Anyone else get sick this week at disney?

This thread makes me feel a little more normal. I use Lysol wipes from the plane, to the resort, at the parks...you name it...in addition to washing my hands and using hand sanitizer. There are some spots that really creep me out, such as Buffet Tongs and the Buzz Lightyear/TSMM guns. For those I adorn Germ Gloves!

This thread makes me feel a little more normal. I use Lysol wipes from the plane, to the resort, at the parks...you name it...in addition to washing my hands and using hand sanitizer. There are some spots that really creep me out, such as Buffet Tongs and the Buzz Lightyear/TSMM guns. For those I adorn Germ Gloves!

LOL if the family would wear these I would get them. I sanitize lightswitches, phones, etc at the resort - doorknobs, toilet handles, you name it! I am cleaning it....I feel more normal now! THANKS!

OP, hope you both feel better. Last month, back here in NY at home, I got a cold. I use hand sanitizer and do wash my hands a lot, but my skin's raw and sensitive.

FYI, for those reading this very old thread, Clorox makes a peroxide based cleaner that does kill norovirus and is available in wipes or spray. It's not cheap but it's available on amazon, a container of 155 wipes is $25.

Additionally, there is one colloidal silver spray that is reportedly newly approved for killing norovirus and MRSA, also available on amazon, but I'm a biochemist and I know peroxide works, so I will only recommend that.

I will not eat at any salad bar or buffet. Seeing the tongs that everyone touched laying in the food freaks me out. I also will only eat fries, cheese pizza or carmel apples at any fair or sports/event venue because I'm not convinced that it is sanitary...yeah I have issues....:rotfl2:

(I'm now afraid of the ketchup pumps because some one mentioned that everyone touches them and I never thought of that!!! :rotfl: )

Need to check out those Clorox wipes for sure!

I use the Clorox hand spray sanitizer that kills norovirus. There are several other brands that kill it as well. You can do an internet search and they should come up.

I don't use it when we go in the summer--we take our chances then since GI bugs are usually not that prevalent. However, when we travel over the winter, I do use it on occasion, such as before we eat, after we use the restroom and after a few grimy rides--in particular after touching the honey wall at Pooh. ;)

I only used hand sanitiser and washed my hands well after using the restroom and I was fine. We didn't even sanitise the hotel room.

It's a little hard to wash your hands properly in the public restrooms but not impossible. I wish they had hot or at least warm water.

I have to mention that where I work we share restrooms with the public. They actually had to go turn down the water temperature as people complained it was too hot, and they didn't want their kids to get their hands burned. It wasn't THAT hot, but now we have to wash with ice cold water.

Wouldn't surprise me if that is part of the problem at WDW with the lack of hot water.

I have to mention that where I work we share restrooms with the public. They actually had to go turn down the water temperature as people complained it was too hot, and they didn't want their kids to get their hands burned. It wasn't THAT hot, but now we have to wash with ice cold water.

Wouldn't surprise me if that is part of the problem at WDW with the lack of hot water.

Wow. That's ridiculous. Cold water doesn't feel as effective for cleaning as warm or hot.

DH contacted noro virus on RCCL 2012, also son and 2 teen grand sons...my hubby was very ill and in the ships sick bay getting iv's ...he was 70 at the time...my son and grandsons got iv's also and injections....they were quaranteened for 24 hours.....good bye Cozumel....
.they slept the entire day...
I did not feel that I saw adequate cleaning or wiping down of the ship or stateroom as I did on a previous Carnival cruise...
We sailed Jan3 on RCCL and I think the crew was lax and tired from the holiday celebrations..
Over 450 people were ill and there were about 2000 passengers on the cruise...I never got sick....thankfully...
Except maybe for a Disney cruise I will not sail again ...I will stick to land vacations...

Oh boy. I wish I hadn't just googled "norovirus" haha. Blech. So sorry you got sick! Seems there have been a LOT of sick people at Disney lately but I know there are a LOT of nasty bugs going around right now.

We leave in 2 weeks and we will be packing Lysol, Clorox wipes, GermX and and maybe a few hazmat suits!

*going to knock on wood now*

:confused3 the first time I started packing Clorox wipes and wiped down EVERYTHING in our room, door/dresser knobs, lamp switches, bathroom surfaces, TV remote, phone, really, everything I could think of, was the first time my daughter got a stomach bug :sad2: it was a bad one, lasting 3 days at least.
Now just about every trip (we go 2x a year) she gets an intestinal bug if varying degrees.
We also carry hand sanitizer.

My DS was sick Thursday night with what I think was Norovirus. Well, guess what I got at about 6:00pm last night? OMG - I haven't been that sick since I can't even remember. I felt like I was knocking on death's door. Feel better this AM, but for those that have had this at Disney - my sympathies. I can't imagine dealing with that in a hotel room.

I will definitely be bringing LOTS of anti-bacterial stuff along when we leave in 11 days! Does anyone know if we can get it again? Are there different strains of Norovirus?

I know exactly what you mean. First you're afraid you'll die, then you're afraid you won't!

I caught the 24 hour bug at home last month (and then a cold a week later).
All I could think about in my misery was that I was SO GRATEFUL I was at home
and not at Disney, or traveling to/from! I seem to get a cold about half the time
I'm vacationing at Disney, so I've dealt with that often enough.
I've learned to pack lots of cold meds and "good" tissues, but can't imagine having the stomach virus in a hotel.... :(

My DS4 and I got sick yesterday with probably norovirus after having been at disney for four days. He and I shared most of our foods all week and activities and we got sick within an hour or so of each other. My mom and sister are fine. This makes me think maybe we got it from food. Anyone else get sick? I'm trying to narrow down the potential causes. We missed our last park day, lost a bunch of dining credits, and they wouldn't let us have a late check out which felt decidedly un-disney.

op-- so sorry you got sick on your trip! Quick question-- did you have trip insurance? I got food poisoning (I only KNOW it was food poisoning because the nurse checking me in said-- did you eat at Pinocchio Haus? yes, and did you eat the chicken salad- check!"

Anyhow.. I did end up at the emergency room, but wanted to tell you-- the trip insurance covered my last day etc. not sure if you need the documentation to the hospital or not... but wanted to let you know just in case.

My DD and DH got rotavirus on our 2006. They got it when we got home..but it was the worst! DD was in the hospital ;(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter