• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Amsterdam Port

Also, has anyone ever gone to Arnhem and crossed over into Germany? Is it complicated to do?

And finally, IF we rent a car to do countryside things, do they have automatic? Thanks much
From Arnhem to Germany is easy, because both are Schengen, you hardy know you're crossing the border, you don't have to do anything special (your visa will be a Schengen visa, so you're allowed to cross the border). If you want to go by train, you might have to make a reservation for a specific train, as most international trains require that, you'll most likely have a German ICE train in that case.

If you want to hire an automatic car you'd have to ask specifically, you probably won't get one otherwise, but I'm pretty sure they're available (although we drive a stick, so any rental car we've ever gotten was that, so no experience with it)

Last edited:
In normal times, there are no boarder checks between the Netherlands and Germany, which are within the Schengen Zone.

However, in the era of Corona Virus, there have been some Schengen countries that have restricted or closed their boarders to even other Schengen countries.

-Paul

In normal times, there are no boarder checks between the Netherlands and Germany, which are within the Schengen Zone.

However, in the era of Corona Virus, there have been some Schengen countries that have restricted or closed their boarders to even other Schengen countries.

-Paul
True, but Netherlands/Germany is not one of them :)
There is police to discourage people from travelling for unnecessary travel, but there are no arrests or police preventing you from travel.
Like May 1st is a national holiday in many European countries, but not in the Netherlands. All the stores in NL were open, so we had Germans coming over to shop here...

The border between Netherlands and Belgium is closed, no one gets into (or out of) Belgium till at least June 8th.

And to get into Germany from Arnhem: Just follow the signs. Follow the A12 to Emmerich.

-Paul
I don't think anybody from the US will be allowed inside the Schengen area, while the borders between the countries are still closed, so on a travel/cruise forum, this is kind of a moot point

Currently there is no Visa required for most US citizen to travel to Schengen area of Europe.

In 2021, all US citizen will need to fill-out ETIAS prior to visit. It's kinda-like a Visa and will cost you 7 Euros.

https://etias.com/

-Paul

Ok we just had a press conference in NL regarding our Covid-situation: From 1 June museums can re-open again, but people have to make a reservation so museums can cap the amount of visitors and have max. 30 people at a time, who can social distance. If that goes well from 1 July this can bumped up to 100 people at a time.

Yes for Amsterdam, no for Norway

Thanks. Should I just rely on a credit card with no foreign transaction fees?

Also, anyone have any experience with private or group tours of Amsterdam or locations on the outskirts?

Thanks. Should I just rely on a credit card with no foreign transaction fees?

Also, anyone have any experience with private or group tours of Amsterdam or locations on the outskirts?
I Amsterdam you should be able to do everything with a credit card. Know that most people in Europe use debit cards, but most machines accept both. They even have the machines at markets now. Outside of Amsterdam you should also go a long way with a credit card in most shops, trying to think of places that won't accept card and I could only come up with farmers who might have their own cheese shop on property, but even those will likely accept cards. Also know that ATM's are free (your own bank might charge something though), so if you do need cash, you could get some at an ATM.
Can't speak for Norway, don't think our cruise this summer is going to happen :(

I Amsterdam you should be able to do everything with a credit card. Know that most people in Europe use debit cards, but most machines accept both. They even have the machines at markets now. Outside of Amsterdam you should also go a long way with a credit card in most shops, trying to think of places that won't accept card and I could only come up with farmers who might have their own cheese shop on property, but even those will likely accept cards. Also know that ATM's are free (your own bank might charge something though), so if you do need cash, you could get some at an ATM.
Can't speak for Norway, don't think our cruise this summer is going to happen :(

Is there is special code or PIN I need to use an ATM there? Sorry about your cruise. Like I said, we had a Transatlantic booked this September, but cancelled it because it was too uncertain. Good luck

Is there is special code or PIN I need to use an ATM there? Sorry about your cruise. Like I said, we had a Transatlantic booked this September, but cancelled it because it was too uncertain. Good luck
Ah, yes, also for shops, if you use a credit card, you need to use a PIN, so make sure you have a credit card with a chip and a pin, forgot about that. Same for the ATM, but you'll need it for the credit card anyway. Also know that American Express is not widely accepted, if you were counting on using that.

Ah, yes, also for shops, if you use a credit card, you need to use a PIN, so make sure you have a credit card with a chip and a pin, forgot about that. Same for the ATM, but you'll need it for the credit card anyway. Also know that American Express is not widely accepted, if you were counting on using that.

My experience was slightly different.

If we wanted cash out of the ATM, I had a separate card, provided by my financial advisor that had a limited amount of funds available every day, which was set up to prevent loss of a large amount of cash if my card got lost or stolen. If I used that card, it needed a pin, which the financial advisor provided, just like any debit card in the US.

If we were charging things, like hotels and purchases, we used a credit card with no foreign transaction fees and we were never asked or required to use a pin.

By the way, when you use your credit card or debit card, refuse Dynamic Currency Conversion(DCC). This is where the merchant will want to change your purchase to pay in American dollars. Avoid this. You always want to pay in local currency. Different places will use several ways to question you on this, but just remain adamant that you want to pay in Euros, or whatever the local currency is. It will save you money in the long run.

My experience was slightly different.

If we wanted cash out of the ATM, I had a separate card, provided by my financial advisor that had a limited amount of funds available every day, which was set up to prevent loss of a large amount of cash if my card got lost or stolen. If I used that card, it needed a pin, which the financial advisor provided, just like any debit card in the US.

If we were charging things, like hotels and purchases, we used a credit card with no foreign transaction fees and we were never asked or required to use a pin.

By the way, when you use your credit card or debit card, refuse Dynamic Currency Conversion(DCC). This is where the merchant will want to change your purchase to pay in American dollars. Avoid this. You always want to pay in local currency. Different places will use several ways to question you on this, but just remain adamant that you want to pay in Euros, or whatever the local currency is. It will save you money in the long run.

Awesome. Thanks

At the time, we didn't have a pin but we did have a chip and our transactions went through ok. We like having local money for back up and thankful we did in Norway, Bergen to be exact. The whole town was without credit card access. A fluke but it happened. Had we not had any krones, we would not have been able to take the funicular and make purchases in shops.

At the time, we didn't have a pin but we did have a chip and our transactions went through ok. We like having local money for back up and thankful we did in Norway, Bergen to be exact. The whole town was without credit card access. A fluke but it happened. Had we not had any krones, we would not have been able to take the funicular and make purchases in shops.

Ugh, that's unexpected. Good to know

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter