Anyone ever sell their Thomas Kinkade painting?

kyra's mommy

Mouseketeer
We have three Kinkade paintings (Bouelevard Lights- Paris, Venice Sunset on the Grand Canal and the Disneyland 50th anniversary ) that we're ready to part with but despite their value it doesn't seem like I can sell them. Anyone ever have any luck selling your Kinkade paintings? If so, how did you do it?

Thanks!

We put them on Craigslist. I was asking $1500 for Paris and Venice and $2100for Disneyland which is actually less then we paid. The Disney one alone is worth around $4500. So, I don't know?:confused3 Must be the economy? These paintings are considered luxury purchases so maybe people just aren't buying them these days.

We haven't tried selling our Kinkades, but my fiance just got me the DL 50th anniversary painting for my birthday. Its a gallery edition,and we paid $1200 for it. How we got it was a local seller that posted on EBay.

Do you happen to know how big your painting is? Mine is the larger size, 42" I think? That would give me a good idea as to whether I'm asking too much. I never thought of doing Ebay as a local listing. Thanks!

Do you happen to know how big your painting is? Mine is the larger size, 42" I think? That would give me a good idea as to whether I'm asking too much. I never thought of doing Ebay as a local listing. Thanks!

Mine is the 42" in a gold frame.The lady we bought it from said that she had to lower her initial asking price 2 times....

Good Luck!!!!

Thanks! That is exactly the one I have, 42" and the gold frame, gallery proof. Ugh, I don't know if DH will be willing to sell that low. I really appreciate your experience, that gives me a solid idea of what I should ask and what I can get for it. Now we just have to decide if it's worth parting with. ;)

We also have a gallery Kinkade (Clocktower Cottage) in a mahogany frame with certificate and all. Tried to sell it on Craigslist for about $500 OBO. We paid $1000 seven years ago. Not one offer on it :confused3.

I was also thinking it may be the economy right now or maybe he's just not that popular anymore. We'll probably wait and try again some day.

but despite their value it doesn't seem like I can sell them. Anyone ever have any luck selling your Kinkade paintings? If so, how did you do it?

Thanks!

Last I checked the Disneyland one was "worth" $1400 on ebay (18x27 canvas oil). Unfortunately, they did not hold their value it seems. Most don't even sell.

Thomas Kinkade *****d himself out too much, so his stuff is worth very little. I'm shocked he can even call the canvas prints paintings. Whenever he was on QVC in the day, with all his "Christian" ramblings I always knew he was a con man.

Thomas Kinkade *****d himself out too much, so his stuff is worth very little. I'm shocked he can even call the canvas prints paintings. Whenever he was on QVC in the day, with all his "Christian" ramblings I always knew he was a con man.

Except for the last statement, I totally agree with your post.

Kinkade's works are definitely on the sentimental side. The artist saturated the market for his works when the economy was good, and the value just isn't there when the economy is bad.

Something that you have to remember about art is that it is NEVER a short term investment.

The names of prolific master artists who died poor and destitute goes on for pages and pages.

Works that some of the worlds greatest masters sold just to buy food are now worth millions of dollars.

Original Thomas Kinkade paintings - NOT embellished prints on canvas - but actual original one of a kind paintings will indeed be worth a million some day.

However, the embellished prints on canvas may be worth $1,000's or $10's of thousands someday - but right now with the market still full of mass quantity productions, you WILL NOT get out of the works what you paid for them. You won't even get 1/2 of what you paid for them.

You would be better off wrapping them in a sheet and putting them in the attic - and mention them only in your will. You won't find someone to pay over $4,000 for an embellished print on canvas right now.

Art is not a short term investment - and paying retail for art is rarely if ever a good decision.

If a person was hoping to retire on gains from the sale of an art collection - the economy will most certainly prevent that from happening any time soon.

Thomas Kinkade is a pop artist - yes, he paints in a classical style - but in all reality his work 'hit the mainstream' which makes his work common - and available to the mass market. Should he be respected as an artist, yes - he is extremely talented. However, he should be more respected as a business man. He's a millionaire!

The Disneyland 50th anniversary work is beautiful, but unlike the vast majority of Kinkade's painting, it has a very limited/niche market. So your investment may not realize for another 50 years or so when Disneyland turns 100!

Hate to bear the bad news - but that's the art market.... especially these days!

Thanks for all the imput. I really appreciate all your thoughts and it will definately give me a realistic point of view if I'm going to sell. We don't have to sell the paintings, I'm just a little bored of them. I've had the Paris and Venice paintings for about ten years and I've had the Disney one for about five years. I actually still think they are beautiful, especially the Paris painting so if I keep them then that's okay too. You guys are wonderful thanks for the help!

The Disney one alone is worth around $4500.

As you have discovered, it's only worth what someone else will pay for it.

Original Thomas Kinkade paintings - NOT embellished prints on canvas - but actual original one of a kind paintings will indeed be worth a million some day.

Sorry, but this won't happen in a million years.

I have a boatload of Disney 'collectible' expensive items here(they're not mine) nobody wants this stuff....it's main value is to the person who bought it.....sad....

I have a boatload of Disney 'collectible' expensive items here(they're not mine) nobody wants this stuff....it's main value is to the person who bought it.....sad....

That depends. I own the Giuseppe Armani Belle figurine and last time my DH checked, they were selling for over double what we paid. So you never know.

As other posters have said, items are only "worth" what someone else is willing to pay for it, not what a book or price guide suggests

Sad? Not really.

Its not good for the average person to buy a 'collectible' in the hopes it will someday be worth more.

You buy something like this...a painting, a figurine, etc...because you like it and want to keep it.

I think that the same thing happened to Kinkade as what happened to Windberg. Both were wildly popular for a while but now people seem way less interested. Only time will tell if any of their work will be worth much some day.

What about Wyland? I think that he is really cool but I guess that he is also a "pop artist".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter