Another famous "taking your kids out of school" thread ..

I’m not seeing that you’ve spoken to her teachers and the administration. That’s the important part. Talk to them and then you’ll know how they feel.

Thanks ! We did speak w them last yr when she first started IS - sixth grade -they were fine w it - but told that 7th grade a whole different ballgame, and might be tougher for her to miss the time

Love this post ! I always used to tell their teachers (in a joking
manner) that they can learn more walking around the WS in Epcot than they would at school ! As a father that lost my dad to cancer when I was only 15, I realize the value of these trips, and the memories we make - that is not say that I put their education on the back-burner, but I would be lying if I said that these trips don't mean a lot to us - we are pretty friendly with the Dean of my daughters school ( and she is telling me that -- "yes"- they do have the form to fill out) , so we are going to discuss with him and hopefully alleviate some of my daughters trepidation- thanks so much !
The "teacher post" re-affirmed your thoughts on the first moral dilemma so no further input is needed on thaat end.
Convincing your older DD this makes sense to her remains a problem. And doing it in a manner that doesn't boomerang on you in times to come could be difficult.

For the record I think WS is great as an educational experience for your second grader.

I stick to my core beliefs regarding schooling no matter what generational trend I'm dealing with. Currently, I'm raising my granddaughter (she lives w/ us 2/3 of the calendar year) and at almost 13 she knows that school is her job. Works for me and gives me hope that our family traditions will continue when I'm dead and gone.

Last edited:
My thought is that if it stresses your kid out, don’t do it.
Will you be able to help your daughter with any work the school sends? In particular, math? Missing several days of math can really set a student back, and most parents are not able to help their children with 7th grade math.

Really? What are they teaching them in 7th grade these days? I can’t imagine not being able to do 7th grade math! (Although I’ll probably not be the one helping with math homework as my husband has a degree in physics...)

Anyway, OP, I think if it stresses your daughter out too much, don’t do it. She won’t have a fun trip if she’s worried. I think it’s a totally fine idea to go ahead and make some plans, but take her feelings seriously if you get closer to the date and she’s still concerned.

We’re taking DS out for a week in Sept. He’s 7 and in the second grade. I already spoke to teachers and director and everyone was okay with it. We are doing a rest day where he will work on the hw packet. We are military, so our vacation schedules are based around deployments, etc.

I like the idea mentioned above about maybe the teacher could speak to your daughter about it? That might help alleviate some fears!

Would DS/DD be emotionally stable enough to stay home and in school (his/her choice compared with going and being worried and not having a fun trip) while the rest of the family goes to WDW? Do you have a grandparent or other relative to stay with him/her (to prevent home alone problems) and emotionally stable enough not to be continually henpecking?

Really? What are they teaching them in 7th grade these days? I can’t imagine not being able to do 7th grade math.
Not sure what they are teaching today but this is what I encountered in 7'th grade 50+ years ago.

1. What is 14 times 26 all in base seven? Express the answer in base 7. (I don't remember whether the teacher used the term septal or septimal; for you computer scientists you know what hexadecimal means nowadays ou get the idea.)

2. Given that one strog equals 3 grimples, you have a 10 gram object that comes in at 2 strogs and 2 grimples. What would a 20 gram object weigh in strog(s) and grimple(s)? (Oversimplified; the actual example had a third subunit called oswalds)

Last edited:
So former teacher here. I taught sixth grade in both an elementary and a middle school and let me tell you the culture around things like finals, placement, etc. is very different in middle v. elementary even when it's the same grade level. Math particularly steps up in middle school with kids starting classes that go on their high school transcript as early as 7th or 8th grade (Algebra I and/or HS level Geometry, depending on the school). Add in the same thing with foreign languages and some places even advanced science. I would certainly let her start the school year and see how she feels and talk to her teachers to find out if those feelings are accurate. For example, once I left teaching, I tutored some 6th and 7th graders that were aiming to move up to advanced math the next year or whose parents were worried about them being able to hit that level. It also may be that's when select orchestra, elite chorus, or the school musical try outs typically are and she doesn't want to miss those. You're going to do you, but having taught the same grade level at both middle and elementary school there are more moving parts and if the child is nervous about it I'd: a) find out exactly why and b) talk to the teachers to find out if the why is justified or just anxious teenager (I say as someone who definitely was one) before making a decision.

Really? What are they teaching them in 7th grade these days? I can’t imagine not being able to do 7th grade math! (Although I’ll probably not be the one helping with math homework as my husband has a degree in physics...)

Last year before the true Algebra sequence math starts even in the lower level classes. Most places 7th grade advanced (which is usually most A/B students) is Pre-Algebra and then some places the most advanced are already starting the HS curriculum with Algebra I. Particularly if a child is in the higher level and was on the border of being there or hoping to move to the more advanced class next year it makes a huge difference to miss a full week (even if it was for the flu not Disney).

I’m not seeing that you’ve spoken to her teachers and the administration. That’s the important part. Talk to them and then you’ll know how they feel.

I totally disagree that how they feel is the most important part.
I personally don't care how they feel about me taking my kids out of school for whatever reason I deem is important for my child.
What really matters are the attendance rules and whether or not the OP is breaking them. If she isn't then the only reason to speak to the teacher/s is to inform them her child will be out on what days as a courtesy.

OP, as long as your dd is OK with the decision- go for it. In the grand scheme of things missing a couple days of 7th grade to go to WDW is not going to hurt her academically.

So former teacher here. I taught sixth grade in both an elementary and a middle school and let me tell you the culture around things like finals, placement, etc. is very different in middle v. elementary even when it's the same grade level. Math particularly steps up in middle school with kids starting classes that go on their high school transcript as early as 7th or 8th grade (Algebra I and/or HS level Geometry, depending on the school). Add in the same thing with foreign languages and some places even advanced science. I would certainly let her start the school year and see how she feels and talk to her teachers to find out if those feelings are accurate. For example, once I left teaching, I tutored some 6th and 7th graders that were aiming to move up to advanced math the next year or whose parents were worried about them being able to hit that level. It also may be that's when select orchestra, elite chorus, or the school musical try outs typically are and she doesn't want to miss those. You're going to do you, but having taught the same grade level at both middle and elementary school there are more moving parts and if the child is nervous about it I'd: a) find out exactly why and b) talk to the teachers to find out if the why is justified or just anxious teenager (I say as someone who definitely was one) before making a decision.

Thanks much ! Yep- I did book the room just to have it held, but we are going to give her a few months and see how comfortable she is before making a decision - as others have mentioned - a stressed out pre-teen would not be fun !

Last year before the true Algebra sequence math starts even in the lower level classes. Most places 7th grade advanced (which is usually most A/B students) is Pre-Algebra and then some places the most advanced are already starting the HS curriculum with Algebra I. Particularly if a child is in the higher level and was on the border of being there or hoping to move to the more advanced class next year it makes a huge difference to miss a full week (even if it was for the flu not Disney).

The poster I quoted acted like most parents couldn’t do 7th grade math...I feel like most adults could handle pre-algebra.

Even back in the dark ages, I took high school algebra in 8th grade. My high school curriculum was geometry, algebra 2, precalculus, AP calculus.

Would DS/DD be emotionally stable enough to stay home and in school (his/her choice compared with going and being worried and not having a fun trip) while the rest of the family goes to WDW? Do you have a grandparent or other relative to stay with him/her (to prevent home alone problems) and emotionally stable enough not to be continually henpecking?

Not sure what they are teaching today but this is what I encountered in 7'th grade 50+ years ago.

1. What is 14 times 26 all in base seven? Express the answer in base 7. (I don't remember whether the teacher used the term septal or septimal; for you computer scientists you know what hexadecimal means nowadays ou get the idea.)

2. Given that one strog equals 3 grimples, you have a 10 gram object that comes in at 2 strogs and 2 grimples. What would a 20 gram object weigh in strog(s) and grimple(s)? (Oversimplified; the actual example had a third subunit called oswalds)

Yea, that was a consideration - my wife might have to work, so I was going to take ds7 - daughter was having none of it ! Lol

My thought is that if it stresses your kid out, don’t do it.

Anyway, OP, I think if it stresses your daughter out too much, don’t do it. She won’t have a fun trip if she’s worried. I think it’s a totally fine idea to go ahead and make some plans, but take her feelings seriously if you get closer to the date and she’s still concerned.
I’m horrible with math, but my kids had algebra 1 in 7th, geometry in 8th, algebra 2 in 9th... I also found that as my kids got older, teachers were less likely to give work in advance, which made for a lot to catch up on later.

One thing that makes it difficult to catch up is the discussion portion of the class. Students are sharing ideas and strategies, listening to others share their thinking, and critiquing the efficiency of one strategy over the other. A parent may be able to help with the procedural side, but classroom discourse helps build the conceptual understanding and mathematical proficiency. That said, many kids can miss a few days of class for any subject and be fine. Others fall behind and need more time to work through concepts. ODS is one of those kids who needs to be in class. He needs to go from concrete (hands-on), to semi-concrete (drawings), to the abstract (understanding the procedure, why it works, and several ways to approach a problem). When he was sick last year, it threw him off. I teach math methods at the college level but cannot replicate classroom discussions. Plus, he prefers not to have Mom be in Teacher Mode and does not want my help.

One thing that makes it difficult to catch up is the discussion portion of the class. Students are sharing ideas and strategies, listening to others share their thinking, and critiquing the efficiency of one strategy over the other. A parent may be able to help with the procedural side, but classroom discourse helps build the conceptual understanding and mathematical proficiency. That said, many kids can miss a few days of class for any subject and be fine. Others fall behind and need more time to work through concepts. ODS is one of those kids who needs to be in class. He needs to go from concrete (hands-on), to semi-concrete (drawings), to the abstract (understanding the procedure, why it works, and several ways to approach a problem). When he was sick last year, it threw him off. I teach math methods at the college level but cannot replicate classroom discussions. Plus, he prefers not to have Mom be in Teacher Mode and does not want my help.

Oh, how I wish DD didn't want my help ! This "new" math ! :))
You make extremely good points- another monkey wrench into the situation - checked her calendar, and parent-teachers conferences are the 27th-29 - the week that I booked - I did leave a message for the Dean - we became friendly last year - he really took a liking (luckily) to DD, and waiting to hear back from him - DD told me that she really values his opinion, and if he tells her not to worry, she won't -

I have two in college and one who is a freshman in High School. I wouldn't take your daughter out if she is already stressing about it. Odds are her feeling are very valid. For our family we have found our children's educational experience to be far more intense and demanding then when my husband and I were in school. I know it stinks to have to pay so much more for family vacations. I truly understand as it is a lot more money and way more crowded! Been there, done that, far too many times! Yet, now that I am on the other side of graduation and with two in college I see the value in respecting their wishes about not scheduling vacations during the school year. This request came from all three in middle school.

Regardless of the fact that most adults have taken middle school math we found it was presented vastly differently for our students then how it was for my husband and I. Both my husband and I hold college degrees and could help with some homework but not all of it. My kids hated missing classes, even when sick, because often it meant lots of extra work for them. All three started taking honors and High School classes in middle school and felt they needed to be in class to stay on this track. As a parent, I found it frustrating at times but in the long run it paid off. Thus far, I have not had to shell out a cent for either of my older two kids tuition to college. As long as they keep their grades up this should continue until they graduate. They are both at in state public schools. (Florida State and The University of Florida.) It's a difficult choice and every family needs to make the right choice for their situation. I just thought I would present a different perspective. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Last edited:
I have two in college and one who is a freshman in High School. I wouldn't take your daughter out if she is already stressing about it. Odds are her feeling are very valid. For our family we have found our children's educational experience to be far more intense and demanding then when my husband and I were in school. I know it stinks to have to pay so much more for family vacations. I truly understand as it is a lot more money and way more crowded! Been there, done that, far too many times! Yet, now that I am on the other side of graduation and with two in college I see the value in respecting their wishes about not scheduling vacations during the school year. This request came from all three in middle school.

Regardless of the fact that most adults have taken middle school math we found it was presented vastly differently for our students then how it was for my husband and I. Both my husband and I hold college degrees and could help with some homework but not all of it. My kids hated missing classes, even when sick, because often it meant lots of extra work for them. All three started taking honors and High School classes in middle school and felt they needed to be in class to stay on this track. As a parent, I found it frustrating at times but in the long run it paid off. Thus far, I have not had to shell out a cent for either of my older two kids tuition to college. As long as they keep their grades up this should continue until they graduate. They are both at in state public schools. (Florida State and The University of Florida.) It's a difficult choice and every family needs to make the right choice for their situation. I just thought I would present a different perspective. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Thanks so much for your help ! Yea, she is majorly stressing 7th grade - she's in a pretty tough middle school - I don't ever remember getting 4-5 hours of homework a night in 6th grade !

Thanks so much for your help ! Yea, she is majorly stressing 7th grade - she's in a pretty tough middle school - I don't ever remember getting 4-5 hours of homework a night in 6th grade !
4-5 hours of homework at night in 6th grade???
I was an aide at a middle school for years, and never did the teachers assign so much to do after a full day of school.
No wonder your DD is stressed!!

4-5 hours of homework at night in 6th grade???
I was an aide at a middle school for years, and never did the teachers assign so much to do after a full day of school.
No wonder your DD is stressed!!

Yep - her math teacher was insane last year ! They actually received so many complaints from the parents, that the teachers had to call a meeting and decide the days each one would assign homework - well, it didn't work - ! None of them would budge !

Egads, I've been having the same problems helping DGD with her math homework. It's being taught in a conceptual method that differs from the way I learned it. They are attempting to introduce algebraic principles in earlier grades to ensure the mindset is already there and easily integrated by the time she reached 5th grade when formal Algebra classes began for her. I accepted that I wasn't up to the task and hired a math tutor. We both come up with the same answer but from different approaches yet now her home and classwork practical work reflects examples acceptable to her teachers as opposed to my own, LOL.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter