An Inch shy of 44 inches

dakotix

DIS Dad #852 from Central Massachusetts
We're taking our 4 1/2 yo in a couple months. Right now (with shoes) he's about an inch shy of being able to ride Space Mtn. This kid lives for roller coasters and there are plenty for him to choose from this time around. Should we even try to get on Space mtn? Its not a big deal if he can't and we've already explained to him that he isn't tall enough. But i am wondering how strict the height guidelines are enforced? I know its a safety thing and we would never try to force the issue. I'm just curious.

Going to depend on the CM at the rides. They can single out children for measurement at their discretion. I've seen some CMs measure every child that appeared to be in that height range, while other CMs would only measure the obviously shorter children .

Exactly this. It’s hit or miss but I’ve heard kids are tallest in the morning :tongue:so go right there if you want a chance! (No idea how accurate that is!!)

The kid can have 3 inch platform shoes on but they'll make you take off any type of hat that's for sure. I have never seen a child that was not to the line allowed in. I have seen lots of crying kids who couldn't go on though.

Last edited:

I used to work at Space Mountain and we had to be VERY strict about the height requirement. If a child's head did not touch the measuring stick, they were too short no matter what the parents said or how close they were to the stick. I often had parents get irate and claim that another cast member let them on before and that the child already rode it, but as a cast member who's #1 rule was safety, it was my responsibility to enforce rules that parents would always try to circumvent. I say all this to say, be prepared to be turned away if your son is not 44 inches during your visit.

We're taking our 4 1/2 yo in a couple months. Right now (with shoes) he's about an inch shy of being able to ride Space Mtn. This kid lives for roller coasters and there are plenty for him to choose from this time around. Should we even try to get on Space mtn? Its not a big deal if he can't and we've already explained to him that he isn't tall enough. But i am wondering how strict the height guidelines are enforced? I know its a safety thing and we would never try to force the issue. I'm just curious.

They are very strict. I wouldn't even try a ride he is too short for. You don't want to waste time and end up with very unhappy little one to boot.

They are very strict. I wouldn't even try a ride he is too short for. You don't want to waste time and end up with very unhappy little one to boot.
Yup that's what I was thinking too that if we try and they don't let him on it'll wreck his day.

Just go to the front of the line and speak with a CM about being measured. No point queuing up only to be told no! So just go in and check with the CM's. Incentive to eat well and sleep a lot! ;o)

They are VERY strict. If you’re taking a too-short child in there knowing he’s too short for the safety guidelines, you sort of are forcing the issue.
Forcing the issue is making a big deal out of it and complaining while there. I was simply asking the question. Kids grow at a crazy clip at his age and he very well could be tall enough when we go. I don't usually pack a measuring stick with my vacation gear.

I used to work at Space Mountain and we had to be VERY strict about the height requirement. If a child's head did not touch the measuring stick, they were too short no matter what the parents said or how close they were to the stick. I often had parents get irate and claim that another cast member let them on before and that the child already rode it, but as a cast member who's #1 rule was safety, it was my responsibility to enforce rules that parents would always try to circumvent. I say all this to say, be prepared to be turned away if your son is not 44 inches during your visit.
Thank you! Yeah we'd never give a cast member a hard time over something like this. But it's good to know their head must touch the measuring stick.

I'd disagree with being "VERY" strict. We've seen varying levels of checking from CMs. While you certainly couldn't put your son in 3" heels (though it may make for a funny picture...LOL), you can definitely try to make sure he has shoes with thick and firm soles and make sure he stands nice and tall (not on tippy toes, but not slouching at all). We did this with both of our twins when they were right at the edge of height. They had sandals with a thick bottom and stood tall, and were able to just touch the bar.

in 2014 we brought my 6 year old twin boys,they are very short for their age. I measured them and they were maybe 1 cm too short for EE and after waiting in line we were denied access. It was our first trip and we didnt know about rider swap so even my daughter that was tall enough didnt get to go on the ride. I have learned alot since then. Just my experience.

Yep....

Or go full '70s...

PIMP02B_9.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter