Anyone ever had a problem with Menards rebates? Help!

mrspaha

Mouseketeer
Over the last few years, I've gotten some really good deals at Menards with rebate items. Usually it's free after rebate type things, and my credits are a few dollars or maybe up to $20. I've never had a problem. (For those of you not familiar with their rebates, it's a "merchandise credit" you can use at any Menards. It's printed like on a postcard, and not enclosed within an envelope).

But in January, my son moved into a new apartment, and we got him some cheap furniture at Menards, that in total had $260 of rebates. (The furniture of course wasn't free after rebates, but was really a super deal) I sent it in, as normal; didn't really think about it for a while, because it usually takes several weeks to get the rebate back. But, I finally started to wonder, checked their online rebate tracking, and it showed it that the rebate had been issued.

So I sent the rebate processing center an email last week with all of the info, and this morning got the response back that yes, the credit was actually issued on January 25th, and it was redeemed at the store nearest to us (where I go) on February 1st.

It was kind of a standard form letter that basically said that the US Post office is responsible for delivering all mail, and if I think my postal delivery is being mishandled I should direct my concerns to the US Postmaster or police department in my area.

Well, if it was $5 or $10, I'd probably just let it go, but for $260, I'm just sick about it! I have to do something, but I fear I'm not going to have much luck. I'm thinking I'll start by going to the post office and trying to talk to the guy in charge there, but I really don't know what he can or would do about it.

Anyone ever have this happen to them? Since it's not an actual check that someone has to go the bank for, I can't see how they can really track what happened. Anyone have any thoughts?

It probably got stolen by someone working for usps or it got delivered to your neighbors accidently and they just decided to use it. I would call menards and ask them what you should do. USPS will probably just look at you funny (at least at my post office, they would)

Since its for so much money and they know the date it was used on, see if they can get a time and review security tapes.

They should really start putting the rebates in envelopes so anyone who comes in contact with it cannot see how much it is worth!!

Multiple times our local mailman has delivered incorrect Menards rebates to our house. We always just throw them back in the mailbox with a note to forward. My guess is part of the reason is they are just a small postcard, so they might get mixed in the shuffle. I would Contact the post office to at least say you tried, but my guess is a resolution will come from Menards. I am certain you are not the first person this has happened to!

OP here. Thought I'd give you an update. I was so upset about this (still am), I decided I'd at least try to pursue it, so I went to our local post office this morning with a printout of the email from the rebate center. The post office DOES NOT have complaint forms to fill out, which surprised me. You can file a complaint and submit it online to the office of the Inspector General, but I figured I'd get nowhere with that.

So, I talked to the Delivery Supervisor at the post office. He was somewhat sympathetic, I think because I was really nice about it and said I understood how it's probably hard for the letter carriers in this cold weather to handle so many pieces of mail, etc etc; but I was out $260 because someone else somewhere along the line got a hold of my first class mail and redeemed my $260 rebate check.

So he suggested I go to the Menards store and explain it to them and see if they would do anything for me. Well, he didn't even write down my information, or indicate that he was going to do anything at his end.

So, I asked if there was anyone else I could talk to. He go the "officer in charge" to come out and talk with me. She was real nice, and she took a copy of my email with all of the information and said she would file the complaint form with the Inspector General for me, which I know she did because she emailed me the receipt for it.

Realistically, I doubt if I'll get any reimbursement from the post office; the receipt even said that they don't guarantee results, but if they see a pattern they will investigate, and "possibly prevent other people from being victimized".

I don't go to Menards often (they're not super close to my house), but next time I'm going to be in the area, I'm planning on taking my information and talking to the store manager to see if there's anything Menards can do about it. I'm not real optimistic, but I've got nothing else to lose...

I think I would try to pursue it a bit more with Menards. Thier rebates are supposed to be signed by the person they were issued to when they are used...kind of like a check. (I'm not sure, but it seems like they also say on them that you need ID to use them) Someone else had to have forged your signature to have used it. Menards should make it right if they allowed someone else to use the rebate.

All that being said, I don't think Menards is up to the same customer service that they used to have. We do a lot of own own remodeling at our house and they used to be our favorite place to shop. We keep leaning towards their competitors lately.

We have to show ID at the Menards we generally go to - even if the rebate check is $0.50.

I would really push this back to Menards...they are the ones tha allowed someone to cash that rebare check without following their procedure to check the ID.

I do Menards rebates all the time and have for several years. If a rebate hasn't come to me, they are very good at letting me provide the info and following up. ALWAYS have photocopies of the rebates you send in. Follow up again with the store or the rebate center and ask them for a signature of who signed the check. Have never been asked for ID when I cash them, but have always had to sign them. Good luck with getting your money.

1st

You can file a complaint with the postal inspectors online. I would not file with any other postal office. The postal inspectors job is basically the police of the post office. They will investigate. Of all the federal law enforcement officers I have met, the postal inspectors scare me the most; not that I'm committing any crimes. They are especially tough if they suspect a mail carrier. An old mail carrier is currently in prison for stealing checks from an elderly neighbor. The postal inspectors added me to the complaint because they found evidence that a $10 Pepsi rebate check was taken with our address. I had no idea. The mail carrier took a plea.

2nd

I'd follow up with Menards. I always have to show ID to use a rebate. They may be able to find the transaction, so you can see the receipt. If you get a copy of the receipt you know the time. Also you may see if any other payment method was used--criminals are not smart. If they used their personal credit card or debit card for any difference, the postal inspectors or police will want that information.

3rd

You could file a report with your local police department. I would make an appointment to file a report. Do Not call 911. It is a form of fraud if someone improperly used the rebate check. It probably isn't check fraud, because the rebate check was not a "real" check. Depending on your local ordinances it could be fraud and theft or fraud by deception. If you are the 5th person with a similar complaint, someone will investigate.

op-sorry this happened. It sucks. If you paid with your credit card you could also call and see if they can help you with any buyer protections. If nothing else they can put a little pressure on Menards.

Good luck

Call menards asap...they only have video for a limited time before it is recorded over

I would call Menard's corporate office and complain and express your concerns about the no envelope thing.

I did the Menard's rebate thing for the first time last fall and I was shocked that it came on a postcard. That's like Target mailing you a giftcard with the barcode and amount showing for anyone to see. They would never do that. It's just Menard's being cheap....postcards are cheap to mail.

I think their corporate office is in Wisconsin. I would look on their website and give them a call. That is a LOT of money to lose out on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter