Anyone Fly First Class?

Always fly first class now that I can afford it. Put it in the trip budget automatically. So yes, FC to Disney.
One approach I take is to use FF miles to reduce the fare to what it costs to fly coach.
That way I get more out of my miles and would pay for the flight since I am going anyway.
Most times this works out well and I love it. Very spoiled. :flower1:

What’s the youngest any of you have taken a kid with you in F? Looking to upgrade from E+ to F on a UA trans on, but I kinda don’t want to be “that family” with a 5 year old in F.

What’s the youngest any of you have taken a kid with you in F? Looking to upgrade from E+ to F on a UA trans on, but I kinda don’t want to be “that family” with a 5 year old in F.

I wouldn’t hesitate to fly first class with a 5 year old as long as you or a partner are sitting next to him/her.

We have not flown since 2004. We have driven to Orlando from CT, and one time we took the train.

We are flying to AZ then Cali in April, and with all of the changes in the experience of flying, we have chosen to fly First Class. I want to be comfortable and have all of the amenities that are no longer found in coach.
I’m so happy that we flew first class to California. It was such a long flight. The food was delicious, and the seats were very comfortable. We definitely needed the extra legroom. After our ten day stay out west, flying home to JFK first class was awesome. We would definitely do it again.

My friends always fly First Class with their kids, from birth. My parents did the same with me. As long as a parent is paying attention to the children, you will be fine. I’ve been in First Class with kids who are about 4 or 5, and they didn’t disturb anyone.

Edit: Not my kids. I’ve just seen kids in the cabin when I have been flying.

I'm just curious if anyone here spends the extra money flying first class. Or if you only fly when upgraded or rewards points etc. Is distance a factor or do you always fly coach or first no matter what?
Yes, we now fly first or business whenever we fly on carriers that have classes. Priority everything, seats up front, less discomfort, meals, better snacks, a dedicated bathroom, overhead room for luggage, etc. With today's lower-priced first fares, it's worth it for us.

Last edited:

My son was about 9 the first time, but I have seen toddlers in first/business, too. There is no age limit. If you're paying for the child's seat, he/she has every right to be there.

Last edited:
No, never would. Love Southwest. All same cabin class. When I was in the military, Delta would often put me in first class..due to being in dress uniform. Never seen the appeal of the added cost. But, now we only fly Southwest..Unbeatable airline.

We wound up booking FC on our AA flight from ORD to MCO. Not the longest flight admittedly (and on a short flight doesn't have lie flat beds etc), but it wasn't a huge premium especially when adding in the bag fees we would have needed to pay plus breakfast at the airport and snacks on the plane. We will get priority security screening, lounge access, priority boarding, first off the plane, hopefully priority bags off. Plus we get to make an experience out of something that is usually pretty dreary.

We've been flying First Class (usually United) for a few years now; makes my DH's scoliosis much more bearable. And often it costs only $150 RT more per person for our four hour flight from Colorado to Baltimore. We also appreciate having the 2 free bags per person and our luggage marked "Priority" so it comes off the luggage carousel earlier than coach luggage. The meals aren't always anything special but we like the drink and snack service, early boarding and comfy seating. Like an earlier poster we can splurge more now that we're retired and have earned a little luxury. Before we applied for and got TSA Pre-Check we noticed that we were usually automatically assigned TSA Pre-Check when traveling First Class.

But when I'm traveling alone which is several times a year, I often choose Southwest or Comfort Plus for a little more leg room and better chance of getting my carry-on bag close to my seat.

I pay into first class under two circumstances:

1) Any overnight flight. I'm too old to do an overnight flight in coach anymore.

2) The price difference is under 20%.

As an example, flying the transcon to LAX this fall, I booked coach on the way there (daylight flight) but business class lie flat on the return so that I arrive rested enough to drive.

I flew FC to Australia once (on points) and I have flown business class to Dubai on Emirates 3 times (someone's else's dime, for work) as well as business class to London or Australia on points a few times. Nowadays, to Asia or Europe, I fly premium Economy (good value for what you get-retirement is looming and the market is tanking).

Domestically, I fly almost exclusively Southwest, but I have done business/first a few times, if the bottom line makes sense (baggage fees). I love the priority boarding and less crowded cabin.

We moved to Florida about an hour 20 minutes away(not on the coast) so no more flying for us! We have been here since March, we both love it!

When we lived in Alaska I had to travel from Fairbanks to Anchorage twice a week with our son who was 5 at the time. Our (health) insurance paid for a regular flight, but I always paid the $50 each to upgrade. Since then I have to always go FC. lol

I look at the price and points available to see if it is worth it. I used to get offers to upgrade for < $100 frequently when I would check in for a flight, but that doesn't happen very often these days.

Unless first class has a way of making turbulence less noticeable we won't be paying for it anytime soon. :)

Unless first class has a way of making turbulence less noticeable we won't be paying for it anytime soon. :)
It is. Part of turbulence is how airflow passes over the wings and is disturbed before it reaches the horizontal stabilizer, making turbulence more noticeable in the rear of an aircraft than the front. Noise is also less noticeable, both since you're flying at a significant portion of Mach 1 and because most of the noise comes out of the rear of the engines where they exhaust, rather than the front with the intake fans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!