Annual Reading Challenge 2019

12/30 - Restoring Her Faith by Jennifer Slattery - sweet romance set in Texas
13/30 - The Cowboys Faith by Danica Favorite- Western romance on a Colorado ranch
14/30 - Glory Road by Lauren Denton - southern women's fiction set in Alabama

I am behind in both posting and reading...

May:
#30/90: The Trespasser (Dublin Murder Squad #6) by Tana French (4/5) (suspense)
Conway and Moran take lead on the murder of a young woman. Another detective is pushing hard for the arrest of the woman’s boyfriend, but seems to be trying to mess with the investigation.
Although I enjoyed the book, I thought that the author dragged the story out longer than necessary.

#31/90: Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens (4 /5) (historical fiction/mystery)
A young girl is abandoned by her family and she grows up alone on their NC marshland. She is befriended by two very different young men from town. As a young adult, she is accused of murdering one of the young men.
I had high expectations for this book as the group passing it around proclaimed it the best book they ever read. Although I enjoyed it, I don’t believe it reached that level.

#32/90: The Tuscan Child by Rhys Bowen (4/5) (historical fiction/mystery)
This book is told in alternating timelines of the father while he was hiding from the Germans in a small Italian town during the end of WWII and his daughter on a quest to find the woman her father loved during that time.

#33/90: The Silkworm (CB Strike #2) by Robert Galbraith
Strike and Robyn now have a bustling business, but Strike decides to take a baffling case without guarantee of payment. An author is missing, and his next novel has been leaked with horrifying caricatures of people in the industry, who can all be considered suspects.
I felt that the details of the “novel” were more graphic than I care for.

#34/90: The Eighth Sister by Robert Dugoni (4/5) (thriller)
Part espionage, part courtroom, this story details a former CIA operative brought back into play to help find Russian women who are double agents. But it turns out that he has been set up, and now he needs to fight to clear his name.

#35/90: Career of Evil (CB Strike #3) by Robert Galbraith (4/5) (British detective)
When Robyn receives a severed leg at the office, it appears that Strike is being targeted by someone from his past. They must work to find the killer before the business is completely ruined.

June:
#36/90: Redemption (Memory Mann #6) by David Baldacci (3/5) (mystery)
Decker returns to his former hometown and is caught up investigating one of his first cases, where it appears that the man imprisoned may have been innocent.
Seemed to drag on more than the earlier books.

#37/90: The American Agent (Maisie Dobbs #15) by Jacqueline Winspear (4/5) (mystery/historical fiction WWII England)
Maisie is tasked with solving the murder of a young American woman. She is also dealing with a tragedy that befalls her best friend and the fear of not being able to adopt Anna.

#38/90: America’s First Daughter by Stephanie Dray and Laura Kamoie (4/5) (historical fiction)
Life with Thomas Jefferson as seen through the eyes of his eldest daughter.

#39/90: The Rosie Result (Don Tillman #3) by Graeme Simsion (4/5) (humorous fiction)
Rosie and Don are headed back to Australia with their 11 year old son, Hudson. Hudson’s awkwardness becomes very apparent in the new living situation, and Don tries to come up with a plan to save his son from the painful experiences Don went through growing up.
This book had a lot of different story lines going on. While I am sad to know that there will not be more books with these characters, I didn’t feel that it was as good as the first two.

#40/90: The Summer Wives by Beatriz Williams (3/5) (romantic historical fiction)
Told in multiple timelines, this is the story of the haves and have-nots coming together on a private summer island. Murder and romance ensue.

It’s the end of another month, so time for my round up of books read. In June I read 5 books, bring my total for the year to 36.

32) 1:23:40: The Story of the Chernobyl Nuclear Disaster by Andrew Leatherbarrow - History/Memoir. About half the book is a historical look at what lead up to, caused/happened, & the trapped to Chernobyl. The other half is about the authors trip to Chernobyl in 2011. The historical parts were good. 3.75/5

33) The Philadelphia State Hospital at Byberry: A History of Misery and Medicine by J. P. Webster - History. A look at/into the infamous Byberry. A good local interest read. 3/5

34) Be Free Or Die: The Amazing Story of Robert Smalls' Escape from Slavery to Union Hero by Cate Lineberry - History/Biography. In 1862 Small’s lead a small group of slaves in stealing a Confederate steamer and delivering to the Union. Famous in his time, but not well known now. 4.25/5

35) The Butchering Art: Joseph Lister's Quest to Transform the Grisly World of Victorian Medicine by Lindsey Fitzharris - History/Medicine. A look at a transformative period in medicine. 4/5

36) The Impeachers: The Trial of Andrew Johnson and the Dream of a Just Nation by Brenda Wineapple - History. A look at the Reconstruction era covering Johnson’s Presidency and those that fought for it. 4.75/5

33/50
Carry Me Down by M.J. Hyland
John Egan is a misfit — "a twelve year old in the body of a grown man with the voice of a giant" — who diligently keeps a "log of lies." John's been able to detect lies for as long as he can remember, it's a source of power but also great consternation for a boy so young. With an obsession for the Guinness Book of Records, a keenly inquisitive mind, and a kind of faith, John remains hopeful despite the unfavorable cards life deals him.
This is one year in a boy's life. On the cusp of adolescence, from his changing voice and body, through to his parents’ difficult travails and the near collapse of his sanity, John is like a tuning fork sensitive to the vibrations within himself and the trouble that this creates for he and his family.
Carry Me Down is a restrained, emotionally taut, and sometimes outrageously funny portrait whose drama drives toward, but narrowly averts, an unthinkable disaster.

Didn't care much for this one.

Clock Dance by Anne Tyler. I got this from the library after sjrec posted about it. She was correct it was a good read. About a 62 year old woman who unexpectedly evolves when she steps out of her comfort zone and starts becoming her true self.

60 of 104

30/50 Deadly Class Volume 2: Kids of the Black Hole by Rick Remender
Collection of the issues in the second story arc in the comic series. I enjoyed this volume. The tv series was able to get more in depth with the characters but the visuals and story line from this volume were pretty well reflected in the show. I went several months between reading volumes 1 & 2. I don’t think I’ll wait as long before I read volume 3.

Clock Dance by Anne Tyler. I got this from the library after sjrec posted about it. She was correct it was a good read. About a 62 year old woman who unexpectedly evolves when she steps out of her comfort zone and starts becoming her true self.

60 of 104
Put in a request for this one!

31/50 The Circle by Dave Eggers
A dystopian novel that follows a young woman who joins a powerful tech company, The Circle. Interesting revisiting of a common theme that allows the reader to reflect on the constant current evolution of social media and companies like Google. It appears the novel was turned into a movie with Emma Watson & Tom Hanks, but I don’t remember seeing anything about it.

23/50 - Mastiff: Beka Cooper Book Three, A Tortall Legend by Tamora Pierce. Genre - Young Adult Fantasy
The Legend of Beka Cooper gives Tamora Pierce's fans exactly what they want--a smart and savvy heroine making a name for herself on the mean streets of Tortall's Lower City--while offering plenty of appeal for new readers as well.

Beka and her friends will face their greatest and most important challenge ever when the young heir to the kingdom vanishes. They will be sent out of Corus on a trail that appears and disappears, following a twisting road throughout Tortall. It will be her greatest Hunt--if she can survive the very powerful people who do not want her to succeed in her goal.

I thoroughly enjoyed this trilogy.

32/50 Deadly Class Volume 3: The Snake Pit by Rick Remender
Collection of the issues in the 3rd story arc of the comic series. This story arc wasn’t in the first season of the SyFy series, so I didn’t know what to expect. This comic series is very violent and very adult in content. The images are powerful.

33/50 Deadly Class Volume 4: Die for Me by Rick Remender
Collection of the issues in the 4th story are of the comic series. This is my favorite volume, so far. The last section was amazing and had my adrenaline pumping. I reread most of it right away. I can’t wait to see what the SyFy series does with this issue.

Update time!
#24 "The Huntress"-very interesting story of Nazi Hunters, told from the perspectives of 3 different people. 2 of them were 5stars, but 1 held no interest at all for me, overall 4 stars.
#25-"Where the Crawdads Sing"- I didn't understand why this book was given such exceptional marks. I liked it, especially the information about nature and especially birds. However, I didn't go "Wow!" 4 stars
#26-"A Spark of Light" by Jodi Picoult. Another one of her "moral dilemma" books. This one was about an attack and the subsequent deaths of some people at an abortion clinic. Since I was extremely uncomfortable with the topic and her viewpoint, I gave it 2 stars.
#27-"The Librarian of Auschwitz"-very inconsistent book. Some sections were very interesting, but some areas dragged and seemed to go nowhere. Overall, 4 stars.

34/50 Exit, Pursued by a Bear by E.K. Johnston
“In every class, there's a star cheerleader and a pariah pregnant girl. They're never supposed to be the same person. Hermione struggles to regain the control she's always had and faces a wrenching decision about how to move on. The rape wasn't the beginning of Hermione Winter's story and she's not going to let it be the end. She won't be anyone's cautionary tale.”
I LOVED this book. It took a familiar young adult novel theme and told it in a fresh and interesting way.

#34/50
The Enemy by Charlie Higson
When the sickness came, every parent, police officer, politician - every adult fell ill. The lucky ones died. The others are crazed, confused and hungry.
Only children under fourteen remain, and they're fighting to survive.

Now there are rumours of a safe place to hide. And so a gang of children begin their quest across London, where all through the city - down alleyways, in deserted houses, underground - the grown-ups lie in wait.

But can they make it there - alive?

Pretty good YA book. First in the Enemy Saga. I do plan on reading the next in series

#74 - 83/130 - The By Moonlight series by Nancy Gideon

I picked up the first book in this series, Masked by Moonlight, without realizing it would be so loooong - 10 books, with a spin-off series of 4 more titles (so far!) - but the whole story arc was well done, more supernatural thriller/suspense than romance though each book had strong romantic elements as well, with characters that are engaging enough to make you want to pick up the next story to see what happens to someone who was only a side character in the previous episode. Set in a world where shapeshifters exist in the shadows, keeping their existence secret from mankind, the overarching story is about the politics, alliances and criminal entanglements of the three major clans within shapeshifter society, as well as a grimly corporate group of "chosen" who aren't quite shifters but share some of their powers, and most of the action takes place in a New Orleans as only someone who loves it as a visitor but who has never lived there could write it.

#84 - A Travel Junkie's Diary by Dina Bennett

The title of this one had me instantly intrigued. I love books about travel, not guidebooks but narratives, especially when they're written by women and/or set in really exotic places, and this was both. But I really had a hard time getting into it. Told as a non-chronological set of snapshot-like anecdotes spread across a number of trips over several years, it lacked an overarching narrative quality to tie it together. I ended up reading almost like you'd read a short story collection, one chapter here and another there, over an unusually long stretch of time compared to my usual reading pace and patterns. Some were fascinating, others had a navel-gazing quality that just fell flat, and that unevenness made it a sort of ho-hum read.

Loving the Storm by Linda Seed. A fluff read - romantic fiction, non-christian so some adult content but not graphic.

Death of a Crafty Knitter by Angela Pepper. One of the Stormy Day mystery series. I think this was the second book in the series and I have not read the first one so there was so missing backstory pieces. It was a good 'pass the time' read but I feel no need to track down more of the series.

61 & 62 of 104

Monthly update

52. A book with a question in the title - Where'd You Go Bernadette? by Maria Semple. I didn't love this one. The writing was fun, but the story was just.... ultimately nothing special.

53. Remember Me 2 by Christopher Pike. The first book was an interesting concept. This sequel was just.... bad. And boring.

54. A booking becoming a movie in 2019 - The Woman in the Window by AJ Finn. Can we please be done with "shocking" twists for which no indication appears in the story prior to their occurrence?

55. Mustache Shenanigans: Making Super Troopers and Other Adventures in Comedy by Jay Chandrasekhar. I enjoyed this much more than I expected. I listened to the audiobook read by the author which, to me, always makes books such are this more enjoyable.

56. A book by and author whose first and last names state with the same letter - Sunburn by Laura Lippman. I was in for this one. Loved the set up, the characters. And then the plot just sort of fizzled and ended. I was disappointed in the end.

57. Your Favorite Band Can't Save You by Scotto Moore. This novella grabbed my eye on the new releases shelf, though it's not actually new. It was a fun, bizarre, quick read for anyone who enjoys live music.

58. 99 Fear Street #1 (The First Horror) by RL Stine

59. A ghost story - The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton. I enjoyed this, though it took me a couple weeks to get through the dense 500ish pages. I've never read her before and lots of reviews said it wasn't her best work. I enjoyed it enough to check out another one of her novels. Anyone have a suggestion as to which one?

60. 99 Fear Street #2 (The Second Horror) by RL Stine

Monthly update

54. A booking becoming a movie in 2019 - The Woman in the Window by AJ Finn. Can we please be done with "shocking" twists for which no indication appears in the story prior to their occurrence?

Totally agree.
And if you are gonna name just about every movie made before 1960 and you don't mention Rear Window, or you are elude to a dozen books and not bring up "The Girl on the Train" people are still going to know the book is a rip off of both.

I put as much as I could to have reader be able to guess what happened in my mystery. Hey, I might have spelled all the clues incorrectly, but at least I gave the reader some.

35/50 Present Over Perfect by Shauna Niequist
I put this book title on my “to read” list so long ago that I can’t remember which friend recommended it. I wish I could remember, so I could thank them. It spoke to my heart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter