Any Canadians planning a fall 2021 trip?

Same here in Niagara, Christmas break starts on Dec 24th this year.

Hi, what board is this? I have alot of plans made for December!
Niagara . My daughter is an EA and the staff were talking about it yesterday. So I went online and found the minutes from a board meeting in February where they discussed the change and submitted it to the Ministry for approval. The Niagara Catholic board has the “pending Ministry approval “ calendar up on their website and Christmas break shows as starting the 24th.
FWIW, just about every other board I looked at seems to be ending on the 18th.. it’s just us going to the 24th .

Same here in Niagara, Christmas break starts on Dec 24th this year.
Hello fellow Niagara resident ! Did you get confirmation somewhere ? I think it will go through but so far I can’t find official word on the DSBN .

Well, back to the drawing board . Both school boards in our district have put in a request with the Ministry to change the 2021/2022 calendar. The proposed change has Christmas break starting on the 24th . I’m pretty sure it will go through ,one board already has the proposed calendar on their website.

I had made our tentative plans to include a break that started a week earlier ( by checking the ministry calendar) but we would miss too much school with the change.

Luckily with all the uncertainties I had made sure absolutely everything was refundable. We weren’t married to those dates or even sure we could go then. Now we are considering the week starting New Year’s Day , or moving to March Break 2022.

Neither one is ideal crowd wise . It seems like the vast majority of school boards are going back on January 3rd so maybe our January 1st to the 9th wouldn’t be so bad .
Oh darn it I better follow this closely as we are booked from Dec 18-26 assuming schools is out by then. We are the French school board for SW Ontario...

For school boards, Ottawa Catholic has put out their calendar and it's Dec 20 - 31. It still says proposed but since it aligns with the Ministry calendar I don't think it will change.

It looks like Ontario may have two sets of Christmas breaks, which will be interesting for flights and such?

For school boards, Ottawa Catholic has put out their calendar and it's Dec 20 - 31. It still says proposed but since it aligns with the Ministry calendar I don't think it will change.

It looks like Ontario may have two sets of Christmas breaks, which will be interesting for flights and such?
I ended up doing a search for some
of the larger school boards in Ontario and Niagara boards were the only ones I could find that are starting Christmas break on the 24th. I have no idea why, but there you have it.
So then out of curiosity I started checking the largest board in some states .. Florida , New York, , New Jersey, North and South Carolina , Massachusetts etc . and I only found one that starts the break on the 24th like us and they still only have a week and go back the 3rd of January .
Not a complete picture by any means but I don’t think the week of the 3rd will be as bad as usual .

I'm about to book my December flights, can't decide whether to book "standard" for the cheapest or go up a level to get bags/seat choice included, or two levels to get that plus be able to cancel. The lower prices come with changes possible, but doesn't look like cancellation. What to do... sadly kiddo's choice of business class is out of reach lol.

How old is kiddo? When travelling with children under 14, seat selection is complimentary with AC.

How old is kiddo? When travelling with children under 14, seat selection is complimentary with AC.
He turns 12 on the trip. The only issue with that is they usually put us at the back of the plane and he gets airsick, which tends to be worse back there. But that is true, and I could save the money.

We booked our March 2022 flights this morning, and I was able to call Air Canada Reservations and get our seats assigned 15 minutes after booking. They put us in 14ABCD so not that far back. Maybe that could be an option? It's true that sometimes they put you in the last seats...

We booked our March 2022 flights this morning, and I was able to call Air Canada Reservations and get our seats assigned 15 minutes after booking. They put us in 14ABCD so not that far back. Maybe that could be an option? It's true that sometimes they put you in the last seats...
If you check in online right when the flight opens though, you can usually move up front.

We are Eastern Ontario and I spoke with our principal re start for Xmas vacation and she flies out the day after we do I think she’s the 17th so we are assuming it’s a dec 17th start here .. ( thank goodness I lost $500 last year because the anticipated before labour day start and then the pandemic hit and well I paid that to change a trip that never happened sigh )

We are Eastern Ontario and I spoke with our principal re start for Xmas vacation and she flies out the day after we do I think she’s the 17th so we are assuming it’s a dec 17th start here .. ( thank goodness I lost $500 last year because the anticipated before labour day start and then the pandemic hit and well I paid that to change a trip that never happened sigh )
Yep , every proposed calendar I checked has your break . It just seems to be ours that changed for some reason .
On one hand I’m sad to miss out on the holiday offerings at Disney because I adore that time of year at the parks , but on the other hand it looks like we won’t get the crowds so it’s a trade off.

With one kid in grade 12 and the other working for the school board we really are limited for when we can travel as a family. I will just be happy to go at all. So for now the plan is January 2nd , hopefully showing up as holiday crowds are leaving after New Year’s Day.

So crazy that these school calendars are not firm with more advanced warning. Australia has firm school calendars into 2025.

I have just booked my flights for our September trip. I'm banking on all the vaccines being administered in Canada in the USA will have our borders open sometime this summer. I already had a room booked on our DVC points. I'm holding off buying park tickets just in case. Fingers crossed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter