Anyone concerned about the "mosquito" talk?

The layperson is not equipped to analyze the complex data that would go into mosquito migration or congenital viral infections or the like. There are facts and there are opinions. Opine all you like on Donald v. Hilary. But providing misinformed "opinions" on scientific matters is truly out of line and dangerous.
Lol. What makes you so sure I'm a layperson? But either way, I disagree. On any matter, "scientific" or not, one should always research and form educated opinions. To not do so is what is (to use your word) dangerous.

I bring repellent wipes. That's sufficient.

Of course if I got pregnant, it would be a miracle anyway and Zika would be the least of my biological problems. :-)

We went to Costa Rica in April and brought picardin mosquito repellant plus some insect-repellant clothing (ExOfficio is a good brand and there are some online stores that carry children's clothing). My DH and I are done having children and my DS is only 8, so no worries there. If concerned, there are ways to take precautions. IMHO, everyone needs to decide their own comfort level and choose their travel plans accordingly. I, personally, would be concerned if I were planning on having children anytime soon.

New scientific studies are out this week suggesting that Zika infection is a cause of microcephaly and other birth defects, but may not be the sole reason for the alarming increase in cases.
I suggest keeping up on the current research, and if you live in the US you are probably no more likely to get bitten in WDW than you are in your home state, but make informed choices and wear the correct repellant if you so choose.

I too am a feasting ground for mosquitoes and to be honest, the only time I was ever bitten in Disney to my knowledge was when I stayed at CBR and stupidly used floral-scented shaving cream. Of course they exist on property I'm sure but shockingly I have never been a meal in all my trips besides that one. I do pack repellent now, only because I scratch myself so terribly that it scars (and I still have scars from that CBR trip! My fault though because I scratched the bites like a woman possessed). I would definitely take spray if I were you, but otherwise, I wouldn't worry much. I don't believe there's been a case that's been contracted in the US yet - everyone who has Zika here has apparently obtained it while traveling outside the country and then returned home. Even if you've only ever been bitten there once, I would have the spray on hand just in case, because for me, a body full of mosquito bites would make a trip miserable! As for Zika, I personally wouldn't worry about it too much unless something major changes between now and your trip.

All this "don't go to Florida because of Zika" makes me wonder what every pregnant woman in Florida is thinking about now. Seems a bit of an overreaction to me.

We live in Georgia and have a friend whose daughter-in-law, who lives up north somewhere is pregnant. She refused to go out of the house for her last three months just because of the "threat". My daughter-in-law, who lives in Maryland, just delivered a healthy third grandchild for us a month ago. My daughter-in-law just went about her normal life during her pregnancy. So, I think it's more the individual thoughts than the reality.

As for myself and my husband, we cannot have any more children so it's not a factor for us but we're going this Friday to Disney World and if we get bit, we get bit. Zika is not a killer.

I am 25-weeks pregnant and was there last week. The only time I got bit was at Chip & Dale's campfire at the Wilderness and I wasn't concerned. I did bring bug spray with me. I didn't see a mosquito really anywhere else.

I wasn't concerned. The only signage I remember seeing was at the airports and they highlighed mostly flying out of the country.

I am not concerned. I am past the age where pregnancy is a concern (and should be impossible, unless my doctor messed something up). My daughter is a college student, and she is also unconcerned as she has no intentions of becoming pregnant anytime soon.

Here's a real question though: if a women WERE pregnant, and possibly exposed, wouldn't there be prenatal testing available to let her know the possibility of having a baby with microcephaly?? I'd imagine that if the spread of Zika continues and becomes the major concern here that it currently is in Brazil, we'd do prenatal testing and prepare women to make the informed choices about all available options in case her child does have this birth defect.

I am not concerned. I am past the age where pregnancy is a concern (and should be impossible, unless my doctor messed something up). My daughter is a college student, and she is also unconcerned as she has no intentions of becoming pregnant anytime soon.

Here's a real question though: if a women WERE pregnant, and possibly exposed, wouldn't there be prenatal testing available to let her know the possibility of having a baby with microcephaly?? I'd imagine that if the spread of Zika continues and becomes the major concern here that it currently is in Brazil, we'd do prenatal testing and prepare women to make the informed choices about all available options in case her child does have this birth defect.

They absolutely have the resources to do Zika testing - in fact, at my latest prenatal appointment, my doctor told me that they have a Zika test available for pregnant women who have recently traveled to affected countries, but since neither my husband nor I have traveled to any of the transmission zones, we are not at risk, and thus have no need to be tested. If you contract Zika, it is not guaranteed that your baby will develop microcephaly, but they are offering the test to women who have traveled to, or women with partners who have traveled to affected countries so that the can better monitor their fetuses for microcephaly.

Just returned from a cruise in the Caribbean (and not talking about POTC) including stops at islands where Zika is present and a concern. We were provided plenty of information before and during trip about the issue and risks and advice on how to prepare - frankly when traveling anywhere tropical including Florida and the Caribbean mosquitos should always be a concern as they carry a number of serious diseases, so repellent and covering up are always good ideas. Also I did not get any sense that travelers, including those who may become pregnant, were overly concerned. At some point we all assume risks and need to evaluate potential for health risks, frankly I would be more concerned about riding in car to and from the airport, or the crazy taxi or bus drivers in some of those island countries before any bugs!!!

We were eaten alive on our last trip to POFQ while sitting outside of the food court. At the time we had forgotten to spray on our mosquito repellent. We will not be forgetting on our upcoming trip. That being said, if I were pregnant I would not go. Better safe than sorry.

We did take bug spray this trip based on reports of more bug bites than in the past but we never used it or got bitten. We were at SSR. Btw, just heard on the news a few minutes ago that there is a first reported case of the Zika virus in FL.

We were eaten alive on our last trip to POFQ while sitting outside of the food court. At the time we had forgotten to spray on our mosquito repellent. We will not be forgetting on our upcoming trip. That being said, if I were pregnant I would not go. Better safe than sorry.

That surprises me as my husband is a magnet for mosquitos and has never gotten bitten at Disney World, even at French Quarter. There are many flying bugs that bite so maybe it wasn't a mosquito? Just asking if the typical bite marks were visible and it was a mosquito. I usually get the "no-see-ums" or gnats.

Lol. What makes you so sure I'm a layperson? But either way, I disagree. On any matter, "scientific" or not, one should always research and form educated opinions. To not do so is what is (to use your word) dangerous.

Depends what a person considers "research" and an "educated opinion." If someone thinks that reading online postings and chat rooms is research, she is very likely to find that her "research" is full of faulty information.

A lot of people who don't immunize their children do so because of their "research."

Stayed at SSR 2 years ago and was bitten several times while sitting outside, close to vegetation. If pregnant I would certainly be concerned and take precautions.

Depends what a person considers "research" and an "educated opinion." If someone thinks that reading online postings and chat rooms is research, she is very likely to find that her "research" is full of faulty information.

A lot of people who don't immunize their children do so because of their "research."
Well, I would think the fact that quality research is important goes without saying. I feel the same way about people being afraid to travel based solely on CNN's headlines, or whatnot.

This isn't the place for this conversation, but I know quite a few people who don't vaccinate or do an alternate schedule. I can assure you they are more educated than most physicians about the matter. To assume that they are unarmed with solid facts is wrong. Some may be, but not most.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter