Americans and Canadians culture Q&A Thread.

Hiking. I live like 30 minutes from the north side of Shenandoah National Park. And I'm just a few miles from the AT. Lots of good hiking in my area.

Also about an hour from DC, so lots to explore and do in the area.

All Canadians ok after Fiona hit the Maritimes? I can’t remember off the top of my head anyone but @declansdad , is anyone else on the coast?

Nothing where I am but a little wind but as you move east it was pretty bad. Pretty much all of PEI was or is without power and most of Nova Scotia. Seeing lots of damage through Cape Breton, PEI and the west coast of NL. A few houses washed away on NL, swept a couple of women out to sea. One woman was recovered but not the other. Lots of cleanup to do throughout the region.

Let's play how to spot the Canadian (in a mix of many nationalities based in Europe):

Coworker 1: Anyone else smell burning?
Rest of us: No
Coworker 1: I smell toast
Coworker 2: Maybe you're having a stroke?
Everyone but me: ...
Me: Where in Canada are from?

Yes, I know it is epilepsy, not a stroke, but...

Let's play how to spot the Canadian (in a mix of many nationalities based in Europe):

Coworker 1: Anyone else smell burning?
Rest of us: No
Coworker 1: I smell toast
Coworker 2: Maybe you're having a stroke?
Everyone but me: ...
Me: Where in Canada are from?

Yes, I know it is epilepsy, not a stroke, but...

Whenever someone says something is burning I always say that they need to call Dr. Penfield lol

Canadians, is there a famous American classic book that you have not read but may in the future? Examples: Tom Sawyer/Huckleberry Finn, Moby Dick, The Scarlet Letter, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court, the Prince and the Pauper.

Canadians, where in your country would you recommend for a honeymoon? I often hear Canada is a great place for a honeymoon but I’m curious what your opinions are.

Canadians, is there a famous American classic book that you have not read but may in the future? Examples: Tom Sawyer/Huckleberry Finn, Moby Dick, The Scarlet Letter, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court, the Prince and the Pauper.

Not classic but I am trying to work my way through all the books in Oprah’s book club. I’ve had a delay because my library card has to be renewed and I haven’t had the time to get to a library to renew it.

Okay, just to be safe, I'm going to toss something new out there...

I'm hosting a potluck at the Haskell Free Library and Opera House for people from both sides of the 49th parallel. (The library straddles the Canada/U.S. border, so everyone can participate without needing a passport or having issues with customs trying to smuggle food in.) You can bring ONE food from your area to share with everyone. It can be a cultural dish, a local specialty, something from your state fair, whatever you want, as long as you write a little bit to tell why you are sharing it. You don't have to be super specific about the area if it is too revealing.

I'll start...

I'm bringing Hurricones from Getty Foods in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. I had never heard of Hurricones before, but when I was back home this summer, my sister encouraged me to try one. Getting Hurricones is a family tradition for them when they go back. Hurricones are like the best Coke float, without the messy, gloppy drink part that loses its fizz. I have no idea if this is unique to Getty Foods, but I have never come across them elsewhere. To make one, the person starts by tipping a cup on its side and filling half of it with soft serve. They then fill the other half of the cup with your choice of slushie (Coke, Dr. Pepper, whatever is on tap). So good!

View attachment 701847
I'm definitely doing this next summer!

Canadians, is there a tv show that currently airs in Canada only that Americans should give a chance if it becomes available in the USA?

Canadians, is there a tv show that currently airs in Canada only that Americans should give a chance if it becomes available in the USA?
In this day and age, I can't imagine much that isn't viewable by Americans. Even Corner Gas has made it to certain streaming services. Two shows that immediately jump to mind are ones that are no longer being produced, Royal Canadian Air Farce (stopped filming in 2019) and The Rick Mercer Report. This Hour Has 22 Minutes (now called 22 Minutes), is still running, which focuses on Canadian politics, satire, etc. Pretty sure that one isn't widely available in the US, though you could likely stream it somewhere.

We’re watching a show on CTV and not sure if it airs in the US. It’s called TRANSPLANT. We weren’t sure if we’d watch it if it was just a medical show. However it is about a doctor and his young sister who come from Syria to Canada. It is so good. Lots of medical drama but also shows what it is like to be an immigrant in Canada. The second season has just started. We’re really enjoying it.

We’re watching a show on CTV and not sure if it airs in the US. It’s called TRANSPLANT. We weren’t sure if we’d watch it if it was just a medical show. However it is about a doctor and his young sister who come from Syria to Canada. It is so good. Lots of medical drama but also shows what it is like to be an immigrant in Canada. The second season has just started. We’re really enjoying it.
I watched an episode of that when I was back in Canada this summer and it was good! I forgot about that one. I need to see if I can find it.

In this day and age, I can't imagine much that isn't viewable by Americans. Even Corner Gas has made it to certain streaming services. Two shows that immediately jump to mind are ones that are no longer being produced, Royal Canadian Air Farce (stopped filming in 2019) and The Rick Mercer Report. This Hour Has 22 Minutes (now called 22 Minutes), is still running, which focuses on Canadian politics, satire, etc. Pretty sure that one isn't widely available in the US, though you could likely stream it somewhere.
https://www.cbc.ca/television/stillstanding
:lovestrucI absolutely LOVE this show. Johnny Harris is among the 3rd generation of amazing comedic talent coming out of Newfoundland and the premise of this show (stand-up comedy/documentary/reality) is extremely informative and sweet-spirited. It's a grass-roots slice-of-life in communities from coast-to-coast-to-coast and every single episode touches my heart and makes me proud. :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter