Anyone having second thoughts about a trip due to Coronavirus?

erin1715

DIS Veteran
We have a trip coming in March with myself, my husband and our 14-month-old daughter. The US has declared a public health emergency. I’m having second thoughts about our trip now. If it were just myself and my husband I wouldn’t worry so much but with our daughter I’m a little worried.

Our spring break trip to WDW is in mid March. We were so looking forward to it, so excited to get every single one of our FP+s a couple weeks ago, and then news of this virus came out. Unless things turn around miraculously by end of February, we will have to cancel our trip. It just isn’t worth the risk since there are so many unknowns about this virus.

Hi, I'm a healthcare professional. The coronavirus is not more deadly than the flu. So whatever risks you're comfortable taking with the flu take with coronavirus. Because the flu is "commonplace" people don't think twice about travelling during flu season, which kills 15-65k per year. More epidemic experts say you should be more concerned about contracting the flu than corona virus. The reason the CDC is working so hard to stop it is because it's not yet a "lost cause" like the flu. The flu is so widespread that it massively overwhelms our ability to contain it, whereas this new strain of coronavirus is not, and has a chance to be contained and eradicated. Just remember, for all the fear around SARS, it only killed 750 people in the end. MUCH less than even the weakest flu season.

All of this to say: If you aren't concerned about travelling during flu season, don't cancel trips over coronavirus.

Hi, I'm a healthcare professional. The coronavirus is not more deadly than the flu. So whatever risks you're comfortable taking with the flu take with coronavirus. Because the flu is "commonplace" people don't think twice about travelling during flu season, which kills 15-65k per year. More epidemic experts say you should be more concerned about contracting the flu than corona virus. The reason the CDC is working so hard to stop it is because it's not yet a "lost cause" like the flu. The flu is so widespread that it massively overwhelms our ability to contain it, whereas this new strain of coronavirus is not, and has a chance to be contained and eradicated. Just remember, for all the fear around SARS, it only killed 750 people in the end. MUCH less than even the weakest flu season.

All of this to say: If you aren't concerned about travelling during flu season, don't cancel trips over coronavirus.

Thank you!

We have 3 kids under 6 and are suppose to be leaving on a disney cruise the end of this month. I'm watching to see what happens this week but we are leaning toward canceling

We're planning for winter of this year and my thought is we reasonably shouldn't stop enjoying life. That said, do need to be careful!

We are booked for the third week in February. Watching carefully, but leaning towards keeping plans in tact. I will be wiping down our villa thoroughly and making use of wipes both at the parks, on the plane and in our villa. We always wipe the plane down and wash our hands regularly. I’m really hoping we will be able to go and that the situation doesn’t take an unexpected turn in the next two weeks.

There's not much to worry about right now--it's an exciting story for media outlets to talk about nonstop, but you're in more danger of getting the flu right now. I wouldn't cancel or even worry about it just yet :)

The media is making it much worse than reality. I'm not saying that it's not serious. But the media causes people to cancel trips and panic over coronavirus. I'm pretty sure people were talking about canceling trips during some of the measles outbreaks, too. You're always at risk of something. Stomach bugs are pretty common at this time of year, too, so that's another risk. You're just as likely to pick it up at the grocery store as Disney.

I’m 28 weeks pregnant and we went last weekend. I wasn’t worried at all. There aren’t any cases in Florida. We live an hour from Orlando

I understand your concern, especially with all the news about it. As others have said, be cautious but I wouldn't cancel my trip. If you are flying and are concerned invest in some of the medical masks. Bring wipes and hand sanitizer. We do that on most trips anyways just to try and reduce catching a cold or flu.

I’ll be as vigilant as I possibly can with hand washing and I plan on buying hospital grade clorox wipes. The hard part is not touching the face for our 14 month old. If it were just adults then no problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter