Americans and Canadians culture Q&A Thread.

That normally only impacts College sports not entertainment programming. And trust me, NBC, ABC, CBS and FOX often select the wrong college game for various regions. And working on the West Coast, if for example the evening news isn't airing on the East Coast, they won't produce an evening newscast for the west coast.
And it varies from year to year, but often programing like the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade are aired live in all regions.

Do you ever admit you are wrong?

That normally only impacts College sports not entertainment programming. And trust me, NBC, ABC, CBS and FOX often select the wrong college game for various regions. And working on the West Coast, if for example the evening news isn't airing on the East Coast, they won't produce an evening newscast for the west coast.
And it varies from year to year, but often programing like the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade are aired live in all regions.
Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest parade is not equivalent to the NYC Macy’s parade. 😂 It’s a local parade televised maybe in Ontario.
I’ve never heard of it until today.

Do you ever admit you are wrong?
I'm just looking for an answer. Off shoot on my former career where the first question is "what?" and the second question is "really, now can that be?"

Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest parade is not equivalent to the NYC Macy’s parade. 😂
I understand that. But the article I posted says 150,000 people turn out for it. Not the three million that turn out for the Macys parade but a pretty big number for a nation of 38 million.

I understand that. But the article I posted says 150,000 people turn out for it. Not the three million that turn out for the Macys parade but a pretty big number for a nation of 38 million.
There’s 14 million people in southern Ontario. And sounds like it’s also part of Oktoberfest which is cool.

Toronto is the 4th largest city in North America.

Last edited:

@Buzz Rules what time do you typically have your Thanksgiving dinner? Maybe I've just seen too many US tv shows but they always seem to host dinner mid afternoon (say, 2 or 3pm) where we traditionally have our meal at 'dinner time.'
Completely depends on the family. When I was a kid, we'd go to my dad's brother's house first and have the big meal in the early afternoon. Then we'd go to my maternal grandmother's house where the big meal was dinner around 6pm. These days we just go to my aunt's house (mom's sister) and it's still a 6pm-ish meal.
My state doesn't allow stores to open on Thanksgiving, so nobody is running out on Thanksgiving night to get ahead of Black Friday sales.

I'm just looking for an answer. Off shoot on my former career where the first question is "what?" and the second question is "really, now can that be?"
You’ve been given the answer by actual residents of BC, Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario and New Brunswick. It’s been explained. Perhaps you'd find talking to them directly more persuasive - industry professional to industry professional. I'm sure the folks up at CTV HQ won't steer you wrong. C'mon back after and let us know what they say:
1696423388415.png

@Frozen Canuck , we should include Thanksgiving on both sides of the border on the great American Canadian bus adventure. :duck: 🤣🚌🦅🦫🦬
We could just go to Disney and all eat at Liberty Tree Tavern. (Don't they serve a turkey dinner year round?) It would be the exact same thing. There is literally no difference (in my mind) between the two holidays as far as the celebration (i.e. food/family) part goes. The differences are more in the "entertainment" area, which have no basis in the origins of the holiday. I'm open to adding a celebratory meal that we can enjoy together as part of our Disboards family. It sounds like fun.

You’ve been given the answer by actual residents of BC, Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario and New Brunswick. It’s been explained. Perhaps you'd find talking to them directly more persuasive - industry professional to industry professional. I'm sure the folks up at CTV HQ won't steer you wrong. C'mon back after and let us know what they say:
View attachment 799285
No need, but I may check out the CTV live stream Monday.

You been given the answer many times, you just ignore it trying to prove you are right.
I was just getting conflicting information from other sources. Hold over from my career, like I said "Really, how can that be?". And the original poster said it was on CTV so even the DIS was not in agreement.

I wish we could get CTV and CBC here.

You’d find a very high percentage of shows you already get in the US on CTV but for us up here, with Canadian advertising.. there are some shows specifically made in Canada as the CRTC has strict Canadian content regulations for television, radio and media in general.

CBC is where you’d notice a bigger difference. It is a Crown Corporation funded by the government, hence Canadian content is front and centre. Original programming and Canadian versions of US shows like Family Feud, The Amazing Race, Shark Tank which is Dragons Den up here. Very little if any mainstream American programming, some British programming like Coronation Street, The Great British bake off.. Lots of historical drama’s, some political based shows.. It is definitely not like the US networks.. maybe a bit like PBS but then not exactly..

You’d find a very high percentage of shows you already get in the US on CTV but for us up here, with Canadian advertising.. there are some shows specifically made in Canada as the CRTC has strict Canadian content regulations for television, radio and media in general.

CBC is where you’d notice a bigger difference. It is a Crown Corporation funded by the government, hence Canadian content is front and centre. Original programming and Canadian versions of US shows like Family Feud, The Amazing Race, Shark Tank which is Dragons Den up here. Very little if any mainstream American programming, some British programming like Coronation Street, The Great British bake off.. Lots of historical drama’s, some political based shows.. It is definitely not like the US networks.. maybe a bit like PBS but then not exactly..
I was surprised the other week when an American poster mentioned they watched 2 Canadian sitcoms - Run the Burbs and Son of Critch I think. Both very good ones which I'm happy to hear are available in the USA. Other one not mentioned is Children Ruin Everything. Very cute little show and set in Toronto.

I was surprised the other week when an American poster mentioned they watched 2 Canadian sitcoms - Run the Burbs and Son of Critch I think. Both very good ones which I'm happy to hear are available in the USA. Other one not mentioned is Children Ruin Everything. Very cute little show and set in Toronto.

I think I saw someone mention Schitt’s Creek as well and lament on the crudeness of the name lol

That’s a cultural difference for sure! Janet Jackson shows a covered nip and there’s an FTC investigation. Up here, hearing the F word after a team wins the Stanley Cup is considered normal and hardly anyone bats an eye.

I think the CW network in the US has picked up Children Ruin Everything? I love that show, just started season 3 here in Canada :) The other two you mentioned might also have been picked up the the CW? Along with Sulivans Crossing which is also filmed here and shown on CTV. Happy to see more and more original Canadian content making its way across the border.

I think I saw someone mention Schitt’s Creek as well and lament on the crudeness of the name lol

That’s a cultural difference for sure! Janet Jackson shows a covered nip and there’s an FTC investigation. Up here, hearing the F word after a team wins the Stanley Cup is considered normal and hardly anyone bats an eye.
Personally loved the play on words in the title and enjoyed the show … ewwww David!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter