Americans and Canadians culture Q&A Thread.

Canadians, you only have Remembrance Day compared to our Veterans and Memorial Days correct? I was curious if Canadians do anything for service members on our Memorial Day or if it's just an ordinary Monday like in Europe.

Not a fan of gummies no matter where they come from. 🤢

Changing the subject … how are the wildfires now? Any relief from rain?

We’re still experiencing high altitude smoke here in the Adirondacks.
Well, it is better, but even with fires in 15 locations classified as "out of control", they've managed to establish a perimeter around a lot of the populated areas and evacuees are being allowed home just in the past few days. I believe the single, major highway serving the region has re-opened. We continue to pray for more rain - you probably can't really imagine how dry it is. The fact that this fire season (sad to have such a thing) came early, before June, when most of the annual rainfall occurs, is a big reason why it escalated to these proportions.
https://www.alberta.ca/alberta-emergency-alert.aspx
Canadians, you only have Remembrance Day compared to our Veterans and Memorial Days correct? I was curious if Canadians do anything for service members on our Memorial Day or if it's just an ordinary Monday like in Europe.
:confused3Why on earth would we? It's odd that such a thing would even occur to you, Buzz. Did you have a tea party last Monday to celebrate Victoria Day? Or so something special on Family Day (February 20)? What do you do for American service members on November 11?

Canadians, how many things with a maple leaf 🍁 do you own?
Lots! You wouldn't necessarily guess we are Canadian by just walking in the door, but we have bed pillows from Super Store with maple leaves, Canada Day party supplies (paper plates, table cloths, centerpieces), books on Canada, which I'm sure have a maple leaf on them somewhere, clothing, lapel pins, temporary tattoos, flags, mugs, Beanie Babies, food packaging,...I'm sure there is more. I used to have a maple leaf soap dish and maple leaf soaps for "decorative purposes" in my bathroom. I do a lot of jigsaw puzzles and I specifically pick up ones that are Canadian inspired themes, which definitely have maple leaves on them. While not a maple leaf, I do select (when possible) red kitchen tools or other items. Again, this is not SO OVERWHELMING that anybody would really notice, but in my head, I know why certain items were chosen.

I have a D & D character who wears a bright red cloak and uses maple syrup in her magic and maple leaves are symbolic to her.

My Disboards avatar is a maple leaf, so every time I am on the Disboards, I have at least two maple leaves in my house as well.

Would I have had all of this stuff if I had remained in Canada and not lived in the US? Not as likely.

Mike Meyers once said, “There is no one more Canadian than a Canadian who no longer lives in Canada” That definitely describes me. I am the annoying person who points out Canadian artists when they come on the radio, or if someone says they like something we have, I will say, "Thanks! We picked that up in Canada!"

When we eventually move back home, I'm going to require therapy to tone my enthusiasm back a bit.

ETA: Our passports and some Canadian money also have maple leaves and I forgot about two Roots pencil cases.

Last edited:

In regards to Memorial Day...I noticed something interesting the other day that I had never seen before. (Maybe I'm just not out at the right times???) There was a veteran outside of the grocery store selling forget-me-nots for disabled veterans. I have seen poppies before, but this was the first time I had seen the blue ones. I have definitely seen the poppies being sold around Memorial Day in the past. The American flowers are styled much differently from the Canadian ones. This is what the two American versions look like:

forget-me-not

poppies

They are on more of a wire, instead of the straight pin that is used in Canada.

:confused3Why on earth would we? It's odd that such a thing would even occur to you, Buzz. Did you have a tea party last Monday to celebrate Victoria Day? Or so something special on Family Day (February 20)? What do you do for American service members on November 11?
The US does observe Veterans Day on November 11. Our Memorial Day holiday pre-dates WWI, so now we have separate days for those killed in service and military veterans in general. But yeah, it was an odd question.

Okay, I'll reciprocate...

@Buzz Rules and other Americans...how many "stars and stripes" do you have in your homes?
I honestly could't really say. I know where I'm sitting in the living room the ones in my sight are a Betsy Ross doll sewing the flag, a picture frame with my Dad's service photo, another frame with a photo of my sister and me taken at Monticello, and the folded flag from my Dad's funeral. Just out of my line of sight is the table where we have shadow boxes with my Uncle Jimmy's (killing in WWII) ribbons/personal effects. I copy of his service photo is there so I suspect there has to be a flag there somewhere, even if just the patch on his uniform. I know there's a lot more since we usually decorate the house for Independence Day (except for this year since we're celebrating the 4th in Colonial Williamsburg), but I couldn't say how many. Oh, there's also some stuff (flags, light up necklaces, and other "kitschy" stuff) on the dining room table we're planning on bringing with us when we go to CW.

Canadians, how many things with a maple leaf 🍁 do you own?

Just one. I have a glass beer mug from The Discovery Train which was a mobile train museum from 1978-1980. My father was in charge of the project and we did SO many trips through it that I got my picture in a small local paper in, I think, Kingston Ontario.

I tried to find a picture online of the mug but I couldn't find one, I think this mug may have been a limited run given out to people who worked on the train. It sits on my bedside table and I use it every day!

IMG_3489.jpg

Well, it is better, but even with fires in 15 locations classified as "out of control", they've managed to establish a perimeter around a lot of the populated areas and evacuees are being allowed home just in the past few days. I believe the single, major highway serving the region has re-opened. We continue to pray for more rain - you probably can't really imagine how dry it is. The fact that this fire season (sad to have such a thing) came early, before June, when most of the annual rainfall occurs, is a big reason why it escalated to these proportions.
https://www.alberta.ca/alberta-emergency-alert.aspx

I'm not saying Canadians celebrate an American holiday specifically. I'm asking if Canada has a second holiday that celebrates/honors veterans besides Remembrance Day. We have several in the USA besides Veterans and Memorial Days.

Last edited:
I'm not saying Canadians wide celebrate an American holiday specifically. I'm asking if Canada has a second holiday that celebrates/honors veterans besides Remembrance Day. We have several in the USA besides Veterans and Memorial Days.

No, we do not. We only have Remembrance Day which is a day of "remembrance for the men and women who have served, and who continue to serve our country during times of war, conflict, and peace." (That is a quote from Veterans Affairs Canada btw)

The States breaks up the days of commemoration between Memorial Day (Those who have died) and Veterans Day (those who have served) but Canada only has one that commemorates both.

Okay, I'll reciprocate...

@Buzz Rules and other Americans...how many "stars and stripes" do you have in your homes?
Several. I have some USA flags, I have some patriotic flag apparel that I wear on the 4th of July at our family BBQ. I usually put out some stars and stripes bunting on specific holidays. On Memorial Day and Veterans Days I wear a small American flag pin.

Last edited:
Lots! You wouldn't necessarily guess we are Canadian by just walking in the door, but we have bed pillows from Super Store with maple leaves, Canada Day party supplies (paper plates, table cloths, centerpieces), books on Canada, which I'm sure have a maple leaf on them somewhere, clothing, lapel pins, temporary tattoos, flags, mugs, Beanie Babies, food packaging,...I'm sure there is more. I used to have a maple leaf soap dish and maple leaf soaps for "decorative purposes" in my bathroom. I do a lot of jigsaw puzzles and I specifically pick up ones that are Canadian inspired themes, which definitely have maple leaves on them. While not a maple leaf, I do select (when possible) red kitchen tools or other items. Again, this is not SO OVERWHELMING that anybody would really notice, but in my head, I know why certain items were chosen.

I have a D & D character who wears a bright red cloak and uses maple syrup in her magic and maple leaves are symbolic to her.

My Disboards avatar is a maple leaf, so every time I am on the Disboards, I have at least two maple leaves in my house as well.

Would I have had all of this stuff if I had remained in Canada and not lived in the US? Not as likely.

Mike Meyers once said, “There is no one more Canadian than a Canadian who no longer lives in Canada” That definitely describes me. I am the annoying person who points out Canadian artists when they come on the radio, or if someone says they like something we have, I will say, "Thanks! We picked that up in Canada!"

When we eventually move back home, I'm going to require therapy to tone my enthusiasm back a bit.

ETA: Our passports and some Canadian money also have maple leaves and I forgot about two Roots pencil cases.
So our road trip van should have a Canadian maple leaf with American stars and stripes bunting?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter