Americans and Canadians culture Q&A Thread.

It what way? Until recently (and, honestly, I've checked in a couple of weeks so not sure the exact rate right now), the EURO was trading above the USD, so spending 1,000 EURO would convert to spending 1,200 USD (or whatever - but more than 1,000 USD). And, even after converting to USD (or maybe especially after converting), things in France are not cheap in comparison to the US (again, talking at a national level).

could see Americans spending less in Europe (in EURO) because of the exchange but the comparisons in the table are USD and I can certainly see how exchange rates can affect spending, but not sure, in this specific case, how the EURO/USD exchange rate would lead to such a big difference. The currency differences don't seem to be enough to explain that massive difference.

ETA - this isn't me giving you hard time Buzz. Honestly, not sure and just thinking things through.
Lately the dollar and euro have been very close. I think the euro is at $1.03 now, but it was under a dollar last month when I was in Belgium. That was nice.

In my experience, the touristy areas in Europe are less expensive than the touristy areas in the US. Restaurant prices in Paris are not as jacked up as they are in New York, for instance (especially when you remember the prices in Paris include tax and tip).

Opinionated or loud personality? Overall positive view about the US with rose colored glasses? Sing the anthem proudly? Not saying that’s your friends, just some examples of what I hear other nations think of us. I think there’s a cultural difference between the coasts, midwest, and south though when one thinks about the American stereotype.

They don't sound like you do in many of these posts, think the USA is the best and it is what everyone strives for. That just isn't the case. Many times you state your assumptions and opinions as fact, that's the stereotypical part. Even you own countrymen call you out on it.

This part?:

Is this not a fact? I would argue that when the British Empire existed, they felt similar to how most Americans have a slight arrogant attitude today.

No it is not fact, it is an opinion. The US is not the most influential country in the world and comparing it to the British Empire may have been true decades ago, it is no longer true.

Lately the dollar and euro have been very close. I think the euro is at $1.03 now, but it was under a dollar last month when I was in Belgium. That was nice.

In my experience, the touristy areas in Europe are less expensive than the touristy areas in the US. Restaurant prices in Paris are not as jacked up as they are in New York, for instance (especially when you remember the prices in Paris include tax and tip).
How was Belgium?

They don't sound like you do in many of these posts, think the USA is the best and it is what everyone strives for. That just isn't the case.
I’ve never said this. I said that’s what many citizens think we do, as the video showed.

Many times you state your assumptions and opinions as fact, that's the stereotypical part. Even you own countrymen call you out on it.
In the majority of my statements I state that this is what I believe to be true based on where I live or the areas I’ve been to. I back up my statements many times with articles or videos. I don’t purposefully lie in any post or try to mislead anyone on this thread. And I always acknowledge something I said is wrong when someone posts a recent article that explains why something has change or what I have heard is incorrect.

No it is not fact, it is an opinion. The US is not the most influential country in the world and comparing it to the British Empire may have been true decades ago, it is no longer true.
How are we not? I’m genuinely asking. We are a world superpower militarily, economically, one the most technically advanced, and the global media market. I didn’t make up the term world order, we constantly hear that in recent news stories. China does not have the world power status yet, nor does it have world dominance. I’m not saying America is the best, just confused why you don’t think we still dominate in terms of influence. I’m trying to say this in a way that does not come across as arrogant but with the politest tone that can be seen in a virtual chat (as stated before on this thread, tone is hard to decipher sometimes in posts).

I’ve never said this. I said that’s what many citizens think we do, as the video showed.

In the majority of my statements I state that this is what I believe to be true based on where I live or the areas I’ve been to. I back up my statements many times with articles or videos. I don’t purposefully lie in any post or try to mislead anyone on this thread. And I always acknowledge something I said is wrong when someone posts a recent article that explains why something has change or what I have heard is incorrect.

How are we not? I’m genuinely asking. We are a world superpower militarily, economically, one the most technically advanced, and the global media market. I didn’t make up the term world order, we constantly hear that in recent news stories. China does not have the world power status yet, nor does it have world dominance. I’m not saying America is the best, just confused why you don’t think we still dominate in terms of influence. I’m trying to say this in a way that does not come across as arrogant but with the politest tone that can be seen in a virtual chat (as stated before on this thread, tone is hard to decipher sometimes in posts).

To answer that question would take this thread in a political direction, and we all know what will happen if it goes in that direction.

Actually, you rarely back up your statements with articles or videos. Sometimes you try, but actually what you post doesn’t say what your original post says. And, honestly, I really don’t understand why you still think that your experience in one small part of the country or in interactions with one small group of people is enough for you to constantly make statements about “All Americans“ or “All Europeans”. You‘ve been called out on it enough times, you’d think you‘d, maybe, learn?

Actually, you rarely back up your statements with articles or videos. Sometimes you try, but actually what you post doesn’t say what your original post says. And, honestly, I really don’t understand why you still think that your experience in one small part of the country or in interactions with one small group of people is enough for you to constantly make statements about “All Americans“ or “All Europeans”. You‘ve been called out on it enough times, you’d think you‘d, maybe, learn?
I do listen and learn. I may have an east coast perspective but I have known people from different parts of the country. I don’t say all Americans/all insert group here. I usually say I believe ______ based on ______. I have always apologized for a post that has been taken the wrong way or unintentionally had incorrect information. Frankly, I wonder if this thread has run its course. Or if the thread is better off without me. I’m honestly tired of be told off as being arrogant, ignorant, or pompous.

It is a stat here in BC as well. I grew up in Ottawa so remember going to many Remembrance Day assemblies at school.

I live just a few blocks away from a Navy base and there is a cenotaph just a few minutes walk away. I have a very busy day today as DH and I are leaving early tomorrow for a business trip but I will absolutely be taking a moment at 11am to reflect on what this day means to me.

So, every week at our company we have one staff member do what we call "lunch and learn" where they get a chance to make a 30 min presentation on a topic that interests them. (stay with me, I am actually going somewhere with this!) This week we decided to have people talk about Remembrance Day and what it means to them. My husband was one of the people who spoke as he is a Navy Veteran. He spoke about his time in the military and also told a story about what happened to a friend of his who was deployed to Croatia. Now, my husband almost never cries but on Wednesday I watched him on Teams, crying in front of all his staff.

For anyone who is curious about the story he told, you can read about it here His friend is the Master Corporal who was saved.
I'm born and raised in BC and we were in school on November 11th, not quite sure when it changed here. My husband actually had to work on Friday, one of the few businesses that did (UPS). They used to have it off but when they negotiated a new contract in 2020 for some unknown reason it was changed and now UPSer's have to work on November 11th in BC. Odd.

I'm born and raised in BC and we were in school on November 11th, not quite sure when it changed here. My husband actually had to work on Friday, one of the few businesses that did (UPS). They used to have it off but when they negotiated a new contract in 2020 for some unknown reason it was changed and now UPSer's have to work on November 11th in BC. Odd.

We got it off when I was in early grades (Ontario). This may be an urban legend type thing, but I had understood that they stopped giving kids the off of school because, the point of the day off was so that children could join their families at services (e.g. at the cenotaph) but that this wasn't happening (it was just being used as a holiday/for shopping/whatever). So, keeping kids at school meant that services could be conducted in the schools. Again, could totally be an urban legend type thing and be way off base.

We got it off when I was in early grades (Ontario). This may be an urban legend type thing, but I had understood that they stopped giving kids the off of school because, the point of the day off was so that children could join their families at services (e.g. at the cenotaph) but that this wasn't happening (it was just being used as a holiday/for shopping/whatever). So, keeping kids at school meant that services could be conducted in the schools. Again, could totally be an urban legend type thing and be way off base.
No it makes complete sense, except it's the opposite here in BC (of course it is lol) where we WERE in school on November 11th and now the kids are NOT in school. Sounds backwards to me lol

Good luck today Canada. :-)

Okay, on to my questions.

Canadians, name an American food product you really enjoy.

Americans, name a Canadian food product you really enjoy.

Canadians, name an American invention that your thankful for.

Americans, name a Canadian invention you are grateful for.

Canadians, do you have any questions about American national parks?

Americans, do you have any questions about Canadian national parks?

Good luck today Canada. :-)

Okay, on to my questions.

Canadians, name an American food product you really enjoy.
Cheesecake Factory White Chocolate Raspberry cheesecake
Ben & Jerry’s Ice cream white russian or cherry garcia flavors

Americans, name a Canadian food product you really enjoy.

Canadians, name an American invention that your thankful for.
Car, Computer, cell phone…
Americans, name a Canadian invention you are grateful for.

Canadians, do you have any questions about American national parks?
Nope..
Americans, do you have any questions about Canadian national parks?

Enjoy the game(s) today Buzz!

@Buzz Rules , I thought of you the other day! We are in a very diverse population area, and my son is one of few multi generation Canadians in his high school. Most are either new to the country or first generation. So, sports events can be a big deal I guess because they pulled down the projection screen in the cafeteria at lunch for the game the other day. Pretty sure he wouldn’t have known who was playing, and I’m not sure if they did it any other days. I am going to ask, but wanted to let you know that fun fact!

@Buzz Rules , I thought of you the other day! We are in a very diverse population area, and my son is one of few multi generation Canadians in his high school. Most are either new to the country or first generation. So, sports events can be a big deal I guess because they pulled down the projection screen in the cafeteria at lunch for the game the other day. Pretty sure he wouldn’t have known who was playing, and I’m not sure if they did it any other days. I am going to ask, but wanted to let you know that fun fact!
Canada will be soccer obsessed by 2026. Mark my words. And @Buzz Rules will be the reason why. *villain laugh in the background* 🤣

Canada will be soccer obsessed by 2026. Mark my words. And @Buzz Rules will be the reason why. *villain laugh in the background* 🤣
So the lunch soccer was a one day thing, they haven’t done it since. And as I suspected, he had no idea which teams were playing. He doesn’t even watch hockey, just not a sports kid!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter