Americans on European cruises?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, but that's not identifying yourself as a US citizen and also does not make saying that you are "American" incorrect.

Again, "In some expressions, it retains this Pan-American sense, but its usage has evolved over time and, for various historical reasons, the word came to denote people or things specifically from the United States of America."

But I realize you're just not acknowledging that part of my posts.

Pretty much every country I visit when they ask your nationality, they know "American" as US American. In fact in german "Ich bin Amerikaner" is how you would say it and is known what you mean. Though I need to learn how to say "I am non-native American" in German to clarify. May get some chuckles from colleagues.

All I know is, when I traveled to Mexico, I was informed that I shouldn't ask anyone there if they had ever been to "America". So, yes, I'm picky about it.

I would say "US citizen" works for me.
I've traveled to Mexico many times. I tell them I'm American, Arizonian, or I'm a Gringo. I never say US citizen.

The midwest... I get stares when I am elsewhere and I hold the door open. Midwesterners are some of the nicest americans

On the surface. Midwesterners are great at being nice to your face. Actual relationships? Not so much. Insular is what I’d say.

Our head server on the Wonder said he preferred the Wonder over Magic because Americans were nicer and more generous. His words not mine. I'm sure the generous part is 100% accurate. Americans do tip.

IMO much of the time that's more about magnanimity and established expectation than true generosity, but I don't suppose that distinction matters much when the server is picking up his cheque.

Saying that you are a United Statesian or a citizen of the US could possibly lead to confusion with one being from the Mexico, as the official name is the United Mexican States.

My parents have travelled all over the world and they say they're from the US or from Texas. There's never any confusion.

And for someone to say to someone in France that they are a U.S. citizen might mean that they are now living in France, but in actuality, they are a U.S. citizen. Seems better to just say that you are an American. No further explanation necessary, unless someone wants to know where in the United States you reside.

When are people having all these "Where are you from?" conversations? In 4 trips to Europe the only person who has ever asked was my private tour guide in Barcelona because the tour was more customized and tailored to my interests.

When are people having all these "Where are you from?" conversations? In 4 trips to Europe the only person who has ever asked was my private tour guide in Barcelona because the tour was more customized and tailored to my interests.
Well, on our recent China trip, we were asked frequently when in elevators in our hotel. Usually by other westerners.

Chiming in a little late but I'm with Princess Schmoo. I've traveled to various countries and I never say I'm "American;" I always respond that I am "from the United States."

Chiming in a little late but I'm with Princess Schmoo. I've traveled to various countries and I never say I'm "American;" I always respond that I am "from the United States."

Good for you, but it doesn't make someone calling themselves or others from the US "American" WRONG (which was the original point).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter