Anyone ever hook up an A/C window unit to their tent?

Hey all, i've found this website for tent a/c units. I have ordered one and am looking at trying it out at the Fort this july.

http://www.kooleraire.com/index.htm

basically is it a fan that sits on top of a cooler and sucks the cool air out of the cooler into the Tent. No need for a drain and they suggest using frozen water bottles instead of ice. The best part is that total cost is under $50.00. I am hoping to get it sometime this week so I can try it out ahead of time. I'll let everybody know how well it works in our tent.

From what I've read about the Kooleraire you will be spending the other $50 (the differance between the KA and a WalMart A/C) buying ice at the Fort! This thing apparently CHEWS through ice, which might not be too bad if staying somewhere with free ice, but you might go through a $2 bag in an hour or two! I don't mean to be a curmudgeon or nay-sayer, but just to let you know what I've read. You might want to do some more research and possibly return it unopened. Let us know what you find out.

:santa:

Yeah, we had one of those things at work. (several battery chargers in an almost unairconditioned area = very hot.)

They were even using dry ice, which was free... but barely made a dent. Maybe because it wasn't seals in area. But you could only feel it the most when standing right next to it.

We did, on one of the windows like in some of the pictures here, it worked great, we also used another one in our kitchen one.

Great idea! Learn something new everyday, A/C in a tent. Good idea for an RV enclosed screen room also. Thanks

From what I've read about the Kooleraire you will be spending the other $50 (the differance between the KA and a WalMart A/C) buying ice at the Fort! This thing apparently CHEWS through ice, which might not be too bad if staying somewhere with free ice, but you might go through a $2 bag in an hour or two! I don't mean to be a curmudgeon or nay-sayer, but just to let you know what I've read. You might want to do some more research and possibly return it unopened. Let us know what you find out.

:santa:

Also the Kooleraire's don't work well in humid conditions, just makes things more humid!!

I wasn't able to just sit the ac in my tent very well.. so i built a small airbox that attached to the a/c unit and then used dryer ducts for the return as well as the cooling side... it works quite well..
take a look at byandrewdavis.com/2009/06/air-conditioning-for-you-tent-camping-in-the-heat

As for the return air, i used two air ducts to make sure that the a/c unit wasn't being starved for air and having to overwork itself.

I made the box out of something called Tuff-R and aluminum tape all in about 1.5hrs

I can't post the url since i'm a new user... but Give it a try!

HERE is an example of a free standing unit. Stand it up in the tent and shove the exhaust hose out the little door. Might need a little duct tape the seal it up.

As to the evaporative A/C units (like Kooleraire) they will NOT work in humid central Florida. If you want to try it, save your money and just bring a fan to blow air across the top of a standard cooler. They are well suited fo rthe desert of AZ, but not the swamps of florida. For more information check out the Wkik page HERE.

HERE is an example of a free standing unit. Stand it up in the tent and shove the exhaust hose out the little door. Might need a little duct tape the seal it up.

As to the evaporative A/C units (like Kooleraire) they will NOT work in humid central Florida. If you want to try it, save your money and just bring a fan to blow air across the top of a standard cooler. They are well suited fo rthe desert of AZ, but not the swamps of florida. For more information check out the Wkik page HERE.

I have similar Whirlpool A/C unit that I lent to a friend for their tent and they said it worked great.

I know this is an old post but I was looking for the same answer and came across this post and wanted to post this that I found. I personally went for the Bushnell Shield tent cos it looked like the best quality and the larger sizes are tall enough to stand up in.

I was amused reading about the Kooleraire option. When the PP explained that it sits above a cooler and uses a ton of ice, it made me think about cousin Orville sitting in the bathtub with the fan blowing across a block of ice in Carousel of Progress. I'm not into camping and won't ever need any of this but just the thought of Orville put a smile on my face this morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter