An open letter to Disney about mandatory room checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it isn’t going to happen as Disney doesn’t disclose security policies. But they need to tell their customers what the policy actually is. All we know is that they can enter the room for any reason, at anytime and they will announce themselves first (which according to reports isn’t always happening). I cannot find anything from Disney that there will be daily room checks at least once but possibly several times a day.

"Stand your ground". These are the words that a previous poster used in relation to the room check policy at Disney. That scares me a little deep down. That is a law in Florida that relates to the use of deadly force in confrontational situations and is a policy that has absolutely no context in a discussion of this sort. Don't like the policy? Don't stay in a Disney Resort. Simple. Still want to go to Disney but will not tolerate the policy? Stay offsite. Don't like the policy? Write e-mails, letters, make calls, let Disney know you are not happy with the policy. But "stand your ground"? Private property that gives Disney the right to do what they want concerning room checks. Them doing such does not lessen your rights. These are rights you never had to begin with. If Disney wants to ban you for violating their policy it is their right to do so.

I completely understand people feeling the way they do about the room checks as it feels like an invasion of perceived privacy. But the reality is that privacy has never existed when you stay in a hotel/motel, Housekeeping comes to the room everyday. If your ac is not working maintenece will come in your room while you are away to fix it. What we are really talking about here is the fact that you are crossing paths with these people if you are in your room at the same time they want to do what they do everyday. You can resist that's your choice, but to somehow think that this is a new policy meant to somehow ruin your vacation or invade your privacy I can't understand that. Someone was in your room everyday before this became a stated policy and all this policy is doing is actually telling you that they reserve the right to continue doing what they have always done.

So to me it is basically no change to the way it has always been and I am not really sure what the dust up is all about. Of course I have also admitted in another post that I probably don't see any changes because our touring style is get up in the morning, leave the room for the parks all day and not return till later in the evening. We don't often take midday breaks in our room. That's not what we are there for.

Just my observations about a subject that I think is much ado about nothing.

Please don't conflate what I wrote with that ridiculous Florida law regarding use of deadly force. We both know that isn't what I meant, so you can drop the fear mongering.

The 'dust up' is that these policy is a nuisance, and there is a difference between someone in your room when you're there and not there. I don't care about housekeeping seeing my dirty underwear (physically and metaphorically) but if I'm asleep in the room, or changing, or just minding my own business I don't like the idea of someone willing, able and intending to enter against my desire. That is a measure of privacy that is lost, I can't take a nap without risking the chance of waking up to an unknown person in my room. That is uncomfortable for some people. For you, it appears not to be, and that's wonderful for you, but that doesn't mean the rest of us should just sit down and shut up and not make a peep because it doesn't bother you. They need to check on my room? Fine, they can wait until it's not occupied, and I am free to tell them I disagree with their entry while I'm there without interfering with it. Not only am I free to, I should, and so should everyone else that disagrees with it. Your post, and the post I originally cited as well as countless others thumb noses at people like us and tell us to quiet down, settle down, it's not that big of a deal. These are scary sentiments, and these are not ones we should ever endorse. Nobody thinks the policy is maliciously intended to damage their vacation, but it does take away from it and we have a right to voice that opinion calmly and politely.

I think what the fractalpotato and Jen1995 and others are saying is that it is possible to express displeasure both about a policy and the uneven way it has continued to be implemented without arguing or fighting. Unlike others the policy does and has affected me as my family and I DO spend a lot of time in our DVC “home.” I fail to see why we should not give feedback, we are guests/members not sheep. And it can be expressed to front line staff, and escalated to HK management, and resort management face to face, surveys, emails and calls to Disney and DVC executives. I have done so in the past at Disney and elsewhere without raising my voice or my fists. In person, I am usually able to make my point clear with tone of voice. Not very productive if I bottle it up, or as one poster said somewhere, bend over and grab the ankles.

This is a very accurate synopsis of my points, and I think similar to Jen1995's points.

I know it isn’t going to happen as Disney doesn’t disclose security policies. But they need to tell their customers what the policy actually is. All we know is that they can enter the room for any reason, at anytime and they will announce themselves first (which according to reports isn’t always happening). I cannot find anything from Disney that there will be daily room checks at least once but possibly several times a day.

This would go a long way to reducing discomfort, some of the problem definitely comes from not being able to predict what's going to happen. Who wants to take a nap and relax on vacation when someone may or may not show up to inspect your room and may or may not announce themselves first and may or may not respect your wishes of a modicum of privacy at that moment?

Matt

I think what the fractalpotato and Jen1995 and others are saying is that it is possible to express displeasure both about a policy and the uneven way it has continued to be implemented without arguing or fighting. Unlike others the policy does and has affected me as my family and I DO spend a lot of time in our DVC “home.” I fail to see why we should not give feedback, we are guests/members not sheep. And it can be expressed to front line staff, and escalated to HK management, and resort management face to face, surveys, emails and calls to Disney and DVC executives. I have done so in the past at Disney and elsewhere without raising my voice or my fists. In person, I am usually able to make my point clear with tone of voice. Not very productive if I bottle it up, or as one poster said somewhere, bend over and grab the ankles.

I completely agree with what you are saying here. Make your displeasure known. I said that in my post "Don't like the policy? Write e-mails, letters, make calls, let Disney know you are not happy with the policy." I think that is what you should do. Never said don't give feedback. My whole issue with this thread from the outset has been that it started as, I have a constitutional right to privacy, morphed to a Ben Franklin quote taken out of context and is at its core really not unlike many issues over the years that people don't like. I am by no means a Disney apologist and do not believe that they can do no wrong. I am however a realist and understand that changes happen and while I can voice my displeasure they will more than likely make the change anyway.

I am almost 59 years old and in my lifetime I have experienced a lot of change, a lot of which I did not like, but after years of raging against the machine I have come to the conclusion that I can control certain aspects of my life, and not control others. I then choose whether to continue visiting, participating or being a part of the things that have changed that I cannot control. In this case I choose to continue to spend my vacation dollars at WDW. When I can no longer stomach the changing policies I complain and eventually it bothers me enough and I stop going. I don't view things in a conspiritorial manner. It just is what it is.

If you are in a restaurant and your food isn't cooked, do you not say anything because it isn't the waiter's fault? The front line people are the front of the line and they do report their experiences to their superiors.

No, I ask to speak to the manager or the chef. I don't complain to the waiter for a problem they didn't create and cannot control. And if I want to make sure my complaint is heard, I don't put the burden on the frontline worker to remember to later pass my comments along to the appropriate people and to accurately portray what I said.

This has zero to do with defending Disney's policy.

I think the policy is just security theater. They are just glancing. What does that do? In addition, I believe it puts guests in an uneasy position while on vacation. I don't want to be disturbed while showering, changing, or napping. I especially don't want my daughter, who's old enough to go to the room by herself, bothered. It's intrusive.

Unfortunately you are wasting your time trying to explain what you mean. There are a few people on this board that put Disney on a pedestal and take any criticism against Disney personally.
Please don't deign to know what I'm thinking. I don't care if it's Disney, or Comcast, or Walmart, or Doctors Without Borders. There are ways to handle complaints of express your displeasure. Arguing with the person performing the act you don't like generally isn't one of them.

They need to check on my room? Fine, they can wait until it's not occupied, and I am free to tell them I disagree with their entry while I'm there without interfering with it. Not only am I free to, I should, and so should everyone else that disagrees with it.
We are all free to tell someone performing their assigned duties that, and even why, we disagree with their action.

We're also free to use the security latch on a hotel room door. While most of us are aware it can be overridden, there is not one. single. report. of any CM actually doing it.
I completely agree with what you are saying here. Make your displeasure known. I said that in my post "Don't like the policy? Write e-mails, letters, make calls, let Disney know you are not happy with the policy."
Exactly. Even telling the CM once face to face makes sense. Continuing the confrontation does not.

Last edited:
That's really not the point though. The point is that these room checks are at best a useless nuisance and possibly a disruptive nuisance that serves no practical purpose. The worst thing in such a situation is to let them do stupid things because fighting for the right thing is inconvenient. It's attitudes like that and people who espouse them that make city, state and federal governments able to make sweeping cuts at privacy and liberty in the name of trumped up fears. Never give in to something wrong because you can't be bothered to stand up for your right to privacy and peace. If you do, then don't come crying to anyone about it when they take the next step.

Matt

I never said to not let your feelings be known on the matter. Fighting with the person sent to do your room check helps nothing. They have no more power to change the policy than the man on the moon. If the policy bothers you, you have to let the right people know. Your housekeeper or the person sent to your room for the check are not those people.

I also wouldn't put what Disney does on the same level with what the government does. It is very easy to avoid a Disney resort if any of their policies bother me. Can't really avoid the government.

No, I ask to speak to the manager or the chef. I don't complain to the waiter for a problem they didn't create and cannot control. And if I want to make sure my complaint is heard, I don't put the burden on the frontline worker to remember to later pass my comments along to the appropriate people and to accurately portray what I said.

This has zero to do with defending Disney's policy.

But who are you asking? The waiter. They serve you the food and typically check to see how your meal is. You can ask the waiter to speak to the manager or chef right away, but I bet they will still ask you what the problem is. Why wouldn’t you tell them so they can get the appropriate person to make it right for you as soon as possible? That is part of their job. They are there to serve you.

But who are you asking? The waiter. They serve you the food and typically check to see how your meal is. You can ask the waiter to speak to the manager or chef right away, but I bet they will still ask you what the problem is. Why wouldn’t you tell them so they can get the appropriate person to make it right for you as soon as possible? That is part of their job. They are there to serve you.

It is fairly easy for a waiter to make things right with a meal. For a policy like this one, the person passing along that you are upset can do nothing for you at that time. And honestly, it probably goes something like this: Picture 2 CMs talking to each other. "Yeah, we have another guest mad about the room checks. Like I can change the policy".

I know where I work, there are many things people can complain to me about. And many of them I have no control over. And my passing along that someone is upset has less impact than if the guest lets the corporate office know. They take guests that take the time to complain to them much more seriously.

I never said to not let your feelings be known on the matter. Fighting with the person sent to do your room check helps nothing. They have no more power to change the policy than the man on the moon. If the policy bothers you, you have to let the right people know. Your housekeeper or the person sent to your room for the check are not those people.

You're just wrong, you really are. Telling them does something, yes it's something small, but it does something. You shouldn't just sit down and be quiet because it's easier, which is exactly what you advocated. You should tell them, politely, make sure they know. I have CM friends, I have friends in many industries and they do pay attention to constant feedback, especially Disney. To think otherwise is naive, and also your post came off as somewhat condescending and dismissive of that poster's concern and discomfort, which is why I called it out. You don't see a problem with the policy? Don't complain, but don't tell people who do have a problem that their best option is to just take it.

I also wouldn't put what Disney does on the same level with what the government does. It is very easy to avoid a Disney resort if any of their policies bother me. Can't really avoid the government.

The point was that the attitude of "it's not really that big of a deal, I'll just give in" is incredibly dangerous, and short sighted. Just because it's easy doesn't mean it's right, and advocating that other people should also adopt that attitude is, in my opinion, poor form. In my opinion, you're wrong to just roll over, and you're especially wrong to tell other people too, that is part of the problem.

Matt

Sure. People should fire letters/emails to all the bigwigs. But they should also let the front line workers know how they feel too. After all, those bigwigs are going to ask the heads of housekeeping, “Are people complaining about our policy?”They could very well say no, if nobody speaks up right then and there to the maids and only writes a letter.

There is a chain of command. If you’re bothered by something you should let the housekeeper know so that the information can trickle up as well as down.

It is fairly easy for a waiter to make things right with a meal. For a policy like this one, the person passing along that you are upset can do nothing for you at that time. And honestly, it probably goes something like this: Picture 2 CMs talking to each other. "Yeah, we have another guest mad about the room checks. Like I can change the policy".

I know where I work, there are many things people can complain to me about. And many of them I have no control over. And my passing along that someone is upset has less impact than if the guest lets the corporate office know. They take guests that take the time to complain to them much more seriously.

Pass on your concerns at the top. Pass them on at the bottom. It may or may not help, but it can’t hurt.

Pass on your concerns at the top. Pass them on at the bottom. It may or may not help, but it can’t hurt.

Pass along at the top. The people at the bottom can do nothing. I guess the difference is between complaining to complain, and complaining in the hope that something will change.

Pass along at the top. The people at the bottom can do nothing. I guess the difference is between complaining to complain, and complaining in the hope that something will change.

Of course they can. They can tell their superiors. Their superiors can tell upper management. Change may not happen, but it’s short sighted to simply say, no. The people at the bottom can’t help you.

Of course they can. They can tell their superiors. Their superiors can tell upper management. Change may not happen, but it’s short sighted to simply say, no. The people at the bottom can’t help you.

Again, it is much more effective to go as far up the chain as you can to start with. It has much more of an impact than a complaint that is passed up the chain. A name and a personal complaint sticks much more. Make someone who has some power deal with you as an individual.

Given that there are no reports of CMs disengaging a U-latch to enter a room, does anyone have experience with how long a CM will continue to knock when the latch is engaged? For people who don't want to be roused from naps, would "playing possum" until the CM leaves because s/he assumes you are sleeping through the knocking be less disruptive to your nap than getting up to answer the door? Just a thought. I'm not a napper but I sympathize with those who are.

Please don't deign to know what I'm thinking. I don't care if it's Disney, or Comcast, or Walmart, or Doctors Without Borders. There are ways to handle complaints of express your displeasure. Arguing with the person performing the act you don't like generally isn't one of
What are you talking about? I didn’t reply to you, I didn’t quote you, in fact the poster I replied to wasn’t even replying to you.

Completely anecdotal but....

About a year ago we made a process change at work that my customers did not like. They would complain to me and I would bring it up every week in our staff meeting, every day to my manager and monthly at our area meeting. This went on for months and nothing. Four months ago my manager had a couple on site meetings with customers. Each one mentioned their unhappiness with the change and within 2 weeks it was reverted. :headache:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter