Anne's PJ: Dec 10th, 2007 AAR/ADH *Updated 11/26*Tons of new stuff*

astroanne9

Earning My Ears
Reading all of your planning journals and trip reports has helped me so much in my planning so I've decided to add mine to help future brides plan their event. I guess I should start from the beginning.....

How we met
Steve and I actually met years ago while volunteering for a high school robotics competition. At the time we were each mentors on different teams participating in the Championship event which happened to be held in the Epcot parking lot (I wish they would still hold it there :sad2: but I digress). We stayed in touch over the years but he was in Maryland, I was in Georgia so nothing really came of it. Once I graduated college (Georgia Tech :yay:) I was offered a job in the Baltimore area and Steve and I have been together since.

1140168616_8de5352685_m.jpg

The Proposal
It all started with our yearly vacation to Disney World in September 2006. My first surprise was that Steve had upgraded our stay to the Wilderness Lodge without my knowledge. I got to find out once we got in what I thought was the wrong Magical Express line. He had been animate that he would not be proposing on this trip since he wasn't able to afford a ring at the time (sob sob sob) so I thought he was just trying to make it up to me a little.

During dinner the first night (at Artist Pointe), a book was brought to the table on a plate decorated with star confetti during dessert (by the way the Berry Cobbler there is to die for :love: ). Inside the book was a list of clues I was supposed to follow on an “Amazing Race” around Disney World. A few of the clues were for that evening (around the resort) but most were to start the next morning. By the end of it, those clues took us to all four parks and three other resorts before the last clue brought us to Epcot and Illuminations. When the song “We Go On” started to play, Steve turned to me, dropped down on one knee, and asked me to marry him. Being taken off guard, my first response was “Are you serious?”, quickly followed by a “YES!!!” As a surprise to both of us, a few cast members from the Polynesian (we had met them earlier in the day and somehow Steve had managed to tell them what was going on) were there to give us bride and groom Mickey ears, balloons, and had also arranged to get our room decorated!

It was so dark that night, we don't have any good pictures but we did re-enact the scene the next day:

1140169174_9e744e42d4_m.jpg

And the ring (DF picked it out all by himself too):

1140157996_7ca4260d49_m.jpg

1140157462_c398e2c78e_m.jpg

It was a no brainer to decide on a Disney wedding since we had met and gotten engaged there. Plus my family is spread between Canada and Florida while his is all local so having a fun destination just seemed to be the logical choice.

When and Where
Soon after our wonderful vacation, we started looking into the different Disney wedding options. We knew it would be a smallish wedding (under 50 people) but not small enough to have an Escape wedding. After much deliberation we decided on AAR for the ceremony location and ADH for the reception (we like to ballroom dance so this was a natural fit for us).

We decided that we wanted to go during a low cost, low attendance time of the year without making it too difficult for our guests to attend. Early December seemed perfect since the Christmas decoration would already be up and the weather would be so nice so December 10th, 2007 became our date.

I've got tons more to post but I've gotta get it organized first :santa:

Congrats! You are getting married just a few weeks after us! I love the proposal story; how creative! :thumbsup2 I think I also asked my DF if he was serious because I was so shocked! I can't wait to hear more!

Congrats!

ADH is a lovely place for a reception! (But I'm biased, that's where I had mine :)) I can't wait to hear more about your plans!

Ok, now that I have some of my pictures organized I can continue. DF and I went down to WDW for a planning session in May. I wish we had taken more pictures during the planning itself but we did take a few during the site visit to ADH.

The dance floor from the second floor:
1147970607_83ac582145_m.jpg

The dance floor:
1148809574_b3dd939df2_m.jpg

Prereception area upstairs:
1147971035_d82705b26d_m.jpg

Patio outside:
1148812116_d1c17a977b_m.jpg

Seating (where the buffet will be as well):
1148810660_532cec546c_m.jpg

Outside:
1147968641_3951523871_m.jpg

I took some pictures of AAR as well but none of them turned out....

Once we had seen each site, we sat down with Diane Bowen (no longer our planner, we now have Michelle Wenzler) and Laura Kidd (floral) for our planning session. We did get to decide quite a bit. Since everything will already be decorated for Christmas, we decided to stay with that general theme and color (red, green, and accents of gold).

Here's some of what we decided on:

Cake
This was our inspiration:

1148064705_9f7ecbf44f_m.jpg

I photoshopped (badly) a general idea of what our final cake will look like:

1148096895_9d06c4cdc3_m.jpg

But the marblelized layers will match the bridesmaids dresses in red (I coudn't figure out how to do that in photoshop).

The bottom layer will be chocolate cake with rasberry mousse and fresh rasberries, the middle will be marble cake with dark chocolate mousse, and the top will be yellow cake with strawberry mousse. I can't wait!!!!

Flowers

Here is the inspiration picture I brought for my bouquet:
1140162964_63e7706039_m.jpg

I love the fact that it's subtle in its Christmas inspiration. It'll be wrapped in champagne gold with a few hidden mickeys. My maid of honor and bridesmaid will have smaller bouquets of cream colored roses and red hypericum berries. Actually it's just easier to post the flowers sheet I put together:

1148174581_7b00bc8abd.jpg

Centerpieces

I actually bought some lanterns on sale at Ikea a while back that I wanted to use as centerpieces. Here's what they look like:

1140146468_571544ba78_m.jpg

We found out that Disney floral would not set them up for us unless they added something to it. Laura came up with a great idea to hang the lanterns on hangers they have and place a small flower arrangement with holiday greenery, iced branch accents, berries, and red spray roses inside each lantern. The small ones will be used on the tables and the larger ones on the cake table.

Ceremony

We will set up the chairs as in this picture:
1139838467_50b4feb85c_m.jpg

The current plan is to have ivory chair covers and champagne gold sashes to cover the ugly banquet chairs though DF hates the idea of paying that much just to hide chairs that people will be sitting in. I'll keep holding my ground on that one though...

The only other decor for the ceremony are a few potted poinsetta plants to mark the aisle and we requested that the Christmas tree already in AAR be placed at the altar (like in the picture).

Next I'll post about our tasting. Yummy!!!

Congratulations! I'm enjoying reading all about your plans - everything sounds great. Looking forward to hearing (and seeing pics hopefully) all about the food :coffee: :)

Congratulations! I'm enjoying reading all about your plans - everything sounds great. Looking forward to hearing (and seeing pics hopefully) all about the food :coffee: :)

Sorry to disappoint but I don't have pictures of the food. I had delegated the responsibility of getting picture to DF and he failed miserably:rolleyes: . I guess the food was too good :confused3.

I'll hopefully get some more info posted this weekend.

I’m going a little bit out of order here since we actually had our tasting at 9:00 AM before the rest of the planning session. Since we are having a brunch on wedding day, we figured that if we didn’t like a specific item at 9:00 AM, our guests probably wouldn’t like them at 10:00 AM in the morning either so it worked out quite well.

We did our tasting in one of the small rooms in the Boardwalk conference center. When we came in, we were shown right to a room with a large round table set up with 8-10 place settings. Each place setting had a different napkin fold. Soon after, Chef Joe and our WP Diane arrived and we got started.

Diane first asked us if there are any of the folds on the table that we liked. I had seen picture of another fold that I preferred. I showed Diane and Chef Joe the picture and they said that it was no problem for them to do that. Here’s the fold that I like:

1181979475_1bc35af386_m.jpg

We are actually going to get our favors (mini-Mickey ornaments) placed in the middle of the fold.

Once that was decided on, the food was served. We tried the following:

Appetizer
-Tomato and Mozzarella with Balsamic emulsion and basil (from A La Carte Dinner)
This was good but seemed a little more bland than we thought it would be.
-Smoked duck with spicy slaw (from Sleeping Beauty Pre-Dinner cocktail)
These were great!! We had the choice of having it served buffet style of handed out in mini fried wontons.

Salad
-Field Greens (from A La Carte dinner)
This is a great salad. The sesame ginger dressing is really good.

Intermezzo
-Raspberry Champagne sorbet
Was served in an ice sculture (some in a rose, others in a slipper). Very beautiful.
-Tropical Fruit Sorbet
Was served in a martini glass with a mint leaf. Very classic.

Entrée
-Island spiced Mahi Mahi with grilled pineapple, citrus, and vanilla bean beurre blanc sauce (from Glass Coach dinner)
The Mahi itself was spicy and it just did not taste right with the sweet sauce.
-Seared chicken breast with granny smith apples, roasted fennel, and fig jus (from Tinker Bell’s Brunch)
The best thing we had. It tasted so much better than it sounds!!!!

Dessert
-Chocolate pecan pies (from Old World Classics)
-Crepes Suzette (from Dessert parties additions)

After all that we discussed our options and came up with the following menu:
Pre-reception
Non-Alcholic Punch
Champagne Punch
Fresh fruit with yogurt dip
Smoked duck with spicy slaw served in a wonton

Reception Buffet

Field Greens with mangos, red onions, and crisp noodles with sesame ginger dressing
Mediterranean Grilled Mahi Mahi topped with sun-dried tomatoes, black olives, and caramelized onions
Seared Chicken breast with granny smith apples, roasted figs, and fig jus
Spinach and lemon risotto
Asparagus with julienne red peppers and button mushrooms
Crepes suzette and chocolate hazelnut crepes prepared to order with caramelized bananas, mandarin oranges, and rasberries served with a Devonshire cream
Assorted dinner rolls and croissants and butter
Coffee, Decaf coffee, hot teas, iced tea
Beer and wine billed to consumption bar

It makes me so hungry just to type this all up......

Thanks to everyone who has been reading. It helps to hear comments from others and know I'm not in this alone :). I finally get to show you all some pictures of my dress. DF reads these boards (not quite as religiously as I do but still...) so I’ve had to come up with a way to show them to you where he won’t look. He wants to read the planning journal so I won’t post them directly here. I have posted them in the wedding dress thread here (Steve, you better not look, you promised!!!):

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=20386423&postcount=795

I also found my tiara:

1139312393_64861c6499_m.jpg

I also got a phone call on Friday evening to let me know that the bridesmaids dresses are in. They are in a berry red and the bow is in ivory. Here’s what they look like:

1139319135_7a355766cc_m.jpg

We also finalized the tuxedos in the last few weeks. All the guys and fathers will be wearing this tux with an ivory point collar:

1139324423_1de5beab43_m.jpg

DF’s vest:

1140169378_a7c532bd57_m.jpg

Groomsmen and ringbearer vests:

1139324671_f0d8970e08_m.jpg

DF’s parents are divorced and both remarried. His stepfather and father refuse to wear the same thing so each of the fathers will wear different colors of the same vest. My dad will be in gold, DF’s stepfather will be in black, and DF’s father will be in platinum.

oh my gosh, what a stunning gown!!! it's so different, and looks incredible on you! and your menu looks fabulous as well.....congrats and looking forward to more..:surfweb:

Michelle :cloud9:

You're plans are all so lovely!

We'll be staying at the BW during the week you're getting married, so I'll have to see if I spot you! I can grab my family and say, "I know her!" :goodvibes

Your pj is great. My vow renewal is 12-6-07 and we'll still be there 12-10-07, I'll have to look for you!

I have only talked to her on the phone once - she seems pretty nice!

Michelle is great to work with. She really knows her stuff and comes up with great ideas. We've enjoyed working with her the last few months.

oh my gosh, what a stunning gown!!! it's so different, and looks incredible on you! and your menu looks fabulous as well.....congrats and looking forward to more..:surfweb:

Thanks!!! I saw that dress on the designer website but no one seemed to have it for me to try it on. The bridal salon I went to offered to order one for me to try on if I paid for the shipping. It worked out great.

You're plans are all so lovely!

We'll be staying at the BW during the week you're getting married, so I'll have to see if I spot you! I can grab my family and say, "I know her!" :goodvibes

Your pj is great. My vow renewal is 12-6-07 and we'll still be there 12-10-07, I'll have to look for you!

We'll be wearing the buttons and ears (though we may modify ours a little bit... we are both engineers so we just have to tinker ;) )

So where was I............ I’ve shown you what everyone will be wearing and told you all about the planning session. I guess I can show you what I’ve put together/gathered so far.

After much searching and not finding anything nice and affordable, DF and I decided to make our own invitations. We bought pocketfolds from http://www.cardsandpockets.com along with all the inserts. The only thing we added was the vellum. Here’s what the final product looks like:

1139319517_677fd3837c.jpg

The invitation itself:

1140164980_aebe9b8431.jpg

The inserts:

1140165838_f6aa101fa3.jpg

DF sealed each pocketfold closed with some red wax and a seal in the shape of a ‘S.’ I wish I had a picture of that:confused3 . I'll have to remember to take one when we send the second batch of invites.

Many of our guests have never been to WDW before so we also wrote several newsletters to give them some important information and tips. Here’s the first newsletter:

1139480613_723d4a01e7.jpg

1140324852_e997f237e5.jpg

1140325242_523f6a271e.jpg

1140325436_ecc730d756.jpg

About a month later we sent the second newsletter:

1139481761_030ff9129b.jpg

1140325992_10ec59b04a.jpg

1140326388_8efc0552e4.jpg

I’m working on #3 now. I’ll probably send it in October/November-ish. I also wrote some cheat sheets for those planning to join us at CP and MVMCP:

1140326596_c84a2dbda4.jpg

1140326488_938d4f3452.jpg

Next up, what I have so far for my welcome boxes, favors, and gifts.

Hi Anne,

Your newsletters and invitations look amazing!! Just wanted to say hello!! We share the same wedding day!! We will be renewing our wedding vows on 12/10/07 at the Wedding Pavillion!!!

Can't wait to read more!!:bride:

Hi Anne,

Your newsletters and invitations look amazing!! Just wanted to say hello!! We share the same wedding day!! We will be renewing our wedding vows on 12/10/07 at the Wedding Pavillion!!!

Can't wait to read more!!:bride:

Yay someone else with the same date!!! I was starting to feel lonely ;). Maybe we'll run into each other while we are down there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter