Anyone having second thoughts about a trip due to Coronavirus?

So. There are a lot of facts in here, but stated in such a way that they could easily become confused.

Yes you are in more danger of dying of flu, but that does not mean flu is more dangerous than coronavirus. You are more likely to catch it as it is already prevalent in your area.

Yes the current fatality rate will fluctuate slightly with the small sample size but it has stayed reasonably constant for a while now. As of today it is 2.36%

Seasonal flu tends to have a much lower fatality rate but in the UK we vaccinate immunocompromised, elderly, carers, pregnant ladies and young children so the most vulnerable are less likely to contract it in the first place. The vaccine prevents 15-44% depending on the season and the strains included.

The infection rate of the flu (R0) is 1.3. Things are changing so much that it's difficult to determine R0 for the new coronavirus. Plus it will vary according to location and control measures in place. According to all models it is more infections than flu but not dramatically so.

There are currently a tiny number of confirmed cases in the USA. If you want to stay up to date then the WHO daily situational update can be found at
https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports/
Tha London school of hygiene and tropical medicine are also doing a daily podcast on the virus if people want to stay up to date. You can find it here https://open.spotify.com/show/1pmEtPchcDhfud8R63vzDJ

Yes. But it's been cancelled because Chinese companies are a huge part of that conference, so as they can't go it makes sense to do so. A very different situation to the one the OP asked about.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.

Yes of course there are concerns. It's a new virus we don't know much about how it's going to mutate, we don't want it to become endemic and as I stated above it has a higher fatality and transmission rate than seasonal flu.
But I don't think there's anything sinister about cancelling that conference. It was the logical thing to do.

Guess I am just saying, it is not nothing as some people are trying to say. POTUS says warm weather will end it in April so I guess we can all just relax.
Regardless of what you think of Trump, there is a possibility here that he is at least partially correct. Covid-19 seems to spread through similar methods as the flu (i.e., through droplets rather than airborne). And it is true that in warmer, more humid weather it is more difficult for viruses to spread in that fashion, which is why flu is at a so much lower level during the summer months.

Obviously, this virus hasn't been around for a year yet, so we don't know for sure what will happen. But I think it is reasonable to hope that warmer, more humid weather will at least slow it down.

It could have gone on without Chinese participation. There are deeper concerns.
There would have e been little point to hold it without the Chinese companies. They are too ingrained in the market. Nothing would get done.

if you wouldn’t cancel a trip for a flu outbreak then there is no need to cancel for this. Just wash your hands and live your life as normal.

I wouldn’t worry about your baby. Kids don’t seem to be very impacted by it. Think about how exposure you the virus could impact your family. If there is an outbreak while you are there, can you afford time in quarantine? Are you able to work from home? Do older or immune compromised people depend on you for care? My family would need to cancel, but only because we aren’t in a position where we would feel comfortable not going to work for a few weeks.

We just returned from WDW yesterday. I am a germaphobe and was really reluctant to go. We went, sanitized/ washed hands a ton of times a day. Always had Purell wipes to wipe down ride handles, tables etc for our kids. We had a great trip. I realized I was overreacting. We also live in Florida, not far from some of the outbreaks. I personally think it's probably way more prevalent than where the Confirmed cases are. We are going back to WDW in a few months. If someone is immune compromised, then I completely advise to stay at home( my son is, and we were ready to leave for home if needed).....but if you are a healthy individual, you should be fine.

Last edited:
I think everyone going the week of March 16 thru 24 should definitely cancel. So the cast members are not lonely my family and I will take one for the team and still go on our trip.
Same. I’ll help you!! It’s better to be safe than sorry!! 😂😂😂

At this point, I’m taking it day by day. If I was leaving today, I’d choose to go, but the situation might be different two weeks from now.

With the way things are unfolding, it’s certainly possible that any day something could happen that changes the plans.

I don’t have a trip coming up but if we did we would most likely be canceling. I live in the tri-state area so too many unknowns at this time. My kids schools are preparing to possibly allow homeschooling for an extended period of time. We would also need to fly and not sure I would want to get on a plane.

That said though I am planning for 2021 😎 so I sure hope prices drop!

I think the closure of DL has done it for me. We’ll be pushing our trip to the future. I know there were no cases associated with DL, but it seems like “an abundance of caution” is the way to go at this time.

Wonder how things will look toward the end of summer? I’d hate to postpone an entire year, but that might be what happens.

I think the closure of DL has done it for me. We’ll be pushing our trip to the future. I know there were no cases associated with DL, but it seems like “an abundance of caution” is the way to go at this time.

Wonder how things will look toward the end of summer? I’d hate to postpone an entire year, but that might be what happens.
I’m in the tri-state and things are closing down rapidly here. Schools are already or preparing to home school for an undetermined amount of time. I don’t have a trip planned for this year but I would not be going if I did.

The first page of comments on this thread really aged well.... Many people were calling me a doomer back in January. We are APs and local and haven't stepped foot inside the parks once I did a little bit of reading about this virus.
No kidding, didn’t even remember I posted on page one on this thread. We were hopeful things would improve, and wouldn’t have to cancel. Not too many people thinking we were sane to consider cancelling our trip back then. Cancelling the trip was disappointing but not as important as now remaining safe and healthy in our own town/country.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter