Anyone having second thoughts about a trip due to Coronavirus?

There is absolutely NO reason to cancel a trip because of Coronavirus. People are freaking out over it with little justification. The flu has killed 8,000 people in the US this year, but no one is cancelling a trip due to flu. It is just another germ folks. It isn't airborne and has a low fatality rate.

Over 100 people die every single day just in America in car accidents. Cancelling for a virus that 20 people have in the entire country is crazy.

There is absolutely NO reason to cancel a trip because of Coronavirus. People are freaking out over it with little justification. The flu has killed 8,000 people in the US this year, but no one is cancelling a trip due to flu. It is just another germ folks. It isn't airborne and has a low fatality rate.

So, just to fact check - it is airborne (similar to flu) and its fatality rate is 10x seasonal flu - and no vaccine protection or antiviral treatment available as it is novel. But I agree, infections in the US aren't at the critical point where it is prevalent enough to warrant changing plans. Many governments are now taking it extremely seriously (first federally mandated quarantine in 50+ years, major borders closed, etc.), if major country governments are that concerned, so am I.

Last edited:
So, just to fact check - it is airborne (similar to flu) and its fatality rate is 10x seasonal flu - and no vaccine protection or antiviral treatment available as it is novel. But I agree, infections in the US aren't at the critical point where it is prevalent enough to warrant changing plans. Many governments are now taking it extremely seriously (first federally mandated quarantine in 50+ years, major borders closed, etc.), if major country governments are that concerned, so am I.
Where did you read that it is airborne? Everything I have read says droplet transmission only. The flu is currently accepted to be a droplet transmission virus, NOT an airborne virus, although new research is suggesting that some strands may be headed that way. Where did you read 10X the death rate of flu, because I have not seen that either. Most scientists are a saying it is too early and the sample size too small to make those kinds of determinations.

As someone earlier explained, the quarantine ect is not about the virulence of this particular virus. It is NOT particularly deadly. It is about containment only. There is a possibility of containing it and having it die out with aggressive quarantine so we don't have another flu type virus circulating the world.

There really isn't cause for the level of alarm a lot of people have here. If you really dig into the science that becomes clear.

Last edited:

For what it's worth, we went during flu season, last week of Jan into first week of Feb. I loaded everyone up on vitamin c in the weeks ahead and I used sanitizing wipes on the plane. We just went about everything else as normal and everyone stayed healthy. And, I ended up breaking my ankle after the lion king show. Go figure. We cant plan for everything that's going to happen. The airports are using the highest precautions, and there's been no Disney, Orlando or Florida outbreaks. I would definitely not cancel.

There has only been 1 case of person-to-person transmission in the entire US -- someone who has been in China infected their spouse. I wouldn't worry about it

Hmm, guess my question was relegated to this backwater thread. Here is what I posted:

Is it going to fizzle out? Will refund policies change if this turns into a pandemic? Am I being too alarmist? I keep hearing flu is deadlier, but then healthcare workers are dying at an alarming rate. That doesn't happen with the flu I guess because there is a flu vaccine.

Also, after reading a few responses here I think people need to be a little more concerned. I work with a Chinese national who said he has been hearing (not reported by govt) at least 100,000 have come down with it just in Wuhan Province.

this.

Hmm, guess my question was relegated to this backwater thread. Here is what I posted:

Is it going to fizzle out? Will refund policies change if this turns into a pandemic? Am I being too alarmist? I keep hearing flu is deadlier, but then healthcare workers are dying at an alarming rate. That doesn't happen with the flu I guess because there is a flu vaccine.
Yea, as pretty much everybody else has already said. Zero reason to even consider cancelling IMO.

The flu has killed 12,000 in the US so far this season, and that is with an effective flu vaccine. I think the scary part of coronavirus is that it is similar to the flu without any vaccine to help prevent the spread.

We are keeping our plans for late next month and our Alaska cruise/landl tour booked for June.

We will be cautious, wash hands and wipe things down as we normally do. Nothing crazy. Definitely cannot get every area that the public touches, etc. and don't plan to. I do hate when I am standing in line at a grocery store, post office and someone is literally in your face or practically touching your back - any time. No reason to be glued to someone. Of course there are places like the Haunted Mansion as an example where you know you are going to be squeezed with others.

We are not worried as of now and hoping we/no one needs to be. I hope this shall pass too and fast and pray for everyone affected by it.

Also, after reading a few responses here I think people need to be a little more concerned. I work with a Chinese national who said he has been hearing (not reported by govt) at least 100,000 have come down with it just in Wuhan Province.
Actually that could potentially be good / better news. If over 100,000 people have been infected and only 1000 have died (saying that number being reported is correct) that gives you much lower mortality rate.

Actually that could potentially be good / better news. If over 100,000 people have been infected and only 1000 have died (saying that number being reported is correct) that gives you much lower mortality rate.
Not trying to cause a debate but if they are not being truthful about the total number infected, then they are also not being truthful about the number of deaths.

I am concerned about it. We are watching the news and will adjust our plans if needed. Nothing else to do at this point.

My biggest gripe with the whole thing is lack of information. Why is China building hospitals at breakneck speeds? And why is the WHO just now arriving to the epicenter? Sorry, end of rant.

Seems like a every other year there's some sort of virus that's gonna wreck havoc on the world. Sars, swine flu, h1n1, ebola, etc. Then next thing you know, its never heard from again in the media. Fear mongoring at its finest.

I'm more concerned about getting the regular flu than this one.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter