Anyone NOT Worried About the Upcoming "Crisis"?

dananbethany

My knight in shining armor turned out to be a lose
My goodness...everywhere I turn, there's horror stories about how the economy is going to collapse and America is going to shambles because of gas and food prices. Please tell me I'm not the only person that is not falling apart worrying about it! I'm not happy about it - but you work your budget around these things and go on with your life. I have more important things to worry about like why Pirates of the Caribbean is going to be closed when we go to DisneyWorld in less than two weeks and why my 12 year old daughter refuses to bathe.

Life goes in cycles - economy gets better, economy gets worse...prices go up, prices go down...and life goes on. :cool2:

In general...I'm trying to learn not to worry about things I can not change. I'm slowly getting better at it. Doesn't mean that I don't complain about it though!:rotfl2:

I'm a pretty optimistic gal. I'm old enough to have lived through the turbulent 60's and this seems like a walk in the park as compared to those times. We waivered between worried about being blow to bits by the Russians, being killed in the riots over civil rights or being killed in Vietnam.
We will survive this also.

Some people *can't* work their budgets around rising prices because there is nothing left.

We are fortunate that it isn't having a major impact on us (due to me being home and not driving much) but if we had two people that commuted long distances (like many people do) or families that were just barely making it before, they sure aren't now.

My goodness...everywhere I turn, there's horror stories about how the economy is going to collapse and America is going to shambles because of gas and food prices. Please tell me I'm not the only person that is not falling apart worrying about it! I'm not happy about it - but you work your budget around these things and go on with your life. I have more important things to worry about like why Pirates of the Caribbean is going to be closed when we go to DisneyWorld in less than two weeks and why my 12 year old daughter refuses to bathe.

Life goes in cycles - economy gets better, economy gets worse...prices go up, prices go down...and life goes on. :cool2:

Pirates is going to be closed?

Pirates is going to be closed?

Yeah, June 5-18 and we'll be there June 7-13. I was sooooo looking forward to the new Johnny Depp pirate too since the last time we were there was in 2005!

I am somewhat concerned! :confused3 But not panicking!:scared1: We are trying to pay off extra debt though! :rotfl: It is not going to effect my summer vacation plans though, I have budgeted for them all year! :rotfl: I am thankful though that I have a job that is in no way effected by the economy!

Well not everyone is fortunate to have a budget so roomy that it can be worked around any economy.

My husband has a very secure job (he is in the Army, so we don't have to worry about him being laid off or losing our benefits) but he has put off retirement because he'd rather not be looking for a job right now.

Most likely anyone on this website can't be doing too badly because we are planning trips to Disney World. But my trip is a year away so that I can save enough.

We aren't hurting. We have a roof over our head and food to eat and a car that runs. But I can't just shrug off gas prices and grocery prices that increase seemingly every day. I do worry whether we will be able to afford that trip a year from now. Who knows how much gas will cost by then or ticket prices or food.

Not panicking, a little worried, but quite honestly I believe it wouldn't be such a panic if the media had something else to talk about. Think about it - in the days of 24 hour news stations, there is not that much "new" out there. So they will talk about something that affects everyone in order to get people to watch.

All in all, I think I am making more of an effort to use less gas more because of foreign dependency than price (although filling my tank for $60 did hurt:scared1: ).

Not trying to interject politics in here, but…remember that we're getting our "news" about the economy from a national media of whom the vast majority are actively campaigning for a certain presidential candidate. Their objective is to paint an entirely bleak picture to pave the way for their candidate to win. Moreover, the vast majority of "reporters" know as much about economics as they do about astrophysics. Consumer prices are rising because the cost of oil is rising, due to a huge increase in demand, mostly from China. Since everything we buy is trucked around the country, those fuel costs increase the costs of goods. Our political class has chosen not to drill for oil in this country, where we have vast reserves, making us dependent on foreign oil.

I just roll with the punches. I can't worry about stuff that I am not sure is actually going to happen.

I just roll with the punches. I can't worry about stuff that I am not sure is actually going to happen.

I try to do the same. Why waste time and energy worrying about things that may never happen. It seems around here at least, the things I spend time worrying about don't happen and the things I never thought to worry about are the ones that get me. :confused3 :worried: We just do the best we can, make the decisions we think are best and go with the flow....

I am a little worried. I know 6 people right now that are out of work one got a call back that the layoff had been rescinded but her boss is currently messing with her so she doesn't know but her husband was laid off a couple of months ago and has yet to find anything.
My husband was laid off from Oct to Jan and we are still playing catch up big time. Having to pay 800 a month for cobra insurance and driving an hour and a half one way to work is scary. We would never be able to sell our house if my husband is laid off again. He is not on salary but straight commission so if people don't by we don't eat. We are not going on vacation this year because of finances and he doesn't have vacation time. My kids are going to camp but at a far less expensive one then years past. I am also worried about my electric bill. Last year we got one for 1000 bucks and our thermostat was not that low. We are really going to have to watch it this year. I have switched from cable to dsl to save money, gone over my cell ph0ne bill and scaled stuff back. I am getting ready to call direct tv and see what tehy can do for us. And we are going to have to start coupon shopping and going to CVS if I can figure out how that works.

The only silver lining I see is the rise in gas prices here in Southern California has seemed to have slowed a bit. We are about at the national average when usually we are leading the pack

Locodis, you hit the nail on the head. With China becoming a major player in the world market, demand is way up and the powers that be are not supplying enough oil for the daily requirments of the world.

I think this economy has affected everyone negatively. I don't think it is going to get any better anytime soon. As long as food suppliers are having to pay more in diesel to bring their products to market, we can guarentee that they will pass along the increases to us, the consumers.

Additionally, with the introduction of ethanol the cost of corn has skyrocketed due to the demand, therefore the price of food products with corn as an ingredient will go up.

It is hurting us for sure. We have a boat with a 100 gallon gas tank that has become nothing more than a lawn ornament and my husband has a diesel powered truck that we could not give away if we tried. Someone actually offered him $15,000 less than was it is worth. What a joke.

We can only have hope that things will get better. :)

I budgeted our trip next year, (we're driving), with gas at $4/gallon, now I'm kind of wishing I would have put it at $6. I'm betting gas prices go down in January though, the oil companies are just resetting the price so when it goes back down to $3.25 a gallon we'll all be grateful and think how fortunate we are, because as a society we are too forgetful to realize that 3 years ago we were paying $1.50.

Climbing down off of my soapbox now....

I'm also buying our tickets for next year immediately after I open and cash our tax stimulus check, I'm afraid of how high the House of Mouse will "adjust" the 2009 ticket prices.

Not trying to interject politics in here, but…remember that we're getting our "news" about the economy from a national media of whom the vast majority are actively campaigning for a certain presidential candidate. Their objective is to paint an entirely bleak picture to pave the way for their candidate to win. Moreover, the vast majority of "reporters" know as much about economics as they do about astrophysics. Consumer prices are rising because the cost of oil is rising, due to a huge increase in demand, mostly from China. Since everything we buy is trucked around the country, those fuel costs increase the costs of goods. Our political class has chosen not to drill for oil in this country, where we have vast reserves, making us dependent on foreign oil.

This is one of the smartest posts I have ever read.

I would add that we are also not developing viable alternate energy sources in this country, and we certainly have the know-how to do it.

I try not to sweat it. Luckily for me my husbands type of work is very much in demand. He is a handyman and with people working long hours and the housing market being what it is people need him - one to improve instead of move and two because they are working too much and don't want to spend what little time they aren't working doing stuff around the house rather they want to spend it with family or they are working too much and don't have time to do anything. We did go away this weekend for the holiday up to New York and gas was way higher than at home - like 10-20 cents more a gallon! It actually went from $4.05 on Saturday to $4.00 on Sunday back up to $4.05 today. Luckily for us we got it cheap at $4.00!! :X I agree with whoever said that they are just trying to trick us into thinking $3.25 is cheap, but that is exactly what is happening. Do I complain daily yes, but do I deal with it yup. I was sadly excited that when we filled up it was only $71.00 I was expecting $80 and that is what I had budgeted, so in my mind I saved $9.00!! As for groceries - I really don't notice it. I know it is happening, but we bulk shop and freeze and store, so I don't really go that often to the store.

wow! guess nobody posting is on a fixed income (i.e., retired)! It's a killer :faint: to pay more at the pumps and more at the store when there's no hope of a raise or a bonus (... other than that one-time stimulus check).

And, you think it's tough with gas and groceries, wait until you see the impact of traveling by air! :furious: It'll be just as bad as gassing up your car for a road trip. The fuel crisis is killing the airlines - so they're shrinking supply which will mean more for an airline ticket! Probably won't feel the full impact until after summer as most tickets for summer vacation were purchased a while ago. Hang on to your hats because it's coming! :moped:

Honkering down for a cruel ride............. popcorn::

You and I are on EXACTLY the same page...thanks for sharing...

To answer OP's question,...I feel the economy is actually growing...we have a very low unemployment rate, low interest rates, good economic growth. The media keeps focusing on all the 'bad' news out there...high cost of gas, slow real estate market (which in my county, showed higher prices from same quarter 2007 to this quarter 2008 in a majority of communities), high cost of food. At DH's company, they are having a very difficult time finding good help for nice high-paying jobs. It ain't all what is painted on the 5:00 news in my opinion. Yes, the high cost of gasoline is not fun, but more can be done about it that isn't being done...we just can't have it both ways.

I also wanted to add that we just purchased airline tickets for our August trip to WDW...we spent roughly $15 less than we did for April, and about $25 less than what we spent last November. I am diligent about checking airfares and trying to find low costs and I don't doubt the airlines are raising their fares, but in the end, the reality wasn't the big scare that I keep hearing about....

We have a family of 3. Recently we traded my wifes 04 explorer for an 08 accord to help her with better gas mileage she drives 35 miles one way to work. i drive 7 so i kept my pickup truck since i cut lawns on the side for extra money. Im trying to pay debt off and no "buy" stuff that we ahve done without for the 5 years we have been married. Wife wants an above ground pool for the lil one who is 3 but we have put that off for over a year. He now has a $25 pool that fits him and its not upkeep. Only thing this year is we are going to beach in July and Dis in Sept other than that we are gonna keep everything stable till some bills are paid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter