Anyone NOT Worried About the Upcoming "Crisis"?

I personally don't believe the middle class is falling into a lower class. I saw a study recently about how 'low class' people are doing way better than ever before. They have a lot more money, cars, tv's, etc. than the 'low class' from previous years. I am not good with citing studies and passing it along verbatim, so forgive me for not being more specific.

I grew up in a middle class home. We had one tv. We had 2 cars, but we did not buy new, and we kept them for a long long time. We lived in a very very small house, which was really common, but compared to today's middle class 'standard' home, you would think it was miniscule.

Another point is, think about how long Europeans have paid super high prices for gasoline for so long. They have weathered it. Civilization didn't collapse.

One more point...maybe we would have a little more money in our pockets, if the government wasn't going to bail out all those who have purchased homes beyond their means with this whole foreclosure bail-out govt. program.

One other thing...maybe it's different at your local stores, but I don't get this high cost of food thing. I have been paying about the same for groceries. I got milk for $1.99 the other day on special. I buy most of my items on special, but I always have...I am spending about the same. I can't think of one thing that costs a lot more than it used to...or that a special can't be found for it (and I don't mean running from store to store for specials either). I am actually really excited lately because the produce is in season and I am getting such a deal on strawberries, other berries, corn, etc.

I am 31, I don't remember as many people going to college when I was in junior high and high school. It wasn't a given back then like it is now. There wasn't as much help with financial aid and figuring it all out if you didn't have help, now people have their hands out early. I am from the south, the girls from poor families got married and the boys joined the military. I remember my high school guidance counselor telling me Hooters would be a good choice for me if I had aspirations of paying for college because my grades werent great. Thats exactly where I went until I saved up enough to go to college. Now they have whole departments and websites to help people get financial aid.

One more point...maybe we would have a little more money in our pockets, if the government wasn't going to bail out all those who have purchased homes beyond their means with this whole foreclosure bail-out govt. program.

One other thing...maybe it's different at your local stores, but I don't get this high cost of food thing. I have been paying about the same for groceries. I got milk for $1.99 the other day on special. I buy most of my items on special, but I always have...I am spending about the same. I can't think of one thing that costs a lot more than it used to...or that a special can't be found for it (and I don't mean running from store to store for specials either). I am actually really excited lately because the produce is in season and I am getting such a deal on strawberries, other berries, corn, etc.

I think you are vastly underestimating the ripple effect of a US mortgage banking collapse throughout the world. This problem is difficult to navigate and dangerous to ignore. I'm no more in favor of a government bail-out than anyone else but in the long run we will all breathe easier should the economy not tailspin out of control.

BTW, living in a major metropolitan area fosters competition. I have several different grocery store chains within a five mile radius as well as a few branches of each. Living outside a major metropolitan area is a completely different story. I watch food special like a hawk and I can because I don't have to drive far to purchase food from several different purveyers. That keeps prices down. I somehow think that's not the same as living in other parts of the country.

Not trying to interject politics in here, but…remember that we're getting our "news" about the economy from a national media of whom the vast majority are actively campaigning for a certain presidential candidate. Their objective is to paint an entirely bleak picture to pave the way for their candidate to win. Moreover, the vast majority of "reporters" know as much about economics as they do about astrophysics. Consumer prices are rising because the cost of oil is rising, due to a huge increase in demand, mostly from China. Since everything we buy is trucked around the country, those fuel costs increase the costs of goods. Our political class has chosen not to drill for oil in this country, where we have vast reserves, making us dependent on foreign oil.

Not trying to interject reality here, but you did in fact interject politics.

I don't think anyone benefits by sticking their heads in the sand to political/financial reality. I agree, there are abuses in the media because of the market and also because of bias, but pretending there is no problem, does not mean there is no problem.

Consumer prices are rising for many reasons, including the demand for oil from China, as you stated. Unfortunately, scientists have determined that drilling all of our own "vast" oil resources would barely put a dent in our demand and would be gone before our kids are adults.

The sky isn't falling, but we need to stop shooting the messenger and find some real leadership and creative solutions to problems...not to get political.:hippie:

Consumer prices are rising for many reasons, including the demand for oil from China, as you stated. Unfortunately, scientists have determined that drilling all of our own "vast" oil resources would barely put a dent in our demand and would be gone before our kids are adults.

The sky isn't falling, but we need to stop shooting the messenger and find some real leadership and creative solutions to problems...not to get political.:hippie:

Dh and I were talking last night. We can sent items to Mars and get photos back from there. But we still need oil for our cars gasoline?!?!?!? Its a mess and we need an incentive to get out from under it.

LOL!!! MY budget not only squeaks, it has to walk uphill in the snow!!!

Uphill, both ways, barefoot...

We did something last Saturday that we hadn't done in a long time - we went and saw a movie! I've been cutting back in many areas, and unfortunately, Mommy and Daughter Time at the Movies was one of the first things cut.

BTW - I'm really enjoying the commentaries here - and I'm very glad I'm not the only person out here not panicking - but some posters have some very good thoughts popcorn::

Most definitely.

We have become a nation of impulse buyers, owners, and wanters. Had we curbed our impulses and saved a bit, made rational decisions to own things when we could afford them rather than when we wanted them, we'd all be in better shape financially and not too far away from living the same life styles. Delaying gratification is not a bad thing. Buy a plasma once the prices have come down, not the day they come out. Don't buy the latest and greatest cell phone; opt for the next to the top of the line product. It's just all in planning and spending some of what you have rather than spending your expectations.

As far as living off of savings, it's better to have some savings to live off of rather than going into foreclosure or bankruptcy within months of a change in the economy.

I absolutely don't think civilization as we know it is coming to an end. Not even close but our life style will change as a result of higher energy costs.

I agree with everything you've said here. I don't think civilization is coming to an end, but I do think that we're going to be moving into a time when we experience some pain as a society. I don't think oil goes straight up from here, but overall, we're heading higher and so things are going to be a bit tougher on lower and lower middle income families.

And then there's the other "fiscal tsunami" heading to our shores....that's quoting our former GAO Head Comptroller David Walker. And that fiscal tsunami is the entitlement program promises that have been made that will never be fulfilled. This will put a tremendous amount of strain on our economy in the coming years. And there are no easy answers.

The only defense is to really and truly get serious about getting out of debt, staying out of debt and to begin saving much, much more than you think you'll need to retire. Unfortunately, I'm not all that confident that most Americans are going to grasp this concept until it's too late.

Just to comment about what the OP said. I'm not worried about America falling apart...I'm worried about me falling apart, well my family. I'm in school and the more gas and food prices go up, the more I have to work and the more I have to work the less I can go to school. Obviously the less I go to school the longer it takes me to get done and well you get the point! It's just very frustrating, and I've about had it!

Enough of the drama though...that really stinks that Pirates will be closed when you go! :sad2: Talk about devastation!

Granted........we've never seen $4.00 or more for a gallon of gas... but, we have seen recession type situations in this country before....anyone remember the 15% and 16% mortgage interest rates of the early 80's? Or the gas lines in the 70's? It always seems to appear worse in a Presidential election year also......is that my imagination or has anyone else noticed that? And, I don't think the war in Iraq has helped matters at all, either.......the sooner we're out of there, the better.......it always amazes me that our elected officials seem to look right past the problems our own country is experiencing and just keep sending billions of dollars to other countries.......most of which really don't want American help or if they do, at some point in the future will forget all about the help provided and turn on us anyway. Sorry if I offend anyone, but, I'm one of those "you gotta take care of your own first" which is a GOOD thing about our country .........everyone is entitled to their opinion.........

Not panicking, a little worried, but quite honestly I believe it wouldn't be such a panic if the media had something else to talk about. Think about it - in the days of 24 hour news stations, there is not that much "new" out there. So they will talk about something that affects everyone in order to get people to watch.

All in all, I think I am making more of an effort to use less gas more because of foreign dependency than price (although filling my tank for $60 did hurt:scared1: ).

I agree. I think a lot of this is hype. I'm not saying we're not feeling the impact of high gas and food prices, we are. But I think the media is making is so much worse by blathering on about it ad nauseum. The gas prices are spiking due to SPECULATION- that is what kills me.

All in all we are pretty fortunate. DH got a 6% raise this year and a bonus. We have about 40% of our house paid off. We have a car payment and a loan we took out to fence/landscape our house last year, but other than that, we're OK. I tend to freak out over money, but I'm keeping the big picture in mind. The economy is cyclical- always has been. Right now we're in a dip, because we just had several years of a 'high'.

Just to comment about what the OP said. I'm not worried about America falling apart...I'm worried about me falling apart, well my family. I'm in school and the more gas and food prices go up, the more I have to work and the more I have to work the less I can go to school. Obviously the less I go to school the longer it takes me to get done and well you get the point! It's just very frustrating, and I've about had it!

Enough of the drama though...that really stinks that Pirates will be closed when you go! :sad2: Talk about devastation!

You gotta have priorities!

I know what you mean though, I used to worry about every little thing and I finally had to let it all go. Good luck with school! That's one thing I've always regretted - not finishing school!

The Red Cross sent out a warning about increased food riots today. Won't let me post the URL unfortunately.

Yet in American I recently learned that we waste 17% of our consumable food.

Reminded me of the time I was at a restaurant and a couple was watching their kid open up something like 50+ ketchup packets so he could see how big a pile he could make. They thought it was "cute."

Shows us how lucky we really are.

Plus, this is an internet forum for people going to Disneyland. I would bet the vast majority of the users here don't really have anything to be concerned about. Who I worry about are those that can't afford computers, net access, cars, etc., let alone Disney vacations.

The Red Cross sent out a warning about increased food riots today. Won't let me post the URL unfortunately.

Yet in American I recently learned that we waste 17% of our consumable food.

Reminded me of the time I was at a restaurant and a couple was watching their kid open up something like 50+ ketchup packets so he could see how big a pile he could make. They thought it was "cute."

Shows us how lucky we really are.

Plus, this is an internet forum for people going to Disneyland. I would bet the vast majority of the users here don't really have anything to be concerned about. Who I worry about are those that can't afford computers, net access, cars, etc., let alone Disney vacations.

17% seems like a low estimate. It is just getting to the point of laws being passed that help stores and restaurants donate perishable food. We are a litigious culture that has fostered a fear of helping our fellow man. As a store owner you cannot donate food because you are too afraid of lawsuits and liabilities. We have to pass laws to protect people so they can donate what we throw away even though it is good. Retail stores destroy goods rather than risk them being returned and causing fraudulent situations. It is a shame.

Not to belittle your comment, but I hate when people talk about a "fixed" income, as if those of us who aren't retired yet can just increase our income with the snap of our fingers. Realistically, with things the way they are, most of us aren't getting raises or bonuses anyway. I work in the non-profit sector and I'm wondering if I need to start looking for a job soon. That scares the crap out of me because things aren't exactly good in the part-time with morning hours job market.

Perhaps everyone will be on a fixed income at one point in time or another with NO POTENTIAL to earn more - EVER - unless the govt. decides to throw a bone. That is what I meant by a fixed income. Those who haven't gotten a raise or bonus have the "potential" to look elsewhere for work or perhaps even get a second job for additional income on the side. When you're up in age, (i.e., 80s) there's NO POTENTIAL to make more money. Fixed or not, some have "potential" and some don't b'c of health or age or other circumstances.

Sorry to mention the word fixed. I should have used "potential" instead I guess.

I cant say I'm not worried but this is a nice thread...I needed a little lift and its nice to hear a little positive too:goodvibes

Changes are going to happen. Things will get worse and get better. It goes back and forth. I don't want to waste time on the worse but on ways to make things better. Our family always tries to live comfortably so we always have a cushion if we really need it.

Granted........we've never seen $4.00 or more for a gallon of gas... but, we have seen recession type situations in this country before....anyone remember the 15% and 16% mortgage interest rates of the early 80's? Or the gas lines in the 70's? It always seems to appear worse in a Presidential election year also......is that my imagination or has anyone else noticed that? And, I don't think the war in Iraq has helped matters at all, either.......the sooner we're out of there, the better.......it always amazes me that our elected officials seem to look right past the problems our own country is experiencing and just keep sending billions of dollars to other countries.......most of which really don't want American help or if they do, at some point in the future will forget all about the help provided and turn on us anyway. Sorry if I offend anyone, but, I'm one of those "you gotta take care of your own first" which is a GOOD thing about our country .........everyone is entitled to their opinion.........

And you pulled out of the 70s and the 80s, but ask someone in Detroit, Hibbing, Gary, or Pittsburgh if there areas ever really recovered. Maybe they moved away and got a different job, but it was probably a lower paying job with fewer benefits than what they had. I know families that never recovered from the recessions of the 1970s or 1980s. As in, they never again had the standard of living (house, cars) they had then.

As a society, we pull through - as a society we pulled through the Black Death. As individuals, it may or may not be something we pull through intact. And there will be casualties - it depends on how many and to what extent.

Not trying to interject politics in here, but…remember that we're getting our "news" about the economy from a national media of whom the vast majority are actively campaigning for a certain presidential candidate. Their objective is to paint an entirely bleak picture to pave the way for their candidate to win. Moreover, the vast majority of "reporters" know as much about economics as they do about astrophysics. Consumer prices are rising because the cost of oil is rising, due to a huge increase in demand, mostly from China. Since everything we buy is trucked around the country, those fuel costs increase the costs of goods. Our political class has chosen not to drill for oil in this country, where we have vast reserves, making us dependent on foreign oil.

ITA. The economy is cyclical. It goes up, it goes down. The sky is not falling, the end of times is not near. Yes, gas is increasing - people need to adjust. Decide your breaking point and change before you get there. Driving gas guzzlers and then complaining about cost is not helpful, nor is bemoaning the price of mangos shipped here from South America instead of buying locally and not paying the fuel surcharge. I am grateful for what I have, and am blessed to be able to spend a little more on gas and a little less elsewhere. However, we traded in the SUV for a sedan (Trailblazer for a Ford 500) which is bigger and gets better gas mileage with a higher safety rating - go figure!

My goodness...everywhere I turn, there's horror stories about how the economy is going to collapse and America is going to shambles because of gas and food prices. Please tell me I'm not the only person that is not falling apart worrying about it! I'm not happy about it - but you work your budget around these things and go on with your life.
I think the truth is somewhere between the news' "The sky is falling" and your "So what?". I heard today on the news that housing across America is down 14.4% -- that's pretty scary in and of itself.

Lots of bad stuff IS happening; it isn't imaginary; however, it isn't the first time that we've had radical economical issues -- it's just the first time in a while, and we're awfully comfortable with our spendy ways, and we have little savings to fall back upon. I think we'll hurt for a couple years, then things'll find a new level of "normal".
wow! guess nobody posting is on a fixed income (i.e., retired)!
Off-topic, but I hate that phrase: "on a fixed income". With a few exceptions (i.e., salespeople who work on commission), we're ALL on a fixed income. Some are fixed higher, some are fixed lower. My boss pays me the same thing every month -- most people's bosses do. But people use the phrase "on a fixed income" to mean on a LOW income. Rant over.
I don't really understand this idea that it's the news' fault and everything is really just fine. When I go to the store and milk is $4.29 a gallon where it was $3.59 a gallon a few weeks ago, that's not a Jedi mind trick perpetrated by the liberals at MSNBC, that's reality.
You're exactly right, but I also understand where people are coming from when they say that the media just loves to "create" problems where none really exist. And by doing that, they can actually make things worse. The economy, of course, REALLY DOES have problems -- I personally know quite a few well-educated, hard working men who are out of work (no women, wonder why?). That's real.
I see a continuous decline in the American middle class life style. More and more people are falling out of the middle class into the lower class due to lower salaries, increased health care costs, and higher day-to-day living expenses.
I disagree -- somewhat. We've raised our idea of what a middle-class family should have, and that makes it more difficult for people to fit into the mold. My husband's grandmother raised three children in a two-bedroom house/one bath house without air conditioning (I believe her children were all born in the 1940s). Three children shared a bedroom. The family owned one car, one TV, and one phone. Mom stayed home, cooked, sewed, and was frugal with her husband's paycheck. She has only been out of the state a few times in her whole life. My grandmother lived in a more rural area and had more land, but she raised her two children in much the same way; I believe they had a few more vacations, etc. -- maybe they were middle-middle class while my husband's grandmother was lower-middle class.

Today's average house is more than twice the size of that house. Once the children are old enough to drive, it's usual to have cars even for the teens. TVs, ipods, and other electronics -- even for those of us who are frugal -- waiver in that gray area between want and need. Few of us in the South do without air conditioning. We eat out, we travel, we shop. Even "poor kids" eat at restaurants, get loads of gifts at Christmas, and have themed birthday parties. Our middle class expectations are considerably higher than those of our middle-class counterparts only a few decades ago. I think a large portion of the problem is that we've come to expect so much more from life.
It's a vicious cycle. The less we buy, the less we can work, and the less we work the less disposible income we have.
I agree with that; however, we as a nation have over-spent for years now. We've consumed more than we needed, and we've gone into debt to do it. We've raised the economy to an artificial level, which cannot be sustained -- and now that we've reached this impossible-to-maintain level, we're hit with these gas prices, the housing crunch, and more. It's a matter of too many things coming together at once.
I am 31, I don't remember as many people going to college when I was in junior high and high school. It wasn't a given back then like it is now. There wasn't as much help with financial aid and figuring it all out if you didn't have help, now people have their hands out early. I am from the south, the girls from poor families got married and the boys joined the military.
I'm also from the South, and I'm 42. I could say that very same things: when I graduated from high school, only about 20 kids from my class of 160 or so went to college; about half of us graduated. In my area most people weren't poor, but they were from farming families and were raised to be very frugal. The idea of borrowing to go to college wouldn't have occured to them -- it never even crossed my mind, even when the financial aid people suggested it. Instead, I worked hard and did without things. That's just the way we did it -- goodness, I sound old!

Fast forward today: I teach high school, and the vast majority of my students DO attend college. Of course, my students aren't going to inherit farms either -- most of my high school classmates did. One HUGE thing to note, though, going to college isn't the same thing as graduating from college. Today we've set up a set of false expectations that EVERYONE should go to college. Many, many, many of those students have no business being there; they'd have been better off going to a trade school. I can't tell you how many of my students will tell you that they hate school, never study, are doing just enough to get by . . . but, oh, yes! They're going to college. And they're borrowing to do it. Those are the ones who become one-semester wonders, and that's no favor to anyone. Some of these students would've been better off waiting a couple years for some maturity to set in, THEN they could've done a good job in college. Others simply aren't academic, and there's no use pretending that they're going to be successful in college. Years ago we decided that everyone should have equal chances, but around that same time we quit being being realistic about certain things.
If you have to spend your savings to continue your lifestyle then all you are really doing is delaying the change.
I have to agree. Savings should be used for planned expenditures like vacations or a new TV . . . or to see you through emergencies like a busted transmission . . . or to see you through tight times like a job lay-off. But if you're forced to REGULARLY withdraw money from savings to pay your monthly bills, you're going to eventually run out. If that's the case, you have two options: 1) spend less or 2) earn more.
Dh and I were talking last night. We can sent items to Mars and get photos back from there. But we still need oil for our cars gasoline?!?!?!? Its a mess and we need an incentive to get out from under it.
Call me crazy, but I think we need to QUIT taking pictures of Mars (and quit a few other things too) and invest in some alternative energy sources and some infastructure to provide mass transit to those who us who don't currently have access to it.

Gotta agree on that fixed income part. The school system pays me the same amount every other week with a yearly increase of $350. So gas at $4 a gallon yeah I notice it. I notice it in parent's having to cut even more and make the decision to put gas in the car for work or feed the kids. It will get bad but then it will recover.

Will we really recover? As a whole, yes but some individuals will never truly recover. Personally, I don't worry about it. I knew that teaching in Florida I would never be rich and live accordingly to that fact.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter