Any idea when we can buy WDW annual passes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of the day, APs will be back “soon”. Not today, not tomorrow, but we’re very likely talking months away from them being offered again, not years. It sucks for people that want them before they’re back and have to make a trip having to buy day tickets, but APs will be back. When Disney is running on all cylinders, having APs in the parks doesn’t impact their bottom line, no matter how much of a steal it is for people that use them a lot, its still money coming in every month from locals that are on a monthly payment plan, or an easy $650-$1,500+ From people that buy them that are either DVC or out-of-state (depending on the pass they get). Its not that Disney doesn’t want to bring APs back for guests to purchase, its just not the right time, for a bevy of reasons.

They raise the prices every year. I’m sure they’ll be more, but I dont think the price increase will be much more than this year. Maybe a $150 increase on the Platinum, and that might be high since they just increased the price $200 over the last 14 months. I could see APs and Park Hopping becoming available right around the yearly March price increases though.

And you add in that current AP holders are having a toughh time getting reservatons to the parks they want on the days they want. When your existing passholders can't get what they want adding more AP holders to the mix only makes it worse.
Unless those APs are out of state holders who have to stay in a hotel to come, like myself. I renewed when my pass expired in May knowing that when they opened things wouldn't be the same, but I was fine with that. I come enough I don't need to meet all the characters, watch fireworks I've already watched numerous times, and parades I've watched the same if not more times. By the time this pass expires I will have 27 parks days under my belt with it, and I know if they had not allowed me to renew in May I would be paying far more money for my tickets than what my AP cost. We were going to upgrade my DHs 8 day ph tickets during our trip to an AP, which has now been moved to Thanksgiving week from our original summer date when we had originally planned to do it. So now I've had to buy him 15 more tickets over the two trips after that since we can't upgrade and I needed to make park reservations. This also goes for my DDs who we were going to buy APs for this year for the first time, and again, I've had to buy them 15 days worth of tickets and will have to buy more for any trips after the last we have booked next summer if they don't bring back the ability to upgrade/purchase APs by then. They've made far more money from us than they would have had we purchased APs, and I think that is the main goal. They need/want every guest to have to shell out as much money as they can milk out of them, so if you're going to come on more than one trip you better be willing to pay more.

We had trips planned for October, December, and February with the intent of getting an annual pass. We are DVC from out of state. October is canceled (headed to Smoky Mountains instead) and I am seriously considering canceling February and going somewhere else because it’s fiscally inefficient to go 3 times without the annual pass.

I am very disappointed at the lack of financial consideration Disney had opted for by not allowing annual pass purchases. My husband and i cancelled 2 trips to wdw so far, Memorial Day fire a week-- parks closed couldn't go. Moved to mid August but due to travel restrictions in my city couldn't go for quarantine upon return, so we extended our Thanksgiving vacation to from 5 days to 12 days and now cannot buy a ap. Was on chat with disney and said we are dvc members using points for our hotel and the ap is the most cost effective purchase for us. Agent said buy a package with airfare and we can get tix. I advised her we were driving and still she said to buy a package. Our last ap expired in December. I wanted more than anything to have a Vacation i can enjoy after missing 2 vacations so far and now all I can think of is how much money we will spend unnecessarily or how little we will get to the parks because we can't afford to have all the money spent on tickets that will only last for one trip. Why are other parks selling ap?

Why are other parks selling ap?

Becase they want to and disney so far doesn't. In realitty it is most likely because disney has removed a lot more value from the APs right now then other parks have and so don't feel comfortable selling them at the normal price while that is in effect. I think the other reason is there are limited reservations in the AP "pool" so don't want to add new APs while they are hard to get. No that wouldn't apply to you since you'd come from another pool but any AP CAN take reservations from the limited AP pool.

All guesses. we don't know for sure but in the end the WDW opeeration and consierations are bigger then pretty much any other park so what applies to another park doesn't necessarily apply to WDW.

Are they still allowing renewal of annual passes even if they aren't selling new annual passes?

Disney basically hates APs right now. It is a slap in the face what they have done and I believe it will be a a fatal mistake. APs put a large investment in to the company and are now left to look in from outside the gate. I get they want to keep attendance in check but there are availabilities right now for the weekend unless you are an AP. In that case it is sorry charlie you are out of luck. I think the current week of passes should be open to APs since others usually know weeks in advance of a trip. But that is just MHO. Disney is making haters out of loyal fans. It could come back to bite them hard.

Disney basically hates APs right now. It is a slap in the face what they have done and I believe it will be a a fatal mistake. APs put a large investment in to the company and are now left to look in from outside the gate. I get they want to keep attendance in check but there are availabilities right now for the weekend unless you are an AP. In that case it is sorry charlie you are out of luck. I think the current week of passes should be open to APs since others usually know weeks in advance of a trip. But that is just MHO. Disney is making haters out of loyal fans. It could come back to bite them hard.

I can't agree with this strongly enough. Whined about it in here before but as an out of state AP holder, paying $1200 a person and essentially feel like Disney is doing everything in their power to keep me away. In the end they may get exactly what they are looking for.

I can't agree with this strongly enough. Whined about it in here before but as an out of state AP holder, paying $1200 a person and essentially feel like Disney is doing everything in their power to keep me away. In the end they may get exactly what they are looking for.
But they’re not. If you are a current AP holder, and you’re out of state, you can still travel down to WDW, utilize the AP room discounts, get into the resort guest bucket for park reservations and have a great time. Now, if you’re out of state and don’t currently have an AP, or opted for the refund instead of holding onto it, then yes, your out of luck right now.

Its really only local AP holders and out of state that don’t stay on property that have to deal with the AP bucket.

Not to restate everything but the way that they handled the refund/extension was a joke too.

We're in the middle of a pandemic and you need to make a choice on if you want 4 more, potentially, COVID-ridden months at the parks with limited everything or take a refund which essentially locks you out.

Makes zero sense. Should have paused everything and let me decide when I want to come back and start the clock again at that point. Costs them nothing short term and probably works out in the end.

Why not offer the Florida ticket discount to everyone? They are controlling attendance anyway. Why does it matter that someone is from Tampa or Bozeman MT? If anything the person from Bozeman would more likely need a hotel that they could sell them.

Just looks more and more like they don't want me there.

Universal is doing the opposite and is why I'm staying there for the first time ever in late November.

Why not offer the Florida ticket discount to everyone? They are controlling attendance anyway. Why does it matter that someone is from Tampa or Bozeman MT? If anything the person from Bozeman would more likely need a hotel that they could sell them.

That's a good point.

And yeah, some of the biggest differences with Covid restrictions between Universal and Disney is how they're treating annual passholders. Both are limiting capacity, but Universal is still showing that it values current and new passholders.

They're holding a passholder appreciation event right now!

From everyone else's descriptions, certainly does't seem like Disney is showing much or any love to current passholders. And they're not even allowing anyone new to buy one. Why should I go spend my money there again? (rhetorical, and yeah, I probably will anyway...)

That's a good point.

And yeah, some of the biggest differences with Covid restrictions between Universal and Disney is how they're treating annual passholders. Both are limiting capacity, but Universal is still showing that it values current and new passholders.

They're holding a passholder appreciation event right now!

From everyone else's descriptions, certainly does't seem like Disney is showing much or any love to current passholders. And they're not even allowing anyone new to buy one. Why should I go spend my money there again? (rhetorical, and yeah, I probably will anyway...)
It just all comes down to who is in charge of Disney right now. A guy who has always made poor decisions and this one is gonna probably hurt in the long run. You did it to yourself Chapek.

Florida/Annual Passholders have always been to "Fill in the Gaps" when the Parks aren't full. Typical APs spend less the more often they go. With limited capacity now, they want the "Big Spenders" to get first dibs on the limited slots. Remember, It's always about the money.

Florida/Annual Passholders have always been to "Fill in the Gaps" when the Parks aren't full. Typical APs spend less the more often they go. With limited capacity now, they want the "Big Spenders" to get first dibs on the limited slots. Remember, It's always about the money.

Florida passholders who live close to the parks, perhaps.

Also a large number of out of state passholders. These are people who would make 2-3 or more trips in a year, often staying at a Disney resort. Disney gets plenty of their money.

Often, passholders ARE big spenders. They just don't like to feel unappreciated or taken advantage of. If not allowed to purchase an AP, maybe they won't take those multiple trips? Maybe just 1 trip or no trip?

How often have ALL the parks reached capacity on any given day? Pretty much just Labor Day weekend? Plenty of room to keep passholders happy.

Again, I bought a Universal AP in June. I've made 3 separate trips, staying at a hotel each time. I'm probably going to make several more trips before it expires in September 2021 (valid for 15 months). How many trips to Disney have I made since then? 1. And it's unclear how many more I'll make under current conditions. But if I could get a good deal on a pass? Gamechanger. And I'd be visiting fairly often.

Florida passholders who live close to the parks, perhaps.

Also a large number of out of state passholders. These are people who would make 2-3 or more trips in a year, often staying at a Disney resort. Disney gets plenty of their money.

Often, passholders ARE big spenders. They just don't like to feel unappreciated or taken advantage of. If not allowed to purchase an AP, maybe they won't take those multiple trips? Maybe just 1 trip or no trip?

How often have ALL the parks reached capacity on any given day? Pretty much just Labor Day weekend? Plenty of room to keep passholders happy.

Again, I bought a Universal AP in June. I've made 3 separate trips, staying at a hotel each time. I'm probably going to make several more trips before it expires in September 2021 (valid for 15 months). How many trips to Disney have I made since then? 1. And it's unclear how many more I'll make under current conditions. But if I could get a good deal on a pass? Gamechanger. And I'd be visiting fairly often.
Exactly .. I feel Disney under-values and under appreciates their out-of-state passholders because of how the LOCAL APs spend their time and money at the parks.

There are some people in SC, GA, Alabama that are closer drive to Orlando than a lot of Florida residents. I live in NC (9 hour drive) and got an AP from 2018-2019 and went 3 times (almost 4) .. I spent more money in a year at Disney than I did the previous 4-5 years combined. I took longer trips because of discounts .. I bought more merch (because of discounts) .. I ate at more table service (because of discounts) and I went on a last minute, unplanned trip in August 2019 because of the special SWGE preview.

So .. an AP .. because it gives me "value" gets me to spend more money than I normally would. Without and AP .. I would have gone on on 6 day trip in 2018-2019 .. instead .. I was there 3 times, for like 13 days (staying at disney resort EACH time) .. and almost pulled the trigger on a final trip before it expired.

I have the same sentiment -- If I could get a good deal on an annual Pass? I'd buy it today and they'd have me locked in for the next year DESPITE all these restrictions -- I go from NOT going until things are "normal" (which may not be until fall of 2021) to going 2-3 times in the next 12 months .. especially since we are homeschooling my son this year and have the flexibility to vacation whenever.

Good Morning
We are from Massachusetts and our driving down in Feb for an 11 day Disney trip, my question is do you think the annual passes will be around bye then or have heard any rumors? The reason beside the discounts and free parking at all the parks witch is a huge savings for us because we will be there for 11 days and our own car, and we also have a second trip planned for Dec 2021 for the 50th. So total we will be there for about 22 days, makes sense to buy Annual Passes...

Good Morning
We are from Massachusetts and our driving down in Feb for an 11 day Disney trip, my question is do you think the annual passes will be around bye then or have heard any rumors? The reason beside the discounts and free parking at all the parks witch is a huge savings for us because we will be there for 11 days and our own car, and we also have a second trip planned for Dec 2021 for the 50th. So total we will be there for about 22 days, makes sense to buy Annual Passes...
There is really no idea as to when APs will be sold again. Some think the beginning of 2021. Some think when hopping comes back. Some think they could be back much earlier. The best idea for you is to hold out as long as possible to purchase your tickets (hoping that park availability doesn’t become an issue too far out from your trip) and hope that APs become available again. But if you’re planning on traveling during the President’s day week (winter break for northeastern schools) you could begin having issues getting specific parks on certain days a bit further out from your trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter