An Asian Disney and Universal Adventure - Trip Report COMPLETED 6/23

Not sure if anyone has said this yet ;)... those photos are stunning!

I can't wait to see Day 8 - 12 as we'll be headed to SDL in a few months. We're also thinking about going to Zhujiajiao one of the days. I'll be interested in how you got there (a tour group or on your own (we're leaning towards the later)) and, of course, seeing what gorgeous pictures you got!

Not sure if anyone has said this yet ;)... those photos are stunning!

I can't wait to see Day 8 - 12 as we'll be headed to SDL in a few months. We're also thinking about going to Zhujiajiao one of the days. I'll be interested in how you got there (a tour group or on your own (we're leaning towards the later)) and, of course, seeing what gorgeous pictures you got!

Thanks for the lovely compliment about the photos - glad you are enjoying them!

Yes I'm super excited to get to the Shanghai portion of the trip too! How exciting for your trip to Shanghai!

If you are heading to Zhujiajiao I would encourage getting a guide. I'm not sure there is any public transport to the area - it's about an hour out of Shanghai and I'd imagine a taxi would be expensive! Plus the place is a labyrinth of small shopping lanes and waterways and a guide really helps you discover the best of it, plus can explain to you the history and cultural aspects of what you're seeing. We had a private guide and car for the day and it was totally worth it!! We used Sophie from China Panda Tours and I cannot recommend her highly enough! She was so knowledgable - so friendly, her English was superb and she just made our day so much more memorable, so I'd encourage you to check her company out! We actually booked through a company called Shanghai Highlights who she contracts to, but she has started her own company. It's not a group tour so you can keep your own pace as well. Plus it helps with the language barrier which is more accute in a small place like Zhujiajiao.

Here's the link to her trip advisor page - the company is new and I don't think she has a website yet, but all her contact info is there and as you can see all her reviews so far are 5 star!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...379619-Reviews-China_Panda_Tour-Shanghai.html

Day 6 - Part 1 - Lines and Smog, welcome to Hong Kong

We rested for most of day 6, my foot needed it. We also found Betadine in Hong Kong which I was able to put on the sore to heal it quicker! We had a wonderful relaxing morning, although we were a bit worried as we looked out our giant window at the fog/smog that seemed to have settled over the city, as we had plans to visit Victoria Peak that evening, and we didn't want to be able to see nothing of the city from up the peak.

I had also heard the lines for the Peak could get really long (like crazy long) and I had wanted to pre-book them but I couldn't work out where. I figured if we headed up late afternoon we'd arrived before the main crowd wanting to get up in the evening. We got a little lost on our way to the closest MTR station (we went to one that didn't connect with the stop we wanted) and ended up walking through a fairly local neighbourhood. It was quintessentially Asia with small local hole-in-the-wall type shops and restaurants, markets and run down buildings. The area felt so foreign to me, it was the first time, on this trip, that I really felt like we were in Asia, in the way I've always imagined Asia to be in my head. So many cities look so much alike, even with their unique features you are still in a city and it's a fairly comfortable feeling, but Hong Kong felt so different in that regard, especially on this little detour of ours. I wish we had gotten to spend more time there at the markets or eating the local food, it felt like the right kind of place to get lost in, but unfortunately we had plans so we moved through quickly.

Anyway, we finally arrived at the Peak Tram station and saw the line!! Ok, no matter what you do, if you want to go up the Peak (and this dingy little TRAM line originally built in the Victorian era is literally the only way up) pre-book your tickets! As we arrived and saw the line Jared did some google magic and found where you could pre-book them (oops, planning fail!). We decided we weren't going to wait for 2 hours just to buy a ticket, and luckily we saw that if you purchased a ticket with a pass to Madam Tussauds at the Peak you could skip the ticketing line - so we did! It was a lot more expensive but at that point we didn't care. Then, as we were joining the line to get on the tram we discovered that our Octopus cards (a type of pre-paid train pass that could be used on the MTR that we had bought) could have been used to get up the peak! Oh well, live and learn! This is a classic example of why planning for a holiday is so worthwhile, and what can happen when you don't (I was bitterly reminded my own lesson this day!).

Anyway, it took about 30 minutes to get on the tram, and even then we were standing. There were rivets in the floor, and I wondered why at first, and then we started to climb to the peak and I worked out why. The rivets helped those standing from literally falling backwards into other guests. There were also rounded hand rests on each chair and you had to hold of for dear life if standing as you made your way up. I believe the elevation was about 27 degrees, which doesn't sound that steep, but felt like 60 degrees while you were on the tram.

Jared managed to (somehow) snap a few shots on the tram, and as you can see, the weather did not look good! We were a bit worried we'd spend all this money and wouldn't be able to see anything!

When we got to the top the weather still looked too hazy for good views, so we decided to eat dinner. We were a little depressed at this point, as the fog/smog had plagued us since arriving in Hong Kong and we kept hoping it would let up, but to no avail. We had entered the peak building, which is a strange mix of a tower and shopping centre with a viewing platform on top. In was narrow but very tall and there were a million floors (ok maybe not a million but a lot). We headed to the top floor before The Peak viewing platform and we decided we'd grab dinner and choose Bubba Gump Shrimp Co, as we could see they served meat. I'd never actually eaten at one before. I loved the concept of the signs to let your waiter/tress know if you were ready to be served or now. At this point we were still depressed about the weather, wishing it would clear up but knowing we didn't have another day to come back to the Peak (nor did we want to deal with the Peak Tram again) so we just decided to suck it up and hope there would be a decent visibility tonight. We headed up to The Peak viewing platform, called Sky Terrace 248, which was included in the price of your tram ticket, for the view.

Visability was not the best it could be of course, but we were surprised by the views that we had, you could see all of the Hong Kong island buildings and the beginnings of the Kowloon side on the mainland. It wasn't perfect, but it was way better than we thought. Luckily, the lights lit up the mist and allowed us to see much further than we had done before dark!

The platform was packed with people! And I've never seen so many people taking selfies in one place before either! Jared tried to get a picture of it but it didn't really work, so I don't have that to show you.

When we were done with Sky Terrace 248 we headed over to the Lions Pavillion, another lookout area on the ground level up the Peak.

There were still people everywhere (hence the blurry ghosts in all these long exposures) but not as many as up Sky Terrace 248, though it was a smaller area and couldn't handle the capacity of Sky Terrace 248.

When we were done taking photos we noticed it was 7:45, only 15 minutes before the Hong Kong Symphony of Lights show was about the start. Other photographers were setting up their tripods at the lookout, so we decided to wait it out to see if we could see any of the show....

I wanted to take this picture of our city, Perth and Hong Kong (a nice juxtaposition, though Perth will never be anywhere near as big as Hong Kong!)

As it turned out, you could barely make out that the show was going on once it started, as all the lights were shown on the front side of the buildings on the harbour. The only thing we could see was the building with the diamond shaped lines changing colour occasionally, and a few flashing lights on the building next to it.

So, it turned out it wasn't worth waiting for the show from that angle, but we couldn't have known so live and learn!

Continued in Next Post...

Last edited:
Day 6 - Part 2 - Wax and Wackiness Pt 1

Anyway, we had bought tickets to Madam Tussauds to save 2 hours waiting in line, so we decided we'd better use them. We always have a great time at Madam Tussauds, we aren't shy about having wacky pictures with the "stars" as you'll see. Ironically, the ended up being one of the highlights of the evening, because the place was practically deserted, we didn't have to fight throngs of people or line for ages for anything, and it made us laugh and relax and have a good time!

Very excited to meet Benedict Cumberbatch, I mean Bandersnitch Cucumberpants, or was it Buttercup Cumbersnatch! All I know is I love him, he's an amazing actor and his name is so funny!!

Jared was decidedly more reserved about the meeting

And Johnny Depp judged us the entire time!

It always amazes me how short I am compared to Hollywood types, here I am with Nicole Kidman - another Aussie who clearly ate more vegemite than I as a kid!

Jared found a piano and of course he had to play it!

We then found ourselves at Buckingham Palace and I somehow got an audience with the Queen and Prince Philip. I tried looking appropriately sombre!

And then I decided to steal her throne! mwahahah

I call these two the succession of Rachelle Kathleen Beaney the first, Queen of Australia, and the United Kingdom (yep, Australia will come first when I am queen, sorry UK!)

I don't think Liz liked that and I'm fairly certain I'll be sent to the Tower sometime soon.

Though I think Jared is going first, he tried to steal the crown jewels (I'm pretty sure she's now thinking damn those Aussie Convicts)

Princess Di on the other hand was very demure and graceful

From Buckingham Palace to the White House, Jared tried to get President Obama to stop smiling and answer his damn phone (it's for you)

This was when he continued smiling (you'd have thought he was made out of wax or something) and so Jared decided to take the call himself (fine, i'll take it)

And this was Jared indicating that this guy never does his own work!

And he looks awfully relaxed now, feet up on the desk!

This seemed an appropriate pose for a picture with Ghandi

I was then able to give Shakespeare and good telling off (I believe, as Blackadder once put it "that's for every school boy and girl for the next 500 years!)

A few corrections for him!

Jared and Einstein found time to think together, perhaps with Jared's help he will work out time travel along with his theory of relativity. I want to go see some Dinosaurs so I hope this works out well!

Yep, Jared did that to Marilyn! Not cool Jared!!

I enjoyed Breakfast at Tiffany's

No idea who this guy was but I thought the scene capture Hong Kong well

And then Jared really made Bruce Lee mad, and found himself at the wrong end of one of Bruce's famous moves!

The aftermath

To lighten the mood I went to a club and tried my best to impersonate Michael Jackson (I'm pretty sure I failed!)

Last edited:

Day 6 - Part 3 - Wax and Wackiness Part 2

A quick training session with Ali proves that I am not the greatest!

And Jared proves that even short people have big dreams (though if you are going to be effective playing defence against this guy you'd probably better dream yourself taller Jared!)

It took all Jared's effort to jump and reach the ball the guy is holding, and his arms are not even full stretched!

Here Jared simply looks like a hobbit!

I even got to meet the creater of it all, death masker to the French royal family, Madam Tussaud herself

I wonder if she ever thought a technique she originally used to capture death would one day be used to capture life!

On a lighter subject, I was soon Rocking and Rolling with the King

And dancing with the other King, you know of Pop not Rock!

I then met my favourite 4 British subjects (I think at this point I still thought of myself as Queen, I mean I did sit on the throne).

And Jared joined the band, doesn't he look every bit the 5th Beatle!

And surprisingly partial to George!

At this point I thought I had enough experience to sing some back up for Tay-Tay, but I'd imagine it would last, I'd want the spotlight before long :P

Since I was wanted back at Buckingham Palace I thought a bodyguard might be a good idea, and I found the best one there is!

Jared, on the other hand, was trying a little too hard with Iron Man and I don't think we convinced him that protecting us was a good idea!

Just as I was thinking if Jared had claws then we wouldn't even need a guard, looks like he grew some!

[

But it really doesn't hurt to try get in the Hulk's good graces just in case!

I always joke that when Jared's hair is messy it looks like Astro Boy's, so we decided they should have a picture together.

And that ended or wacky trip through Madam Tussauds Hong Kong. Like I said, we get really silly with it, I apologise for all my terrible sarcasm above, it just seemed the best way to describe the silly things we say to each other when at a Madam Tussauds!

Anyway, once we were done we were exhausted and wanted to head home. We thought perhaps at 9pm the tram line may have gotten shorter, but nope, it still looked about 30 minutes (I'd say at a safe bet it's always 30 minutes, if not longer). We were in line and had moved a considerable way when we saw a taxi and we decided to hop out of line and grab it, when someone beat us to it (lots of angry emoji's here) so we had to hop back in line at the start again! It moved quickly, which was good, but I was still grumpy. It seemed odd to me that with how popular the peak is, that they didn't have a better system of transportation, or at least an alternative system. And the fact that taxi's rarely seemed to make it up the peak (and there was no taxi stand that I could see) seemed equally perplexing! Surely at such a big tourist spot taxi's would always find fares! Anyway, we were lucky enough this time to get a seat on the tram and the return journey was uneventful. We later discovered Sky Terrace is open until midnight, and we noticed barely any people on the tram going up the peak at 9:30pm, so if you are a night owl and want to avoid lines without booking I'd suggest this is a good time of evening to go.

On our walk back to the hotel from the MTR we decided to shot a little bit of the Hong Kong streets we were walking though. They were so vibrant at night, colourful and well lit, but they also show a bit of the run down nature of a lot of Hong Kong that in part gives it it's charm and in other parts makes it seem a little less impressive than somewhere like Shanghai.

The car in this picture was a taxi, and in Hong Kong all taxi's are exactly the same make and model of car (a Toyota) that look about 30 years old (even though I could tell some of them weren't as they had LED headlights etc). Toyota must make this particular model, perpetually stuck in the late 80's/early 90's, on the cheap specifically for Hong Kong taxi's - but it was so weird!

As I say all that I've noticed the taxi in the front of the line of taxi's in this next picture is not a Toyota and looks different (this would have been an anomaly I'm sure) - but you'll notice it still looks like a 30 year old car!

And that ended our first day in the city of Hong Kong. Honestly, we hadn't had the best experience of Hong Kong. It was extremely busy, nosy, dirty and seemed old and rundown. Still, it had a charm to it and an energy that was un-deniable. We may have judged it a little poorer due to the constant dreary smog that was always around, though I believe this is common about 6 months of the year. Still, it was probably our least favourite of all the cities we visited, though we'd find some redeeming qualities on our next day of exploration.

Last edited:
Thanks for the lovely compliment about the photos - glad you are enjoying them!

Yes I'm super excited to get to the Shanghai portion of the trip too! How exciting for your trip to Shanghai!

If you are heading to Zhujiajiao I would encourage getting a guide. I'm not sure there is any public transport to the area - it's about an hour out of Shanghai and I'd imagine a taxi would be expensive! Plus the place is a labyrinth of small shopping lanes and waterways and a guide really helps you discover the best of it, plus can explain to you the history and cultural aspects of what you're seeing. We had a private guide and car for the day and it was totally worth it!! We used Sophie from China Panda Tours and I cannot recommend her highly enough! She was so knowledgable - so friendly, her English was superb and she just made our day so much more memorable, so I'd encourage you to check her company out! We actually booked through a company called Shanghai Highlights who she contracts to, but she has started her own company. It's not a group tour so you can keep your own pace as well. Plus it helps with the language barrier which is more accute in a small place like Zhujiajiao.

Here's the link to her trip advisor page - the company is new and I don't think she has a website yet, but all her contact info is there and as you can see all her reviews so far are 5 star!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...379619-Reviews-China_Panda_Tour-Shanghai.html

You can take a cab from Shanghai to Zhujiajiao for about $25 each way... the bad news is, most of the taxi's in Zhujiajiao stay in Zhujiajiao. So it's tough to find a cab to get you back out! lol You can try to get the cab driver to wait, but the language barrier might make that a challenge.

I tried searching for "China Panda Tours" but that's tough to search for without getting a ton of actual panda tour results. lol The tripadvisor link did have a lnk to Sophie's site, so I will contact her to see what we can do! We'll transfer from Disney to the city in the morning and would like to do something later morning to the evening.

Thank you for the recommendation!

ETA: There is also a bus route to Zhujiajiao, but I'm not sure we're that brave lol The language barrier might put that one out of reach.

You can take a cab from Shanghai to Zhujiajiao for about $25 each way... the bad news is, most of the taxi's in Zhujiajiao stay in Zhujiajiao. So it's tough to find a cab to get you back out! lol You can try to get the cab driver to wait, but the language barrier might make that a challenge.

I tried searching for "China Panda Tours" but that's tough to search for without getting a ton of actual panda tour results. lol The tripadvisor link did have a lnk to Sophie's site, so I will contact her to see what we can do! We'll transfer from Disney to the city in the morning and would like to do something later morning to the evening.

Thank you for the recommendation!

ETA: There is also a bus route to Zhujiajiao, but I'm not sure we're that brave lol The language barrier might put that one out of reach.

Interesting to note, we didn't do a lot of research into ways to get there ourselves. One thing we did notice though that the language barrier was a huge issue with cabs in China. We had all our hotels printed out in Mandarin, so we could show the drivers where we wanted to go and this was still sometimes not successful (I wonder if literacy might be a barrier as well). We'd get there eventually, but it was hard going. I think you'd probably find it hard to communicate what you want and where you want to go if you catch the cabs.

Yes, like I said I'm not sure she has a website yet, which is why the trip advisor link. And yes, googling her is hard I recently discovered :) Otherwise try googling Shanghai Highlights, they are the company we originally booked through and do a great job as well.

If there is a bus to Zhujiajiao I'd say that would be more effective than the cabs, in that you don't have to communicate where you want to go, but yes, language is a barrier with public transport that isn't trains in Asian (the train systems are very easy to use and find your way around on!). :) :)

Reactions: DLo

Day 7 - Part 1 - Peace and
Tranquillity

Hi all, I apologise for the delay in updates the last week and a half. As I think I mentioned earlier we moved house and packing and moving and unpacking and it's been taking up all of my time and energy! I am please to say we have now got everything sorted and unpacked (I hate living with boxes everywhere for months and had to get it sorted right away) and we are LOVING our new house up in the hills of Perth (big block, lots of trees, swimming pool - it's an amazing place!) so I will be back on board with more frequent updates :).

Anyway, we left off with our first day in Hong Kong city, and we didn't have that great an experience. Our second day, I'm please to report, was much better. We started it off with lunch at a little Italian place across the road from our hotel. It was authentic Italian food too, because we met the chef and had a lovely chat with him about our travels, and his! He had forgotten to put the truffle oil in Jared's pasta (the best part of the dish) and rushed out with a thousand apologies and then we enjoyed a lovely chat! He had been to Australia so enjoyed telling us all the places he'd visited, including Perth surprisingly (no one ever comes here - I don't really blame them - it's so far from everything!).

Today we had decided to explore a bit more of traditional Hong Kong and we were off to two temples, Wong Tai Sin Temple and the Chi-Lin Nunnery and Nan Lian Gardens. The first temple we visited was Wong Tai Sin, a local Taoist temple that was named for a legendary Chinese figure Wong Tai Sin who was said to have healing powers.

The first thing that struck me about the temple was just how colourful, intricate and beautiful it was! Chinese architecture is completely flamboyant and over the top but somehow still manages to remain sombre and reflective. We really felt this reflectiveness at the temple. It was very busy, in that there were plenty of people around, mostly locals worshipping, however the place was extremely peaceful and calm, which to us was a lovely change of pace from the craziness of the peak the day before.

One of the most interesting things about these Hong Kong temples is how they are enclosed by the modern city all around, yet still feel so ancient, closed off and calm. It's like the busy city moves all around but the temple grounds kept their own pace.

This section of statues of the different animals of the Chinese Zodiac was very cute - i had a picture with mine - the Tiger :)

We tried not to be loud or intrusive in the main area of the temple, there were a lot of worshippers and we wanted to be respectful, but it didn't seem like people minded that we were there taking pictures.

These lanterns were one of the my favourite aspects of the temple

Just check out the detail on the building in the back here - so colourful and intricate!

We sat for a while by this lotus fountain, it was a lot quieter in this section of the temple and the water was very calming and relaxing.

The Lion, I learned in Shanghai, is a powerful guardian, they always come in pairs and protect the entrance to things. This Lion, with the cub under her foot is female and the second Lion will always be a male with an orb under his foot.

I'm pretty sure this was a statue of Wong Tai Sin, for whom the temple was named

Last edited:
Day 7 - Part 2 - Old and New Hong Kong Collide

We continued on to the Chi-Lin Nunnery. I'd didn't realise the Buddhist's had Nunnery's (had no idea that's what female monks were called) so was a bit confused by the name of this place. However, upon arrival it didn't matter what whether the place was a temple or a nunnery, it was just so beautiful and peaceful you didn't care! Right in the middle of the city, and even less hidden from the tall high rises around it, Chi-Lin was a sanctuary of peace and reflectiveness, and though it was surrounded on all sides by modern Hong Kong it really felt like stepping back into a bygone era.

Unlike the Taoist Wong Sin Tai, Chi-Lin was must more reserved, architecturally speaking, but still every bit as intricate. Apparently Buddhist temples are not colourful, and in my opinion resemble the plain style of Japanese temples a little more than the traditional Chinese temples. The woodern structure was plain, but also beautifully carved, and the bonsai trees and little ponds so beautiful!

See in the corner of this picture how the 'real world' looms over the Nunnery, it's such an interesting juxtaposition!

These little ponds, with the Lotus', were so beautiful!

Chi-Lin Nunnery was definitely a great place to escape the hustle and bustle of the city and enjoy some peace and calm for a while. It's neighbouring garden, Nan Lian, was just as beautiful and just as peaceful...

Last edited:
Day 7 - Part 3 - a walk in a Chinese Garden

Across the road from the Chi-Lin Nunnery sits it's gardens, maintained by the Buddhist Nun's from Chi-Lin, Nian Lian. The Garden is a very traditional Chinese garden in every way, and is beautiful, peaceful and tranquil! We spent a good 45 minutes just strolling around it and I could explain the feeling of being in the garden, but hopefully my pictures will help do that for me.

This cool waterfall held a window into the restaurant behind, which was unfortunately closed when we visited. A very interesting idea for a window!

Once again, in the gardens, you were obviously surrounded by the city of Hong Kong, but also in some ways, completely separate from it!

As you can see, we couldn't get enough of photographing this stunning garden! Chi-Lin Nunnery and Nan Lian Gardens were definitely the highlight of our visit to Hong Kong and highly recommended for anyone visiting.

Last edited:
Day 7 - Part 4 - Symphony of Lights

After our trip to old Hong Kong we had decided we'd end our day with a bit of the bustling city port that is new Hong Kong. The city puts on a lights show on a whole pile of it's buildings on the Hong Kong island side of Victoria Harbour every evening (I believe there are also buildings on the Kowloon side of the harbour that participate too, but not as many). We had booked a Symphony of Lights cruise on the harbour to see the show. The show began at 8, and we were on the boat at about 7:30 and off on the harbour. Victoria Harbour is a really beautiful place to spend some time. The city is all around you, as are the lights of Hong Kong's high rises which are pretty spectacular. Of course the stupid smog that was even worst this evening was dampening our spirits a little but it was still very beautiful.

However, it's not a great spot from which to see the Symphony of Lights show. I think there are something like 47 buildings that are part of the show, and our cruise had us too close up to the Hong Kong Island shoreline to be able to appreciate the show as a whole experience. Instead we saw snippets from whatever part of the shoreline we were close to as we travelled along. In hindsight I wish we had booked the cruise before the show, to enjoy the harbour, and then watch the show from the cruise terminal in Kowloon, which had a great wide view of the Hong Kong island shore line.

Still it was fun to see, if not all that impressive (it's no World of Colour people). I do have to give Hong Kong credit for coming up with something like this. How many cities could convince individual businesses and government offices to pay to make their office headquarters light up and flash in time to music, however that's what Hong Kong have managed to do! The spirit of cooperation and the themes of the show really highlight how proud Hong Kong is of it's heritage and it's unique East meets West culture.

As I now understand (though it wasn't clear to me when we watched the show), there are five scenes:

• Awakening, symbolising the genesis and powerful growth of Hong Kong
  • Energy, which signifies Hong Kong's vibrance
  • Heritage, which uses a lot of reds and golds to showcase Hong Kong's rich cultural traditions
  • Partnership, which connects the two sides of the Harbour in greater unity and partnership (I'm guessing these symbolises the partnership between Hong Kong and mainland China too)
  • Celebration, which is pretty self explanatory I think!
So we didn't really see any of that! Like I said, we didn't get the full scope of what was happening, only little snippets on whatever buildings we could see from where we were in the harbour. Perhaps it would have made more sense if we'd seen it from the Kowloon side of the harbour, and I think this is the best way to experience the show!

Anyway, enough rambling, here are the pictures:

There were a number of these gorgeous traditional Chinese junks on the harbour! I wish we'd booked one of those (ours was just a generic siteseeing ship).

Here's the back of our ship

Heading towards Hong Kong island

The show had begun here. As you can see we were in front of a nice little cluster of buildings all with some kind of lighting for the show, but this was only a very small section of what was lighting up up and down the coastline

The lasers were cool, but I reckon you'd have been able to appreciate all of them better from the other side of the harbour. There was at least one good element to the smog that haunted our visit to Hong Kong, it made the lasers very easy to see and very photographable (not a word I know, but it should be!)

We were a bit further back when we saw a few more of the lasers and search lights

The show was done by this point and we meandered up the harbour to the more residential areas before heading back to the city

The other thing that was strange is that the lights that appear during the show pretty much stay on all the time, they just flash and maybe change colour during the show, and some lasers are added. It makes the show not hugely different from what you see of the city at any time at night! The picture below, for example, was taken well after the show had finished.

While it wouldn't have been a great night for it because the fog was effecting viability so much, it would have been nice to have been on solid ground on the Kowloon side of the harbour, rather than on a rocking boat, so we could have taken a few long exposures of the show. These last two shots were such photos taken after we got back to the cruise terminal.

As you can see (or perhaps not see), everything was very dark thanks to the fog, but you could see more of the participating buildings from the other side of the harbour.

And so ended our time in Hong Kong. I'd say it was probably my least favourite of all the cities we visited on the trip (which could be unfair thanks to Chinese New Year crowds and the weather) but we did definitely enjoy a lot of elements of our stay in Hong Kong (especially Hong Kong Disneyland).

The next morning we had to be up at 4:30am to catch our flight to Shanghai, and soon we would be on our way to the new Shanghai Disneyland! I was so excited about seeing an almost brand new Disney park it was easy to get up so early....but more on that in the next post...

Last edited:
Day 8 - Part 1 - Disney, shiny and new

As a pre-amble to the start of the Shanghai Disney section of the trip report I warn you, it's going to be long! I have about 655 photos just of the park (at Toy Story Hotel) to share, and a lot to say about the park. Because it's so new, and there is so little information out there I feel like this might be a public service. Additionally I also know that you may get bored so feel free to skip if you want! For my part I hope everyone is excited to see some of Shanghai Disney, because of how new it is and because of how unique it is very any other Disney castle park world wide! So if you are excited to come to Shanghai Disney with me I promise it will feel like you are actually there :P :P!

Back to the report - our flight, as I mentioned earlier, was early and we left the hotel at about 5. My notes here say simply this "flight quick, taxi long!' (i.e. the taxing the plane did when it landed at the airport). Shanghai airport was huge but also extremely minimalist, I was surprised such a major city had such a "meh" looking airport (for lack of a better word). There is only one terminal! In a place as busy as Shanghai. Hong Kong and Singapore had three terminals, and trains between them! It just surprised me I guess.

I was a little worried as we landed as it was cloudy and smoggy and I thought, great, the dementors have followed us here too! Still we were on our way in no time towards Shanghai Disney so I couldn't be too sad (I guess thinking of Disney would be my happy thought to produce my patronus - sorry, no more nerdy Harry Potter references I promise!).

When we arrived in our taxi at Shanghai Disneyland (which in itself was a trial trying to get the taxi driver to understand where we wanted to go - we even had the name of the Toy Story Hotel, where we were staying, printed out in Mandarin and it was a struggle but we eventually got there), I was surprised by how un-enclosed the area is. There were a few factories, a lot of industrial roadway and things that can be easily seen from inside the resort. There were all not many trees yet blocking the berm of the area and the views into these very un-Disney parts. I think Toy Story Hotel, being slightly more removed from the part, was worse. Also there were trees, but they were deciduous (a bit of a dumb call if they were meant to block the view of the industrial area surrounding the park).

The Toy Story Hotel was fun, bright and vibrant in the style of the value hotels at Disney World. Still I wish we had paid the $200 extra, or whatever it was, and stayed at the Shanghai Disneyland hotel, simply because it was a little better enclosed in the Disney bubble, which Toy Story was more open to the real world.

Check in was quick at easy, and we were ready to get into the park in no time.

But before we could enter the park we had to eat, and we were excited to learn there was a Cheesecake Factory at Shanghai Disney's Disney Town (our favourite American chain restaurant!). We headed there excited to eat fried cheese (a delicacy hard to find in Australia, so terrible I know!) and of course cheesecake, and as we sat down to eat our lunch we got the devastating news from our real estate agent that the second offer we'd had on our house had fallen through! We needed to sell our house to buy the one we just moved into (so obviously you can see where this is going since we did end up moving) but it was so frustrating to learn we'd need to have more home opens, and that it would need to be while we were away and our poor house sitters and my parents would have to handle it for us. On the up side, our poor house sitters and my parents would have to handle it so at least we didn't have to go through the drama of making the house presentable again!

Anyway, cheesecake and the thought of Disney cheered us...

and we headed on into the park...

I hadn't been that excited about pictures I'd seen of Mickey Avenue. I didn't like the cartoonish vibe that took away from the sincerity, gravitas and old world charm of the classic Main Street. Of course, I didn't love it as much as Main Street but Mickey Avenue surprised me a lot! The train station, which I thought I'd hate, I really liked. I enjoyed getting the sneak peak of the castle through it's middle entry way. I thought it would ruin the reveal of the castle as you round Town Square, but this castle is so huge I don't think a reveal like that would ever work! I thought I wouldn't like the cartoon embellishments on Mickey Avenue but they were fun and whimsical, colourful and not to overbearing. Sure the area is kitschy, but in China that somehow worked! And there was a wonderful level of detail in the whole area which added to my enjoyment of it (it was already winning over Hong Kong Disneyland's cheap version of Main Street).

We were so excited to discover that as we were heading into the park at about 2:15pm ish the parade was on, and Mickey Avenue was a ghost town! I got so excited and rushed around taking photos of the empty area!

If there had been blue skies I think this would have been the perfect introduction to Shanghai Disneyland! As it was it was pretty much perfect anyway! We found a Photopass photographer and got some great shots with the castle behind us and nobody else around (though, like I said, the mists surrounding us that day made everything a bit less brilliant)

The Photopass photographers at Shanghai Disneyland were incredible! I've never seen so many animated Photographers, with so many pose suggestions, who seem genuinely about to use their (and others) cameras! We really enjoyed using our Photopass Plus at Shanghai Disneyland and it was incredibly easy to use!

The other thing we noticed was how far away the castle was from Mickey Avenue. Mickey Avenue is very short, compared to other Main Streets, and the Gardens of Imagination (Shanghai's hub) is huge, dwarfing the castle and making it look less overbearing as you enter the park.

Anyway we were onto our next stop and enjoyed the parade as we wandered towards it....

Where did we go next you ask? Well I'll simply say "yo ho yo ho, and a bottle of rum" :)

Last edited:
The Toy Story hotel looks super cool...I can't wait to see more pics from Shanghai Disney!

Yes the Toy Story Hotel was fun, very bright and colourful; and it had the cutest effect in the elevator... I'll try post a video of that a bit later. There are plenty more Shanghai Disneyland pictures to come!

Did you use photo pass at all the Asian Disney parks?

There is only a PhotoPass Plus at Shanghai Disney - Tokyo Disney doesn't really have PhotoPass - they do, but you rarely see the photographers and the website is only in Japanese and really impossible to work out when you need to download the pictures and I didn't see any PhotoPass photographers in Hong Kong, so I'm not sure they have it there, though of course I could be wrong, I didn't do much research on PhotoPass in Hong Kong

Last edited:
There is only a PhotoPass Plus at Shanghai Disney - Tokyo Disney doesn't really have PhotoPass - they do, but you rarely see the photographers and the website is only in Japanese and really impossible to work out when you need to download the pictures and I didn't see any PhotoPass photographers in Hong Kong, so I'm not sure they have it their, though of course I could be wrong, I didn't do much research on PhotoPass in Hong Kong

Thank you for your reply, I encountered the same problem whilst researching for Tokyo Disney.
We love using photo pass at WDW, it's a shame they don't have a similar thing.

We have trip a trip to Tokyo next month so I'm eagerly following along.

Thank you for your reply, I encountered the same problem whilst researching for Tokyo Disney.
We love using photo pass at WDW, it's a shame they don't have a similar thing.

We have trip a trip to Tokyo next month so I'm eagerly following along.

The good news about Tokyo Disney re getting photos of your whole travel party is that the CMs are so friendly they will very willingly take pictures for you. On our first trip we had a very friendly sweeper follow us around from land to land taking pictures! I kid you not! In addition the Japanese guests will be just as willing if you ask (you really just need to gesture to your camera and they get it) - plus they all seemed to really know how to use our proper cameras!

Tokyo Disney is incredible, you are going to love it! Be prepared for crowds though and get there at least an hour before opening each day to be ahead of crowds and use fastpass efficiently (get a new one as soon as you can etc - it's a paper fastpass system as I'm sure you are aware) - the Japanese really know how to get the most out of their time at the park and many do the same, but it still puts you ahead of some of the crowd

I hope I get to the Tokyo section before you leave! If not I guess you can read when you come back and see if it compares

I'm grateful you're enjoy the reporting and following along

your pictures are AMAZING!!!

I just hope that what I am trying to get a picture is actually in the frame and not too out of focus so I can actually recognize it later on when I go back to see what I got

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter