An Asian Disney and Universal Adventure - Trip Report COMPLETED 6/23

Day 1 - Part 8 - The Classic Safari Adventure Tour, starring Nur

After Creatures of the Night finished we headed out to our private buggy for our tour with Nur. Now we didn't realise that we would be the only ones on the private buddy, the website hadn't mentioned it being a completely private tour. Nur advised us that that is mainly because sometimes they do need to take more than one group through on the private buggy's but for the most part they try and make the tour completely private.

And with that information we headed off into the safari. The first stop (and yes unlike the main tram we actually got to stop at the exhibits while Nur explained a little about the animals we were seeing) was the Lions. In keeping with the amazing streak of luck we were having with the big cats at Singapore Zoo we again saw one of the girls pacing and very active. Nur explained that the zoo uses different incentives to get the animals to come into the forefront of the exhibit and to be active during the night hours. In this instance the zoo keepers had put a fake dead buffalo in the front of the enclosure and this lioness was extremely curious about it!

Eventually she lay down with her fellow lions but it was great to watch her wander for a while

We pulled up next to the Asiatic Black Bear enclosure next, but didn't stop long as we did a U-turn to stop at the Leopard Trails walk that would take up the majority of our Night Safari Tour. We did get this one picture of the bear, who looked so fluffy I wanted to (irrationally I know) cuddle him!

The start of the leopard trail was beautiful, covered in animal outlines lit up with fairy lights. It was at this point that I explained to Nur that I am like a moth when it comes to pretty lights, I can't stay away, so we had to stop and take pictures of all the prettiness. Once again, he thought that was funny (I guess I am weird in a funny way)

One of the first animals we came across was the Bintarong, or as I was now calling them, my tree cats. We watched them for quite a while, just sitting in their trees and it was here Nur explained a lot of things about Civets that I cannot remember (because I didn't write them down) except that their prehensile tails can kill a man, and that they can hang from a tree like a monkey with them. Later on we saw more civets (I don't have pictures of them) but land dwelling ones. The land based civets actually fight their predators and have scents they use to do this, while the tree ones don't need to because they live in trees (I'm pretty sure Nur explained it much more succinctly than that)! Apparently the land dwelling civets are pretty strong and in a fight against a Python will take down the Python about 50% of the time. Not bad for a cute fuzzy looking bear cat type animal.

We also ran into the Leopard cat, the DNA ancestor of the Bengal domestic cats. My brother in law has one so we had to take picture for him.

I believe we also saw some porcupines (scary creatures up close), badgers and otters along the way, but I have no photos of them. We also entered the enclosure of an elusive flying squirrel, who we only saw briefly at the outer edge of his enclosure before we decided to move on.

Speaking of flying flapping things, Nur had asked me earlier in the walk if I had an aversion to bats, and I told him that I did, so when we arrived at the next enclosure he offered for me to skip it. For some reason I decided to be brave and we entered the enclosure of a number of large fruit bats. I have no problem with bats when they are just sitting there, hanging from their branches (they look like tiny little dogs with pointy cat ears, but upside down). However as soon as the bats started flapping around my head I was a little jumpy, and these bats were HUGE, just check out the comparison of the bats to a regular sized banana!

This owl was very tricksy and used all 270 degrees of head tilt to try and get away from our camera. Luckily we got one picture of him! It's worth mentioning at this point that the enclosures were so dark we had to have our Tamron lens (non-zoom lens) on so we could use it's lower apertures to get decent shots in the half dark. As a result we couldn't get pictures of every enclosure, some were just too dark or the animals too far away!

I was trying to remember the name of the below creature so I looked up the Night Safari Leopard Trail animals and discovered it's just literally known as a Golden cat, no wonder the name didn't stick!

Last up were the leopards. We don't have any pictures here because of how dark it was. The Leopard was the exception to the run of great luck we had with big cats at the zoo, it was pacing but out of site and only when we left the viewing window did it show itself. We saw it a little from another viewing window but not very well. It was at this point that Nur proceeded to explain to me the different between leopards, panthers and jaguars, all of which are basically the same thing to me. Apparently it's not to do with colour (I always thought of Panthers and Jaguars as black and Leopards as gold and spotted but apparently they can be black as well). I think he told me that leopards and panthers are tree dwellers, where as Jaguars dwell on land, and the a jaguar will have a squarer strong jaw (they can apparently bite off a crocodiles head if need be). This made me realise that Bagheera from the Jungle Book must have been a panther, because he could climb trees, I always thought he was a jaguar (a quick google of the Jungle Book confirms he was indeed a panther!). Sorry for the random side bar but I figured as its Disney related it would be allowed and accepted here :P. What the difference between a leopard and a panther is I don't know though, so I have a better grasp on this concept but not a completely well educated one (at least Nur helped me learn something that evening!).

After the leopards we headed back out to the main tram route and were back on the tram. We headed past some more African animals and then to the Hippo enclosure, where we stopped because a keeper was out to feed the hippo.

The keeper then proceeded to shovel hay towards the Hippo who opened his mouth to expose the scariest looking teeth I've ever seen. I can imagine now why they are the most dangerous animal in Africa when provoked. The scariest part is that the hippo enclosure had no fence, bars, glass anything, it was just about 2m lower than the main tram road! Check out this guys mouth (I'll call this picture "Give me noms")

We headed onto the White Lion enclosure after this, however he was sleeping - and didn't look overly white to me. Apparently they are whiter than your average lion but not white in the way a white tiger is white. This particular lion apparently came from Kruger, and was quite anxious when he first arrived, pacing and only sleeping 6 hours a day instead of the 16 he should be! So seeing him sleeping was a good thing, according to Nur.

Also in the African section was where I learnt fascinating fact of the day number two (the first was that civets existed!). I discovered Hyena's aren't dogs, but more closely related to the cat family! I always thought they were dogs! Perhaps that's why Scar had so much control over them in the Lion King (hello my distant hyena cousins, do my bidding etc etc).

After this it was just a lot of deer and antelope. A LOT of deer and antelope, until we reached the Elephants. Apparently the only difference between deer and antelope, Nur informed us, is that one lives in the forest (deer) and one lives on the plains (antelope). Other than that they are basically the same - and somewhat the same to look at as I'm sure many of you who have been on Kiliminjaro Safari's at Animal Kingdom know.

The Elephants were also a bit far away, but beautiful to watch as we zoomed past in our buggy (it was getting late at this point). The last two things we saw were a little more interesting. The first was Nur's favourite creature in the whole night safari, an unimpressive looking Asian bison (basically a fancy word for cattle). They were not much to look at (and as a result I have no photos) but Nur informed us that they could run at 40km/h for up to 45 seconds which makes them the greatest of all animals in terms of speed, and endurance. Leopards, for example, can reach speeds of around 120 km/h but only for about 8 seconds. Nur says its incredible that these bison can keep that pace for as long as they do without overwhelming their systems, which is why they are his favourite.

Our last encounter was with another big cat, a tiger (Sumatran this time) and he, like most of the big cats we saw that day, was not simply sleeping. Unlike the other big cats of the day though he didn't look peaceful, or curious, he looked ready to pounce a kill (much like my cats at home whenever the mood strikes them!). Nur advised the keeper was likely around ready to feed him. I'm not sure if the tiger wanted to pounce on the prey, or the keeper, but with that face I'd probably stay well clear of him if I was on food duty!

And with that our journey at Night Safari ended. We loved every minute of it, and were especially grateful to our guide Nur for his knowledge of all the animals we saw, and his humour and wit, which kept us entertained all evening. We asked if we could get a picture with him before leaving, and he kindly obliged - this is us just outside the exit to the Night Safari.

While the Classic Safari Adventure was about double the price of the regular Night Safari entrance costs I would TOTALLY recommend it. At $120 a person it wasn't too expensive and the value provided by our wonderful guide Nur was probably worth a lot more than that. We would have enjoyed the regular safari I'm sure but not got anywhere as much out of it as we did with such a knowledgeable and fun guide. Night Safari is a highlight of the Singapore Zoo either way though, as I'm not sure I know of anywhere else in the world with a zoo open during night hours, so it's definitely a unique experience you have to do when in Singapore.

By the time we were ready to leave it was about 10:30pm so we decided to grab a cab back to the hotel rather than try and use public transport so late at night. It was a much easier process than two trains and a bus, and wasn't too expensive either.

And that ended our first day of the holiday. We were already having a blast and loving Singapore, and were excited for the next day when we would head out to our first theme park of the trip, Universal Studios Singapore.

Continued in Next Post...

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing beautiful report love love love your shirt is it from Perth its so pretty .Cant wait next section we thought to go to Singapore from USA but so far hopefully one day We love Japan maybe next trip from there as it would break the flight up. Your husband takes beautiful photos what camera does he use ?Lover the trick Museum photos put that on list if we go to Singapore.Your hotel amazing a lot of hotels there seemed expensive when i looked we would need 2 rooms family of 5 .On our trips to Japan always book 2 rooms expensive but nessasary as hotels so small thanks again .

This looks like such an amazing trip! And you haven't even gotten to the parks yet! While I enjoy reading Disney trip reports, I like that there's other stuff too. So cool that you got to see all of this!

Hi I am joining in. Have to say the photos are amazing. I visited Asia as a kid with my family and loved the culture, visually it stayed with me and gave me the travel bug and I was only about 7 or 8 now I want to go back to see and experience Disney Asia because of your post.

Wow. This report is AMAZING! Thank you for sharing!

You're welcome - I'm really glad people are enjoying reading along

Thank you for sharing beautiful report love love love your shirt is it from Perth its so pretty .Cant wait next section we thought to go to Singapore from USA but so far hopefully one day We love Japan maybe next trip from there as it would break the flight up. Your husband takes beautiful photos what camera does he use ?Lover the trick Museum photos put that on list if we go to Singapore.Your hotel amazing a lot of hotels there seemed expensive when i looked we would need 2 rooms family of 5 .On our trips to Japan always book 2 rooms expensive but nessasary as hotels so small thanks again .

Thanks for the lovely compliment about my shirt. I actually bought it at Disney World, I think it came from Tren-D? Maybe? It was a while ago now. Singapore is an incredible place, though we felt like we didn't have enough time to do an see it all with three days so one day might mean you'd have to pick and choose what you saw. Japan is amazing isn't it, we love it! Yes most Japanese hotels are small though we found some Western ones with bigger rooms (of course they are more expensive). I can imagine it must get more expensive again with a family of 5! Jared shoots with a Canon 6D and a Tamron f2.8 24mm - 70mm lens and a Sigma f4-5.6 70mm - 300m zoom. We edit all our pictures in Adobe Lightroom as well and shoot everything RAW so we can edit the shots ourselves :). We also have a Canon 700D with a Sigma 1.8mm - 35mm lens (this is not a full frame camera though, but a crop sensor one). I think the thing about taking photos like this is no matter what camera you buy you have to learn how to use it. For night photography we use full manual mode so we can set up the shot 100% ourselves :). It takes a bit to learn how to take decent photos, but Jared learnt most of his knowledge online and if you are willing to study and learn how to really use a camera you will be able to get good shots no matter what DSLR camera you are using, provided it has a manual mode, you have a few decent lens and you can use a tripod at night :).

This looks like such an amazing trip! And you haven't even gotten to the parks yet! While I enjoy reading Disney trip reports, I like that there's other stuff too. So cool that you got to see all of this!

Thanks, I'm excited to hear someone is enjoying reading about our other non-Disney adventures. While this is a Disney blogging website, I think if you are going as far away as Asia it's important to try incorporate seeing some of the places you visit along with the parks, and I wanted to give people an idea of all the amazing things we did and saw outside of the parks. The parks are of course incredible too, but we were glad we got to experience some of Asia as well.

That nighttime safari looks amazing!

It was completely amazing, so unique!

Hi I am joining in. Have to say the photos are amazing. I visited Asia as a kid with my family and loved the culture, visually it stayed with me and gave me the travel bug and I was only about 7 or 8 now I want to go back to see and experience Disney Asia because of your post.

I'm so happy that my post is inspiring you to want to go back to Asia, and experience the Disney's there! I really wanted to inspire people to give it a go, because the parks are incredible and the culture and experience even more so! I'm glad you like the photos, we have so much fun taking them. I so understand about the travel bug, there are so many places I still yearn to go and see!

LOVING your report! I was dying at the Trick ballet photos and I can't get over the zoo. Love the orangutan log photo op, the entrance sign and every great shot you had of the kitties. The white tiger on the tree or the one about to hunt you down, just beautiful. I love animals but am not usually a zoo person. That zoo looks like an amazing place for the animals.

I mainly stopped on your report because my husband's company has invited us to China this summer and he asked if I'd want to stop by Disney. I wasn't sure because growing up next to Disneyland, disney is very nostalgic for me and I worried that the cultural difference might feel discordant to me. I love the way you talk about it and your pictures are gorgeous. They're just so well taken.

I can't wait to see your report on Shanghai. I hope you're one of those fast trip report writers. Lol.

LOVING your report! I was dying at the Trick ballet photos and I can't get over the zoo. Love the orangutan log photo op, the entrance sign and every great shot you had of the kitties. The white tiger on the tree or the one about to hunt you down, just beautiful. I love animals but am not usually a zoo person. That zoo looks like an amazing place for the animals.

I mainly stopped on your report because my husband's company has invited us to China this summer and he asked if I'd want to stop by Disney. I wasn't sure because growing up next to Disneyland, disney is very nostalgic for me and I worried that the cultural difference might feel discordant to me. I love the way you talk about it and your pictures are gorgeous. They're just so well taken.

I can't wait to see your report on Shanghai. I hope you're one of those fast trip report writers. Lol.

Thanks for reading along! I'm glad your enjoying the report! Yes the Trick Eye Museum is great to get humorous photos everyone will love (hence now you are the star of the world!). I am sometimes apprehensive at zoos - I understand their purpose and significance and am not morally opposed to them, but I want to know the animals are treated well and have a good environment to live in. I never once felt uncomfortable about the animals at Singapore zoo - it's such an amazing place!

Shanghai Disneyland is well worth visiting! Some of the attractions alone (like Pirates and Tron) make it worth a visit. You will feel the differences between it and Disneyland keenly but I think the thing that's so great about Shanghai Disney is that it's SO different from the original model that it doesn't feel like you have to compare it to Disneyland or be upset about what was missed from Disneyland - it is its own thing! I will have a few choice things to say about the Chinese crowds (we went at a particularly busy time of year though) but overall I think it's well worth a visit - there is a lot to see though so if you can spare a few days you'll probably get everything done.

I am trying to post at least a few chapters each day! It's tricky at the moment because we are moving house in 2 weeks but I want to stay on top of it so hopefully I can juggle it all!

Thanks for your lovely compliment about the photos, I'm so grateful for Jared's talented and I love to share it with others so really appreciate the positive feedback

Day 2 - Part 1 - Cable Cars and Far Away Lands

It was first theme park day of the trip!! So we had woken up early enough to get to the park 30-45 minutes before opening, but then decided we should take the cable car across to Sentosa because we probably wouldn't have another chance to on the trip. We thought the cable car was relatively close to Vivo City, but as it turns out it was almost a 25 minute walk from the hotel. Then when we arrived we found out two tickets would cost us $66!! There were some nice views from the cars, but I'm not 100% certain it was worth it. In addition, the gondola's weren't air-conditioned (what's with that in Singapore!) and when we arrived we were much further away from Universal than we would have been arriving on the Monorail, so it was another 15-20 minute walk! Well you guys decided if the view was worth the hassle!

If you are staying close to the Cable Car station it's a great way to get over to Sentosa. But if you catch the train into the Vivo City station (Bayside Station) it's not close at all and the monorail, or walking, is much faster and more logical than this. Still it was a pretty ride, even if it cost us $66 (we didn't end up doing the return trip because of how late we left Sentosa that night!)

Anyway, because of all the extra time the cable cars took up we broke our cardinal rule of theme parking (arrive early) and arrived at Universal as it was opening. Still the park didn't seem to busy, and we had express pass so we weren't too worried! I think it took us about 10 minutes to get into the park, there were a lot of people at the entrance turnstiles but once we were in the crowds didn't seeem so bad.

Our first stop was Transformers. The ride itself is the same as the US Version, but it does have the advantage of being the first Transformers, Singapore got it about 6 months before LA and long before Orlando. The wait was 30 minutes at this point but of course we had our unlimited express (a wise investment this day) and we pretty much walked straight on.

After this we headed to an attraction found only at Universal Singapore, the Battlestar Galatica Coaster - Human vs Cyclon. The coaster is a duelling coaster though the duelling part wasn't hugely noticeable, at least the first time we rode. I'm not actually sure the coasters were duelling first thing in the morning, though they were when we rode again later. We choose the human side first, skipped a 20 minute wait and hopped straight on (while 20 minutes isn't long the line was inside and it wasn't air-conditioned so I was grateful to skip it!). The human side is a regular coaster, no inversions, it was fast and fun but not too full on.

So I think I was lulled into a false sense of what to expect from the Cyclon side of the coaster. It couldn't have been more different fro the Human track, it was inverted (under the track) and had about 5 inversions (loops, spinning moments etc) and was soooo fast! Ultimately we really enjoyed both but Cyclon won in terms of the more intense and fun coaster.

We had basically skipped 40 minutes worth of lines at this point too, and didn't have to get a new locker to do both which was a real bonus (the lockers gave us an hour which we didn't need at all!)

We took some more shots of the coaster and then proceeded on, deciding it was now photo time.

Sci-Fi City was interesting, but not hugely photographic, so we didn't stay here long.

It was probably more cartoony along the lines of Marvel Super Hero Island at Universal Orlando. We headed out to the Lagoon area just past Sci-Fi City where the edge of the New York area met the water, and saw this beautiful site! A castle in Universal!!

The castle is the anchor of Far Far Away Land, the Shrek themed area of the park unique to Universal Studios Singapore. While the attractions there are mostly aimed at kids (and a nice dark ride wouldn't go astry) I really loved the area because it was so well done, and Universal's castle (as I liked to call it) held up well to Disney's castles (it wasn't quite as detailed, but it was beautiful and had a lot more too it than I expected). It really become my favourite 'icon' or 'weenie' of Universal Studios Singapore, because it's so unique to the park and so recognisable!

We were on the New York dock area taking these pictures, and there was hardly anyone around, which was nice. You may wonder why we were simply strolling about taking photos at this point. Well, we had gotten our must do's out of the way, we saw it wasn't that busy and we had Express Pass, so we wanted to relax and wander and take the park in. And so we did a loop of the park, which took no time at all because it is quite small and took it in. Universal Studios Singapore surprised me. It's the smallest of all the Universal parks (yes even smaller than LA) but it had a quality and depth too it that some areas of other Universal parks just don't have. The detail in everything was so much richer than I'm used to from Universal (except in their newer attractions and things like The Wizarding World). The park does suffer from Disneyland's problem, in that because it's so small, areas do bleed into each other a little, but for the most part it isn't jarring or thematically disjointed. Every bit of the park has been designed to take you to a new adventure destination. In that way I think it compares more with Universal's Islands of Adventure than any of the other Studios parks.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth on the park, and now for the pictures of the New York dock area.

We headed into New York next...and that's where we will pick up in the next post...

Last edited:
Day 2 - Part 2 - from New York to Egypt in 20 minutes

We headed into New York proper next. I was actually blown away by the level of detail here, and how much better it was then any other New York area I've seen at any other Universal park. We wandered through, and were surprised by how empty the whole place looked an hour after opening!

In general it was also a bit more colourful than any other Universal's New York area because it had been overtaken by Seasame Street and the Seasame Street Spaghetti Chase (more on that later). And yes, the New York main street and Hollywood main streets were covered over akin to Universal Japan or World Bazaar in Tokyo. The Hollywood section and entrance also felt cooler, as the airconditioning from the shops was blown out into the street and contained by the overhead cover.

We continued the short walk around the park to our next destination, Ancient Egypt. On the way we saw the Madagascar area, unique to Universal Singapore, Far Far Away and of course Jurassic Park.

How cute is the 'zebra' crossing!

We'd experience this attraction a bit later

The carousel was adorable!

And it was into Far Far Away. I loved this area, though I wish there was something of a little more substance in it for adults, we felt like we were always transiting through. There were plenty of gags from the movie to make you laugh in the area though (I don't really have any pictures of them though!)

Last stop before our destination!

An we arrived in Ancient Egypt. Wow is this area impressive! All of the other Mummy rides at various Universal's are crammed in with other attractions that don't fit it's theme (aka Universal Studios Hollywood) or relegated to areas they don't really fit in (like New York at Universal Studios Florida) but Universal Singapore finally gave the Mummy attraction a home which does justice to it's awesomeness! The Ancient Egypt area quickly became my favourite in the park (Far Far Away was a close second), partly because I love Egyptian Mythology but mainly because it was just do damn well done, and it was nice to see Revenge of the Mummy finally get a land worthy of it!

Welcome to Ancient Egypt!

I cannot state how impressively tall the statues were!

Then there was this walkway towards the Mummy's entrance. The whole thing honestly felt like you were on a dig somewhere in Ancient Egypt, except nothing was crumbling, and everything had already been cleaned and readied for the tourists, coming to marvel at the amazing temples, statues and carvings.

Well we were in Ancient Egypt for an obvious reason, to ride Revenge of the Mummy, so we did! With our express pass we barley waited and soon we were off trying to escape Imhotep in a battle for our souls. The ride and coaster were pretty similar to Orlando (if not the same, I can never be exactly sure with these things), though there were a few different effects (burning walls being the coolest of them). It was very different to it's other versions in one startling way though, there is no happy ending. We are trying to find the book of the dead so we can destroy Imhotep and save our souls, but at the end it just appears he got them anyway, and we are now eternally stuck with him and his mummy bandages! While the Orlando version has a hint at the end that not everything will end happily (Brendan Fraser being handed a coffee and being startled by Imhotep, who was all thought dead and gone) this version down right leaves it ambiguous to the point you must conclude you actually died and went into the afterlife with the Mummy himself! Oh well, it was a fun journey to the afterlife if that's what actually happened!

Continued in Next Post....

Last edited:
Day 2 - Part 3 - I like to Move it Move - escaping Dinosaurs and Foosa!

When we were done with our trip to the Egyptian Underworld we emerged into an over world that was stinking hot! We thought there was no better time to go on Jurassic Park and get really really soaked!

This is where our Universal Express Passes really paid for themselves because everyone else had had the same idea we did, and we skipped a 65 minute line and were on the raft in no time. Yes, I did say raft because at Universal Studios Singapore Jurassic Park is a rapids ride, not a boat ride!

So I have no pictures to show here (the camera was safely stowed for obvious reasons) but I can tell you that this version of Jurassic Park was very different, and not necessarily in a good way. It starts off very similar, with the gentle tour through the herbivore habitat, but not long after this we entered a rapids section which took us to the containment area. This area was a lot shorter, the velociraptors were part of the rapids section before you entered the containment area, which was much shorter. You see the T-Rex poking his head through the bars before entering what was possibly the best part of the attraction, an elevator up to the top level ready for your drop. The problem with the elevator (as cool as the idea was), was that as a result of moving upwards you instinctively looked up, and the big T-Rex reveal was a head poking down from the top of the elevator shaft, which you could see as you rode up and didn't have quite enough of a surprise factor to be scary. He didn't seem to have a lot of movement either, so perhaps he wasn't working properly. Still we, and the lovely Aussie couple we met on our raft, went away underwhelmed by the experience, and not even that wet! I really don't think the rafts added much to the experience here and the rest of the ride suffered to accommodate the new ride format. It's still a fun ride but doesn't hold up in comparison to the versions in the States.

Anyway, we had decided after this it was too hot, and we were too tired and we needed a midday break. Luckily, our hotel was close enough we could do this (catching the monorail to make the commute quicker) so we decided to grab some lunch and head out of the park, stopping for one more attraction on the way out.

We headed back through Far Far Away, and I had to stop for a million more photos because, well, so pretty!

Don't you love the advertising here "For all your Happily Ever After, Fairy Godmother's Famous Potions!"

Lunch was next up, at Mel's Diner, where we were able to watch the Mel's Diner girls perform out the window some classic 60's do-wop type tunes. They were awesome, and unfortunately I didn't get any pictures!

But we did stop for a few shots of Hollywood before our final morning/early afternoon destination.

And so we headed to our final stop for the time being...Madagascar, A Crate Adventure.

Yes that is a cargo ship you are seeing!

First though, a photo with Fantasic Four themselves

I like those photos of us as they turned out to be the only photos of the two of us at Universal Singapore, proves we were there and our camera didn't just take the trip on his own :P!

Anyway, we headed into Madagascar - A Crate Adventure with fairly low expectations. It was a dark ride done by Universal after all (as much as I LOVE ET Adventure, Universal has never been able to one-up Disney when it comes to dark rides). We thought we'd find a cute little boat ride with some fairly static figures and little themeing. I was surprised then to find all of the main characters were animatronics with a decent range of movement (not Disney level but then I never expected that)! Though their movement wasn't completely flawless it somehow worked because of the angular way the characters are animated in the movies. The environments were also really well done, reminiscent (in a small way) of Splash Mountain - though of course nowhere near as brilliant! Still from what we were expecting we loved this gorgeous dark ride, and would judge it the best Universal dark ride we've been on to date. There was only one scene that bothered me a little, and that was in the centre of the ride where the four main characters and King Julien dance to "I like to move it move it". Instead of using characters (which was done in the finale scene when this song was playing), Universal opted to use screens, which, for the most part, were not used elsewhere in the ride, so it was a bit jarring, especially because they didn't seem to integrate well with the rest of the ride. Still we were very impressed by this adorable attraction.

And that was that for now, we headed back to our room to rest our sore feet and enjoy the aircon!

Last edited:
I had no idea that they had Universal in other countries. I guess being more of a Disney fan I know about all their other parks. Well anyway the park looks fabulous!

I love the carousel...and the Madagascar ride looks cute.

It was very cute - a well done dark ride :)

I had no idea that they had Universal in other countries. I guess being more of a Disney fan I know about all their other parks. Well anyway the park looks fabulous!

Yes there is a Universal in Singapore, and one in Osaka in Japan. We visited both on this trip. I believe they are also building one in Beijing. We enjoy Universal a lot (Orlando in particular, it's the best) but obviously it isn't Disney. Still a day at Universal is great fun, I actually think Singapore was my second favourite of the Universal parks, after Orlando of course.

Day 2 - Part 4 - Christmas at Universal

We got back to our room at about 2pm, and we left again just after 3:30pm. It wasn't a long break, but it was just enough to have us feel refreshed for more theme parking! Plus we got to sit in the air conditioning for an hour and a half! So good!

We headed on back to Universal, with a plan in mind.

This was our plan, to experience the 824,961 light bulbs displayed in the Universal Journey Christmas display! I love Christmas lights, so I got really excited about this prospect.

How did I know how much light bulbs there were, you ask? Well, Universal told me in really big, impossible to miss signage!

The display itself was weirdly tucked away behind New York, and to get to it you had to go through what almost looked like a backstage area. Still once you were inside it was marvellous! So many lights! When we arrived at the entrance and saw this lights tunnel I was very quickly taken to my happy place.

[

Was it as good as The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights? Well no, I'm not sure anything ever will be. There were no dancing lights, no choreographed flashes to music, but the whole thing did have the same spirit as the Osborne Lights did, and it was certainly beautiful and well put together.

Exiting Universal Journey we decided to try the Seasame Street Spaghetti Chase. We had no idea what this was (what type of ride) though we could sumise, based on the franchise, it was targeted at kids. Still the wait was short and we thought we should check it out. It turns out it was an adorable little dark ride, sort of in the vain of ET Adventure (though no where near as good). For some reason Elmo charged us with saving the world from the Spaghetti coming from out of space (no you can't dream this stuff up) and so off to space we went, where we encountered the Spaghetti and bought it home to eat with Bolognese! The characters were pretty static, but it was fun! We have no pictures as we were in "can't be bothered" mode at this point.

When we were done on Seasame Street, we headed back to Madagascar to ride again. Noticed a few more static characters this time around, only the main ones had decent movement, but it was still fun.

Then we attacked all our favourites again, Transformers, followed by both sides of the Battle Star Galatica coaster (and they did duel this time) and the Revenge of the Mummy. We discovered that the Human side was faster at the back, and the Cyclon side didn't feel any slower at the front!

After all that we were exhausted again (it doesn't sound like a lot but in the humidity you really get tired quickly) so we decided to break for some Moroccan themed eats at the Oasis Spice Cafe in Ancient Egypt. It was beautiful and we relaxed here trying to drag out the time until the sun set.

We started to wander through Ancient Egypt after we realised the restaurant was closing and kicking everyone out (a full hour before close of the park).

The sun was setting, but in the wrong direction, still it was casting a beautiful golden glow over the park, and lovely shadows as well.

Continued in Next Post....

Last edited:
Day 2 - Part 5 - The sun sets over our first theme park day

From here on out we basically just wandered the park taking pictures as the sun set. We didn't really think we'd get any blue hour shots in the park, because sunset was so close to park close, but we decided just to imitate Tom Bricker (one of our favourite Disney bloggers - he never leaves before an hour after park close) and try and stick around until we got kicked out! I don't have much to say here, I think the beautiful pictures will tell the story better than I can!

This was of course one of my favourite shots from the trip, you will have seen it in the first post! The sky was looking absolutely gorgeous here!

We couldn't resist a whole lot more pictures of our favourite area, Ancient Egypt.

We proceeded onto Jurassic Park

The lights had come on at this point

We waited patiently to get this shot, with no one (basically) in the Jurassic Park entrance way!

Up next we would wait it out so we could see Far Far Away during blue hour.

Last edited:
Hello Disney Friends and welcome to my newest trip report.

If you don't know me, I'll introduce myself. My name is Rachelle and I am a 30 year old Disney lover and musician who has now ALMOST been to every Disney and Universal theme park in the world (take that bucket list - and Disneyland Paris, I am coming for you one day!). My husband Jared is my partner in crime, travel buddy and is also a musician (a waayyy better one than me :P), photographer and is an all around multi-talented awesome guy! At home we have two beautiful cats and a dog who we miss terribly when we travel!

I'm really excited to write this report because it will cover our recent trip to ALL, yes ALL the Asian Disney and Universal parks, along with some of the wonderful cities and area in Asia we visited. This includes Universal Studios Singapore, Hong Kong Disneyland, Shanghai Disneyland, Universal Studios Japan and the Tokyo Disney Resort.

If you want to read about the planning for this trip you can find the pre-trip report here. For those of you who are crazy planners like me you may just enjoy reading it. For others it might help if you are planning a trip to these Asian parks! If you hate planning are prefer to go with the flow and would suggest not reading it :P!

I really hope this report inspires some of you to make your trip over to the Asian parks. They truly are something special, unique and offer something quite different to the parks in the US. Some of the attractions, being newer and far technologically superior, are well worth the trip to see, as much as I do love the classic attractions. But above and beyond that it's fascinating to see Disney, an American culture icon, explored in other cultures and adored by other cultures, in other languages and through the eyes of people from completely different cultural backgrounds. I know Asia can be out of the comfort zone for of many of us in the Western World. Still it's history, people and cultures and so worth the unfamiliar feeling, in fact I almost enjoyed it, seeing places so different to places I know and understand.

Another thing I'm really excited to share in this report is all the wonderful photos that my very talented husband Jared (with assistance from me :P) took during our trip! Since I can only post 26 pictures in this post I've tried to pick out 26 of my favourites that give you a feel for the wonderful things we did and saw on the trip (trust me, just picking 26 was SO hard!). Don't worry though, I'll post plenty of pictures in the report too so you'll get to see lots more! We love nothing more than taking in these beautiful locations by taking pictures of them, and they really make the best souvenir to take home with you! Anyway, without any more preamble, here are my favourite shots from this trip.

I hope you enjoyed those photos, and I hope you enjoy coming on an Adventure to Asia with me!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter