Annual Pass Rate - weird question

donalddj

Earning My Ears
My wife and I are trying to decide if an annual pass makes sense for us this year because we have two trips planned.

We dont have the pass yet but one of the factors would be hotel savings.

My question is, does anyone have any idea on how we can find out the hotel rate for annual pass holders for our dates in April without me having to purchase the pass first? The website does not allow me to do this. Has anyone done this before?

Call. They'll give you the rates if you tell them you plan to get an AP. You can even book it, but you'll need to have an active AP in order to actually get the rate when you check into the resort.

This would be lovely. I will dm you.

We will probably call this week anyway too.
Actually I cant dm you for some reason.

We are looking for rates for 2 adults and 1 4 year old child for either:
4/16/2020-4/22/2020
Or
4/16/2020-4/25/2020

We aren't picky about the hotel we are just looking for the lowest rate at each tier to make a decision.

Last edited:
I can't DM you either. I think you have to have a certain number of posts before it'll let you DM people or let people DM you.

Actually I cant dm you for some reason.

We are looking for rates for 2 adults and 1 4 year old child for either:
4/16/2020-4/22/2020
Or
4/16/2020-4/25/2020

We aren't picky about the hotel we are just looking for the lowest rate at each tier to make a decision.
I don't see any values for your dates. Lowest prices for mod: Coronado for $227, lowest for deluxe AKL for $326. There are several moderate and deluxe options.

ETA: Art if Animation has suites for $411. That's the only value option.

My wife and I are trying to decide if an annual pass makes sense for us this year because we have two trips planned.

We dont have the pass yet but one of the factors would be hotel savings.

My question is, does anyone have any idea on how we can find out the hotel rate for annual pass holders for our dates in April without me having to purchase the pass first? The website does not allow me to do this. Has anyone done this before?

You save less on resorts than you once did. General public discounts often are available first and the difference between those and the AP discounts range from zero too minimal. However, that said, you save on some meals and merchandise with your AP and get free parking (nice if you stay off site) at the theme parks. Check out the per day price of multi day tickets vs AP. If you are doing two trips the AP may make sense just for the entry alone. You do have PH privileges with an AP as well. We buy an AP every second year and get an annual trip that way (by going just at the beginning and near end of the AP valid dates. Plus, then you have an incentive to try to squeeze an extra trip in during that year. After all you already have your passes, right? LOL!

I have gotten amazing discounts with an AP, but never for a value, those just don't get good discounts. I use it to make staying at a deluxe more affordable since the discounts for those are generally much higher than that of values and mods. I got AKL for $232 in June with an AP discount, it was more expensive to stay at all of the mods at that point. The discounts for this current AP discount were not fantastic, unless like me you found a glitch in the system before it was closed, and got one so good you don't even want to mention it in case Disney finds out and takes it away lol, otherwise they were sparse and rather disappointing compared to past discounts. I would say the AP is worth it for two trips, the discounts are just a really nice perk. I am normally the only AP holder in the house since I go on several solo trips a year, and bring the kids on individual trips during the summer, but my husband is getting one as well since we'll both be going on at least 2.

I've found the AP rates are generally 10% more than the regular room discount (assuming your category is open). Also, book the regular room discount if the AP rate is not available and keep checking. Our standard room at AKL was never available when we booked around four months in advance, but the day before we checked in, the AP rate was available and I was able to apply it on MDE!

Of course, you do lose money if you're like us and start staying at nicer resorts because of that extra 10% :rotfl:

You need to do the math. Do you normally get PHs? The free parking isn't going to factor in since you are talking about staying on site and you get free parking for that. Do not factor in any discounts you may or may not get. If you don't normally get PHs, look at the price of tickets for your known trips, remember tickets prices are different on different dates it is going to take more days for the AP to equal if you don't normally get PHs. If the cost of the AP is equal to or less than the price of your tickets, get it, if not, I wouldn't.

I had an AP for a number of years and it worked for me because I was taking at least 2 5 day trips a year and I always get PHs. The cost of the pass then equaled 10 days. I was never in all the time I had it, able to get a room discount with it that was less than the general public discount stacked with an Orbitz bucks discount. A lot of the restaurants we ate at did not offer an AP discount, and most of the high price stuff we bought did not get a discount because it was at stores that were not Disney owned (mask shop in Italy I'm looking at you). Which is why I say just factor in cost of tickets.

I'm not sure if memory maker is still included with an AP, it used to be so you had to factor in whether you normally got that or not when doing the math. We didn't and even though we had it for free, only used it once in about a 5 year span (that means one picture not one trip). So, it wasn't included in my math to see if the AP was a better deal.

Two trips usually makes sense if you get the DVC/in state discount, otherwise its not really a good move...

Couple of things from reading all the posts:

AP rates for dates up to April 25 have been out for awhile so availability is limited. Parking is only free for AP holders at the theme parks... if you are driving, you would still have to pay the resort parking fee.

General statements about how many trips make an AP worth it aren’t always accurate. How long are the trips? What dates are they (remember tickets are date based now). Also factor in we never know when Disney will raise ticket prices, so will the price go up before your 2nd trip? Will you take any trips in 2021? Will it fall within 365 days of your first trip this year so the AP would still be valid? Will you park hop? Will you shop a lot? The current AP discounts on most Disney merchandise is 20%, a pretty good amount. We usually take 2 trips..each one for 7 nights, go in the parks 8 days & park hop. We have gotten AP room discounts frequently, but we stay club level deluxe resorts so that is usually 35%, a higher rate & more available than say, a standard room at a value resort. We are 1500 miles away but have had APs for years. But beware: sometimes having that AP is a reason to sneak an extra short trip or 2 in during the year..... after all, “we won’t have to pay for tickets.” :rolleyes1

Also remember you can get all these discounts with 1 AP. You could get an AP for 1 adult & regular tickets for the other adult & child. There are a few sites with slightly discounted tickets. Won’t be as costly as getting APs for everybody & with the discounts, you might save. Definitely have to look at the prices for the tickets you would buy for each trip. As some other posters have said, you have to do your own math. Good luck & have a great vacation!

Call. They'll give you the rates if you tell them you plan to get an AP. You can even book it, but you'll need to have an active AP in order to actually get the rate when you check into the resort.
I have a question on this -- trying to find an definitive answer.

Does the active AP holder have to be the one that makes the reservation?
I ask because I got an AP room rate today, but my plan was to just get my daughter (3yo) an AP because we already have tickets for everyone else. I assumed since a child price is the same, it wouldnt matter,

But I should probably find out .. I dont want to show up and get charged full rack rate if we dont have a valid AP.

I have a question on this -- trying to find an definitive answer.

Does the active AP holder have to be the one that makes the reservation?
I ask because I got an AP room rate today, but my plan was to just get my daughter (3yo) an AP because we already have tickets for everyone else. I assumed since a child price is the same, it wouldnt matter,

But I should probably find out .. I dont want to show up and get charged full rack rate if we dont have a valid AP.
Hmmmm...i do not know. I mean, I know kids get the other AP perks like free parking and discounts, so I assume they can get AP rates on rooms too as long as they're one of the guests.

Hmmmm...i do not know. I mean, I know kids get the other AP perks like free parking and discounts, so I assume they can get AP rates on rooms too as long as they're one of the guests.
@Robo answered my question in another thread. He said it should be no problem. So i guess I will go that route!

1 AP, and use up my existing tickets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!