Americans and Canadians culture Q&A Thread.

So the lunch soccer was a one day thing, they haven’t done it since. And as I suspected, he had no idea which teams were playing. He doesn’t even watch hockey, just not a sports kid!
He may like the WC songs though. Check them out on my World Cup thread if you would like.

I didn’t play any. Actually none of my immediate family did sports. My sister did a bit of track in high school.

My husband did hockey and football. My son did football in high school but did baseball from when he was 4 years old until high school. It was his favourite. Now he’s a Packers and Blue Jays fan. Would have probably did hockey but didn‘t want to learn how to skate until he was 10. Penguins is his team .

I don’t watch sports of any kind on tv but loved watching my son play baseball. My husband and son watch and message each other all the time.

Some Black Friday sales started last week already here.

I was told in some stores it will only be on Friday and they didn’t know what will be on sale until the morning. I haven’t looked at any flyers that come out today. Don’t really need anything major. No more it toys or games from Santa.

I did get some things on sale yesterday and some price matching of stuff I bought 2 weeks ago on some clothes I bought for my daughter.

Unfortunately, yes. Black Friday sales have now overtaken our traditional day of annual shopping for bargains, which had always been Boxing Day. Not sure why this bugs me so much, but it does. :mad:
It brings in tax revenue in November that your country would not normally receive and creates more business opportunities. I would think the economic boom would be seen as a plus. :confused3 :duck:

Canadians, do you learn about Evacuation Day (1783) in detail at all or is most of the Revolution lightly covered except for parts directly related to Canada? I believe you guys learn about about the pilgrims and the battle of Yorktown. But how much of these two videos information did you already know?(not a criticism just curious). In my school we learned a lot about Canada and Mexico when ever an event affecting us influenced something else in one of our neighboring countries.

https://www.nypl.org/blog/2014/11/24/evacuation-day-new-york-holiday

Is there a historical event that happened in Canada that Americans should learn about in schools that isn’t already covered?

Canadians, do you learn about Evacuation Day (1783) in detail at all or is most of the Revolution lightly covered except for parts directly related to Canada? I believe you guys learn about about the pilgrims and the battle of Yorktown. But how much of these two videos information did you already know?(not a criticism just curious). In my school we learned a lot about Canada and Mexico when ever an event affecting us influenced something else in one of our neighboring countries.

https://www.nypl.org/blog/2014/11/24/evacuation-day-new-york-holiday

Is there a historical event that happened in Canada that Americans should learn about in schools that isn’t already covered?
I really don’t think we go back that much in history and don’t learn about battles really. The early days we learn about are the early settlers, they don’t use the terms pilgrims and pioneers in Ontario any more. And they are focusing on the indigenous people more than anything else. In high school, there is only a grade 10 history and a grade 12 history in my city’s school board. The grade 10 history is Canada in the early 20th century to present day. The grade 12 one is world history. Only the grade 10 history is mandatory.

Now, I am not a history buff. And I’m an elementary teacher, but the k-7 levels are general social studies and not history. My son does say they learned about the battle of 1812 but not in great depth. And being not a history buff…I am not going to watch the videos you so nicely shared (genuinely) because I’m really not interested in them. Yorktown…ummm I can sing along to the song from Hamilton about it lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter