Any tips for california adventure?

FLCA026

Mouseketeer
Do you have any special tips about this park?
First place to go when we get there. Food? What’s good?

have been reading about the rides and attractions and trying to Plan. Thanks

Avengers Campus has changed everything. Used to, you rope dropped for Radiator Springs Racers. Then Guardians of the Galaxy showed up and gave us a new "first" target. Now with the Spiderman ride and weird reservation system, it's all up in the air.

As for food, I always go to Pacific Wharf. I love the clam chowder in a bread bowl. But they also have a good Mexican place at Cocina Cucamonga in the same area. Also there in that spot is the Lucky Fortune Cookery for Chinese. For food with a view, head over to Flo's V8. They used to have interesting food, but I think it's pretty ordinary now. But the atmosphere is cool. Smokejumbers Grill has some interesting items, but it's a pretty ordinary quick service area.

As for sit-down dining, I'm not a fan of anything they have there. Carthay Circle is their premier place. It has great ambiance, but the food there is so "rich" that I just don't like it.

Avengers Campus has changed everything. Used to, you rope dropped for Radiator Springs Racers. Then Guardians of the Galaxy showed up and gave us a new "first" target. Now with the Spiderman ride and weird reservation system, it's all up in the air.

As for food, I always go to Pacific Wharf. I love the clam chowder in a bread bowl. But they also have a good Mexican place at Cocina Cucamonga in the same area. Also there in that spot is the Lucky Fortune Cookery for Chinese. For food with a view, head over to Flo's V8. They used to have interesting food, but I think it's pretty ordinary now. But the atmosphere is cool. Smokejumbers Grill has some interesting items, but it's a pretty ordinary quick service area.

As for sit-down dining, I'm not a fan of anything they have there. Carthay Circle is their premier place. It has great ambiance, but the food there is so "rich" that I just don't like it.

Thank you! I’m trying to read about all the rides And figure out a plan.

FYI what I've heard is no bread bowls for now - Boudin Bakery is closed so they're providing soup in bowls with a side of bread.

Pacific Wharf has lots of good food options. And Margaritas. The salads at Boudin are good too. I’m going to check out the new falafel at the Shwarma cart.

I love CarsLand. It's small, but totally immersive. You really feel like you're in the movie. Flo's V8 is a fun place to eat. Jack Jack's cookies are really good.

I know that depending on how much time you have, this may be something you skip, but if you have the time the stuff in the Disney Animation Building is wonderful. Turtle Talk with Crush seems like a gimick, but it's a total "wow" experience for me. The Sorcerer’s Workshop has a room filled with early animation techniques that are interactive and something I enjoy doing. If nothing else, it's a place to escape the heat.

Are you looking for reccomendations on rides, or you pretty much know what you want to ride and are trying to figure out the best way to do them?

I love CarsLand. It's small, but totally immersive. You really feel like you're in the movie. Flo's V8 is a fun place to eat. Jack Jack's cookies are really good.

I know that depending on how much time you have, this may be something you skip, but if you have the time the stuff in the Disney Animation Building is wonderful. Turtle Talk with Crush seems like a gimick, but it's a total "wow" experience for me. The Sorcerer’s Workshop has a room filled with early animation techniques that are interactive and something I enjoy doing. If nothing else, it's a place to escape the heat.

Are you looking for reccomendations on rides, or you pretty much know what you want to ride and are trying to figure out the best way to do them?

I’ll take any recommendations. I am doing some reading about the rides etc.
This is all new to me. I have touring plans and I thought maybe I would use that for help to get around.

Thank you for this. I didn’t know about the animation building.

Last edited:
For a fun treat, The Clarabelle's on Buena Vista Street has custom chocolate-dipped ice-cream bars. You pick your flavor, and your topping.

These are my favorite rides in no particular order:
  • Monsters, Inc. Mike & Sully to the Rescue
  • Little Mermaid: Ariel’s Undersea Adventure
  • Toy Story Midway Mania
  • Mickey PhilharMagic (dated but enjoyable. If pressed for time, you can skip this).
  • Radiator Springs Racers (if you are willing to ride this twice, riding it during the daytime and after dark are two very different experiences and both are enjoyable)
  • Soarin' (It is usually the worldwide version but if there is a special event you may get the original California version which I vastly prefer).
This may or may not appeal: Off the Page and Kick's Knacks have artists who do custom sketches of characters. There is a large book that you look through. You select the sketch, confer with the artist about colors, and hours later your custom sketch is ready for pick-up. They are expensive, so it would be a splurge, but they are unique and if you want some Disney art for your home, this is a great way to do it.

I’ll take any recommendations. I am doing some reading about the rides etc.

Thank you for this. I didn’t know about the animation building.

Our family loves the Animation Academy in that building, where a cast member walks you through drawing a disney character. They make it super easy, and it's a great memento to take home. It's a different character with shows on the half hour. We usually stop by in the morning and take a picture of the schedule so we can target the ones we want to draw. I completely lack artistic ability, but the sketches come out great if you just follow their instructions.

For a fun treat, The Clarabelle's on Buena Vista Street has custom chocolate-dipped ice-cream bars. You pick your flavor, and your topping.

These are my favorite rides in no particular order:
  • Monsters, Inc. Mike & Sully to the Rescue
  • Little Mermaid: Ariel’s Undersea Adventure
  • Toy Story Midway Mania
  • Mickey PhilharMagic (dated but enjoyable. If pressed for time, you can skip this).
  • Radiator Springs Racers (if you are willing to ride this twice, riding it during the daytime and after dark are two very different experiences and both are enjoyable)
  • Soarin' (It is usually the worldwide version but if there is a special event you may get the original California version which I vastly prefer).
This may or may not appeal: Off the Page and Kick's Knacks have artists who do custom sketches of characters. There is a large book that you look through. You select the sketch, confer with the artist about colors, and hours later your custom sketch is ready for pick-up. They are expensive, so it would be a splurge, but they are unique and if you want some Disney art for your home, this is a great way to do it.
Thanks for the suggestions!

I have not heard if it has returned since the Parks reopened. But, there was/is a Carsland lighting show near sunset, each night. In the past, you can ask at the entrance to Mater's Juknyard Jamboree, and they have the lighting times inside the door of the CM supply box. But if not, you can search for the current sunset time in Anaheim and plan to be there just before. It's a cute little moment that mirrors the scene in the movie. Best place to watch, I think, is right outside Mater's on Route 66. Sh-Boom! :thumbsup2

I have not heard if it has returned since the Parks reopened. But, there was/is a Carsland lighting show near sunset, each night. In the past, you can ask at the entrance to Mater's Juknyard Jamboree, and they have the lighting times inside the door of the CM supply box. But if not, you can search for the current sunset time in Anaheim and plan to be there just before. It's a cute little moment that mirrors the scene in the movie. Best place to watch, I think, is right outside Mater's on Route 66. Sh-Boom! :thumbsup2

Sounds fun! Thank you!
🙂

Avengers Campus has changed everything. Used to, you rope dropped for Radiator Springs Racers. Then Guardians of the Galaxy showed up and gave us a new "first" target. Now with the Spiderman ride and weird reservation

thank you!

Our family loves the Animation Academy in that building, where a cast member walks you through drawing a disney character. They make it super easy, and it's a great memento to take home. It's a different character with shows on the half hour. We usually stop by in the morning and take a picture of the schedule so we can target the ones we want to draw. I completely lack artistic ability, but the sketches come out great if you just follow their instructions.
Thanks!

Great thread. I’ve never been able to crack the code on DCA to move through the park efficiently. We almost never do rope drop there so if we ride Cars it’s always in the single rider line. And Incredicoaster over and over. 😂

I agree Pacfic Wharf is the place for great counter service.

Great thread. I’ve never been able to crack the code on DCA to move through the park efficiently. We almost never do rope drop there so if we ride Cars it’s always in the single rider line. And Incredicoaster over and over. 😂

I agree Pacfic Wharf is the place for great counter service.
Thanks!

If you go to Pacific Wharf, ask for Mac and Cheese in a bread bowl. It isn't on the menu, but its a winner. The turkey legs are great too, but we always sit down and share one. Too messy and too rich to pound one all by yourself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter