Americans and Canadians culture Q&A Thread.

No, we do not. We only have Remembrance Day which is a day of "remembrance for the men and women who have served, and who continue to serve our country during times of war, conflict, and peace." (That is a quote from Veterans Affairs Canada btw)

The States breaks up the days of commemoration between Memorial Day (Those who have died) and Veterans Day (those who have served) but Canada only has one that commemorates both.

November 11th is treated as a very solemn day. Memorial Day seems less about honouring those who have died and more about celebrating the start of summer. You would never hear of a Remembrance Day party.

As far as owning maple leaf things, the only thing I own with one is my Winnipeg Jets jersey which has a maple leaf design on the logo.

November 11th is treated as a very solemn day. Memorial Day seems less about honouring those who have died and more about celebrating the start of summer. You would never hear of a Remembrance Day party.

As far as owning maple leaf things, the only thing I own with one is my Winnipeg Jets jersey which has a maple leaf design on the logo.
Many Americans do treat Memorial Day as a solemn day. I know personally I'll watch the National Memorial Day Concert on Sunday night and Monday I'll watch President Biden lay the wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns followed by ceremonies in the Amphitheater. Unfortunately, the day has been commercialized as a start to summer, but I'd venture to say most Americans do recognize the day for what it is.

Many Americans do treat Memorial Day as a solemn day. I know personally I'll watch the National Memorial Day Concert on Sunday night and Monday I'll watch President Biden lay the wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns followed by ceremonies in the Amphitheater. Unfortunately, the day has been commercialized as a start to summer, but I'd venture to say most Americans do recognize the day for what it is.
Most remember/honor the military in the morning and BBQ in the afternoon. You can be respectful and celebrate on the same day. Nothing wrong with that.

Well and having a bbq or party outside in November isn't really feasible in most parts of Canada 🤨😂
And even if it was, there is no part of Remembrance Day that is festive or celebratory, nor, in my opinion, is it particularly sad or mournful. Just very somber and solemnly respectful. Which is I guess why the attempt by some retailers a few years back to advertise "Remembrance Day Sales" was so entirely out-of-place and ill-received. And FWIW, the military families I know don't even themselves see the day as a time to gather together for meals or parties or whatever. Remembrance Day is a pretty uniquely public occasion of national unity and observance. I find that very touching. :flower3:

Last edited:
And even if it was, there is no part of Remembrance Day that is festive or celebratory, nor, in my opinion, is it particularly sad or mournful. Just very somber and solemnly respectful. Which is I guess why the attempt by some retailers a few years back to advertise "Remembrance Day Sales" was so entirely out-of-place and ill-received. And FWIW, the military families I know don't even themselves see the day as a time to gather together for meals or parties or whatever. Remembrance Day is a pretty uniquely public occasion of national unity and observance. I find that very touching. :flower3:
Veterans Day is more like Remembrance Day. Memorial Day is separate.

People still BBQ in November in the USA.

I still BBQ in November. I found at around -15C (5F) that it’s too hard to keep a consistent heat but that’s been middle of December here lately.
I don't doubt it.

We don't have any coverage in our yard, our patio is not covered. BBQing in rain in November when it's 4C but feels like 0C with the rain pounding down just ain't for us man :rotfl2:

Canadians, I have a question and I hope this isn't seen as political. I heard Canadians living in the USA are some of the most likely to over stay their visa. So my question, if that's true, if you were eligible for US citizenship then why wouldn't most apply for it to avoid this issue? Just a random question that I hope is okay to ask.

Canadians, I have a question and I hope this isn't seen as political. I heard Canadians living in the USA are some of the most likely to over stay their visa. So my question, if that's true, if you were eligible for US citizenship then why wouldn't most apply for it to avoid this issue? Just a random question that I hope is okay to ask.

Canadians do not need a visa to come to the states. They can stay up to six months but can ask for extended time when crossing into the states.

Canadians do not need a visa to come to the states. They can stay up to six months but can ask for extended time when crossing into the states.
Sorry, I meant work visas mostly. Like what happened in "The Proposal ". I could be wrong but I think statistically work visas issues (not renewing them on time) are more of an issue for Canadians instead of tourist visas. I going to see if I can find that statistic.

Sorry, I meant work visas mostly. Like what happened in "The Proposal ". I could be wrong but I think statistically work visas issues (not renewing them on time) are more of an issue for Canadians instead of tourist visas. I going to see if I can find that statistic.
For many classes of occupation, American work visa belongs to the company that's employing the foreign worker, and are valid for that person only while they are in the specific position. There are rules about the "need" to have a foreigner in a given position, as opposed to an American citizen. The employee is not free to resign and just hang around in the States, or change jobs at will, unless they have, on their own merit, obtained a regular green card. I know this because a close relative was in the situation. He got his own documentation when he knew the original position was winding down, and now owns and operates a small business. He's been married to an American for 20 years and both his kids were born there. While it's unlikely he'll ever come back to permanently reside in Canada, he has no plans to take US citizenship.

From what I can see, the stats do not agree with what you have heard.

https://cis.org/Report/Latest-DHS-Report-Overstays-2020-Brings-Mixed-News

This report adds Canada and Mexico numbers together but the largest number of overstays was from people arriving on a short term visa. This made up 52% of overstays where the number from Canada and Mexico added together made up 20%.

Edited to add: the country with the highest number of overstays in 2020 was China, with nearly 11,000.

For many classes of occupation, American work visa belongs to the company that's employing the foreign worker, and are valid for that person only while they are in the specific position. There are rules about the "need" to have a foreigner in a given position, as opposed to an American citizen. The employee is not free to resign and just hang around in the States, or change jobs at will, unless they have, on their own merit, obtained a regular green card. I know this because a close relative was in the situation. He got his own documentation when he knew the original position was winding down, and now owns and operates a small business. He's been married to an American for 20 years and both his kids were born there. While it's unlikely he'll ever come back to permanently reside in Canada, he has no plans to take US citizenship.
From what I can see, the stats do not agree with what you have heard.

https://cis.org/Report/Latest-DHS-Report-Overstays-2020-Brings-Mixed-News

This report adds Canada and Mexico numbers together but the largest number of overstays was from people arriving on a short term visa. This made up 52% of overstays where the number from Canada and Mexico added together made up 20%.

Edited to add: the country with the highest number of overstays in 2020 was China, with nearly 11,000.
Thanks for the correction and information.

Well, I can respond to part of this...hopefully not too political, as you say, but I have no desire to "become American" or pledge allegiance to the American flag. I am Canadian through and through. In fact, I have gone so far as to tell my husband that if I happen to die here, he had better not bury me here. He needs to take me back to Canada or I will most definitely haunt him!!! :rotfl:

Some of the Americans we have talked to (I'm not saying ALL Americans) seem shocked that we wouldn't want to become citizens of this "most amazing country" and are doubly shocked that we have lived here as long as we have with no desire to become citizens. We started off on an H1B, I think it's called and have worked our way up to green cards, but citizenship is totally off the table. I can't stress this enough! We are here simply because my husband has skills that were/are very sought after in the US and nothing more. If/when that stops being the case, I will gladly be packing my bags and heading home.

So I guess that is my answer...applying for citizenship is not a get-out-of-jail-free card. There is serious reflection that needs to take place. You have to COMMIT to a country for citizenship. That is not a decision you make just so you can save yourself a few steps in some work visa paperwork. That would be ridiculous.

ETA: I don't know if you realize the intensive process you need to go through for citizenship. First, you have to qualify, then there are a LOT of steps. I know what we went through just for green cards. You have to prove your vaccinations are up to date, make sure you don't have any communicable diseases (despite living here for YEARS), fill out tons of paperwork, etc. It is much more for citizenship...being tested on American topics, the swearing in, likely all kinds of background checks, etc. I haven't been through it, but I don't think it is as simple as saying, "I would like to be an American now."

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!