Anyone ever Reallocate Points from One Contract to Another?

Looking for some of the professional old timers here
I have a huge trip booked in July on my original 28 year old points. If all goes well, the contract I close on tomorrow will show up in my account at the end of June. The new resale contract has 520 points expiring July 31st. Has anyone ever tried (successfully) to ask MS to reallocate the points from one contract to another?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Looking for some of the professional old timers here
I have a huge trip booked in July on my original 28 year old points. If all goes well, the contract I close on tomorrow will show up in my account at the end of June. The new resale contract has 520 points expiring July 31st. Has anyone ever tried (successfully) to ask MS to realocate the points from one contract to another?
Thanks!

Re-allocate as in transfer? I haven't tried.

But..assuming your trip is the end of July and your contract populates early June (ie, more than 30 days) then you can modify the existing reservation and select a different contract. I've done that to switch a couple reservations before after I made a purchase.

Aren't the points in a contract representative of a fractional ownership interest in a specific unit, and therefore can't legally be combined? Even if the contracts are at the same resort, because they were putchased separately, they represent ownership in separate, discrete units.

Last edited:

If the points are on the same membership, then it is not a problem as .long as it’s the same resort or it was booked 7 months or less and the points show up before the trip.

If the new points are different UY and are already banked, they typically will not help.

I had the issue last summer...wanted them for an August trip but that could not happen given how long it was taking. When they did show up, I wanted them for some nights in an October trip but it was on a different membership.

These points were banked Dec UY and I asked if they could transfer. No dice. I ended up getting lucky and was able to rebook the October trip...different resort..was at VGF ..but ended up getting BCV so it turned out okay.

If the points are on the same membership, then it is not a problem. If the new points are not, and are already banked, they typically will not help.

I had the issue last summer...wanted them for an August trip but that could not happen given how long it was taking. When they did show up, I wanted them for some nights in an October trip but it was on a different membership.

These points were banked Dec UY and I asked if they could transfer. No dice. I ended up getting lucky and was able to rebook the October trip...different resort..was at VGF ..but ended up getting BCV so it turned out okay.
Buy isn't the OP asking if the points themselves can be moved from one contract to another ("realocate the points from one contract to another")? That's not the same as combining points from multiple contracts. No?

Buy isn't the OP asking if the points themselves can be moved from one contract to another ("realocate the points from one contract to another")? That's not the same as combining points from multiple contracts. No?

I assumed OP was talking about changing the points used from the old contract to the new one.

Sometimes the terms get used the same way. People will say I am adding points to my contract instead of adding points to the membership.

You are correct, an actual contract can never change. But, additional contracts can be bought and added to the membership.

So, points can be reallocated within a trip to use new points from a new contract and free up the original points,

I assumed OP was talking about changing the points used from the old contract to the new one.

Sometimes the terms get used the same way. People will say I am adding points to my contract instead of adding points to the membership.

You are correct, an actual contract can never change. But, additional contracts can be bought and added to the membership.

So, points can be reallocated within a trip to use new points from a new contract and free up the original points,
Right, you can switch the points used for a reservation from one contract to another, but can’t switch the points from one contract to another.

I assumed the OP meant combining contracts because the process you described is pretty common, and they did seem to stress that they had an inkling what they wanted to do wouldn’t fly.

Last edited:
Re-allocate as in transfer? I haven't tried.

But..assuming your trip is the end of July and your contract populates early June (ie, more than 30 days) then you can modify the existing reservation and select a different contract. I've done that to switch a couple reservations before after I made a purchase.
It can't be 30 days out - more like 2 weeks out

If the points are on the same membership, then it is not a problem as .long as it’s the same resort or it was booked 7 months or less and the points show up before the trip.

If the new points are different UY and are already banked, they typically will not help.

different use year - the points are banked from last year to this year and will expire on July 31st.

Right, you can switch the points used for a reservation from one contract to another, but can’t switch the points from one contract to another.

I assumed the OP meant combining contracts because the process you described is pretty common, and they did seem to stress that they had an inkling what they wanted to do wouldn’t fly.
Yes, it would be a new contract under a different number because it is a different use year.

I don't think you can relocate then. Also remember even if you can relocate, I think you will have to do it outside the 31 day window to avoid the original points going into holding. Granted holding points are better than expired points.

different use year - the points are banked from last year to this year and will expire on July 31st.
Yes, it would be a new contract under a different number because it is a different use year.
Under those conditions, the answer would be no. The only way to use the points from the new contract would be to cancel the original reservation and re-book using the new contract. Doing that less than 30 days out would put the points from the original contract in holding. And you would be fortunate to get the nights back if you canceled more than 30 days out because the waitlist would be likely pick them up for someone else.

I don't think you can relocate then. Also remember even if you can relocate, I think you will have to do it outside the 31 day window to avoid the original points going into holding. Granted holding points are better than expired points.
Absolutely, I can manage holding points. I have flexability.

Oh I wasn’t even thinking about holding as any reallocation less than 31 days results in the freed up points going into holding.

So, you’d need an exception to transferring banked points to another membership and removal of holding for the freed up points.

You can certainly call and try but I think the best you can hope for is waiving of holding for any nights you can get with the new points in the new UY from canceling what you have.

So sorry Pixie dust you get luck!

Last edited:

Yea with your conditions, you'd be banking on a Hail Mary. One thing you might be able to do is ask the current owners to make a reservation on your behalf and close after the reservation. But that of course assumes there is availability as MS won't be able to swap it given different owners and contracts.

You're stuck in a tough place.
Is transferring into RCI an option?

As Sandisw said, reallocation can only happen within the same membership/UY. I’ve actually tried this with a few new-to-me resale contracts. Each time I have asked super sweetly, and I have been told it’s truly not even possible... not even with pixie dust. Your 2 memberships are the same as 2 different people, and you can’t send your reservation to someone else. Nor will they let you transfer banked points. No exceptions. Nor can you transfer current points over to the new membership with a reservation attached. Again, no exceptions.

Your only option (as told to me now by multiple CM’s at MS) is to: make a booking with your current (*old* UY) points, as soon as your *new* membership loads with points create a waitlist for the exact reservation that you already have booked, call into MS, and pray they can catch that reservation as soon as you release it (that last part is key- make sure you cancel the held reservation so that they can solely focus on catching the new one- I made the mistake of letting the CM helping me do both parts the first time, and I lost that reservation- never again!!).

Or... you can just book whatever is available as soon as your points load... which is much, much simpler 😉 (...but where’s the adventure in that?! 😆)

I also want to wish you the best of luck!! I know how *stressful* it can be to try to use those banked points before they expire. I truly hope you can find a way to make it work!!! ✨✨✨

As Sandisw said, reallocation can only happen within the same membership/UY. I’ve actually tried this with a few new-to-me resale contracts. Each time I have asked super sweetly, and I have been told it’s truly not even possible... not even with pixie dust. Your 2 memberships are the same as 2 different people, and you can’t send your reservation to someone else. Nor will they let you transfer banked points. No exceptions. Nor can you transfer current points over to the new membership with a reservation attached. Again, no exceptions.

Your only option (as told to me now by multiple CM’s at MS) is to: make a booking with your current (*old* UY) points, as soon as your *new* membership loads with points create a waitlist for the exact reservation that you already have booked, call into MS, and pray they can catch that reservation as soon as you release it (that last part is key- make sure you cancel the held reservation so that they can solely focus on catching the new one- I made the mistake of letting the CM helping me do both parts the first time, and I lost that reservation- never again!!).

Or... you can just book whatever is available as soon as your points load... which is much, much simpler 😉 (...but where’s the adventure in that?! 😆)

And I am going to add that getting the holding status removed from freed up points from the old membership is possible as I have gotten them to do it when I made a huge mistake while selling a contract and booking by mistake on it within 31 days instead of my other one!

So, I agree, try to book new nights, and hope for the best!

Or the inventory?

Thank you for your detailed reply: I appreciate it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter