Any tips on getting a deal on a Direct TV HD DVR receiver upgrade?

I got 2 HD DVR's - one for free and another for $99. I rec'd them 2 months ago BUT how I got them was interesting. I called to downgrade service they told me some bs about how I was such a great customer... blah blah blah... they wanted to keep happy. I accepted it.. then I called back a few weeks later and still downgraded..lol I needed another HD DVR so I can record MY shows!

Be persistant, though. That approach works!

I have better news to report today. DH called this time and he was able to get $100 off the HD DVR (yes, that is what we need -- not just a regular DVR) so it will be $99 instead of $199. We have to pay the $199 and will get a $100 credit once it is installed by Direct TV which will pay for the first two months of our bill (close to that, anyway). They will do the install for free which is scheduled a week from Mlonday. Woo hoo! DH said he didn't have to threaten to leave at all. He just said that the DVR we have now never worked right (very hard to change channels iwth the remote and slow as molasses when using the remote) and that he'd just like to upgrade to the
HD. The guy offered the deal of the $100 off without DH even asking. Go figure. I had to threaten to leave and they could've cared less. Well, at least it is done.

Thanks for the tips. Now we have can put that $100 in our Diney savings for this summer. Yeah!

Cool. Glad to hear you got a good deal.

To the person that got a free HD DVR and another for $99, wow. That's awesome. Do they charge an extra $10 a month for the second DVR tho?

Just got my upgrade this week...got the HD_DVR and 3 months of movie channels free...had to pay 19.95 for shipping but otherwise all for free. I just printed off competitors offers and said I was going to switch. We have been customers for 13 yrs so they were happy to meet the offers.

We were told it would cost too.

I got out our Sunday paper and called back and said, "We have been customers with you for 8 years. How is it that a new customer gets great deals but long term customers get nothing?" I was transferred to another agent and offered the same deal as a new customer.

We ended up going to cable 4 weeks ago though because Directv came out and realized they can't give us HD because of our trees.

Dawn

All you need to do is call and be polite and ask if they have any deals for the loyal customers. Then if that does not work call back again and mention that you are thinking about changing to cable/ fios/ or dish. then you will probably get something we got 5 dollars off for 3 months and free and service for 6 months when this runs out call again and see what they will do for you. always be polite and mention you loyalty to them when telling them you arte going to leave them it always gets you something. one person I know got free premium channel upgrade for 6 months. allthey paid was the 29 dollaras and got all the channels.

:dance3: I ordered Direct TV from my phone company around February 1, 2009. It was installed with a standard receiver on the 19th. I called on the 23rd and asked why the regular box when there are offers out there for install with free HD DVR - and that no one from Direct TV ever called to confirm what I really ordered OR if maybe I wanted to upgrade..........
They said "awww, if your new receiver wouldn't have been activated we could do something but it's too late".
They conceded, after me arguing that I'm the customer and if I knew what I wanted I would be working for Direct TV, to give me a new receiver at which time the woman did ask if "you upgrade to the Choice xx package we can give you a free HD DVR receiver" and I said of course, sure.
They delivered and installed and activated (NEVER let them activate your receiver until you call then to make sure you have what you ordered) a regular old HD receiver.
I called, asked them "why would I have upgraded to Choice XXX and not gotten an HD DVR receiver when I have an offer right in front of my face, that came in the mail yesterday for NEW customers, which I am even though it's only been 13 days and both receivers were wrong?" to which they replied "Sorry, but the receiver has been activated and there's nothing we can do, but you can pay us $150.00 for a new one".
I've cancelled my account, as of today, my early cancellation fee of $480.00 will be billed to me in the next couple of weeks.
I will go to court and fight this as I didn't get what I wanted and it's only been 13 days of new service and if I'm not happy I shouldn't have to pay $480.00.
DISH has a program where I pay $99.00 for installation and $10.00 month more for service with NO, yep NO committment!
It's so true: Buyer Beware.
They'll get you coming.................AND going.

Cancellation fee with Direct TV is like $480.00 for two years but they pro-rate it so if you've used 12 months that amount is deducted from the final bill. I've had Direct TV for 13 days - I guess my early cancellation fee is the full $480.00.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter