Anyone else get sick this week at disney?

Make sure you are using the correct wipes and cleaning agents if you bring your own along. Alcohol won't kill Norovirus.

I got a throat/cold virus pretty badly (returned home this past Tuesday)- but I'm just assuming that's from all the crowds and planes.

We just got back 3 days ago from wdw... On day 3 of our stay my baby also got the stomach bug, a few hours later my hubby got it. The Following day my daughter & I got it & on the very last day my oldest son got it.. We lost 2 full days and a ton of dining credits as well. soooo disappointing :sad: hope everyone is feeling better!

Denned has it right: Lysol is better than alcohol-based wipes. It has a quaternary ammonia-based cleaning product. Bleach is better than that but most "Clorox wipes" actually have quats in them unless they say "with bleach". Norovirus is killed by heat so running the pillows through the dryer should work if you can get them hot enough for long enough. For hands, soap and water is your best protection against norovirus but alcohol-based hand gel is great for preventing colds and flu. If you saw a mom and son singing happy birthday at the sinks last week, it was probably us! You need to wet your hands, then lather with soap for 15-20 seconds and rinse with your hands moving and scrubbing under the water.

My Ds4 and I are getting better slowly (he is improving more quickly than I am) and I think we either went into an unlucky bathroom stall or ate something together. Food workers can spread norovirus to others through their food for a week or more AFTER they get better so its up to a company to put policies into place about food workers with diarrheal illness that keeps them away from food production long enough to prevent spread. If we as visitors continue to see such illnesses as inevitable and always blame a parent bringing sick kids to the park (no kid with norovirus is well enough to be in the park after the first time they vomit), disney won't address policy for food workers. Does anyone know what Disney's policy is about restricting sick food workers?

Elandon, I appreciate you sharing your knowlege with us. Hang around here to answer other questions, too, ok??:thumbsup2

Not at Disney yet, but the kids and I had the stomach flu two weeks ago and my husband had it last weekend. So glad we had it before we came to Disney. We couldn't get out of the bed.... I had it over the long weekend and was okay by Tuesday, having been sick on Friday.

My youngest got sick Sunday and was sick all through Monday throwing up. Sunday was our last day there and she woke up with a bellyache so probably picked something up the night before. Didn't start actually getting sick until early evening and even then felt totally fine, just tossed up anything about 15 minutes after she ate it. The 4 other party (1 child, 3 adults) were fine. If you saw a little Bibbity Bobbity'd Merida hiked under her daddy's arm like a football running through the streets of MK toward the bathroom, you saw us!

My husband at the leftovers for both kids (DON'T JUDGE!) lol - just a place full of germs and this year has been crazy bad with illnesses.

My son and nephew had it 2 weeks ago in Disney. I'm a nurse and went on a research trip years ago when the Niro first came out, to discover why it was running rampant through cruise ships, so this is not foreign to me. However, I really wish it hadn't hit in Disney! When my son got it, I disinfected as though I was in an OR, it was a fully sterile field In the Beach club by the time I was done! My nephew contracted it 2 days later, so I'm thinking this strain has a slower incubation period than the one years ago (it was hours after exposure that people started with symptoms in 2001). All that being said, I think either A. Someone who stayed in the suite before us had it, my son and nephew shared a bed the night before my son was sick, and that's where the sick person had slept or B. my son picked it up somewhere in the park, because he's 4 and has to touch EVERYTHING, and he shared with his cousin. I was much more ridiculous about germ x and hand washing after that sleepless night, and no one else caught it!

My advice for travelers, Lysol wipe your plane seats, trays, seat belts, etc. scrub, and I mean scrub, before you eat. Don't rely on hand sanitizers, actually wash your hands with soap and water for at least as long as two "happy birthday" songs would take. And Lysol your hotel room, even going so far as to run pillows through the dryer if you have the option. I'm not messing around next trip, my family can call me crazy all they want, but I'm not losing another nights sleep and day in the park with a bug!

Agree with this too!

We Lysol'd EVERYTHING the second we got into the room and did it every single day we returned from the park. We washed our hands frequently and then sanitized afterwards for good measure.

Does anyone know what Disney's policy is about restricting sick food workers?

I would think they have a tight policy, if their record for their cruise line is similar to what they have on Disney land properties. The CDC tracks cruise ship outbreaks, and Disney only appeared once (2002):

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm

It makes me very leery of some other cruise lines. Some of them appear year after year!

I was there from 2/26 through yesterday, and I wasn't sick there, and haven't been sick since I got home.

A recommended product to use is Wet Ones. The Benzethonium Chloride (not sure about spelling) in them does kill the norovirus. I haven't been sick at Disney since I started carrying the individually packaged towelettes and using them every single time I'm going to eat or drink anything. I don't worry about what I touch during the day, because I'm keeping my hands away from my face. But you have to be consistent - all it takes is one time you forget and the germs have got you! I was there in the horrific norovirus outbreak in December a few years back and even with people literally getting sick all around me at the resorts and the parks, I stayed healthy.

Make sure you are using the correct wipes and cleaning agents if you bring your own along. Alcohol won't kill Norovirus.

What is a recommended product then, please?

Denned has it right: Lysol is better than alcohol-based wipes. It has a quaternary ammonia-based cleaning product. Bleach is better than that but most "Clorox wipes" actually have quats in them unless they say "with bleach". Norovirus is killed by heat so running the pillows through the dryer should work if you can get them hot enough for long enough. For hands, soap and water is your best protection against norovirus but alcohol-based hand gel is great for preventing colds and flu.

We Lysol'd EVERYTHING the second we got into the room and did it every single day we returned from the park. We washed our hands frequently and then sanitized afterwards for good measure.

Read the labels when you buy something.

Thanks! What a great idea!

No need for sarcasm. Read the labels. Posters had already recommended the appropriate products to use. Other brands with the same ingredients (listed on the labels) would also work.

So sorry you got sick. Just got back after being there 3/1 - 3/8 and felt ok all week.

No need for sarcasm. Read the labels. Posters had already recommended the appropriate products to use. Other brands with the same ingredients (listed on the labels) would also work.

Have you ever looked at the labels? Most say kills 99% of viruses and bacteria. They likely don't say 99% but not Norovirus. Telling somebody to read the label is just not helpful at all.

It is that time of year, after all. A lot of stomach bugs going around. Considering the amount of things thousands of people touch a day and then stick their hands in their mouths, this doesn't really shock me. After holding railings waiting in line, the interactive queues, the handle bars on the rides. Disney is infested with germs. I would imagine it is one of the easiest places to contract something.

Hand sanitizer only works so much. It's important to continuously wash your hands with soap and hot water.

My friend and I were at MK last Saturday (she was working, I was playing) and we both got tonsil/throat infections. We figured there was something going around the park.

dreamcruiser said:
What is a recommended product then, please?

Bleach is the only thing that kills noro. I got noro back in january here in ny. I had to go to the hospital because I was 5 weeks pregnant and I thought I was dying. It was the most horrible experience of my life! I was so scared to get it again in disney (2/21-2/28) but we did lysol the room and were careful with hand washing. Lysol doesnt kill noro but it's better than nothing. All was well.

OP so sorry you are all sick. I hope it passes soon. It takes a full 3 days for it to run its course for some.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter