• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another incident to add to the "dolphins/whales in captivity in theme parks" debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just some of the replies here make me shake my head. I didn't think this debate was still going on.

And I'm still fascinated as to where the line is drawn between acceptable inhumane treatment and unacceptable inhumane treatment.

I have been watching this thread wondering the same thing. Since the beginning of this discussion I found it very interesting that some of the same people who said they would never go to Sea World again in other threads give glowing praise to staying at AKL and sitting on their balconies watching the giraffes go by. Snarky answers aside, I haven't seen anyone explain the difference or why Sea World is on one side of their line and Disney, specifically Animal Kingdom is on the other.

A little research will show that Sea World does a great deal of rescue and rehabilitation around the world.

The gray areas, for me at least, are in trying to weigh the good with the bad.

Without the bad, there would be no funds for the good. Does that make it ok....I dont know....but it makes me question things.

And I'm still fascinated as to where the line is drawn between acceptable inhumane treatment and unacceptable inhumane treatment.

here is a snide comment for you - keep going to seaworld and keep enjoying the whales/dolphins do their cheap tricks for you - all in the name of 'conservation'. yep we are all learning loads watching them doing unnatural behaviours like jumping through hoops and having blarring music that freaks the dolphins out as they are very sound sensitive.

i love how the fact that marine parks dress it all up as 'conservation'.
if they were really doing like you say, 'conservation' - why make them perform?
here is the answer -because we both know performing brings the money in - doesn't it?

i am sure the whales/dolphins will thank people like you that keep paying the admission fees that continue them to be kept in capivity.

so all the 'rescue' dolphins are then deprived of food in order so they perform just for you and people like you. wow - they must be so grateful.

you make it sound that seaword are do-gooders - do you think that in your words seaworld would 'rescue' and 'rehilbilate' whales/dolphins if people weren't paying to go through their turnstiles everyday??

london zoo - back in the sixities they used to have tea parties where the public could go have tea with monkeys dressed up. can you imagine that happening in the UK/America nowadays? people got educated and realised it was really cruel.
more and more people are getting wise to these marine parks - and i hope in 10-20 years time - the sooner- the better - we will look back at places like seaworld and be astonished that we let performing whales/dolphins carry on.

you haven't addressed any of the facts at what happens to whales/dolphins in capitivity.

i never knew this but in some marine parks - captive dolphins get so stressed with all the people and the noise they develop stomach ulcers. so they are injected with a drug that prevents this from happening - so they can carry on performing despite being stressed.
do they tell that side of the 'conservation' when you enter the marine parks?

nope - i didn't think so.

I have been watching this thread wondering the same thing. Since the beginning of this discussion I found it very interesting that some of the same people who said they would never go to Sea World again in other threads give glowing praise to staying at AKL and sitting on their balconies watching the giraffes go by. Snarky answers aside, I haven't seen anyone explain the difference or why Sea World is on one side of their line and Disney, specifically Animal Kingdom is on the other.

not for me - i won't be visiting disney again.

you have missed the point - it isn't about disney vs seaworld. that wasn't my intention.

not for me - i won't be visiting disney again.

you have missed the point - it isn't about disney vs seaworld. that wasn't my intention.

I realize this is not Disney vs. Seaworld discussion and I am not miss understanding your intention, but since it is a discussion, I was sincerely curious about the particular aspect of those who think one is okay but not the other. Clearly that is not you.

here is a snide comment for you - keep going to seaworld and keep enjoying the whales/dolphins do their cheap tricks for you - all in the name of 'conservation'. yep we are all learning loads watching them doing unnatural behaviours like jumping through hoops and having blarring music that freaks the dolphins out as they are very sound sensitive.

i love how the fact that marine parks dress it all up as 'conservation'.
if they were really doing like you say, 'conservation' - why make them perform?
here is the answer -because we both know performing brings the money in - doesn't it?

i am sure the whales/dolphins will thank people like you that keep paying the admission fees that continue them to be kept in capivity.

so all the 'rescue' dolphins are then deprived of food in order so they perform just for you and people like you. wow - they must be so grateful.

you make it sound that seaword are do-gooders - do you think that in your words seaworld would 'rescue' and 'rehilbilate' whales/dolphins if people weren't paying to go through their turnstiles everyday??

london zoo - back in the sixities they used to have tea parties where the public could go have tea with monkeys dressed up. can you imagine that happening in the UK/America nowadays? people got educated and realised it was really cruel.
more and more people are getting wise to these marine parks - and i hope in 10-20 years time - the sooner- the better - we will look back at places like seaworld and be astonished that we let performing whales/dolphins carry on.

you haven't addressed any of the facts at what happens to whales/dolphins in capitivity.

i never knew this but in some marine parks - captive dolphins get so stressed with all the people and the noise they develop stomach ulcers. so they are injected with a drug that prevents this from happening - so they can carry on performing despite being stressed.
do they tell that side of the 'conservation' when you enter the marine parks?

nope - i didn't think so.

You are right...that was a snide comment.

And with that.....this thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter