Anyone ever Reallocate Points from One Contract to Another?

Yea with your conditions, you'd be banking on a Hail Mary. One thing you might be able to do is ask the current owners to make a reservation on your behalf and close after the reservation. But that of course assumes there is availability as MS won't be able to swap it given different owners and contracts.

You're stuck in a tough place.
Is transferring into RCI an option?
I don't know. Tell me more. 28 yearslater and I am RCI ignorant. Contract closed yesterday so I still have to wait out account creation for the next few weeks.

Yea with your conditions, you'd be banking on a Hail Mary. One thing you might be able to do is ask the current owners to make a reservation on your behalf and close after the reservation. But that of course assumes there is availability as MS won't be able to swap it given different owners and contracts.

You're stuck in a tough place.
Is transferring into RCI an option?
BTW, I am a Roger Staubach fan so a Hail Mary is possibe....

And I am going to add that getting the holding status removed from freed up points from the old membership is possible as I have gotten them to do it when I made a huge mistake while selling a contract and booking by mistake on it within 31 days instead of my other one!

So, I agree, try to book new nights, and hope for the best!
That is great to know! I don’t have experience with that portion of it, and started wondering- so thank you!!

Or the inventory?

Thank you for your detailed reply: I appreciate it.
Yes, my “or just book” was in reference to grabbing whatever available inventory there is at the time of booking. No guarantee that rooms will be left… but definitely easiest 😉

If the points are on the same membership, then it is not a problem as .long as it’s the same resort or it was booked 7 months or less and the points show up before the trip.

If the new points are different UY and are already banked, they typically will not help.

I had the issue last summer...wanted them for an August trip but that could not happen given how long it was taking. When they did show up, I wanted them for some nights in an October trip but it was on a different membership.

These points were banked Dec UY and I asked if they could transfer. No dice. I ended up getting lucky and was able to rebook the October trip...different resort..was at VGF ..but ended up getting BCV so it turned out okay.
Let me see if I understand. If I book VGF with my current VGF contract but then purchase VGF2 when it goes on sale, can I modify and use the points from VGF2 (new direct contract)?

Last edited:
Let me see if I understand. If I book VGF with my current VGF contract but then purchase VGF2 when it goes on sale, can I modify and use the points from VGF1?

VGF points are all from the same resort. Other than being deeded to a different building, they function the same They are all VGF points.

The entire VGF1 abs VGf2 is the way people where refer to the new rooms. It’s not something official.

So, all VGF points are VGF points. You would simply be changing out the contract. The only reason you might want to do that is if the new points bought have points that can be banked and you want to use them.

If that is what you mean, then yes. But VGF1 points don’t have priority over VGF2 points for booking the current building, if that is what you were thinking.

VGF points are all from the same resort. Other than being deeded to a different building, they function the same They are all VGF points.

The entire VGF1 abs VGf2 is the way people where refer to the new rooms. It’s not something official.

So, all VGF points are VGF points. You would simply be changing out the contract. The only reason you might want to do that is if the new points bought have points that can be banked and you want to use them.

If that is what you mean, then yes. But VGF1 points don’t have priority over VGF2 points for booking the current building, if that is what you were thinking.
I know they are essentially the same (but thanks for clarifying because many do not). I actually meant VGF2 (new contract) on my last sentence. So, I can book now with my resale contract and then when I purchase more points direct, can I modify the reservation to use the points from my direct contract?
Basically, my VGF contract is resale and just in my name. If I buy direct I’ll include my husband so we both have membership privileges which I think will mean the points won’t combine like they are all one membership/contract. I want to add more nights when I buy the new contract, but I don’t want to do a split reservation because I don’t want to have to chance switching rooms and I want to be able to book dining for the entire trip.

I know they are essentially the same (but thanks for clarifying because many do not). I actually meant VGF2 (new contract) on my last sentence. So, I can book now with my resale contract and then when I purchase more points direct, can I modify the reservation to use the points from my direct contract?
Basically, my VGF contract is resale and just in my name. If I buy direct I’ll include my husband so we both have membership privileges which I think will mean the points won’t combine like they are all one membership/contract. I want to add more nights when I buy the new contract, but I don’t want to do a split reservation because I don’t want to have to chance switching rooms and I want to be able to book dining for the entire trip.

If you have a different membership, then no, you can’t combine them unless you transfer between the two membership.

You won’t be able to transfer banked points, and once you transfer them..which requires a call to MS, they can’t be borrowed for a trip.

The other option is to book some on one and some on the other. We do it a lot and never have had to change rooms. But I understand the hesitation. We don’t like transfers.

When I was faced with this, we added our adult kids to our SSR contract first, so when we added RIV it would be the same membership.

If you have a different membership, then no, you can’t combine them unless you transfer between the two membership.

You won’t be able to transfer banked points, and once you transfer them..which requires a call to MS, they can’t be borrowed for a trip.

The other option is to book some on one and some on the other. We do it a lot and never have had to change rooms. But I understand the hesitation. We don’t like transfers.

When I was faced with this, we added our adult kids to our SSR contract first, so when we added RIV it would be the same membership.
But, can I MODIFY (not cancel and rebook - I don’t want to chance my reservation going to a waitlist) my reservation made with my resale contract to use my new direct contract when it becomes available? Or, will they both not come up on my dashboard if I add my husband to the new one?

But, can I MODIFY (not cancel and rebook - I don’t want to chance my reservation going to a waitlist) my reservation made with my resale contract to use my new direct contract when it becomes available? Or, will they both not come up on my dashboard if I add my husband to the new one?
If your name is the only name on the resale contract and the new direct contract is in both your name and your husband's, they will be two different memberships, as if you were two different people, and the only way to use points from the new membership on a reservation made via the older resale membership would be to transfer points from the new membership to the other. If you add your husband to your resale contract before you buy RIV direct, then you will have only one membership and can probably do what you're wanting to do.

If your name is the only name on the resale contract and the new direct contract is in both your name and your husband's, they will be two different memberships, as if you were two different people, and the only way to use points from the new membership on a reservation made via the older resale membership would be to transfer points from the new membership to the other. If you add your husband to your resale contract before you buy RIV direct, then you will have only one membership and can probably do what you're wanting to do.
So, if my husband’s name is on the new contract, then I won’t be able to modify my current reservation (using original VGF) and choose to use points from my new contract (new direct VGF) instead?
(I realize the points cannot be combined if they aren’t the same membership, but what I don’t understand is if I will have access to both on my dashboard and can book/modify using either contract?)
Thanks!

and the only way to use points from the new membership on a reservation made via the older resale membership would be to transfer points from the new membership to the other.

This is why I love this board! I never considered transferring from the new to the old! I was just thinking I wanted to book using my direct so we could use our blue cards, but I’ll have those regardless of which contract we book with (correct?)! 🤦‍♀️

So, if my husband’s name is on the new contract, then I won’t be able to modify my current reservation (using original VGF) and choose to use points from my new contract (new direct VGF) instead?
(I realize the points cannot be combined if they aren’t the same membership, but what I don’t understand is if I will have access to both on my dashboard and can book/modify using either contract?)
Thanks!
You cannot modify a reservation which has been made using points from Membership A to use points from Membership B. It doesn't matter that you can see both memberships in your dashboard. They are still separate and independent of each other.

What you can do is transfer the points from Membership B to Membership A. Then the transferred points should be used before the annual allotment of points from Membership A when you modify the reservation.

You cannot modify a reservation which has been made using points from Membership A to use points from Membership B. It doesn't matter that you can see both memberships in your dashboard. They are still separate and independent of each other.

What you can do is transfer the points from Membership B to Membership A. Then the transferred points should be used before the annual allotment of points from Membership A when you modify the reservation.

Thank you!!!
(Membership A and Membership B makes more sense than the way I was trying to explain it!)
I had thought as long as they were the same UY and resort, it might still work. But, transferring my new points from B to A will work so I can extend my trip and have all one reservation! I hadn’t considered that! Thanks!

No. The reservation is tied to the membership that it is booked under.

So, when modifying, only the contracts from that membership will show up as choices.

As mentioned, different owners on a contract means a new membership and points can not be used for the same reservation unless you actual call MS and have the points transferred from the contract in the new membership to the one with the reservation.

As long as the points you are trying to use from new new membership are not already banked, you can transfer without an issue.

No. The reservation is tied to the membership that it is booked under.

So, when modifying, only the contracts from that membership will show up as choices.

As mentioned, different owners on a contract means a new membership and points can not be used for the same reservation unless you actual call MS and have the points transferred from the contract in the new membership to the one with the reservation.

As long as the points you are trying to use from new new membership are not already banked, you can transfer without an issue.
Thank you!! I knew points would have to be transferred as they couldn’t be combined since there were different owners, but the modification was what was throwing me off! But, thinking of them like two completely separate memberships helps!
Basically, the only way I can MODIFY is if I add my husband to my original contract or don’t add him to my new one? Both contracts need to have the same name(s). Since I’ll have the same UY and resort, then I can combine points too so modifying isn’t needed. So, names on both memberships need to match in order to combine points when making new reservations or to modify an existing reservation. Am I understanding this now?

Last edited:
This is the idea that a lot of people struggle with. It’s why, when you purchase additional points, the broker and title agent are so anal about how the ownership is listed on the deed. If there is any difference in the tenancy (single, married, joint, etc.) or ANY change in the name of the legal owner(s), the result will be a new membership. Even if your first contract uses your middle initial and your second contact spells your name out (and no other differences), it will result in a new membership.

Thank you!! I knew points would have to be transferred as they couldn’t be combined since there were different owners, but the modification was what was throwing me off! But, thinking of them like two completely separate memberships helps!
Basically, the only way I can MODIFY is if I add my husband to my original contract or don’t add him to my new one? Both contracts need to have the same name(s). Since I’ll have the same UY and resort, then I can combine points too so modifying isn’t needed. So, names on both memberships need to match in order to combine points when making new reservations or to modify an existing reservation. Am I understanding this now?

Correct! That is why we ended up changing title to our SSR contract to add the kids when we wanted to purchase RIV abs have them as owners.

So, the easiest way to use both contract together as one big pool of points is to have them titled the same way!

This is the idea that a lot of people struggle with. It’s why, when you purchase additional points, the broker and title agent are so anal about how the ownership is listed on the deed. If there is any difference in the tenancy (single, married, joint, etc.) or ANY change in the name of the legal owner(s), the result will be a new membership. Even if your first contract uses your middle initial and your second contact spells your name out (and no other differences), it will result in a new membership.

This is not always the case. We have contracts with DH and myself. One has middle names and the other does not. One he is first and one I am.

They are both in my Dec UY membership. I think as long as it’s clear it’s the same people and the current membership number is included it should be fine.

But, any different owner who is added will trigger the new membership.

ETA: It looks like the current contracts are just not the same order, but use initials not middle names..so maybe it was a different contract I had!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter