• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anyone else have travel anxiety?

This is all so ME. Always has been. But our trip coming up in 4 days has me in the worst state I have ever been in.
It just seems so unlikely that we will make our flight connection in Calgary. And there is no way out of it without spending $1200 or else spending 6 hours on the highway and $700 on a one way car rental to get to Calgary.
I am not feeling any joy about the trip right now. Just nauseous and sad.

I have anxiety reading this thread! Seriously, I do a lot of the same things, check passports, wallets, medications etc multiple times, plus the night before I travel, I always have a dream. I dream that I'm at the airport without any luggage, or without passports. Last time I travelled, I dreamt I was at the check in line and realized I had no pants on! Once I get to the airport, always early which is a big joke in my family, check in the luggage and get through security, I settle down. It is exhausting though.

This is all so ME. Always has been. But our trip coming up in 4 days has me in the worst state I have ever been in.
It just seems so unlikely that we will make our flight connection in Calgary. And there is no way out of it without spending $1200 or else spending 6 hours on the highway and $700 on a one way car rental to get to Calgary.
I am not feeling any joy about the trip right now. Just nauseous and sad.

Did it all work out okay?

Hi,
Yes everything worked out perfectly. Arrived in Orlando about 30 min ahead of schedule yesterday. Spend the morning at Animal Kingdom, took a nice hotel break/swim and heading back shortly.

Re the anxiety though, it’s a real problem. I did not sleep at all night before. Part of it is excitement for the trip but most of it is worrying. 🤷‍♀️

That’s exactly when I relax. My family knows dont even try to talk to me the day of travel.

Why I don’t use Canadian airlines anymore. Too many problems with AC! Stopped flying with them years ago and I still have a ton of points with them. I have an Aeroplan credit card so points don’t expire. I’ve had too many nightmares with them. Last flight broke the camels back. Was supposed to land in YVR at 2pm, didn’t get in until way past midnight. YVR was a ghost town.
I now fly with US carriers. Alaska mostly. Seattle is their hub.
That sucks but stories like that are why I’m doing all of our flights out of the US.

Have you looked at Southwest out of Bellingham? They have had some crazy low prices.

Yep, I experience travel anxiety too. It manifests in a complete inability to sleep the night before a trip (even if its local and I'm not flying or anything), and at least the first hotel night. I end up in a full blown, heart pounding, adrenaline rush panic attack just as I get into bed, and lay there wired up all night. Repeat the next day, and sometimes into day 2 or 3 of a trip. It's a real problem. I LOVE staying in hotels in general, but my brain is like "HIGH ALERT, HIGH ALERT, UNFAMILIAR SURROUNDINGS." I often end up with a migraine, or sick with a cold from the lack of sleep over the first few days.

I have been this way my whole life. I remember going to sleepover parties and being the only kid who lay awake all night long. I never slept a wink.
This could have been me writing this. The two days before are as you say heart pounding. Thank goodness it all goes away the moment the plane lands. it’s not easy.

That sucks but stories like that are why I’m doing all of our flights out of the US.

Have you looked at Southwest out of Bellingham? They have had some crazy low prices.
No I haven’t! I usually fly Alaska. I’ve flown with SW once. I’ll have to check them out. I have no additional fees with Alaska, can pick seats, have priority boarding and free luggage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter