Anyone purchase a Sunpass for a rental car?

We usually put ours just below the mirror so that I can see it and it's always registered the tolls correctly.
Almost left it in the vehicle the first couple of times we used it (was tucked up behind the mirror).
Fortunately the Alamo agent who was checking us in noticed and gave it back to us.
Ever since then, I mount it lower so that I can see it.
I've tried it in several positions from left corner to right (always near the top of the windshield) and it has always been picked up.
The first time I forgot the transponder, I returned the car to the Dolphin, and they quite unexpectedly called me and offered to mail it home for me, at my expense!!!
I'll be mounting it lower from now on!!!

I once associated the (rental car) plate # with my transponder account. Returned the car a day earlier than I expected and ended up paying an unexpected toll for the next renter (who presumably didn't have a transponder.)
It's a good idea to then go back into the account and change the return date/time! I guess you really don't need the actual transponder in there if you've entered your plate info!!!

If I have a sunpass transponder in my vehicle and add my rental car to my sunpass account how do I know that I won't be charged by Hertz or Alamo pay by plate system? Or does the transponder I have override the pay by plate system from the rental cars?

If I have a sunpass transponder in my vehicle and add my rental car to my sunpass account how do I know that I won't be charged by Hertz or Alamo pay by plate system? Or does the transponder I have override the pay by plate system from the rental cars?
If the toll plaza successfully reads the physical transponder, the account associated with that transponder will be charged for the toll.

If the toll plaza successfully reads the physical transponder, the account associated with that transponder will be charged for the toll.
And if the toll plaza fails to read the physical transponder, the system uses toll-by-plate to charge the toll to the registered plate. That’s why you add the plate of the rental car to your transponder account when you pick up the rental (and remove it at the end of the rental period; with Sunpass, their app lets you preset the end date for your rental; with the CFX Uni, their app requires a separate operation to remove the plate of the rental car).

Is it wise to remove the rental car vehicle from my Sunpass account immediately after I return it so someone else does not use it for tolls? Yes I will also input the start and end times of my rental period in my Sunpass account.

Is it wise to remove the rental car vehicle from my Sunpass account immediately after I return it so someone else does not use it for tolls? Yes I will also input the start and end times of my rental period in my Sunpass account.
If the rental vehicle was added to your SunPass account property by using the rental check box and start/end dates, I don't believe you need to immediately remove it from your SunPass account after returning the vehicle.

There are two separate toll road operators in Central FL and tolls from the other one (E-PASS) can take a day (or longer) to post to your SunPass account. If you remove the vehicle too soon from your SunPass account, it's possible the toll could be sent to the rental agency instead.

And if the toll plaza fails to read the physical transponder, the system uses toll-by-plate to charge the toll to the registered plate. That’s why you add the plate of the rental car to your transponder account when you pick up the rental (and remove it at the end of the rental period; with Sunpass, their app lets you preset the end date for your rental; with the CFX Uni, their app requires a separate operation to remove the plate of the rental car).

If this works when they fail to read the physical transponder, does this mean it might be possible for me to add my rental car plate to my SunPass account and be charged appropriately without using a transponder? I placed the order for the portable transponder on 2/6 and its not here yet and I'm afraid it won't arrive in time.

Just wondering if you have contacted Sunpass and asked them if they have sent out the transponder? I just ordered mine online and hope to get it soon.

Just wondering if you have contacted Sunpass and asked them if they have sent out the transponder? I just ordered mine online and hope to get it soon.

I have not called yet because their website had said 4-5 business days and I can see the transponder activated in my account. I'm afraid I won't get it in time and so looking for other solutions. I may have to go to the bank to pick up rolls of quarters. 😥

If this works when they fail to read the physical transponder, does this mean it might be possible for me to add my rental car plate to my SunPass account and be charged appropriately without using a transponder? I placed the order for the portable transponder on 2/6 and its not here yet and I'm afraid it won't arrive in time.
JimMIA, who frequents this board, may be able to comment from more personal experience on this. I have no experience in this regard, since I always have had the transponder mounted in my rental.

Last edited:
actually daughter had a bad transponder for quite a while and all tolls were charged to the account.

the system works in steps when you pass thru a 'gate'

first it looks for a transponder and if found the account is charged, if not found:::

the tag is electronically read and the system searches the SUNPASS (and other similar system) database for the tag .... if found, the account is charged ... this is why it is important to have the rental's tag registered to the account. (this is the backup in case there is a hiccup reading the transponder. Transponder at one time had batteries and this backup procedure was very helpful if your battery died ... which was what happened to daughter .... she did not notice the old style unit had stopped 'beeping' ... it was dead) AND why it is important to DELETE the rental info when you return the car!! The SUNPASS APP has a special entry when you denote RENTAL, and will allow you to enter an expire date/time . . .

The system will next check for 'fleet registered' tags ... most rental are registered to a group account ... the rental company does not want to get toll violations! For the most part they hire a third party company to manage their fleet tolls. This is why most rentals don't have a transponder ... they are 'fleet'

If the tag is not associated with an account the system will change to 'toll by plate' where that system is in place.

Last edited:
actually daughter had a bad transponder for quite a while and all tolls were charged to the account.

the system works in steps when you pass thru a 'gate'

first it looks for a transponder and if found the account is charged, if not found:::

the tag is electronically read and the system searches the SUNPASS (and other similar system) database for the tag .... if found, the account is charged ... this is why it is important to have the rental's tag registered to the account. (this is the backup in case there is a hiccup reading the transponder. Transponder at one time had batteries and this backup procedure was very helpful if your battery died ... which was happened to daughter .... she did not notice the old style unit had stopped 'beeping' ... it was dead)

The system will next check for 'fleet registered' tags ... most rental are registered to a group account ... the rental company does not want to get toll violations! For the most part they hire a third party company to manage their fleet tolls. This is why most rentals don't have a transponder ... they are 'fleet'

If the tag is not associated with an account the system will change to 'toll by plate' where that system is in place.
Thanks, Capt. for the comprehensive summary of the toll charging algorithm.

Just received it today. WHEW! So took about 2 weeks including weekends and a holiday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter