Anyone Else Fed up With Their College?

I don't play 'musical college' if I did I have left here after my first semester. Yes I understand that college is supposed to suck I mean it's not preschool and sitting and coloring all day. But I think the problem at least for me are the lack of proper instructors. And the administration. At my school it is true chaos and that goedness I am getting out of there. They have done so many wrongs to me. 2 weeks ago for instance someone messed up (not the first time either) and deleted everyone from their classes on the main server. So as of that no one was registered and going to get credit. And the school was going to keep it all a secret but the teachers got mad and let it get round.

So in a short effect because it's 2am and I can't keep my eyes open.... We all know that college sucks but and I can only speak for myself but I don't party and goof off. And what is my reward getting the run around, sucky teachers that are in no way preparing me for my higher education, having to breathe in cigarette smoke on a supposedly smoke free champus just to get to class, just to name a few things. And I think we're all in this topic just to commiserate together.

vhoffman said:
hi,
I just dropped in on this board. I'm 51 years old, so I certainly don't belong on this board, except by experience. I have 2 Bachelors and an MBA. Listen up, everyone--you're not supposed to be "happy" at college. You're there to get the degree and get on with life! College is bull$hit! Its the same wherever you go! It's not there to make you happy! Its a bunch of crap!!!!!!!!!!

However, the degree is what matters! Stick with it. Don't go transferring around and lose credits, etc. Just get through it! Once you get the degree you have the means to a career, better life, etc. I know how you feel, that your college experience isn't what you expected it to be. It never is. Its just something to be endured. Believe me, they're all about the same. Hang in there and just get through. It won't last forever. Just don't go playing musical schools hoping to find the ideal situation, because it doesn't exist.

I really feel for all you college kids out there. Been there, done that. But life isn't a party. Please, just realize its a game, play it for what its worth, hang in there and get your degree. Good luck to all of you!

I know a lot of kids who love their college experience, I know the school I will be transferring to is the one I want. I got that feeling the moment I set foot on that campus. I just paid $30,000 for a year that I really didn't get anything out of. Why stay when it will cost less to go to a school I am dying to go to? But college is not their to suck and make you miserable, my brother LOVED OSU and never wanted to graduate, and my new college will be like that for me. :sunny: I am sorry for anyone who goes through college hating it, it is not a fun way to spend 4 or more years of your life. :sad2:

My post wasn't meant as a criticism or attack on anyone, if it came across that way I do apologize. I just wanted to give the perspective of someone who's "been there done that". All colleges are a disappointment compared to the expectations first-time students have. In looking back I can't believe the incredible BS I put up with. I just hate to see young adults beating themselves up because they feel college isn't the experience they hoped it would be.

I'm on the other side now, a parent trying to figure out how to send 2 kids to college at the same time (twins!). Trying to figure out how to pay for it and get a quality education for both of them keeps me awake at night! I do want my kids to be happy while at school but the most important thing is to get through and go on with life. Of course, its an individual decision as to whether the school you're at is shortchanging you and a strategic move to change schools, majors, etc. I remember my senior year at college I was so depressed with the BS I wanted to quit. I called my father and his advice was to just stick it out, don't worry if I got all D's, just pass and lock in the degree. I remember how hard it was just to go through the motions. I quit going to a chemistry class, I was so lost it didn't matter if I was there or not. I managed to guess my way through the multiple choice final and actually got a C in the course--must have been a typo! :rotfl2:

Face it--there is no such thing as quality education out there. I agree the courses are BS, the teachers are a joke. I had many classes where the lectures and book seemed to belong to different worlds. I actually asked once if I was in the right room for a final exam--the questions bore little resemblence to the material. Apparently the final was something the instuctor just used year after year (slight variations) and his lectures were more a forum for his political views with a captive audience (it was a history class). I found out later that copies of the final were floating around and those lucky enough to obtain one were the ones passing the exams with flying colors. People like me who never missed a class, took extensive notes, thoroughly read and re-read each assigned chapter and had it practically memorized, barely squeaked by. Its all crap, but the schools get away with it!

Just realize its a game and the sole reason to be there is to get the diploma and get out. Good luck to all of you! :grouphug:

Well when I get back I hope to feel better about college. I think I'm just burnt out at the moment to which doesn't help. I just think that it's a disgrace that certain people are allowed to make or break a student based on their lack of skill at teaching. I look forward to being at a university upon my return from CP where the football coach isn't your math teacher because he needed to teach something to coach and the teachers have a mutual respect for the school and the students that are the reason they have employment. I seriously understand after being in college why this country is so far lagging behind the others in terms of education. I hear so much about people who have a great college life without partying but because they were truly learning something and it was enjoyable in the process. I wish to go to one of those mythical places upon my return from my year long vacation to WDW. And I know unfortunately there are going to be college students going down there to party but from my understanding unlike usual colleges Disney tells them where they can take their partying. :rolleyes1

MissSpooky said:
Well when I get back I hope to feel better about college. I think I'm just burnt out at the moment to which doesn't help. I just think that it's a disgrace that certain people are allowed to make or break a student based on their lack of skill at teaching. I look forward to being at a university upon my return from CP where the football coach isn't your math teacher because he needed to teach something to coach and the teachers have a mutual respect for the school and the students that are the reason they have employment. I seriously understand after being in college why this country is so far lagging behind the others in terms of education. I hear so much about people who have a great college life without partying but because they were truly learning something and it was enjoyable in the process. I wish to go to one of those mythical places upon my return from my year long vacation to WDW. And I know unfortunately there are going to be college students going down there to party but from my understanding unlike usual colleges Disney tells them where they can take their partying. :rolleyes1

Sorry for being OT, but how long are you down there for the CP? :goodvibes

Well right now I signed up for spring advantage which is jan-aug. I'm seriously thinking about extending though to be there the max which is a complete year. I figure if I'm going that far and I want Disney as a career it would be more beneficial. And who knows I might like it so much I may transfer to UCF. I could have done the regular program which is just a few months like a usual semester but I think you don't get as much out of it. There aren't too many people doing the advantage so I guess it really is an advantage. Just checked the mail and no packet. I think the sit in is on!

MissSpooky said:
Well right now I signed up for spring advantage which is jan-aug. I'm seriously thinking about extending though to be there the max which is a complete year. I figure if I'm going that far and I want Disney as a career it would be more beneficial. And who knows I might like it so much I may transfer to UCF. I could have done the regular program which is just a few months like a usual semester but I think you don't get as much out of it. There aren't too many people doing the advantage so I guess it really is an advantage. Just checked the mail and no packet. I think the sit in is on!

*sitting* :thumbsup2 Its the inner pirate of me coming out pirate:

I have read all the above posts and have to say that transfer to a school that you realy want to go to. Its better to be somewhere you like then miserable somewhere you hate. The only thing is this make sure your credits transfer. i just transfered and I lost 20 credits which is more than a whole semester. And now I am taking another semester off to do the CP. So as long as they take your credits than I say go for it.

*sitting at my camp at the local post office*

Yeah about the whole transfering thing. I see no problem with it as long as things transfer. When I schedule my classes I only do the ones that will get me that much closer to grad and will transfer. It's made for some tough courses but it's saving that much more time in the long run and money after I get to my university. I would rather be happy and getting closer to my goals than being miserable and putting up with crap. My community college is going to be so happy when I leave because I have filed so many complaints and fought so many decisions. It helps when you have someone that knows all the ropes and thank goodness I have that in my G'ma. She has been working in higher education for over 25 years now and know all the ins and outs. She is working right now on making sure I can get all the credit I can from CP. My current school is telling me it's a waste of time. I think it's jealousy.

I'm hoping while on CP I pin down the exact thing I want to do. Right now entertainment is such a broad major I need to get more specific. Hopefully I discover it while playing in FL. princess:

Well the sit has ended I got my packet on Tues and I got operations! I wish it were entertainment but there's always a next time. Now I get to make all the big plans. I need to figure out what school I'll be going to when I get back too. Very scary thoughts!

MissSpooky said:
Well the sit has ended I got my packet on Tues and I got operations! I wish it were entertainment but there's always a next time. Now I get to make all the big plans. I need to figure out what school I'll be going to when I get back too. Very scary thoughts!

I wish you luck on your big decisions and have fun in FL... like you wouldn't :lmao: pirate:

My school was way different than I thought it would be. I originally went to the University of Evansville because I thought I'd love the smallness of it and the closeness that everyone seemed to feel. But it was way too small. Small is good, but one block squared is way too much. I sort of felt smothered because it was so small.

However, the school IS good, don't get me wrong, I'd recommend it to anyone. It's just not good for me. I transferred to a nearby campus (University of Southern Indiana) and love it. The classes are easier so I feel a thousand times less stressed and I feel like I actually belong there. The campus is also a LOT bigger, but it's still smallish so I get a lot of the perks of the old one (small classes, good teacher/student relationships) without feeling like I'm living in this little bubble.

pIrish said:
My school was way different than I thought it would be. I originally went to the University of Evansville because I thought I'd love the smallness of it and the closeness that everyone seemed to feel. But it was way too small. Small is good, but one block squared is way too much. I sort of felt smothered because it was so small.

However, the school IS good, don't get me wrong, I'd recommend it to anyone. It's just not good for me. I transferred to a nearby campus (University of Southern Indiana) and love it. The classes are easier so I feel a thousand times less stressed and I feel like I actually belong there. The campus is also a LOT bigger, but it's still smallish so I get a lot of the perks of the old one (small classes, good teacher/student relationships) without feeling like I'm living in this little bubble.

Glad to hear you love your new school :thumbsup2 :sunny: I can't wait til I get to mine :banana:

pIrish said:

I think the enviromnent and stuff like that makes a huge diff. My school with all the stress that I'm happy to be finally getting away from has really made me dislike school and even questioning going on to a higer degree as I've always planned. I think it should be a crime to do most of the things they do to the students. And then they complain because their transfer rate is less than 5%!

I HATE my school. I didn't really have a choice in going here, either. My family is basically out of luck with helping me in college, and this school is completely free, so I went. Oof. I do like my classes, though. I love my professors! I just hate the party atmosphere. If one more student tells my fiance and I that we're wasting our college years by doing "stupid things" like working our @$$3$ off to pay for a wedding or actually focusing on classes, I'll hit them.

Sorry. That was mean. **sheepishly waves a white flag**

I'm just not a party person. Neither is my fiance. We don't drink, we actually like to study, hell, our opinion of a good date is cuddling in our apartment watching Disney movies. If anything, I want to STAY in college...if the rest of the bimbos drop...which isn't happening anytime soon...

W00t for graduating a year in advance. :-)

As for musical schools, my fiance went to school here for one semester, then at his home state for one semester, and returned after being rejected by every other decent film/theatre program in teh country. :-/. Do what you have to so you're not miserable, but do at least get those credits transferred.

PipesofLirael said:
I HATE my school. I didn't really have a choice in going here, either. My family is basically out of luck with helping me in college, and this school is completely free, so I went. Oof. I do like my classes, though. I love my professors! I just hate the party atmosphere. If one more student tells my fiance and I that we're wasting our college years by doing "stupid things" like working our @$$3$ off to pay for a wedding or actually focusing on classes, I'll hit them.

Sorry. That was mean. **sheepishly waves a white flag**

I'm just not a party person. Neither is my fiance. We don't drink, we actually like to study, hell, our opinion of a good date is cuddling in our apartment watching Disney movies. If anything, I want to STAY in college...if the rest of the bimbos drop...which isn't happening anytime soon...

W00t for graduating a year in advance. :-)

As for musical schools, my fiance went to school here for one semester, then at his home state for one semester, and returned after being rejected by every other decent film/theatre program in teh country. :-/. Do what you have to so you're not miserable, but do at least get those credits transferred.

Sounds like you are in the exact same boat as me. I hate to waste my time partying. Everyone at my school just shows up whenever so they don't get dropped and make their parents happy. It just makes it harder for the rest of us and they blatently (s/p?) cheat in class. I actually turned a few of them in it's always the jocks of course and nothing happened. I went to the dean of instruction and she said it would be handled. The teacher though was a strong supporter of the team so of course I think he covered for them. I got a C and passed when I think I might have actually gotten a worse grade unless I really did good on my final. I think it was a rouse to get me to drop it. I just wish the ones that didn't wanna be there would just leave and make it easier for the rest of us. I couldn't get into a class because it was full this semester and then 3 weeks into the class it was down to only 20 people. It irks me! Oh well I really should be doing all the projects I have due this week. Finals are next week for me and then it's off to Disney College a month later! :Pinkbounc

MissSpooky said:
Sounds like you are in the exact same boat as me. I hate to waste my time partying. Everyone at my school just shows up whenever so they don't get dropped and make their parents happy. It just makes it harder for the rest of us and they blatently (s/p?) cheat in class. I actually turned a few of them in it's always the jocks of course and nothing happened. I went to the dean of instruction and she said it would be handled. The teacher though was a strong supporter of the team so of course I think he covered for them. I got a C and passed when I think I might have actually gotten a worse grade unless I really did good on my final. I think it was a rouse to get me to drop it. I just wish the ones that didn't wanna be there would just leave and make it easier for the rest of us. I couldn't get into a class because it was full this semester and then 3 weeks into the class it was down to only 20 people. It irks me! Oh well I really should be doing all the projects I have due this week. Finals are next week for me and then it's off to Disney College a month later! :Pinkbounc

YAY...Disney College!!! I'll get there eventually :woohoo:

CaptainJackObsessed said:
YAY...Disney College!!! I'll get there eventually :woohoo:
You so have to do it. Of course it's all based on what I've heard since I'm not there yet but all the cool Disney kids are doing it! :thumbsup2

i'm only a freshman in college and i am coming near the end of my first semester. it was really hard to get adjusted to. i missed high school and my friends... A LOT. i was sad to be there everyday. but then i FINALLY made some friends and everything is a lot better now. the only thing i hate is GE. what the heck why am i wasting my time taking GE classes that have NOTHING to do with my major. but other than that i love my school and now have more school spirit. i am super excited for next semester cuz i have classes that have to do with my major unlike this semester where i had all GE classes. AND i am going to move out and start the college program and DLR :teeth: woo fall 2006 semester wasn't that great but i am so looking forward to the spring 2007 semester. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter