Anyone in here decorate cakes?

Anniversarycake2.jpg

cakeflowers.jpg

HELP!! Son's Communion is Saturday morning. And I forgot Cake! So I am going to try to make one. My ? On those stacked cakes (like Angelhalo's last one) how many layers are the indivudual layers? I am planning on just a 2 layer. I am going to try to avoid fondant and just use a buttercream icing(I am not going to worry about "white") in fact I may go chocolate just to avoid that!
Any tips-

And what size cake pan should I use for my top layer? I am going to use a normal 9 inch for the bottom (we are only having 25 people)Ok so in searching online am guessing six inch pan for top layer?

thanks for any advice.

HELP!! Son's Communion is Saturday morning. And I forgot Cake! So I am going to try to make one. My ? On those stacked cakes (like Angelhalo's last one) how many layers are the indivudual layers? I am planning on just a 2 layer. I am going to try to avoid fondant and just use a buttercream icing(I am not going to worry about "white") in fact I may go chocolate just to avoid that!
Any tips-

And what size cake pan should I use for my top layer? I am going to use a normal 9 inch for the bottom (we are only having 25 people)Ok so in searching online am guessing six inch pan for top layer?

thanks for any advice.

How many Layers you would have in each tier is up to you and the height of the pan. Standard is 2" or 3" so that would usually be 2-4 "tortes" or layers per tier.

for size, since you only have 25 people, you could do a 8" on bottom and a 6" on top and still have cake left over, IMHO.

to get white buttercream you just use clear vanilla flavoring.

HTH!

Hi everyone, I thought someone here might be able to give me some ideas. I want to make a dump truck cake, maybe Chuck the Truck. My skills are somewhere in the middle (good for a Mom, wouldn't make it as a baker, lol). I know Wilton has a flat dump truck pan, but I was hoping to do something more creative, but I didn't want the difficulty level to be too high. I was thinking maybe making a Chuck out of rice crispies and fondant (not sure how I would pull it off) and having it climb up a dirt hill. Or I could just use a little Chuck toy and make some sort of construction sheet cake. I'm just not getting any specific ideas on how to pull this together.

Thanks for your help!

well you could make the truck out of cake...

Make 2 loaf cakes , secure cake board to truck wheels(can be made of rice krispies or real toy truck tires) put first loaf cake on board, base ice it. Cut 2nd cake in half and put on front of board to make the "cab". SECURE with DOWEL RODS. ice the whole thing. Chill for a few hours. cover in fondant and sculpt details.

Thats my idea... HTH! feel free to PM me.

I'm so glad to see this thread back up again! I love looking at all of the different cakes.. All of you are sooooooo talented!! :goodvibes

Oooh. What a fun thread :goodvibes I love to decorate cakes for fun when I can. Here's one I did for my niece's 2nd birthday. It's the one I'm most proud of.
DSC00773.jpg

Hi! Someone just posted this on my Cookies from Cake Mix thread. Any icing recipes to share that I can post for her? I figure you gals would have the best recipes. :goodvibes

Can someone share a good sugar cookie icing recipe. DD wants to bake & decorate with her friends over the holiday break and I have the royal icing recipe off the domino sugar website, but I would really prefer one that I could mix up in the morning and have separated and colored before the girls come over, but I like that their royal icing hardens.

Any tips to share? I usually avoid making sugar cookies all together, but this year, we'll try it.

Hey gang! I also teach cake decorating lessons for Wilton. I love my job!
Here are some pictures of cake I have recently done:

My 3rd son's Christening cake
iphonepictures535.jpg

Baby shower cake for a little girl
106.jpg

9th birthday cake for my cousin/Ester cake
iphonepictures251.jpg

Cake balls: Red White and Blue for 4th of July (red velvet, cream cheese icing, and blue chocolate), and Arnold Palmer (Sweet tea cake with lemon buttercream)
iphonepictures500.jpg

Some of the handcrafted gum paste flowers I can do
iphonepictures380.jpg

iphonepictures369.jpg

Those are tulips on this cake
005-1.jpg

Not sure if this question was already asked and answered, but does anyone actually eat the fondant on the cake? I have never used it before, but my daughter has and she says it tastes terrible. She said there is usually a layer of buttercream under the fondant and you are supposed to peal it off and just eat the cake with the buttercream. :confused3

Not sure if this question was already asked and answered, but does anyone actually eat the fondant on the cake? I have never used it before, but my daughter has and she says it tastes terrible. She said there is usually a layer of buttercream under the fondant and you are supposed to peal it off and just eat the cake with the buttercream. :confused3

It's an acquired taste. My kids and DH love it, and eat it as part of the cake and icing. My mother hates it.

FYI if you use it properly, it is designed to absorb the flavor of the icing, and will taste better. It is usually too rolled too thick, or not enough icing(or flavorful icing) underneath when people complain that it doesn't taste good.

Hey gang! I also teach cake decorating lessons for Wilton. I love my job!
Here are some pictures of cake I have recently done:

My 3rd son's Christening cake
iphonepictures535.jpg

Baby shower cake for a little girl
106.jpg

9th birthday cake for my cousin/Ester cake
iphonepictures251.jpg

Cake balls: Red White and Blue for 4th of July (red velvet, cream cheese icing, and blue chocolate), and Arnold Palmer (Sweet tea cake with lemon buttercream)
iphonepictures500.jpg

Some of the handcrafted gum paste flowers I can do
iphonepictures380.jpg

iphonepictures369.jpg

Those are tulips on this cake
005-1.jpg

Very Pretty!

it depends what kind of fondant. There are many different brands with very different flavors. I use Satin Ice buttercream flavor or add oils to my fondant to make the flavor better. There is also marshmellow fondant that tastes like marshmellow fluff :) I went around the barn on the answer - lol - if you like it eat it if not people peel it off and just eat the icing and cake. :) I know people who do both! :) Hope this helps,

My sister took the full course of Wilton classes many years ago, as a young wife. Then she began teaching the classes. Over the years, her decorating has gotten to be so much in demand, she does 4-5 wedding cakes per month, plus numerous birthday cakes.

Here's a link to her blog, in case anyone wants to check it out. And, before you ask... yes, that's her real name!

http://dorcaswoodward.blogspot.com/

My grandson wants a spiderman cake for his birthday. I am doing cupcakes because it is easier for the little one's and also because of allergies they tend to cook up better. He is really okay with this (at 3 he just is happy with anything spiderman) but how do I make red and black icing. I had thought of trying to ice it in the blue and then make a black web around it with dots of red. For the little one's they will be happy with that and I don't have a lot of time.
tigercat

My grandson wants a spiderman cake for his birthday. I am doing cupcakes because it is easier for the little one's and also because of allergies they tend to cook up better. He is really okay with this (at 3 he just is happy with anything spiderman) but how do I make red and black icing. I had thought of trying to ice it in the blue and then make a black web around it with dots of red. For the little one's they will be happy with that and I don't have a lot of time.
tigercat

SuperTarget as well as Michaels sells the Wilton black icing in tubes. Or you could uce black string licorice to make the spiders.

How awesome to see all the activity that has taken place in this thread all the past five years! I don't decorate cakes as often these days, but I did just get another Annual Pass for the first time in many, many years. I have someone now that enjoys it as much as I do <3 Keep decorating girls, awesome to see all your art :)

Hi fellow cakies! I thought I'd post some pics of some cakes I have done recently.

538628_397154186981867_1049851398_n-1.jpg

582136_413729851990967_2002074825_n-1.jpg

577868_400754943288458_1055090592_n-2.jpg

318238_413729808657638_130579835_n-1.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter