Anyone ever requested to NOT receive a handicapped room?

baileybrad

and Casey, too!
We have a 9 month old and a 3 year old, and for that matter, a 6 year old. All are accustomed to baths. We are staying at BCV in mid October for a week. We have 2 room requests...n/s and a non-handicapped room. Has anyone stayed in a handicapped room (studio) at this resort?

I have never made the request "nonhandicapped" and have never been put into one either. But, you may mention it at checkin that you definitely need a room with a tub, nonhandicapped, I am sure they will accomodate you. :)

When we were at OKW this summer, we got put into a handicap room. However, the front desk did not mention ithat at check in. We walked in, and saw the things were different and then saw the bathroom. DS refused to use the shower stall because it was different. I ask the CM at the front desk to move us , but because we had checked in late ( 5PM), there wasn't a room to switch us to. It make for a very long week.. We now have non handicap on our profile.

I always request a non-handicapped room. Twice this showed up on my reservation confirmation and a couple times it did not but when I called back to make sure my reservation was all set the DVC reservation agent read back my requests to me and it was always included. This being said I generally only request non-smoking, non-handicapped and general building locations. The bathroom in a studio will have no tub only a shower without a base because it must be wheel chair accessible. I am not sure what the handicapped 1 BR, 2 Br and largee units are like. Good luck!

I think it is better to request what you really want (a tub) than what you do not want (non-handicapped).

In my expereience there is less opportunity for misunderstandings and/or mistakes if you avoid describing things by what they are not. Just think how many room requests the CMs have to read and go-through every day. Wouldn't it just be human nature to occasionally skip over the "non" and see only the handicapped? Didn't some guy named Murphy even write a law about it? :teeth:

Just a thought - YMMV.

I always request "tub." I too am afraid they will skip over the word "non" if I say nonhandicapped.

I just did this for my cousin's reservation in February. She has two little ones (a one-year-old and 3-year-old) and really needs a tub for those kids. I guess if worse came to worse, she could give the baby a bath in the sink, but it would be hard.

I would request "tub" on my reservation if I were you.

I have been placed in HC rooms twice (once at WDW, once in Chicago) and it seems to me it is bad service to not mention it to the guest when they are being checked-in...Good service would insure people would have no objection BEFORE you send them off to a room. It is just wrong to NOT share this info with non-HC guests at the time of check-in. Many people have many reasons for wanting a tub. There are no good reasons to NOT tell guests that they are not getting a tub -either they don't remember to tell- (foolish) or they don't want to tell because guests might object (deceptive) or they were simply not trained to tell (foolish or deceptive or both)...It is great that hotels have facilities to accomodate everyone--that should include accomodating the needs of the non-HC with children who need a tub, among others.

Paul

Just a curious question about OKW...are there any handicapped rooms on floors 2 or 3? (excluding the buildings with elevators)

We always ask for
non smoking - health reasons
top floor
non-handicapped room

If we are bringing guests, I ask for a building that has door to bathroom in the laundry room to avoid the buildings that only have the door via the master bed room.

just there in aug. and we changed rooms three times and so did my sisters family( i made all ressies).
and i did request a non handicap rooms, only half of my ressies said non handicap rooms. but each time i checked in i told the cm that i requested not to have a hcr. only one time the cm said they had two rooms one was not ready and a hcr was ready. i just looked at her and could not believe she mentioned about the hcr was ready when i told her no hcr. needless to say we waited for our non hcr room. just dont forget to mention every time you check in " no hcr please".;)

After reading several posts about this, I will always make sure we have a non hcr when I check in. It woudl make for a long week with no tub and two small kids. If I ahve to wait another room that woudl be fine. I have my first two DVc ressies already booked and I only requested non smoking and a general room location. I was worried about requesting non hcr cause I thought they might glance at it and accidnetally put us in one.
geffric mentioned he has this on hsi profile. We ahve profiles? Uh?
If so, I'll call and ask them to put that on mine.
Anyoen know what the percentage is of hcrs in each of the DVc resorts?
I'd imagine as our contract gets to the end these rooms might turn out to be rather popular instead!

"I was worried about requesting non hcr cause I thought they might glance at it and accidnetally put us in one."

lenshanem--When I asked that a non-handicapped room be put on our request, the CM at Member Services advised me not to do it because of the reason you stated.

Now I just make it a point to ask at the front desk before going to our room.

Donna

When we checked in to BCV last week, I decided to just make sure that we did not have a HC room because we have a 2 year old. (I did NOT have it as a request) Sure enough we were in one. I was so glad I asked before we left the counter.

No, I don't think I will put it down as a request - I think I will just make sure at checkin.

Is there anything else different in these rooms, or is it just the tub/shower that's the problem?

I guess I'm wondering about the entire room set-up...if it's handicapped kitchenette area and bathroom sink area or if it's JUST the immediate bathroom that's different.

Please share. :)

Yes, we found several things different-at least in the HA room we had. #1-No separate closet, the "closet" was just the 2 little sides of the TV, pretty cramped. #2-microwave on counter, not up on a shelf, reducing counter space. #3-no separate vanity area-sink was in the bathroom, so families couldn't have one person using bathroom, one person at sink #4-no shelf around bathroom sink at all. This was DH's biggest inconvenience. No place to store shaving supplies, toothbrush, etc. Those are what I remember offhand.

No more handicapped rooms for us! We learned the hard way after being put in one on our last trip - requested a change as soon as we saw the room, but there was no place to move us to. Spent 2 nights handicapped, then finally were able to move to a regular room - of course we had to pay the $40 fee. We didn't like it for all the reasons Simba's Mom said, plus, worst of all, the bathroom floor flooded because there was nothing to contain the water during showers - just a slight slope to the floor to get most of the water down the drain. After our trip, I emailed member services, and got a very nice phone call back from Jackie. Bottom line is that "unfortunately, there will be times when guests are placed in those rooms, whether they request them or not." I will most definately request non-handicapped from now on and take my chances that they don't misread the reservation.

Yes, we have request "Non-handicap" room. If staying in a studio, it makes a difference.
I'm a tub person, I have tendonitis in the hip and need a hot soak to easy the pain. My DH is a shower person and doesn't care for the HC shower setup or the lack of storage room in the bathroom.

Yes, we have been given a HC room before. We had a late check-in after 10 PM and CM did not mention that room was HC. Yes, we asked to be moved. It was a hassle so now we request NonHC.

Sandy

Yes, we wound up in a HC studio at BCV in Jan. Fortunately we discovered it before we used anything in the room, so they moved us without charging the fee.

Besides the characteristics of the room that were already mentioned, I also recall that half the closet had only a very low clothing bar that could be reached from a wheelchair. The other half had a bar of typical height.

I was surprised that they weren't saving the HC rooms to make double sure they had one for anyone who might still be needing one. Or are they assuming that anyone who really needs a HC room would have requested one while making the ressie? :confused:

I wonder what percentage of the studios in each DVC resort are classified as HC units. Anyone know?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!