• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

An offer too good to pass up...?

Greg K.

Happy DVC Member, DIS Vet, and Catholic Deacon
TriState camera here in Manhattan is offering the Nikon D50, with a 28-80 Nikor lens, for $568.

This may just make buying that sucker irresistable... :woohoo:

i would go for it i payed £459 / $820 for mine 2 weeks ago but i have so fallen in love with it

Charade said:
I wouldn't get the 28-80 (to short of a range IMO). I would go with the 18-70 or an 18-200 (Sigma).

18-200 Sigma
http://www.tristatecamera.com/looka...ords=18-200&search_method=all&manufacturer=55

You can read purchasing experiences here

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2622.html

I sort of think the lens range is too limited, as well ...

As for the purchasing experiences: I would be buying from the store directly -- it's just a short cab ride from my office -- not online or over the phone, so I wouldn't have to contend with shipping problems. B&H is also a serious possibility, but for a significantly higher cost. We shall see.

I'm looking at my options ... :magnify:

You can get this exact combo for $582 from BUYDIG, they are a very reputable online company that gives free shipping and NO SALES TAX. They are not high pressure sales of baitNswitchers, they offer you some access and you can simply say NO.

You can also get the camera alone for $529, so buying the combo is like paying $53 for that lens.

either get the 18-200 Sigma or get the kick butt 18-200 VR Nikkor (double the price but also double the 'pleasure' tee hee).

28-80? The wide is not wide enough, the tele is not close enough.

Greg K. said:

17 reviews on SMARTER and 76 reviews on RESELLERRATINGS.

And I think it is kind of funny that they only have 17 reviews and if you check the dates the reviews were posted. 12 of those 17 reviews were posted during a 9 day period and as many as 4 on a single day. And then they only get one review since??????
Sounds like somebody created multiple accounts to raise the rating.

Yeah, that's one reason why I don't trust anyone except Reseller Ratings. Their staff go after bogus accounts very quickly and remove them.

Like I said, unless you can walk into the store and walk out with it for that price, I would stay away. That being said, I personally wouldn't shop there even if I were able to get a good deal. I'd rather shop somewhere that I know I will get repeat good service, over and over. I'm personally very happy with Adorama and B&H.

I just purchased a D50 from Canoga Camera. They have the body for $519 & packages with the 18-70 lens. One of the few places I could find that bundled that lens. I was very pleased with their service. I ordered a wrong item on their website called them up & they changed it no problem. Item was shipped the same day. They also sell a similar bundle on ebay which I saw at times for around $860.

djh96 said:
I just purchased a D50 from Canoga Camera. They have the body for $519....

How'd you arrive at that price? I just checked, and body only is $570.

I was seriously considering the Konica/Minolta 5D with 18-70mm lens, until the "deal" with Sony was announced last week. Not sure what direction Sony will take with the K/M mount (I have a ton of Maxxum glass) so I'm reevaluating my choices. I'd have to say that right now, the Canon Powershot A610 or A620 look like very good cameras for the money, although they *are* P&S, not DSLR.

~YEKCIM

Okay. I'm convinced. I'm gonna pass on this offer.

I'm a B&H kind of guy anyway. They never disappoint. :thumbsup2

I have time...my next WDW trip isn't until the summer, so I can continue to troll the web, and the stores, and see what else pops out at me.

YEKCIM said:
How'd you arrive at that price? I just checked, and body only is $570.

I was seriously considering the Konica/Minolta 5D with 18-70mm lens, until the "deal" with Sony was announced last week. Not sure what direction Sony will take with the K/M mount (I have a ton of Maxxum glass) so I'm reevaluating my choices. I'd have to say that right now, the Canon Powershot A610 or A620 look like very good cameras for the money, although they *are* P&S, not DSLR.

~YEKCIM

If you pull up the d50 body only , it says add to cart for reduced price. $514. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter