Anniversary, Pregnancy, and 3.5 Generations at WDW! DxDP Update: Whispering Canyon!

Joining in popcorn::

By the way, none of you look your ages, you must have very good genes :thumbsup2

Your Grandma certainly doesn't look anywhere near 83 !

Thanks for the compliment! I'll have to let her know--maybe she'll be more amenable to posing for pictures next time if I remind her of how young she looks! :cool2:

Wonderful review and can't wait to read more! I've been seeing such great reviews of AP lately. I'm staying at WL in a few weeks and don't have an ADR for AP! What was I thinking? I need to fit it in! I laughed at the photo of your room because I didn't even see your DH's legs there until I read the "bonus" underneath it. :lmao: The room looks lovely. I sure hope we get upgraded too! :woohoo:

Can't wait for more!!

I'm honestly not sure how/why we got upgraded--all we said on our room request was that we were celebrating our anniversary and would like a nice view, and Grandma requested to be close to the lobby because she and Mom both have trouble walking. The room we got was right next to the lobby elevator AND had a great view--I guess it was just the Disney magic working for us! :wizard: Hope it happens for you as well!

Great review and pics of Artist Point! It's one of my absolute favorite WDW restaurants.

Sorry that DH didn't really enjoy the berry mousse. It was actually my favorite dessert on my past trip - I thought it had the tartness of berries, the subtle sweetness of banana, the creaminess of the vanilla ice cream on the side (at least it was vanilla when I had it) and a wonderfully light texture. Because the mousse was light after a heavy meal, I actually preferred it to the berry cobbler, which I also love. :cloud9:

Yeah, I sometimes doubt DH's reviews of things because he's so picky. He prefers storebought brownie mix to my homemade brownies made from Katharine Hepburn's recipe, so something must be up with his taste buds. :eek: I didn't try the mousse (too busy enjoying the cobbler!), but it might have been just fine!

So glad you enjoyed the Princess breakfast, we have been twice and it was excellent both times...my niece pigged out and ate three of those ligonberry muffins, wished they sold them at the bakery in Norway

Loved your review of AP! It is one of our very favorite restaurants. I am looking forward to more of your reviews!

Artist Point looks wonderful, and I'm glad you enjoyed Akershus too. I love those breakfast potatoes!

Congratulations on your upcoming arrival :)

Can't believe Grandma is in her 80's - let's hope she has passed her young gene onto you and your baby.

Food so far looks great - we love Akershus

Signing on! We've never been to Artist Point and I've been reading great reviews. We need to get there soon!:goodvibes

great reviews so far. one question, was Belle at Akershus? she is my daughter's favorite and we have a reservation late August, so, we hope that she is there.

great reviews so far. one question, was Belle at Akershus? she is my daughter's favorite and we have a reservation late August, so, we hope that she is there.

Belle is there and you get your picture taken with her at the beginning, before you get seated. She greets you for a minute and I'm sure your daughter could get an autograph before the photo is taken as well. I don't think she goes around to the tables during the meal because she's busy with the photo sessions, and it would be kind of weird for the kids to have two Belles in the same restaurant... ;)

Yeah, I sometimes doubt DH's reviews of things because he's so picky. He prefers storebought brownie mix to my homemade brownies made from Katharine Hepburn's recipe, so something must be up with his taste buds. :eek: I didn't try the mousse (too busy enjoying the cobbler!), but it might have been just fine!
Being a picky eater isn't such a bad thing. :goodvibes My mom has actually become more picky recently, it's just something we have to deal with.

But the least your DH could do is pretend to like your brownies better :lmao:

Being a picky eater isn't such a bad thing. :goodvibes My mom has actually become more picky recently, it's just something we have to deal with.

But the least your DH could do is pretend to like your brownies better :lmao:

Well, it would be nice, but on the other hand, I wouldn't want to eat something I disliked either! If he lied about the brownies, I'd make them more often, and then he'd be miserable. He does like certain homemade things I make (sandbokkel, krumkake, and other traditional Norwegian goodies! :thumbsup2). He was very honest about the restaurants at WDW too, which was good, so next time we'll go to the ones that we both liked the best.

From a native Hoosier :), thanks for your great reviews and photos :thumbsup2. I bet being a Floridian, you just "love" our Indiana winters :scared1:. Every winter I whine to my DH a little more about how much I want to move to Florida :woohoo:. I can take the Florida heat any day over Indiana winters of cold, snow and ice :sad2:.

Great reviews so far! I appreciated your pics of the inside of Akershus. I've never been but getting ready to try on my upcoming trip!

From a native Hoosier :), thanks for your great reviews and photos :thumbsup2. I bet being a Floridian, you just "love" our Indiana winters :scared1:. Every winter I whine to my DH a little more about how much I want to move to Florida :woohoo:. I can take the Florida heat any day over Indiana winters of cold, snow and ice :sad2:.

Thanks! :) DH and I lived in MN for a few years prior to moving to Indiana for school, so the winter here actually seems pretty mild in comparison. What I really hate is the ice, and the poor condition of the roads--in MN they plowed and salted constantly, so you never had to worry about driving, but I fear for my life here in Muncie while driving in the winter! I'm definitely looking forward to moving back to Florida, and not just because we'll be closer to Disney. :cool1: We only have two more years before I finish my Ph.D. coursework, so I may not have to wait too long...

The next stop on our DxDP excursion was the Rose and Crown Pub. Grandma, Mom, and I had eaten there on many previous trips to WDW and had always liked it, but DH had never been there. We got to the U.K. pavilion a bit early and had time to wander around the shops and gardens:

w38.jpg

Love the scenery!

We were seated in a corner of the dining room with a nice view of the decor. I love the ceilings and the heavy pub tables.

w29.jpg

I didn't take pictures of the menu here, but it was exactly the same as the menu on the wdwinfo website. For our appetizers, Grandma and I got the frisee and apple salad. We both thought this was delicious and rated it a 4. The dressing was tart and not too sweet, the craisins were a perfect accompaniment to the slightly bitter lettuce, and the candied nuts and apple pieces added nice flavor and texture. I asked for mine without the stilton cheese because pregnant women are advised to stay away from the moldy stuff :sad2:, but it was still very good.

w22.jpg

Mom ordered the potato and leek soup as her appetizer. She rated this a 5 and said it was delicious. I tried it and thought it was a nice, creamy soup with a very light, mild flavor.

w24.jpg

DH ordered the cheese plate. He rated this a 3. He said this was because the stilton cheese was disgusting. He also didn't like any of the candied fruits or jams that were served with the cheese. I tried them and thought they were delicious, so I think his rating is just because he doesn't like those foods in general and probably should have ordered a different appetizer. :confused3 The cranberry biscotti that came with the appetizer was very tasty and combined perfectly with the sharp cheeses.

w23.jpg

For their entrees, DH, Grandma, and Mom all ordered the fish and chips. They all looked identical, so I only took one picture. They serve them with a cute fake newspaper:

w25.jpg

Everyone liked the fish and chips and rated them a 4. DH said they were tasty, but no better than other fish and chips he's had at non-Disney restaurants.

For my entree, I got the bangers and mash. I was trying to limit my fish (mercury) intake and I knew I was going to get fish at Narcoossee's. Now, I know pregnant women are also supposed to stay away from nitrates, but I hadn't had anything with nitrates in it since becoming pregnant, so I figured once would be okay. I rated this a 5. The sausage was absolutely divine--perfect flavor, just a little bit spicy. The cabbage was perfectly cooked and the shallot gravy had a nice flavor.

w26.jpg

Grandma was too full to order dessert and ordered coffee instead. I didn't ask her to rate it, but she drank it all, so I assume it was fine. :) Mom and I both got the sticky toffee pudding. We both rated this a 5. It's hard to describe how delicious it was--soft and moist, piping hot, with a sticky, creamy, caramel-toffee sauce on top. Perfect!

w28.jpg

DH got the chocolate scotch cake. He rated this a 3 overall. He liked the chocolate cake and the creme anglaise, but was not a fan of the raspberry glaze, which was not mentioned on the menu. The cake was moist and fluffy and the middle part was chocolate mousse.

w27.jpg

Overall, we all liked Rose and Crown and would visit again. DH was least impressed and could probably take or leave it. Rose and Crown also has a quick service area where you can order the fish and chips (for a much lower price!), so we might try that next time, since that was the only part of his meal that he really liked. However, I loved my bangers and mash so much that I might insist on the full dining experience again... :love:

Glad you enjoyed R &C so much! I was so set on the Sunday Roast for our dinner there next Wednesday, but the bangers and mash looks DELISH!

Love, love, LOVE the Bangers & Mash and Sticky Toffee Pudding! So glad to see a great review as we will be eating there a week from today! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter