• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

An open letter to Disney about mandatory room checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what happens if you are either sleeping and do not want to get up to answer the door, or are in the shower and do not hear the knocking but your door is latched? Do they just keep pounding until you open up or come back later? Or flip the latch and let themselves in anyway? I sleep naked and if they are knocking on my door I am not getting up to get dressed and open up and let them in at that time.

So what happens if you are either sleeping and do not want to get up to answer the door, or are in the shower and do not hear the knocking but your door is latched? Do they just keep pounding until you open up or come back later? Or flip the latch and let themselves in anyway? I sleep naked and if they are knocking on my door I am not getting up to get dressed and open up and let them in at that time.

From what I have read reading this and other threads on the subject, if you do not answer the door someone will call you on the phone notifying you that someone from security will be over and will expect access. Whether or not you answer the phone someone from security will be knocking on your door.

Reports VARY but there have been reports of CM's knocking incessantly until they are let in, so that has been occurring, but not always.

There have NOT been reports of CM's Flipping open the door latch although it can easily happen by using a stiff piece of paper or thin card stock. You can google this and find videos on how easy it is to do. No special tool is needed to bypass the door latch.

If you do not open the door CM's can use their key to open the door lock. If the LATCH is engaged the door will open a couple of inches and CM's will be able to see inside the crack.

There is concern that someone will be in the room when a different family member is outside the room (for example at the parks or the food court) and the latch will not be able to be used because the family member will need to get back in the room when the person in the room is sleeping or in the bathroom, etc.

Some people posting here are annoyed that people are concerned that these room incursions are occurring. They believe that if people would just use the latch then every problem would be solved. They can not conceive of the complications that occur when not everyone is currently in the room and the latch can not be used to prevent CM's from using their key and coming in the room.

There have been reports of CM's entering the room when people are sleeping and entering the room while people are in the bathroom. Some CM's checking the room walk all the way into the room and check the bathroom. Others do not.

There has been an instance where a sleeping "princess" was in the room and the parent was told to stay outside while the CM went into the room to perform the room check. A complaint was made to the resort management about this behavior by the CM.

There have been reports posted of CM's doing multiple room checks during a single day and doing an additional room check after housekeeping has serviced the room.

There also seems to be a trend that using the Room Occupied sign accompanied by declining housekeeping has triggered a room check by CM's.

Some people posting here think that people reporting their negative experiences or opinions with these room checks are exaggerating, making stuff up or seeking attention. They become triggered when people post their concerns or experiences and seek to belittle or demean their concerns.

There have also been reports of people not being aware or not experiencing any room checks. They tend to be out of the room for extended periods of time and do not decline housekeeping.

There are reports of people posting here requesting that room checks NOT happen during certain periods of time (for Example during afternoon rest times) and having the request be ignored. Sometimes however this has worked.

Some people posting here claim not to care about the issue yet they keep returning to this issue to post that they can not understand why other people care. That mystery remains forever locked in their minds.

There are reports that CM's are telling people that they can request a period of time not to be disturbed but that this is not always happening and that people are still disturbed. Sometimes however this has worked.

So what we seem to be seeing is that the implementation of these room checks is all over the place. There seems to be a disconnect in communication between the room check CM, the Guest and what CM's are telling people about what they can ask for regarding these room checks.

We do not know why Disney is doing these room checks. Speculation has been posted concerning the prevention of a mass shooting to Human trafficking concerns. We still do not know why these checks are happening and we probably will never know.

Disney is not informing guests that they are actively checking the rooms and making an effort to check each room daily. Gone are the days where you could put the Do Not Disturb sign on the door and expect that to be honored. Guests are required to let CM's in the room to perform these room checks.

Housekeeping service of your room counts as a room check but the possibility exists that additional checks may occur that day. Some Guests are reporting success with asking that the room check be conducted later, other guests are not having success with this request.

Finally,
DVC guests are reporting that sometimes the CM doing "Trash removal" as the "room Check" is not in fact removing the trash, others have had their trash removed.

~NM

Last edited:
Ninja Mom

My response to Lilsia was short because I didn't want to overly scare them. But after reading your response I have concluded that what you wrote should be shared with the world. EVERYONE should know about this. A day or so ago I searched YouTube and only found one or two traditional media pieces on this new Disney Policy. Does anyone know a well known Disney YouTuber who can get this info out? Or know of a video already created that could be shared on Facebook etc? How do we share what is going on? How do we get a well marketed message out? I shared my concerns here because of the concentration of Disney folks here. But this needs a much wider distribution. Any ideas anyone?

Ninja Mom

My response to Lilsia was short because I didn't want to overly scare them. But after reading your response I have concluded that what you wrote should be shared with the world. EVERYONE should know about this. A day or so ago I searched YouTube and only found one or two traditional media pieces on this new Disney Policy. Does anyone know a well known Disney YouTuber who can get this info out? Or know of a video already created that could be shared on Facebook etc? How do we share what is going on? How do we get a well marketed message out? I shared my concerns here because of the concentration of Disney folks here. But this needs a much wider distribution. Any ideas anyone?

I think we are just going to have to let the world learn about this as they actually experience it. Only a small percentage of people that go to Walt Disney World read these or other message boards. If I were staying in a Disney resort room I would definitely invest in new underwear and hit the gym to tone up a bit.

~NM

Ninja Mom

I actually do think this was bigger news when it first came out that it was happening. As with anything, it has died down considerably.

My own thoughts - I'm not discounting anyone's experience as I wasn't there to dispute it. But I, personally, feel that if there were many instances of recklessness with room checks, opening latches, harassing, etc., there would be way more out there on social media as you are discussing.

It's still a somewhat new policy. Perhaps kinks are being worked out and that's why reports are dying down. Perhaps they aren't performing these checks as much as they were. Who knows.

But the reality is it's happening. You weigh your options. Is it worth is to you to stay in a WDW resort hotel and chance that you may be disturbed while you are napping? Or do you stay off-site? That's pretty much it.

Yes, there are some like me, who will keep their daily housekeeping and most likely not be bothered by this at all. Or if I'm in the room for some reason during the afternoon and security stops by, I'll just let them in.
There will be others who won't stand for it and stay somewhere else.
Either choice is just fine.

I'm not sure it's responsible to present as fact what is really just anecdotal evidence. No need to alarm happy-first trip planning people of something that in all reality most likely won't affect them. They have enough to worry about with fast passes and ADRs! :)

Last edited:
I think it's important to put perspective on some of the reports. Not doubting what did or didn't happen. The most egregious reports were back in January when the policy was brand-new and (quite obviously) hadn't been rolled out with training or standard processes. There have been very few negative reports more recently, other than instances where a nap was interrupted by a knock. Mistakes were made but it does seem as though they are getting it better now.

I think it's important to put perspective on some of the reports. Not doubting what did or didn't happen. The most egregious reports were back in January when the policy was brand-new and (quite obviously) hadn't been rolled out with training or standard processes. There have been very few negative reports more recently, other than instances where a nap was interrupted by a knock. Mistakes were made but it does seem as though they are getting it better now.

I understand your point. But does that justify our lack of not spreading the word knowing Disney isn't being transparent about this policy? Shouldn't people visiting Disney be aware "before" going to Disney that this is going on? The bottom line is Disney is putting their eyes into our rooms when we are there whether we like it or not. Spinning this security check as an improvement in housekeeping is pretty darn underhanded, in my opinion. That is why I asked if we had others on here who might have a handle on letting the world know about this policy. I feel it is the right thing to do. I don't think Walt would have done it this way.

The world knows about the policy. It was announced on the Disney Parks blog, it was covered by all of the major Disney travel fan sites, and it was discussed on this and other Disney fan message boards, on Facebook Disney fan pages, and other social media. It even made it into the travel press and mainstream media. It's been out there for several months.

The world knows about the policy. It was announced on the Disney Parks blog, it was covered by all of the major Disney travel fan sites, and it was discussed on this and other Disney fan message boards, on Facebook Disney fan pages, and other social media. It even made it into the travel press and mainstream media. It's been out there for several months.

That is an interesting perspective Lynne. You do understand that is a very Disney sided policy that the world currently knows about. But the perspective from the guest point of view has potentially a different point of view if they understood that Disney wasn’t just improving housekeeping.

How can anyone now going to Disney consider themselves informed when they don’t tell you the impact of their new policy? They simply don’t tell you. They won’t share with you why they have taken away the do not disturb signs and replaced them with Room Occupied signs, for example. There are many other more examples we have all seen.

My conclusion is just accepting Disney’s point of view isn’t all the world should know about.

I don't think any Disney fan site means a thing to the average guest and most people are not going to remember a one off announcement on mainstream media about this policy that was made months ago.

I understand your point. But does that justify our lack of not spreading the word knowing Disney isn't being transparent about this policy? Shouldn't people visiting Disney be aware "before" going to Disney that this is going on? The bottom line is Disney is putting their eyes into our rooms when we are there whether we like it or not. Spinning this security check as an improvement in housekeeping is pretty darn underhanded, in my opinion. That is why I asked if we had others on here who might have a handle on letting the world know about this policy. I feel it is the right thing to do. I don't think Walt would have done it this way.

This policy is well known to Disney folks. I am a member of multiple pages on FB and the topic was discussed incessantly. It is not being discussed much now and I have to think it is because for the most part there is no need. I am not discounting any of the anecdotal stories I have read, but I do tend to agree that DIsney CM's have been learning how to better implement the checks. The over achievers have probably been "coached" after management was notified of inexcusable behavior by angry guests. As I said, most people are not going to be oaky with room checks while they are sleeping or otherwise engaged, nor will they be okay with any of the other intrusions that we did hear about.

The social media posts were being shared and shared and shared, so if you had any friends on your FB feed you could get the info out, and people did, and they did, and they did some more. I seldom see anyone discussing them any longer. Are the CM's still doing room checks? I bet so, but they are not the intrusive ones people are nervous about.

Disney has give us notice that they will enter. We knwo that there have been some terrible mistakes. Now it is up to every individual if they want to go anyway. I do. If I find that my family is negatively impacted we will simply not return. Will my decision bother Disney? I doubt it but it will make me feel better.

That is an interesting perspective Lynne. You do understand that is a very Disney sided policy that the world currently knows about. But the perspective from the guest point of view has potentially a different point of view if they understood that Disney wasn’t just improving housekeeping.

How can anyone now going to Disney consider themselves informed when they don’t tell you the impact of their new policy? They simply don’t tell you. They won’t share with you why they have taken away the do not disturb signs and replaced them with Room Occupied signs, for example. There are many other more examples we have all seen.

My conclusion is just accepting Disney’s point of view isn’t all the world should know about.

There are a whole world of people that do not use the internet for their vacation plans .. a whole older generation taking their grandkids .. I DO think people should get a non Disney version of events ..

There are a whole world of people that do not use the internet for their vacation plans .. a whole older generation taking their grandkids .. I DO think people should get a non Disney version of events ..

I am one of the "older" generation with a 16 YO DGD and I honestly do not know of many in my generation who are not on social media. My DH is one who is not and he told me about the policy because it was splashed all over the news. The disney pages on FB had a lot of critical discussion but that has died down IMO. I do not know why.

When something is security driven businesses (not just Disney) won't share all of their reasoning with the public. To me it is not much different than them having plain clothes security in the parks. Disney doesn't tell guests ahead of time they are there.

Also, it the room checks are clearly stated in the Terms and Conditions of guests's reservation. It is there to see, if a guest would care to read it.

Some people posting here are annoyed that people are concerned that these room incursions are occurring. They believe that if people would just use the latch then every problem would be solved. They can not conceive of the complications that occur when not everyone is currently in the room and the latch can not be used to prevent CM's from using their key and coming in the room.

~NM

Most, if not all, complications with the latch can be worked around. I get it is not fun or relaxing to have plan around a possible room check, but it is doable.

Most, if not all, complications with the latch can be worked around. I get it is not fun or relaxing to have plan around a possible room check, but it is doable.

This is the only one I am going to wonder about. I have a 16 YO DGD and we have never worried about her in the room alone. On our upcoming trip we will have her Aunties, so I almost doubt she will ever stay alone as she is plannign to be their guide, however if for some reason she does need to be in the room she will need to latch the door. I would not want to be any CM who opened that door on her, and I would not want to be the manager who has to deal with her father, grandfather, and her Godmother, ( my godchild, who I ahve only seen use her "official" face one time, andnever want to see again) so I want to avoid that scenario completely.

I just got back from a trip (4/6/18 - 4/14/18) where my daughters High School Marching/Concert band performed. There where several band families like ourselves that made the trip down. Guess what, most of them had no idea about this policy. I do the vacation planning, my wife and daughter are on social media, heck my wife belongs to way more groups on Facebook than I do, and she had no idea. The policy is not well known outside of certain fan groups. On my trip we had housekeeping and I had no encounters with security checks, and honestly I wouldn't have even known that this policy existed if not for Disboards. But, in my opinion Disney needs to make this clear when booking a stay and when checking in. A blurb in fine print that they reserve the right to enter your room at anytime is not stating fact, which is that Disney "will" enter your room daily for a security check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter