Annual Dues - UK PayPal

I also use the address of my home resort when purchasing the gift cards. I have occasionally been able to buy them for $500, but I've also had some held for a while, so now I just stick to buying lots of $100 ecards. They can take from a few minutes up to a day to get authorised, but I'm able to purchase another while waiting for the first to get authorised.

I just bought a $500 gift card yesterday, it took about 18 hours to come through. I used the home resort address as well and it was very easy to apply to the dues account for next year.

I use wise instead, you can transfer usd in your PayPal to wise usd account for free, at that point you can do whatever you want, including go month to month with your dues payments my connecting the wise account to your DVC for direct debit.

I use wise instead, you can transfer usd in your PayPal to wise usd account for free, at that point you can do whatever you want, including go month to month with your dues payments my connecting the wise account to your DVC for direct debit.
I do the same. I really like the Wise account and use it whenever I am abroad.

If you have a foreign paypal account you can not transfer USD from paypal to your USD wise account because PP is linked to your foreign bankaccount. At least with a European paypal account you can only link european bankaccounts.
Paypal has different rules in each country. It may be different for usa/canada/uk accounts.

You can buy USD Disney egift cards with Paypal on the usa disneyshopping website as long as you put in a usa address.

Last edited:
If you have a foreign paypal account you can not transfer USD from paypal to your USD wise account because PP is linked to your foreign bankaccount. At least with a European paypal account you can only link european bankaccounts.
Paypal has different rules in each country. It may be different for usa/canada/uk accounts.

You can buy USD Disney egift cards with Paypal on the usa disneyshopping website as long as you put in a usa address.
Perhaps, my PayPal is Canadian, but I just followed these instructions and I can transfer to my USD wise account and have Disney direct debit my dues from the wise account https://wise.com/gb/blog/how-to-send-money-from-paypal-to-transferwise

Perhaps, my PayPal is Canadian, but I just followed these instructions and I can transfer to my USD wise account and have Disney direct debit my dues from the wise account https://wise.com/gb/blog/how-to-send-money-from-paypal-to-transferwise
Doesn’t work with my European paypal account. I can only link bank accounts from within the european union.

I can keep a USD balance and/or EUR balance in paypal.
But when I receive a USD payment i cannot transfer to my EUR bankaccount without the hefty paypal fees. So i prefer to spend it in usd (eg buying disney gift cards) without conversion

I can not link the usd bank account (wise or any other) to paypal.

I have purchased giftcards on Disneystore a few times, you dont need to use a VPN, just make sure you are on the usa site. For billing details I used the boardwalks address.
I have made probably about 20 purchases, I will say it can be hit and miss if it flags. If it does flag then the hold on the funds in paypal takes 30 days to drop off so you wont have access to the funds.
I would buy smaller amounts, at least at first to try to avoid this issue

Doesn’t work with my European paypal account. I can only link bank accounts from within the european union.

I can keep a USD balance and/or EUR balance in paypal.
But when I receive a USD payment i cannot transfer to my EUR bankaccount without the hefty paypal fees. So i prefer to spend it in usd (eg buying disney gift cards) without conversion

I can not link the usd bank account (wise or any other) to paypal.
Do you have a Wise $ account set up?

Do you have a Wise $ account set up?
Yes.
I use it to pay dues monthly.
But I can not connect it to my european paypal. And my primary paypal currency is USD.
EUropean paypal accounts can only connect with EUropean bank accounts.

Eta: i meant EU as European Union, not EU as in Euro (the currency)

Last edited:
Yes.
I use it to pay dues monthly.
But I can not connect it to my european paypal. And my primary paypal currency is USD.
EUropean paypal accounts can only connect with EUropean bank accounts.

Eta: i meant EU as European Union, not EU as in Euro (the currency)
Have you tried using as US VPN?

Have you tried using as US VPN?
Trust me, i have tried everything.

USpaypal and EUpaypal are different entities or divisions
I can connect US$ Wise account to a USPaypal account but I would need to set up a new (US) paypal account. And even though I do have a US SSno and a US postal address, I do not have proof of residency (because I do not live there). So eventually paypal will block the account. I used to have a US paypal account for years.

And officially, one is only allowed to have one personal paypal account.

Last edited:
Trust me, i have tried everything.

USpaypal and EUpaypal are different entities or divisions
I can connect US$ Wise account to a USPaypal account but I would need to set up a new (US) paypal account. And even though I do have a US SSno and a US postal address, I do not have proof of residency (because I do not live there). So eventually paypal will block the account. I used to have a US paypal account for years.

And officially, one is only allowed to have one personal paypal account.
Paypal is in terminal decline. The user experience has declined sharply over recent years. No real need or advantage in using it.

I have a $$$ balance in my Paypal (im in the UK) and wanted to withdraw it to my bank account but the rate isnt the best.

I ready about you using the wise account so Ive just signed up, ordered my card and asked for US details.

Am I right in thinking that I can transfer my dollar balance for Paypal to Wise then use my wise debit card to pay my annual dues and also as my spending money on my next WDW trip? I hope I've done it right!

I have a $$$ balance in my Paypal (im in the UK) and wanted to withdraw it to my bank account but the rate isnt the best.

I ready about you using the wise account so Ive just signed up, ordered my card and asked for US details.

Am I right in thinking that I can transfer my dollar balance for Paypal to Wise then use my wise debit card to pay my annual dues and also as my spending money on my next WDW trip? I hope I've done it right!
I was trying to say that No, if you’re in the UK or EU it does not work that way. You can not connect an US bankaccount to an UK or EU paypal account.

Oh rubbish! That was a waste of time this afternoon ordering a wise debit card and submitting ID to get US account details.

Oh rubbish! That was a waste of time this afternoon ordering a wise debit card and submitting ID to get US account details.
You can still use it to pay dues monthly but the funding can not come from UK paypal (even if balance is in US$) directly without hefty conversion fees.
(You would need to convert US$ to UK£, transfer to UK bankaccount, convert back to US$ in Wise so technically you can, but it’ll cost twice the conversion fees)

If you want to use US$ paypal balance to pay dues, best option is to buy egiftcards on the US shopdisney site and pay with paypal.

Last year I did a bit of research into this topic.

From what I've seen researching most (included myself when I started looking at this) think "a PayPal account is a PayPal account. If I [in x country] can do y then you should be able too" but in reality its much far more complex.

How paypal is set up is each country or regulatory territory has its own "paypal product". As such a UK, Hungarian, Canadian, and US PayPal account (note that is countries not currency) all have their own set of features. You can not ordinarily change the designation of an account.

I believe the universal features offered on each "paypal product" is
a) the ability to hold different currencies,
b) the ability to spend PayPal balance online at the checkout, and
c) the ability to send a PayPal user an amount.

Beyond that it gets far more nuance. Some countries allow you to "Pay Out" over Visa/MasterCard (this appears as a card refund on your bank statement). I've also seen US PayPal accounts have a special process to withdraw cash over the counter at WalMart stores. The list goes on.

The situation above makes it quite hard to work out what you can and can't do. Over the years as eCommerce has matured and digital banking got more regulations. In response PayPal has significant checks and balances to ensure they don't miss-vend the wrong "paypal product" to a customer. They probably have also cleaned up many past mistakes from the early days of the internet.

You do have to wonder why Dave's sticks to just PayPal
given the improvements in payment tech since started. Having another option would protect the business from PayPal withdrawing service. I would say its a significant material risk that PayPal could turn round with a new policy "we don't deal with property/timeshares businesses", say "we don't like your business" (the disclaimer about no income tax reporting "to any tax authorities" could give any AML officer cause for concern) or could have their hand forced by an external party. It's always better to have a fallback already in place and working than go through the rigmarole of doing it under an existential threat to the business.

Last year I did a bit of research into this topic.

From what I've seen researching most (included myself when I started looking at this) think "a PayPal account is a PayPal account. If I [in x country] can do y then you should be able too" but in reality its much far more complex.

How paypal is set up is each country or regulatory territory has its own "paypal product". As such a UK, Hungarian, Canadian, and US PayPal account (note that is countries not currency) all have their own set of features. You can not ordinarily change the designation of an account.

I believe the universal features offered on each "paypal product" is
a) the ability to hold different currencies,
b) the ability to spend PayPal balance online at the checkout, and
c) the ability to send a PayPal user an amount.

Beyond that it gets far more nuance. Some countries allow you to "Pay Out" over Visa/MasterCard (this appears as a card refund on your bank statement). I've also seen US PayPal accounts have a special process to withdraw cash over the counter at WalMart stores. The list goes on.

The situation above makes it quite hard to work out what you can and can't do. Over the years as eCommerce has matured and digital banking got more regulations. In response PayPal has significant checks and balances to ensure they don't miss-vend the wrong "paypal product" to a customer. They probably have also cleaned up many past mistakes from the early days of the internet.
Thank you for explaining that better than I could

I came in here to ask this question as I have $ stuck on PayPal from renting.

Does anyone have any alternative options on payment when renting? I still have quite a few points to rent. Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter