Americans and Canadians culture Q&A Thread.

Courtesy the Bunsen and Beaker Twitter feed. No relatives of mine are associated with this Twitter account. https://twitter.com/bunsenbernerbmd

"Thanksgiving is this weekend in Canada, a full month before our American friends celebrate their Thanksgiving.What is Canadian Thanksgiving?Also, what other holidays are held earlier than you would expect?As Canadian ambassadors we got you covered.

1. Canadian Thanksgiving is a time to come together with family to give thanks for many things. It’s also traditionally when the harvest is brought in.The MAIN reason we give thanks is that we are still alive and no members of our family have been killed by Geese or Moose.

2. Canadian Halloween has already occurred as it is celebrated September 4th. If we wait until October 31st it will be -25°C with a metre of snow and small children dressed as Spider-Man and Moana could be lost in the blizzards, their pillow cases of mini coffee crisps the only evidence of their existence.

3. Christmas, celebrated in December by the Americans, is pushed up about a month to November 20th here in Canada. Christmas isn’t a big deal up here, because we have Boxing Day. Boxing Day is held on December 26th. Boxes of Tim Horton’s Doughnuts are shared and we all wear flannel on this special day. It is a day of sledding, ice hockey watching, and boxes.

4. Finally we have special day in Late January called +1. This day moves year to year, because it can only be celebrated when Environment Canada issues a forecast with a warmer than average day with a temperature of +1°C. The first +1 day brings hope and joy to a nation that hasn’t seen the sun in a month.Some years +1 day doesn’t happen until February or March and those years are dark and sad.We don’t like to talk much about them.

There are other odd Canadian Holidays like Family Day, Labour Day, and Beaver Day, but those are stories for another time.We hope this little slice of Canadian information helps you understand our early Thanksgiving!Have a good one, eh!"

Just checking in….didn’t know I set off a whole tv thing…lol

Im pretty sure I just said my home town has a parade for Thanksgiving and Oktoberfest. Didn’t say it was as big as Macy’s either. Someone said they never heard of a parade in Canada for this. Or national.

I will go back to enjoying my Hawaiian cruise this is our last day on the ship. Canadian Thanksgiving was not mentioned at all either. I did say Happy Thanksgiving to the 3 Canadians workers in the store. They were very happy since they can’t tell who is Canadian or not…lol

We are docked in Maui until 11 pm , out I go again, only 5:00 now.

I got my turkey today.:goodvibes Do you guys pardon two turkeys in Canada every Thanksgiving? We do that in the USA.

Good luck to Canada this week while they try to qualify for Copa America 2024. I know most don't care about that but I still hope both our countries qualify.

Americans and Canadians culture Q&A Thread. Both our countries are similar yet different in cultures. So I thought it would fun if Disboarder’s asked questions they had about the other’s county. Knowledge brings people together rather than further apart. Our countries are great allies and neighbors but since we are not the same, it would great to have questions answered that may seem confusing to an outsider. For example, I never understood why we pronounce the letter Z as “zee” while Canadians say “zed”. Is it simply due to British influence? :-) 🇺🇸🤝🇨🇦
This! What is with "zed"!!!

I grew up near the Canadian border on the WA side. Since my last name begins with "Z" a few of my friends in high school would call me zed just to tick me off. Almost 40 years later I am still getting happy birthday wishes on facebook, "Happy B-day Zed"

Help me out y'all

This! What is with "zed"!!!

I grew up near the Canadian border on the WA side. Since my last name begins with "Z" a few of my friends in high school would call me zed just to tick me off. Almost 40 years later I am still getting happy birthday wishes on facebook, "Happy B-day Zed"

Help me out y'all
Blame the British.

For fellow Americans and Canadians living in the USA, have a great Thanksgiving week. :-) I will be working on Thanksgiving this year, so I'm a little disappointed that I will be missing the parade and dog show this year. 😞 But I will be able to enjoy a great turkey dinner after work, so at least I can look forward to that. 😊 I am very thankful for the Disboards and for all the great conversations we have here. 🙏

Buzz's question of the day. Does Canada have national sports training facilities for their national teams/Olympic teams? The USA has several as far as I'm aware. In fact the USMNT announced a new training facility to be built in Atlanta. So I'm curious if team Canada has facilities in specific areas of the country like Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver?

As a Canadian, I find the US Thanksgiving fascinating. It goes with almost any holiday. For the most part Canadians tend to get together with family on holidays. It feels like in the US it's more about vacation and traveling

As a Canadian, I find the US Thanksgiving fascinating. It goes with almost any holiday. For the most part Canadians tend to get together with family on holidays. It feels like in the US it's more about vacation and traveling
The focus is family, sports, and food.

Americans get so little vacation time, so many people take any days off they can get to squeeze in a vacation. Also a lot of people don't live close to their families, so they need to travel to be together for the holiday.
My family is close by and we've always stayed around home to celebrate together.

Americans get so little vacation time, so many people take any days off they can get to squeeze in a vacation. Also a lot of people don't live close to their families, so they need to travel to be together for the holiday.
My family is close by and we've always stayed around home to celebrate together.
This. 💯

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter