Any word on Matterhorn reopening?

Carl4628

Mouseketeer
Just wondering if anyone has heard anything regarding a reopening date. I know that the website TBD.

All they have said so far is fall 2018

From the disneyland website "Matterhorn Bobsleds is currently closed for refurbishment, with a planned reopening in Fall 2018. Check back here for updates."

Has anybody found out what they are doing to it? I know it is scheduled to be down the week I will be there (Sep. 17-22), so I doubt it comes back before then. But is there any hope?

I called to book my Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour last night and asked about it and was told to expect it to open up sometime in November. We'll be there from Sept. 12-17th, but I figured even if it was a short term refurb we would miss it.

Has anybody found out what they are doing to it? I know it is scheduled to be down the week I will be there (Sep. 17-22), so I doubt it comes back before then. But is there any hope?
I've heard from a couple sources, one a cast member (NOT working on it so I guess we shouldn't take it as gospel) that it's closed to do queue modifications. Part of a park-wide push to improve queues before the onslaught of Galaxy's Edge opening.
I keep looking to the various vloggers hoping someone will try and get some shots of what the progress is looking like but nobody seems to be taking note of it at all.
I'm trying to keep my hopes from latching onto an opening before my trip but it's so hard. My DD hated her first ride but after a cast member convinced her that Harry the Yetti isn't actually scary, he's just protecting his home she wanted to ride again and spent the whole time growling with and saying hi to Harry. She has been heard to claim it's her favorite ride since then. Now if I can get someone to convince her that the Ghost in Ghost Galaxy is friendly too we'll be golden, well, not quite, she loves Rocket, Groot, Gamora, Drax, and Starlord but that's nowhere near enough to get her on GotG again.

I wanted to bump this back to page one to see if anyone has heard anything new? FreshBaked seems to believe the refurb will be very minor and not take long, he also believes it is a que modification

I feel like Matterhorn goes down for a few months every year at this point. Maybe it's because it was the first steel roller coasters ever made and the track is so old. I would imagine there's a lot of required upkeep and maintenance since it's not like they can just go in and replace the track with new. I would imagine some queue improvement, too, as single rider and maxpass were sharing part of a line for a while, which didn't feel very organized. But, queue improvement doesn't take that many months. There's got to be a little more to it than that.

Years ago they did a major refurb. that many thought would fix the bone jarring track and make it smooth. No such luck. Every refurb. the same hope but never happens!

Came back from a trip this last weekend and it sure seemed like they were working on the lines. They have a large section blocked off, significantly larger than any previous refurb. I personally don't mind the bouncy track. It's part of the charm. Kind of like the braking on Goofy's Sky School.

I went the first weekend of October- view from the monorail showed lots of scaffolding by all of the openings, and several extension cords, so it must be a little more than line-routing- but that was happening too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter