Anyone else think Photopass quality is decreasing?

Last year my photopass was excellent, we just got back and I'm looking at my photos online and I am definitely NOT impressed at all.

I just saw a mouseplanet tweet about a new "Mydisneyphotopass.com" which is only open to resort guests starting today, so I can't even see if they've fixed some of the prior problems. More likely is that they added a flashy new interface that will perform even worse than the current photopass website.

I was able to log Into the new site with my usual Disney ID. Looks the same as usual except you can now link to your MagicBand or a PhotoPass card. I don't have any photos active right now but I'm going to assume that it's got an upgraded back-end. Can't be worse than the old one performance-wise. And this certainly explains why they didn't upgrade the old site as performance got worse and worse.

There is a notice on the front page - all photos will now expire 45 days from date taken unless you purchase an extension. So I guess that means no more 30 day window to register your card + another 30 to order.

I just received my photo pass+ package in the mail yesterday. I hear of a new website today that needs new login info. After all the posts I've read today I'm getting worried. If I have to set up a new profile, how do I get my prepaid PP+ CD after my trip. Arriving in 9 days! Excited and now nervous.

I was able to login with my Disney ID. If I remember correctly, the old PP site was not connected to the Disney login. Not positive on this since I used the same ID for both. But in any event, login was easy.

It says if your photos were taken before this week, use the old site. New photos will appear on the new site.mIt does not say how you get credit for your pre-ordered CD. Or what to do if your trip spans the switchover date.mBut PP customer service has always been good. I would try logging in and then give them a call. I suspect they will migrate people's credits and photos from the old to the new on an as-needed basis.

If anyone takes photos this week, be sure and tell us what the site looks like, how it performs and, most importantly, whether there are new borders. :-)

Thanks!

We were last there in 2009 and we used Photopass. When we saw the pictures, I was shocked. I thought my 10 year old nephew could do a better job. I always thought they were very poor and now people are reporting it's gone down hill.

I was just reviewing our Photopass pics on the website and there were far more bad pics than good ones. There were several ones with our eyes closed or snapped when we were clearly not posing yet. The only really decent pics were the ones taken in the Epcot Character spot by the Mickey photographer. If I'd purchased a photopass CD in advance I would have been pretty upset. Since I have my own pics on my iPhone too it's not that big an issue, but definitely not what it used to be.

We had amazing pics on our trip last August. I have 5 discs of photos and edits and there were hardly any bad ones.

If the new site is attached to your Disney login, that's going to kill shares, isn't it?

We pre-purchased the CD (via a share) in 2011 and I was very, very happy with it.

In 2012, we did Photopass+, and I was pretty unhappy with it. I realized after I got home that for the increased cost, I was expecting too much. In 2011, it was our first trip, we were super excited about everything, and we were sure to tell the photographers that we pre-purchased the CD. We got a ton of great candids. But in 2012, I let the Photopass+ card "speak for itself" and I think that was our downfall. I think if we would have been more enthusiastic with the photographers like we were on our first trip, and asked/encouraged them to take more pictures, I think it would have been better.

In June, we went on a quick SWW trip, and since it was SWW we decided to preorder the CD again. We were very, VERY happy with the pictures, including the JTA photos. But again, we had more fun with the photographers, interacted more, etc. So I'll definitely order again (just the regular CD, not the Photopass+) for our next trip, but be sure to tell the photographers that we have the CD and that we love candids. I think I just took it too much for granted the second time around.

This is a timely thread for me as I am just now going through my photos from last week. Some are amazing, and some are only okay. I am super disappointed in one though. We posed outside of DHS with the Monsters University scene with Sully and Mike W. made of plants. The photographer took only one picture and it doesn't have any of the background t all. It is a close-up of our family and neither kid is looking at the camera. I can't believe the photographer only took one picture. There was not much of a line or anything.

I will still do PP+ though next year because I love getting lots of pictures of the whole family.

As I said earlier, I think it's always been hit or miss but I don't think it's gone downhill over time. I have good and bad photos from every trip. Some trips are better than others. But looking through my last two trips (12 days in Dec and 2 in May), I had a lot of really great shots and plenty of good ones. More than enough to make it worthwhile.

These are from the photo shoot at AKL. The difference between these and the horrible ones at the Grand Floridian were how much time the photographer spent with us. The ones at Wilderness Lodge were in between.

9673617043_fd59be5655_m.jpg

AKL 1

9673617367_5da6f492a8_m.jpg

AKL 2

9673621517_76123b0fc8_m.jpg

AKL 3

Same trip but obviously, different photographer. I now have several great shots of my parents.
9676849892_5002b23d27_m.jpg

France

These are some of the playful poses that the photographers will do, in addition to the usual smiling shots. Again, the key here is getting to them when there's not a huge line.

9673621801_e72f1d2925_m.jpg

Pose 1

9673622627_706efcf402_m.jpg

Pose 2

9676848642_63e15cf05d_m.jpg

Pose 3

9673620479_d55aa3d7e4_m.jpg

Pose 4

And these are interaction shots that I got along with the standard posed shots. Telling them you have the CD usually results in more interaction shots because they know you're going to keep them. Some of them don't come out well because people are moving around but some are real keepers.

9676848890_da255fcf0b_m.jpg

Vanellope

9676850938_62ec04cf9d_m.jpg

Charming Mickey and My Parents

9673619457_8238e47955_m.jpg

Minnie

Some of these sets, especially Storybook Circus, have horrible lighting for photos. Honestly, it would take a truly talented photographer and a lot of equipment to fix that lighting. But still, that picture of Minnie is a favorite.

This is a night shot. I will admit that most of the night shots come out pretty badly. But I love this one from our May trip. It's dark and rainy and we're completely soaked and bedraggled from a commando touring day (and riding Big Thunder in the rain!) But we had so much fun and this picture captures all of that perfectly.

9676851064_913e45b154_m.jpg

MK

*sigh* I'd already made the decision not to do PP this trip, strictly for budgeting reasons. But I might just have to figure out a way to squeeze it in. I've honestly never done a trip without it, even the short ones. :thumbsup2

If the new site is attached to your Disney login, that's going to kill shares, isn't it?

On the old site, you still had to associate the cards with one person's account. And then that person was responsible for distributing, right? That's how I've done family shares.

So in the short term, that shouldn't change. Now, if the generic PP card becomes obsolete and PP is tied to your Magic Band or RFID card, then it might get trickier. I assume I can still consolidate photos from all of the people listed in MDE as my "family". But at the very least, there's likely to be an extra level of complication there.

This is a timely thread for me as I am just now going through my photos from last week. Some are amazing, and some are only okay. I am super disappointed in one though. We posed outside of DHS with the Monsters University scene with Sully and Mike W. made of plants. The photographer took only one picture and it doesn't have any of the background t all. It is a close-up of our family and neither kid is looking at the camera. I can't believe the photographer only took one picture. There was not much of a line or anything.

I will still do PP+ though next year because I love getting lots of pictures of the whole family.

Someone suggested looking at the pics before you leave the park. That way you can retake any "must haves". There's a location in every park (though they get busy near closing). I never did it in the past because registering your card started the clock ticking. But if there is now just a 45 day window from date taken, there would be no reason not to. I've definitely had some disappointments, especially Magic Shots. They can be really tricky to get right.

Mostly I just get a lot of shots. We had like 800 on our 12 day trip (plus the several thousand I took myself). And I had a couple hundred on a two-day trip in May. I've been known to literally stop at ever photographer we see. Like in front of the castle where there's one every 10 feet. Yeah, I've had days where I hit all of them just because we can. :rolleyes1

On the old site, you still had to associate the cards with one person's account. And then that person was responsible for distributing, right? That's how I've done family shares.

So in the short term, that shouldn't change. Now, if the generic PP card becomes obsolete and PP is tied to your Magic Band or RFID card, then it might get trickier. I assume I can still consolidate photos from all of the people listed in MDE as my "family". But at the very least, there's likely to be an extra level of complication there.

My thinking was that no one is going to give their MDE login info to others to do edits.

photofreak said:
I have to ask, where did you meet Venolope from Wreck It Ralph? My dd13 loves her.... Lol

She and Ralph are in the animation building at DHS. Entrance is between Little Mermaid show and Disney Jr. Show.

I have to ask, where did you meet Venolope from Wreck It Ralph? My dd13 loves her.... Lol

Ralph & Vanellope have a permanent Meet & Greet now in the Animation building in Hollywood Studios. The queue was very cool too. The characters don't sign but they pass out little picture cards.

http://kennythepirate.com/2013/01/02/wreck-it-ralph-and-vanellope/

http://kennythepirate.com/disney-world-character-schedules/disney-world-hollywood-studios-characters-schedule-list/wreck-it-ralph-and-vanellope/

My thinking was that no one is going to give their MDE login info to others to do edits.

I hadn't thought of that because I've only ever shared with family - and I'm just in charge of all the pictures and edits. But, yeah, if that's how group shares are done, I can't see that one working out anymore.

I have to comment that I would be HIGHLY surprised that if, all of a sudden, the PP quality totally went downhill. Our photos the last three years have been great.

1) You can, and should, talk with the PP photographer. Let them know what you're looking for in the photo.
2) Don't be afraid to come up with your own ideas for poses or other candid shots. We've done this a lot the last couple of years. The PP photographers are more than happy to accommodate. I think it breaks up the monotony for them.
3) If you weren't ready for a shot, and didn't think you got a good photo, say so! Ask them to please take a couple more.
4) Have fun!

<--- BTW, my avatar is a PP photo. (it's been cropped for my avatar of course) It's one of my all time favorites of my family. :)

Dan

I have to comment that I would be HIGHLY surprised that if, all of a sudden, the PP quality totally went downhill. Our photos the last three years have been great.

1) You can, and should, talk with the PP photographer. Let them know what you're looking for in the photo.
2) Don't be afraid to come up with your own ideas for poses or other candid shots. We've done this a lot the last couple of years. The PP photographers are more than happy to accommodate. I think it breaks up the monotony for them.
3) If you weren't ready for a shot, and didn't think you got a good photo, say so! Ask them to please take a couple more.
4) Have fun!

<--- BTW, my avatar is a PP photo. (it's been cropped for my avatar of course) It's one of my all time favorites of my family. :)

Dan

Yes! What Dan said. My avi is a PP Magic Shot. I'm going to add a #5 to Dan's list and say always ask the photographer if they have any Magic Shots and then do whatever Magic Shot they have, no matter what it is. Just say yes.

Also, they don't edit out photos so that's why you'll see bad shots with the good and its why they take more than one picture.

I feel bad for those that aren't happy because PP pictures have been the best Disney money I've spent outside of my resort room and tickets.

New cards to go with the new site.

[URL = "http://instagram.com/p/d12qGOPIxG/"]Photopass Card[/URL]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter