Any way to set budget/cap in onboard account?

peacefrogdog

DIS Veteran
Wondering if there is a way to set a limit on our onboard account, for drinks specifically?

I like the idea of purchasing a drink package, but we are not big drinkers and I feel that we would need to work in order to have a pre-paid package pay off. However I also like the idea of being able to pay ahead to try different drinks.

Similar to how some people load up a Disney gift card with a set amount as opposed to purchasing the Disney Dining Plan, has anyone found a way to to the equivalent on a Royal Caribbean cruise? For example is there a way to charge drinks to a preset on-board credit allocated to drinks?

I realize I could also put down on board credit, but would like if possible to find a way to separate drink charges from other charges to the account.

no. You have to keep track yourself using the menu on the TV or going down to guest services and printing out your folio.

all non refundable credit is used first, followed by refundable credit, but the balance is dictated by all your charges in the order in which they are incurred.

MAYBE by the third or 4th day they will offer a punch card which basically gives you 10 drinks at a discount. This is not offered all the time.

the higher drink package also includes bottled water, specialty coffee and most other non alcoholic drinks like smoothies, fresh OJ and IIRC, shakes from Jonny Rockets now.

How long is your cruise? I think that with a shorter (3-5 night) length, doing the 5 or so drinks a day to "make back your money" is doable without making you sick of drinking.

With a longer length I know I wouldn't be able to do it.

To your original point you really do have to monitor how much you spend. With the app it's a bit easier but still you need to take a look.

If you don't setup a credit card on your account (or if you think you did, but it wasn't setup correctly) then RCL will cut you off at $500 until you stop by the desk to pay down your balance. However, it is a bit embarrassing when you go to buy something and you can't. I was surprised at how many people pay their accounts in cash at the desk every night! I ended up having issues with cancelled excursions and credits and spent several evening trying to sort it all out, along with getting my credit card linked correctly. I believe you can also see your charges from the app (it has been awhile since I've looked at it). If you pre-pay gratuities/excursions then you should be able to keep track of the other charges easily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter