phone . . . . as a local I don't find it interests me, but for a visitor . . .

I once associated the (rental car) plate # with my transponder account. Returned the car a day earlier than I expected and ended up paying an unexpected toll for the next renter (who presumably didn't have a transponder.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter